The Rooney Rule (Yay or Nay)

The Rooney Rule?

• Yay?

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Nay.

Votes: 40 81.6%

• Total voters
The rule isn't going to make a bigger representation. They have the opportunity to become a manager IF THEY WISH. They don't, and forcing clubs to interview people on race rather than merit is going to change nothing about the image of football to ethnic minorities, it won't get any more into management, and it's frankly insulting that people are being offered interviews on race over individual merit.

So, these people have the opportunity, but they don't want to take it?

hmmm......

and I never said interviewing would improve the image (it would a little); I'm saying the one or two managers who get an opportunity that they may not have gotten because they aced the interview would improve the image.

See my comments on MLB and blacks. Blacks often report that they don't participate in baseball because its a "latino" thing.

Honestly, it sounds like soccer management is mostly a "white" thing and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is intimidating minorities from pursuing coaching (what do you think is the reason for the under-representation?)

So, these people have the opportunity, but they don't want to take it?

hmmm......

and I never said interviewing would improve the image (it would a little); I'm saying the one or two managers who get an opportunity that they may not have gotten because they aced the interview would improve the image.

See my comments on MLB and blacks. Blacks often report that they don't participate in baseball because its a "latino" thing.

Honestly, it sounds like soccer management is mostly a "white" thing and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is intimidating minorities from pursuing coaching (what do you think is the reason for the under-representation?)

How is forcing an interview going to change it from being viewed as a "white" thing. It's their perception of the job, not the club's. Clubs quite clearly have no issue with hiring ethnic minority players if they're good enough, why should they suddenly stop that when they get to management. The issue is clearly due to lack of quality coaches in ethnic minority groups rather than lack of opportunities for them, as outlined excellently by Jamie a few pages back.

I see you don't read my posts

and I'd hardly say "the one black guy quit pursuing his license" to be excellently outlined analysis on the cultural aspects of lack of interest in high profile jobs.

Treated differently by giving everyone the same opportunity?

lol brilliant deduction Einstein. (6)

This rule was needed in America; it certainly wasn't "ridicules"
Normally dude a walks in w/o the right credentials for job & doesn't get interviewed, with the law dude a can walk in not have the proper credentials but gets interviewed in he falls under minority ethnicity. Were is the fairness in that?

Normally dude a walks in w/o the right credentials for job & doesn't get interviewed, with the law dude a can walk in not have the proper credentials but gets interviewed in he falls under minority ethnicity. Were is the fairness in that?

link?

I see you don't read my posts

and I'd hardly say "the one black guy quit pursuing his license" to be excellently outlined analysis on the cultural aspects of lack of interest in high profile jobs.

If the FA actually care, then they should be focusing on actually getting minorities interested in coaching from a basic level, not this half assed attempt. What on Earth is this rule going to do to increase the amount of black managers, when the club isn't going to hire anymore than they do because there simply isn't the quantity and quality of coaches to choose from? Clubs shouldn't be forced to interview those who aren't good enough based on a characteristic independent of their ability in the job. I'd be insulted if I was offered a job because governing body decided I fell into X political correctness group, rather than on merit of my work. It's like forcing a business to hire those with few education qualifications to solve unemployment, rather than introducing measures to actually educate those people to be of a standard that firms will employ them.

well thats not true at all. The coach still has to qualified

Rooney Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Rooney Rule, established in 2003,[1] requires National Football League teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation opportunities. I

I was asking for the link to where you got your information that someone can "walk in" without credentials and get interviewed.

Me thinks you aren't qualified for this discussion based on your previous posts.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Thank you mate, you have just proved to everyone that Montaro is defending this rule without what it fully entails.

I don't even know what you are trying to say here.

If you actually read my posts, It's pretty obvious I know the Rule is about interviewing minorities...

But most people don't read, they just jump to the last comment and reply.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

If the FA actually care, then they should be focusing on actually getting minorities interested in coaching from a basic level, not this half assed attempt. What on Earth is this rule going to do to increase the amount of black managers, when the club isn't going to hire anymore than they do because there simply isn't the quantity and quality of coaches to choose from? Clubs shouldn't be forced to interview those who aren't good enough based on a characteristic independent of their ability in the job. I'd be insulted if I was offered a job because governing body decided I fell into X political correctness group, rather than on merit of my work. It's like forcing a business to hire those with few education qualifications to solve unemployment, rather than introducing measures to actually educate those people to be of a standard that firms will employ them.

Who knows what the FA has planned in regards to increasing the number of coaches from the bottom up. But having visible managers at top clubs who are minorities would surely motivate others to follow in their footsteps (and that starts with earning your licenses)

But I can tell you that the Rule has had success in the USA despite many people who have the same opinions as some of the people on this forum.

Here's a little food for thought. College athletics really don't have this rule. My Alma Mater's college football coach left for a new job. We had a position open. We had a perfectly qualified Offensive Coordinator who was black that was interested in the job. Many fans wanted him as the new coach. He was never interviewed. Instead we ended up hiring the incompetent lesser qualified white friend of the Athletic Director and went on to **** our pants the next 3 years. Even if the black Offensive Coordinator had got an interview, I doubt he would have gotten the job. At least he would have been given a chance, which in reality he didn't get.

I admitted I don't follow English football much and I know England is less racist than America, but to think culture or race has no impact on our society is quite naive.

Last edited:
If you arnt good enough then you won get the job no matter what you look like. Just look at past black managers, Rosenior and Ince and neither have been class. Its nothing to do with their skin colour its just at this moment in time there arnt any decent black managers around. Its just a co-incidnece thats all