• Yay?

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Nay.

Votes: 40 81.6%

• Total voters

Anthony

Slide to unlock
Reaction score
The English FA announced today that they are discussing with clubs the idea of making it a requirement to have ethnic minority candidates on managerial shortlists.
Due to the fact that there have been growing calls for the implementation of the 'Rooney Rule', which has worked effectively in America's NFL.
Rooney Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now correct Me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the people with the best CV who are most suitable for the job be shortlisted?? What if there are no ethnic minority coaches that would be capable of filling the particular role?? It's an awful waste of time to interview them, don't you think?
Scudamore considers Rooney Rule | Sky Sports | Home | Latest

Well they apply similar rules to this for a lot of 'real' jobs, so it's not a surprise that it has spread to football. I agree that the best candidate should get the job but I'd rather have the rule then not have it. Although I don't really understand why this is an issue, how can you debate about this? :S

Personally I think its just stupid.

It doesn't matter wether your white, black, green or yellow. If your good enough for the job you will get it. Regardless of what race/religion you are.

It's PC gone madd !!
I joke, tbh I don't see the issue.

If they can do the job then why not give them a chance in an interview, it's not saying they HAVE to bring them in. You could have the worlds greatest CV but if you're a huge wreck when trying to talk to people you're not going to do so well.

Personally I think its just stupid.

It doesn't matter wether your white, black, green or yellow. If your good enough for the job you will get it. Regardless of what race/religion you are.

Do you really think if that was the case that they would need these laws...

It treats minorities like they are all victims!!!
Affirmative action is a load of **** and does more harm than good. It does nothing to actually deal with racism, just sweeps it under the carpet so middle class white people can pretend they are enlightened.

If you *have* to have a black/ minority candidate but don't *have* to have a white candidate, isnt that as unequal as anything? This is more racist than a system where clubs get to choose their own manager (how dare they!)

Do you really think if that was the case that they would need these laws...

In all honesty I think laws like these are more 'racist' than the problems they are meant to solve. Having to interview candidates just because they're black/asian/whatever is pathetic, really.

How are they supposed to feel part of the community if they don't know if they're being interviewed because they're actually good enough, or because the law says so? Not to mention the fact that it's going to be hard for people with no managerial experience to compete with the more established managers around. Being on a 'shortlist' is hardly going to give them the job, as I seriously doubt an 'interview' alone is going to give them a job when they have no CV to speak of.

Also, England is not like, say, Spain, Russia or Italy, where a black manager would be as surreal as a palm tree on an iceberg, there have been black managers in the top flight, for instance. They've not been shut out of the managerial position, but they'll probably have to start from the depths of the football league, like many others do.

Pfsch.

If they were actually interested in getting the "ethnic minorities" a job, they shouldn't have abolished slavery. Football - the only way you can still legally buy "ethnic minorities." I think they should interview an Englishman for each managerial job - the Weegies are taking their derbs!

I don't get how people can filter out race from a CV.. Surely there are already Blacks and Asians applying for jobs and getting the interview. Maybe other races just prefer not to go in to management? We all have different mind-sets.

Doesn't mean anything at all, all it requires is that a club gives a manager from an ethnic minority an interview; does this mean he gets the job? Absolutely not. Won't change anything, in my opinion, hence I think it's pretty pointless.

How many 'ethnic minority' managers are good enough to manage in the Prem etc? Two managers in the English League system that aren't white(Hughton and Ince). Although I understand the reasoning to give everyone a chance no matter what race, surely they could just have the 'token' guy, interview and then not give the job anyway?

I saw an american sports lawyer on SSN the other day talking about this. Personally the best candidates for the job should be interviewed never mind what race they are. And you would hope that the best person got the job.

You shouldn't have to interview someone just because they are a different race in my opinion. What if one minority applies for a job but their CV is poor should they still get an interview? That seems slightly wrong in my opinion. Im all for equality in all walks of life but when it comes to a job the best people should be interviewed.

Tis a load of balls imo, why should someone be given an interview because they aren't white, only the suitable candidates should be given interviews. If they are people of any colour and suitable for the job they should be interviewed!

What a complete and utter pile of **** this is. I bet the "ethnic minority" feel great about this, being once again given preferential treatment just because there aren't many black/asian or whatever managers. It's the same as the normal workplace-you employ someone who has all the right attributes for a manager, regardless of color or whatever. Have they ever thought about the fact that there's probably a load of people of different color who may not want to be a manager? I know I wouldn't want to be one-tremondous amount of daily pressure.

This just smacks of positive discrimination in football.

pointless, and a little insulting to be honest

How ridiculous. It's not like clubs refuse to sign ethnic minorities as players, so it's not like they're being racist, it just happens that not many have gone into management.

Surely the FA should have bigger problems to deal with rather than wasting time, money and effort on a law that's not going to change anything.

Good idea. But I'm going with "nay". Like you said in the OP, What if there are no ethnic minorty coaches that are suited for the job?

I doubt Man Utd, Liverpool, or any of the big clubs would hire some none league coach just because of that rule.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

BUT. Due to the rule in the NFL is because there is so much racism going on in the USA, so in some way, I do understand why they chose to do it in the NFL.

I'll be honest from my experience at coaching course's and looking at the academy system in Holland, it's not like there is a 'huge' amount of ethnic minority coaches out there. From my experience on my C license course there was maybe 1-2 Asian participants and a single black student who dropped out after the C license and took it no further (Know him from Sports Science course at College) and he decided to go into the Personal Trainer profession for whatever reason. I honestly don't think the coaching system discriminates against the ethnic demographic, you could argue the cost of the FA ran elite courses prices out alot of the 'inner city' ethnic minority demographic. Another factor is most of the British ethnic footballers in this country are solely focused on playing football (Semi Pro football is full of minority footballers who didn't quite make it professionally). For all the faults of the coaching system I really don't think it can be accused of being racially biased, in my experience it's purely a case of either not enough serious interest in coaching at the highest level or a simple lack of ambition to coach (Many would much rather play semi pro/non league football).

I don't think there can be such an outcry against chairmen to be perfectly honest because the majority of the time I would say that the 'middle class background' coach who's taken all his qualifications/courses will take priority purely based on what qualifications he holds. I remember doing a 2 month internship at a Dutch academy and there was plenty of ethnic footballers in the youth ranks but the only minority member of staff was the physio.

You can argue the same about Sports Journalism and why it's a field dominated by white males generally. I can't explain that one as fully except for the lack of access to SJ courses and possibly the cost of them.

To sum this up, the way I would 'fix' this is to incentivise young ethnic minority coaches at C level/Even from school level of GCSE/B Tech students. The FA needs to find a way of getting young students interested in coaching professionally rather than playing semi professionally.

The 'they're not good enough' argument could only be stood up if they a) Have the basic pro license requirements (I.E Never ran an extra curricular course abroad) or b) They just failed to impress chairmen in their interviews, could be down to presentation/lack of ambition/any factor but I really, really, don't think it's their race that holds them back.

I'm not blaming the minority's but nor am I blaming the chairmen who I saw Darren Lewis so quick to condemn this morning. Some form of grant (I would prefer some form of 'FA loan') offered to some potential coaches from ethnic backgrounds, preferably from SS courses, in my opinion would get alot of ethnic minority coaches involved in professional coaching because at the minute I think there is definitely an imbalance be it the cultural difference's/social class difference's/demographic or geographic difference's. But for people to claim there is this vast supply of unemployed fully qualified ethnic minority coaches out there is wrong as far as I gather from personal experience.

I'm not a fan of this 'quota' idea, I think it creates more problems than it solves.

Last edited: