The Rise of Wales - Carmarthen Town

We drew 2-2 in the home leg and then lost 4-0 in the away leg. And yeah I am. I was trying to decided between them and Port Talbot but went with Carmarthen just because of there nickname.

Same thing happened to me in the 2nd round of qualifiers. Hopefully in a few seasons time we can both make it to the group stages, but its going to be tough.

Yeah the Old Gold is a pretty cool nickname! haha.

October

View attachment 204784
View attachment 204783

October was a pretty steady month for us as we managed to hold on to 1st place. It was disappointing to lose at home to our rivals, Aberystwyth but other than that i was pretty pleased. Will Abbotts continued his good form this month and is great to see another striker getting in amongst the goals alongside Mark Jones, who we were so reliant on last season.

View attachment 204780
View attachment 204779

So TNS decided to sack there manager, after a sluggish start to the season by there standards and to my surprise, I was touted as the bookies favourite to fill the vacant role. TNS are a much bigger side than Carmarthen Town, but I have a job to finish here and am happy with the squad i have started to build.

View attachment 204778
View attachment 204769

November is a busy month featuring 6 matches across 3 different tournaments. The first match is arguably the biggest as we travel to 2nd place Bangor City. I am confident of progressing in both our cup matches and can hopefully hang on to 1st place in the League.

View attachment 204781
View attachment 204782

Alex Lawless managed to sprain his ankle in his first game back for the reserves after his damaged hip. He will now be out for a further 2 months, which is a massive blow to the team.

Right winger, Kyle Bassett is also out for a while with a pulled hamstring leaving the right wing responsibilities to 16 year old Matthew Spain, who is a product of our academy. This is his big chance to impress.

November

View attachment 204460
View attachment 204458

November was an unbeaten month for us across 3 different tournaments. We managed to hang on to 1st place and open up a 3 point gap over Bangor, with a far superior goal difference. Its a shame we couldn't hang on to beat Bangor in the league, as they scored a late equaliser. TNS are really struggling this season and is leaving the title race wide open. Hopefully we can maintain this form for the remainder of the season and am sure we will have a real shot at the title!

View attachment 204468
View attachment 204467
View attachment 204465

We have been drawn against TNS in both the JD Welsh Cup 4th Round and the final of theWord Cup. Despite TNS struggling slightly in the League, they are still the best team in the League and both matches will be a challenge. The League is the priority this season but i wouldn't complain if we were to pick up some additional silverware along the way!

View attachment 204466
View attachment 204464

Our 3-1 win over Afan Lido was selected as a fan day, and am hopeful that our good performance will boost attendance in the future. We already have a pretty decent attendance in comparison to other teams in the league, but are still only filling around 10% capacity.

View attachment 204461

So for the 3rd time this season, i came in as 2nd in manager of the month. It seems impossible to pick that illusive award up at the moment, but I am not to concerned after i look at the table.

View attachment 204463

Will Abbotts has been in scintillating form this season for us and is in contention for winning Welsh Young Player of The Year! I fear it could be a struggle to keep hold of him for next season.

View attachment 204469
View attachment 204462

The month brought a couple more injuries to our starting line up. The injury to Spain means that we were without any natural right wingers for around 3 matches. It was a bit of an inconvenience but we still got the results.

View attachment 204459

December looks a tough month and is really going to test whether or not we have the ability to win the League. TNS and Port Talbot finished 1st and 2nd last season, so will be interesting to see how we get on against them on the road.

December

View attachment 204327
View attachment 204329
View attachment 204323

Another unbeaten month, extends our lead at the top of the table to 8 points! We have been on a staggering run of form and have broken our previous unbeaten record. I have just been using a pretty standard 4-4-2, but it appears to fit the team perfectly. Although i am trying to develop a couple of alternate formations, as it wont be long until the opposition start to suss me out! The only problem is not many alternate formations i can use with this squad.

View attachment 204322

Yet again i finish 2nd in the Manager of the Month award! I am consistent if nothing else!

View attachment 204326
View attachment 204325

I approached the board full of hope to ask whether we could turn professional, after raking in that 300k from Europa at the start of the season. Despite us appearing to have sufficient funds the chairman is happy at the level we are operating and refused. As a bit of a token gesture he allowed me to employ an additional coach to help with training.

View attachment 204321

We have our final 2 matches of the Welsh Premier League before the division split and our 2 cup matches against TNS to look forward to in January. It would be nice to have some silverware already in the cabinet come the start of February, even if it is a bit of a nothing trophy.

I wonder what it will take to go pro? Hopefully you win the League and surely that would warrant a pro status!

I wonder what it will take to go pro? Hopefully you win the League and surely that would warrant a pro status!

I Know - If we win the league they must agree to turn the club pro, especially with our solid financial position!

I just had a look at the other teams in the Welsh Premier League and TNS are the only pro side!

theWord Cup Final

View attachment 203877
View attachment 203878

So we went into theWord Cup Final as very slight underdogs, but had every chance of lifting the trophy at the end of the match. I decided to field a pretty much full strength side, but decided to let our young backup goalkeeper, Fleming go in goal.

TNS had the better of the first half creating 3 good goalscoring chances, but were denied by either Fleming or a lack of composure. We could only manage one goal scoring opportunity, as Mark Jones was denied by Taylor from only 5 metres out, with Abbots striking the post with the rebound.

We started the 2nd half much brighter and a cross from RB, Jones went all the way through to the back post where an unmarked Ian Shepard cooly applied the finish. It didn't take long for TNS to reply as Cieslewicz found himself unmarked area and headed in from 6 yards out. 1-1.

The match finished 1-1, and so extra time beckoned. With both teams starting to fade, chances arose at both ends of the pitch but neither team could apply the crucial finish to win the match.

Fortunately we managed to hold our nerve in the shoot-out winning 4-2. We converted all four of our penalties as both Fleming and the crossbar denied 2 of their players.

View attachment 203868
View attachment 203867
View attachment 203866
View attachment 203864

Congrats on first bit of bling for the trophy cabinet.

First of many I hope.

Great read. Can't wait to see you tearing it up in Europe.

Congrats on first bit of bling for the trophy cabinet.

First of many I hope.

Great read. Can't wait to see you tearing it up in Europe.

Thanks mate!

Yeah it's always nice to get a bit of early silverware! Could even be on for the treble this season, the way things are going.

Unfortunately you might be waiting a while yet before we become competitive in Europe, but fingers crossed one day!

Well done great story! What tactic are you using?

Well done great story! What tactic are you using?

Cheers. Glad your enjoying it!

I am just using a pretty simple 4-4-2 formation really and kept tweaking it until it started bringing in results. I wont be able to get on FM until Sunday now i don't think, but would you like me to show you a screenshot of it when i can?

yeah id love to see it, I am enjoy using an old fashioned 442. Thanks

January

View attachment 202679
View attachment 202688

Our unbeaten run in all competitions now dates back to the 21st of October! That makes it 17 games!

We had to play TNS 3 times in January and managed win all 3 matches, as we won theWord Cup, progressed to the JD Welsh Quarter Finals and moving us 9 points clear at the top of the table! The treble is well and truly on now, I feel.

View attachment 202684

We have been drawn against League strugglers, Newtown in the JD Welsh Cup so will be hoping to progress to the Semi-Finals

View attachment 202687
View attachment 202686

So i finished 2nd in the Manager of the Month award again! As Will Abbotts, impressive 5 goals in 3 earned him theWelsh Premier League Player of the Month award.

View attachment 202685

I decided to change my season expectations to challenge for the title, which freed up an extra £80 p/w to the wage budget. Not a lot but will help with contract renewals.

View attachment 202678

As the league has now split we will only be up against top 6 teams, not that that has been a problem for us this season. With only 9 games to go in the season and a 9 point gap at the top, things are looking good!

Flying now mate! Surely the league will be wrapped up in the next few games! Congrats on theWord Cup to!

Flying now mate! Surely the league will be wrapped up in the next few games! Congrats on theWord Cup to!

I still cant get over how dominant we have been this season! Yeah the League title looks like a done deal, baring a massive disaster and the possibility of winning the treble is looking very good!

February

View attachment 201985
View attachment 201984

Unfortunately our undefeated run in all competitions came to an end after a staggering 21 matches, as we crashed out of the JD Welsh Cup. It was disappointing to lose at home to a struggling Newtown, but we failed to convert our chances. Despite this loss, we have continued to extend our lead in the Premier League and now sit 12 points clear of TNS, with just 5 games to go. We should hopefully have the League title by the end of March, but is a bit of a shame we can no longer clinch the treble.

View attachment 201978
View attachment 201976

We earned a measly 6k for reaching the Quarter-Finals, although will still be enough to pay the teams wages for just over 3 weeks!

View attachment 201973

I finally managed to win the illusive Manager of the Month Award! It doesn't really mean anything but had become a personal goal of mine after finishing 2nd nearly every month this season.

View attachment 201982
View attachment 201981

Another successful season has earned me a new contact with Carmarthen Town. As we are only Semi-professional the board can only offer me a 1 year deal, which doesn't offer me a huge amount of security.

View attachment 201983

I completed my Continental C licence, which will help me further my managerial ability and reputation. Furthering my qualifications may be pivotal for me to eventually land the job as manager of the Welsh National Team,

View attachment 201972

March is a very quiet month, with just the 2 matches. I believe a victory over TNS will secure us the Welsh Premier League and a place in the Champions League 1st round qualifiers!

Shame about missing the treble but you're still killing it :D

Shame about missing the treble but you're still killing it :D

Cheers man - It's a bit disappointing considering how dominant we have been this season. Although we have far exceeded my expectations this season, and making the Champions League Qualifying will be massive!

March

View attachment 201695
View attachment 201694
View attachment 201693

It's official we have won the Welsh Premier League! It had looked inevitable for quite a while, but with 3 games to go in the season we have been crowned champions!

We could only manage 2 draws throughout March, but who cares. We are going to in the Champions League next season....well qualifiers anyway.

View attachment 201692
View attachment 201691
View attachment 201690
View attachment 201689

So after just 2 seasons, I have managed to enter Wales Hall of Fame! If we can keep these performances up, I could find myself at the top of the Hall of Fame in a couple of seasons.

View attachment 201688

So we have 3 games left to go and nothing much to play for. So now is the chance to try out a couple of different tactics, as we start to work towards next season.