The rise of Fulham

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 286K
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2020/21: SEMI-FINAL DRAW

Here are the four teams that made it to the semi-finals.
View attachment 249996

I just wanted to avoid Real Madrid. And thankfully, we did.
View attachment 249991

PSG are a tough team. We faced PSG in the semi-finals last season as well. More Champions League deja vu.

Last season, PSG beat us 3-1 in Paris in the first leg. We turned it around with a resounding 5-0 victory in the second leg at home. Will this season produce similar drama? Only time will tell....​

For the fourth game in a row, we were forced to come from behind. We dominated the game during the early exchanges but Ogenyi Onazi put Newcastle ahead with a header from a freekick that was floated into the box. We went behind once again.

However, Newcastle's lead lasted only six minutes. Tonny Vilhena equalized with a shot from all of 25 yards. The ball hit the woodwork before crossing the line. The first half didn't have much action after that. Both teams were content to head into the break with a level scoreline. I'm glad our lads did that as I wanted to make some tactical changes.

Some harsh words and change in tactics at half time had their effect as we began the second half with a lot more aggression. Artur scored in the 56th minute after Pat Roberts did brilliantly to set him up. Excellent dribbling skills by Roberts!

Woodrow came on for Jimenez, who was surprisingly ineffective. Woodrow's introduction improved our fluidity. His false nine playstyle as opposed to Jimenez's poacher playstyle suits my tactic better. Woodrow's hardwork and persistence paid off when he scored a goal in the 88th minute. It was a thunderous effort from just inside the box. 3 goals and 3 points sealed!

League table

So, here's how it looks with only a handful of games to go:

View attachment 249975 View attachment 249974

4 points lead at the top over Liverpool. We have 5 games to play and Liverpool have four. We are bound to finish in the top two as Chelsea and Man City can't catch up.

9 points in the 5 remaining games will seal us the title. It sounds relatively easy but it's actually not. We have a really tough run-in as we approach the end of the season.

The Run-In:
Here are the remaining fixtures:
View attachment 249971

We have to play four away games in the last five, and the only home game we have is against Liverpool. We also have to face Chelsea and Arsenal away. Arsenal have been disappointing but they are still a big club. Norwich are in 6th spot and are competing for a Europa League spot, and won't make it easy for us. Southampton have always been a bit tricky for us, especially away from home.

Jeez! Looks like I can't go through a game without having several nervous moments.

Norwich surprised everyone with their tactics. I thought they'd attack and try to get a goal but instead they were content to sit back and grind for the draw. And it very nearly worked. Very nearly!

In the first half, we had 15 shots, 8 on target as opposed to Norwich's 4 attempts with none on target. We dominated possession with 63%. But the scoreline stayed at 0-0. Just about every one except the back four and the keeper came close to scoring.

At the break, I told them to keep going. I didn't want to lash out at them as they were trying hard. I pulled Jimenez to the side and told him to focus harder.

We kept knocking at the door and finally, the goal came in the 86th minute. Stafylidis drilled a cross into the box towards the far post and Roberts made a nice run and tucked it away. We went 1-0 up finally. In the 88th minute, Norwich had their first shot on target and a very good save by Bettinelli denied them.

The ref. indicated 3 minutes of added time. However, it was already 4 minutes and the referee wasn't blowing his whistle. 5 mins gone and still no whistle. WTF! We were into the sixth minute of the added time and Norwich came so close to scoring. A close range effort by the Norwich striker deflected off the post before crossing the line for a goal kick. If that had gone in, I would have ran to the referee and got into a fight with him right there.

I threw away the water bottle in my hand and rushed towards the fourth official. I was pointing at the watch and his board, and my face turned red. I was angry. Finally, after 7 minutes the referee blew his whistle. I gave a sarcastic applause to the referee before shaking hands with my opposite number in the Norwich dug out and went into the tunnel.

Another 1-0 victory with the referee very nearly ******** us over. The first half was very lackluster with neither team being able to properly control the game. Then two decisions went against us in a space of 10 minutes. Roberts was fouled twice inside the Southampton box but the referee decided to not give the penalty. At that moment, I felt like it was going to be another frustrating afternoon.

We tried to breakthrough but the had a goal disallowed as offside. Jimenez was actually marginally on. The nerve on my forehead was almost about to pop but then Foday Nabay scored a 20 yarder. Jimenez was tackled by Nathaniel Clyne but the ball fell straight to Nabay outside the area, who smashed home a lovely shot.

I wasn't going to take any chances and brought on Amorebieta to shore up the defense. It was a proactive move as I wanted these 3 points badly. So'ton didn't create a whole lot to threaten us and in the end, it was smooth sailing. Another 3 points in the bag.

3 points from the remaining 3 games will seal us the title!

ECC 2020/21: Semi Final Leg 1 (vs. PSG)

Comfortable victory! For the first time in about 5 games or so, we performed like a top team!

We started with real intent and Jimenez put us ahead after just 12 minutes played. Roberts dribbled past two defenders and unleashed a powerful shot at goal. Sirigu couldn't hold it and dropped it into Jimenez's path, who slotted it in. PSG had their wonderkid Carlos Henriquez injured and were really struggling to find a way through our defense.

Artur put us 2-0 ahead in the 37th minute. It was very similar to the first goal. Vilhena's effort from 25 yards was deflected by Sirigu into the path of Artur, who had an empty net to aim for. From six yards, the Brazilian was never going to miss despite the narrow angle. We ended the first half dominantly.

With Woodrow injured yet again and Jimenez feeling tired, I had to make a change at half time. Alex Kacaniklic came on for the striker and Artur was moved to the number nine position. The second half seemed a lot more even compared to the first but a brilliant move put us 3-0 ahead. Lovely link-up play in the midfield released Kacaniklic on the left flank who had no trouble beating the full back and drilling a low cross in. With the PSG defense stretched thin, Artur managed to find a lot of space to tuck the ball in from 3 yards. It was a beautifully worked goal.

We ended the game on a high with lion's share of possession in the final 5 minutes. PSG were thoroughly beaten. We go to Paris with a 3 goal advantage! We've got to be huge favourites for this tie now.

8th May 2021

We play Chelsea tomorrow and Liverpool host Southampton today. I watched the game during my lunch break and a late goal by Schar meant Southampton held Liverpool to a draw.

This result means Liverpool are 6 points behind us and only have 2 games left. We still have 3 games left and as long as we get a solitary point, the League is ours. We can wrap it up tomorrow if we manage to avoid defeat to our local rivals Chelsea.

Jesus how long ago has Messi been at Chelsea, and how much did he go for?

Congrats on the league by the way man, KIU

Jesus how long ago has Messi been at Chelsea, and how much did he go for?

Congrats on the league by the way man, KIU

He only moved recently. This is his first season at Chelsea. I believe Chelsea bought him for just under 4 milion.

View attachment 248591
Magnifique!

PSG are a tough side. Their attack is quite strong with Brazilian wonderkid Carlos Henruqiez leading the line. With 3-0 advantage in the first leg, I went ultra-defensively with 3 central defenders to counter their 3 striker formation. It worked in the opening 20 minutes as our central trio pressed their strikers and denied them time and space to create much.

In the 23rd minute, Hervin Ongenda scored one for PSG. It was a really bad goal to concede. After defending so well in the opening 20 minutes, our defense switched off and allowed a long clearance get through very easily. It was a nicely taken goal but we could've avoided that. Barring that lone moment of concentration lapse, our defense was absolutely fantastic. PSG has 60% possession and the game was largely being played in our half. But it didn't worry me. We focused on defense in training and we were executing it brilliantly. PSG really weren't threatening much in terms of goal-scoring despite their possession.

In the second half, I brought Kacaniklic on for Artur. It's me being 'better safe than sorry'. Artur is more suitable for games where we dominate possession and control the game. I started with Artur hoping for some solo magic but it wasn't meant to be. For a similar reason, I brought Woodrow on for Jimenez.

Kacaniklic's determination paid off when he found himself in a good position to level us on the night and grab the all important away goal. A goal kick by Sirigu was intercepted by Mike Roper (Right back) and our counter attack caught PSG napping. Kacaniklic put the finishing touches. PSG now needed 4 goals to win the tie in just under 30 minutes.

They did manage to score in the 80th minute when a free kick into our box was miscalculated by Bettinelli. He came for the ball but it went beyond him and Gomes was there at the far post to make it 2-1 for PSG.

3 mins later, Woodrow equalized. A deft header from 6 yards or so. Sweet finish.
The game was all but over then. With 4 goals needed in under 10 minutes, PSG gave up. The last 5 minutes were very dull with the stadium completely silent except for a pocket of Fulham fans who turned up on the night to cheer for the club!

View attachment 248585
Third Champions League final in a row!!

We face the most successful club in the history of the Champions League - Real Madrid. We actually have a decent record against Real but this is the final, where past records don't matter!

I really hope we get third time lucky. I really do!​

Back