The rise of Fulham

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 286K
The summary of my time at Fulham:
View attachment 247033
3 Premier League titles, 3 FA Cups, 3 Capital One Cups, 1 Champions League, 2 Community Shields and 1 Sky Bet Championship. 13 trophies in 7 seasons and more importantly, I have won atleast one competition each season.

I've also won four manager of the year awards - three in the Premier League and one in my very first season in charge of the club. The challenge is for me to keep adding more trophies to the cabinet whichever club I go to.

21st June 2021

It's been a week since I left Fulham and I feel bored already! If I were at a club, I'd be busy dealing with the contracts, transfers, preparing for the upcoming season etc.

However, it hasn't been completely dull though. I have been spending some time conversing on the phone about potential club options where I could fit. Through some well-connected sources, I found out that Inter Milan and Wolfsburg may be interested in my services. But neither club has approached me directly, yet.

Both are interesting options for me. Neither club has been really successful off-late and it is exactly the challenge I would be interested in. I am, however, still waiting for the board to approach me.

Here are Inter and Wolfsburg's recent League positions. Suffice to say, the clubs could do much better....

View attachment 247019View attachment 247024
View attachment 247021View attachment 247023

Nice options, Wolfsburg is probably an even bigger challenge but Inter isn't looking great either.

Nice options, Wolfsburg is probably an even bigger challenge but Inter isn't looking great either.

Yep, both the clubs are good challenges.There are not a lot of offers available at this point.

This is such a tough decision!! :@

Yep, both the clubs are good challenges.There are not a lot of offers available at this point.

This is such a tough decision!! :@

Based on my experiences from my story, I'm finding Italy an incredibly fun nut to crack. Apart from Juve, there is a definite scrum for the other European places, so I'm not able to rest on my laurels at all

Great stuff mate - congrats on the Champions League win!! Good luck with the next post!

36915117.jpg

4th July 2021

Yesterday, I finalized my talks with the Lyon board and signed aView attachment 246834 three-year contract. Today's a big day - I will be facing the press for the first time as Lyon manager. Besides a few greetings and a handful of words, I don't know any French. Yesterday night, I ordered a "Learn French in 30 Days" book. I even asked a friend of mine who resides nearby to help me with my French. For now, I'll have to use a translator hired by the club.

Anyway, here I am. I'm staying in the comfortable hotel room arranged by the board till I find a new residence. The last few days have been really bizarre. To be honest, Lyon wasn't my first choice - Inter was. But my chat with the Italian club's board wasn't to my liking. They wanted me to win the Serie A within two seasons and the Champions League within three. That was too much pressure for me. Inter have a really mediocre squad and it'd take atleast 3 seasons for me to win the Champions League with them.

Lyon offers a new challenge. They are a top four side in the Ligue 1 but given PSG's huge spending, the club has struggled to exert dominance. Barring a title win in the 2019/20 season and a Coupe de la Ligue win in 2018, it has been a rather barren run for the club. My first job is to rectify that. Let's see how that goes!!

But before all that, I have to face the press today evening. I am feeling quite nervous. Right now, all that's going through my mind are a few French greetings that I'll use when I introduce myself to the world as Lyon manager. It's time to grab some lunch and then head over to the Stade des Lumieres.

Mind Games already?

It's been just over 3 days since I've been at Lyon and PSG's manager Sinisa Mihajlovic has already started playing mind games. The day after I gave my first ever press conference for the club, Mihaljovic had a very interesting press conference himself.

Interesting. The same day, I was approached by the press as I made way to the training ground to meet and discuss things with the staff. I decided to stay out of this till I got settled in. I responded in a neutral fashion.

Mihaljovic was not in a mood to back down. Within 24 hours, he made yet another snide remark. He sure is intent on riling me up!

View attachment 246783

Looks like Mr. Mihaljovic has forgotten that fact that my Fulham side sent his PSG packing from the Champions League last season. I could've continued this argument with him but I decided not to. I would rather focus on the job and hand. But when I do beat him, you can bet that I won't stay silent!

The squad

After spending a couple of days with the coaching staff and meeting the players, I had a chance to see them in action. The squad is quite decent. It's not spectacular but is well rounded.

Here's the first team:
View attachment 246510

One thing that really sticks out about this squad is the age. At Fulham, the average age of my first team was 25 but at Lyon, over half my team are above the age of 27. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it tells me that a lot of these players are already at their peak and I have to make sure to adjust my tactic to suit them rather than having them adapt to my ways. This is something I never had to do at Fulham as I had to work with a bunch of youngsters, whom I could mould the way I wanted.

GENERAL THOUGHTS:
  • Both Goalkeepers are great. This is one area that is very well covered. Diakhaby is only 23 and is already a top player. I'm excited to be working with him.
  • Defense is a mixed bag. I have a really solid first choice back four. However, a couple of central defenders are not quite at the level I expect and the the fullback area need a bit more depth.
  • Ageing midfield. The midfield is actually quite decent - that's all there is to say. Clement Grenier and Maxime Gonalons will play key roles in the middle of the park but barring those two, the midfield looks rather ordinary.
  • Clear lack of depth in wingers. This might force me to play a more narrow tactic, something I've rarely done at Fulham.
  • The strike force is, well, disappointing. We have two good strikers but both of them are not near their full potential yet. Besides Orlando Loties, none of the strikers have a finishing attribute above 14.
  • Sale: I may get rid of a striker and a central defender. We have way too many centerbacks and strikers at the moment who are not quite upto my standards, and instead of benching them for extended periods, its better to sell them and give them a shot at first team football elsewhere.
  • Buys: A winger is my top priority. The club severely lacks in wingers and my first job is to rectify that. I may also go for another proven striker.
Here are the attributes of the players who impressed me:
Babacar Diakhaby
View attachment 246508
Clement GraniereView attachment 246500
​Orlando Loties
View attachment 246497

Last edited:
View attachment 246382

I needed a winger, and I bought George Williams from Fulham. I've worked with him at Fulham and he's a really good player. Hardworking, energetic, and gives his 100% everytime he plays. It was easy to pry him away from Fulham as they signed two wingers after my departure.

Anyway, I am hoping this will work out in our favour. I think this will be the only piece of signing I will be doing this season. I thought about getting a striker but we have some decent youth prospects coming up and I'd like to stick with them.

Balancing the books:
I was given a transfer budget of 3.2M when I joined the club and Williams' signing drained most, if not all of that. So, I will be offloading a few players soon (I was planning on it anyway). As of now, 4 players at the club are in talks with other clubs regarding potential moves.

Attributes:
Here are Williams' attributes:

Friendlies

Unfortunately, the teams for pre-season friendlies were decided before I came here. I say its unfortunate because I wanted to test the squad against better teams than the ones the club decided.

Oh well, it's still a good time to test the tactics and spot the areas that need work, etc.

Without much ado, here's how the friendlies went:
View attachment 246308

The start was a rocky one. The players were still getting used to my tactics. So, the cohesion wasn't as good as I would've liked. There were a lot of sloppy passes and movements into channels by the wing backs and the box to box players weren't picked up and so on.

After the second game, I asked the coaches to change the training focus to team cohesion. I asked the coaches to work closely with the midfielders and wing backs to make sure that players' movements and passing are organized.

After two draws, we notched three big wins in a row. More importantly, three clean sheets as well. This team has a really solid defense, I must say. Samuel Umtiti's ability to organize the defense and shepherd the backline is quite impressive.

However, the real surprise was the forward line. I was very skeptical of the forwards before the friendlies but the scoring record in the friendlies suggest otherwise. However, I am not getting carried away. The teams we faced were not the best.

Overall, it has been a good start to my managerial career here!​

Back