The Rooney Rule (Yay or Nay)

The Rooney Rule?

• Yay?

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Nay.

Votes: 40 81.6%

• Total voters
Personally I think its just stupid.

It doesn't matter wether your white, black, green or yellow. If your good enough for the job you will get it. Regardless of what race/religion you are.

Hulks and yellow ppls (wtf!) ? oO)

add brown to the coluor list :p (south Asians :p !!!!)

1. This doesn't mean the minority has to get the job. This means that A minority must be on the SHORTLIST and get interviewed.
2. You may not like it, but there is a history of qualified minorities not even getting a chance. This gives them that chance. Doesn't mean they get the job, but at least they get the opportunity.

1. This doesn't mean the minority has to get the job. This means that A minority must be on the SHORTLIST and get interviewed.
2. You may not like it, but there is a history of qualified minorities not even getting a chance. This gives them that chance. Doesn't mean they get the job, but at least they get the opportunity.

This may be true for the US (And I said MAY, IMHO affirmative action is a pile of wank altogether), but it doesn't have to be true for other countries, and as far as I'm concerned, and from what I've seen, it's certainly not true for English football.

This may be true for the US (And I said MAY, IMHO affirmative action is a pile of wank altogether), but it doesn't have to be true for other countries, and as far as I'm concerned, and from what I've seen, it's certainly not true for English football.

How many minority managers have there been in the top 2 or 3 tiers of English football in the past 10-15 years? I honestly do not know as I don't follow the Premier a lot.

How many minority managers have there been in the top 2 or 3 tiers of English football in the past 10-15 years? I honestly do not know as I don't follow the Premier a lot.

Ince, Tigana, and currently Powell for Charlton. Keith Alexander too IIRC.

//Edit - you should read previous posts, though. The lack of black managers can easily be attributed to a lack of interest in the job, as Jamie stated.

Such a stupid idea, if your good enough you will get the job if not well tough! This is just getting stupid now

If a premier league club is are considering buying a new player then they must have a player from south-east Asia on the shortlist as there are not many south-east Asians in the league....

Ince, Tigana, and currently Powell for Charlton. Keith Alexander too IIRC.

//Edit - you should read previous posts, though. The lack of black managers can easily be attributed to a lack of interest in the job, as Jamie stated.

Reminds me of Major League Baseball. The MLB is afraid they will lose the African American market because there are not as many blacks playing as there used to be. Blacks often see baseball as the Latino and White sport and it's not as prestigious as basketball and football.

The "Rooney Rule" is just the sort of rule that may encourage more to apply for jobs, and with more minorities in the jobs it could show that it is a "minority" thing and not just a White man's thing (like MLB baseball is doing).

Still not sure why some are up in arms...heaven forbid 1 minority is even slightly considered. If he "isnt good enough for the job" I'm not sure why ya'll are complaining as he obviously won't get the job after the interview...and it's not like they would interview some *** off the street; he would obviously have enough merit to earn being interviewed.

I want 1 person to honestly give me 1 (ONE) logical reason why it would hurt your organization to interview a SINGLE minority candidate. Heaven forbid the Interviewer skip his tea.

this is a truly ridicules rule that only support the opinion that people of different ethnics should be treated differently.

this is a truly ridicules rule that only support the opinion that people of different ethnics should be treated differently.

Treated differently by giving everyone the same opportunity?

lol brilliant deduction Einstein. (6)

This rule was needed in America; it certainly wasn't "ridicules"

I think 'ethnic minority' is a racist remark.

Well, if the category didn't exist, the ppl in it wouldn't get all those sweet benefits
So they might want to let this little bit of racism slide

On topic - it's pointless - if someone's good at what they do, they'll be on every shortlist regardless of which minority they sneak in
Interviewing people just to fill some quota is a big fat waste of time

I want 1 person to honestly give me 1 (ONE) logical reason why it would hurt your organization to interview a SINGLE minority candidate. Heaven forbid the Interviewer skip his tea.

It would hurt organizations as it is racist, it is giving the "minorities" the right to demand a interview because they are black, Chinese etc. Whilst the ethnic majorities do not have the right to an get an interview for being white.

Not to mention that if a chairman was racist then he wouldnt select the minority after the interview process, making the rule and interview a waste of time.
If the minority stood a chance he would get the interview on merit.
Most people would be offended to be short-listed due to there skin colour purely due to there skin colour.

Say they put through this rule, what happens when people realise there is a lack of Asian players in the league. Will every club have to short-list a Asian when buying a player? Or will they be allowed to judge them on merit rather than there ethnicity?

i would say no to the rule..as a feel the best manager should be chosen for the club and not based of the colour of the skin or where there from.

Reminds me of Major League Baseball. The MLB is afraid they will lose the African American market because there are not as many blacks playing as there used to be. Blacks often see baseball as the Latino and White sport and it's not as prestigious as basketball and football.

The "Rooney Rule" is just the sort of rule that may encourage more to apply for jobs, and with more minorities in the jobs it could show that it is a "minority" thing and not just a White man's thing (like MLB baseball is doing).

Still not sure why some are up in arms...heaven forbid 1 minority is even slightly considered. If he "isnt good enough for the job" I'm not sure why ya'll are complaining as he obviously won't get the job after the interview...and it's not like they would interview some *** off the street; he would obviously have enough merit to earn being interviewed.

You should read the first few pages as it'd give you an idea of what everyone thinks and why.

This rule is a load of *****, is it not racism in itself against ethnic majorites? From what I read, clubs would be FORCED to interview at least one black candidate just to get everything all pc. Black managers would now be ten times more likely than any other manager of getting a job just because they already have a foot in the door for the interview. Imagine a club indentifies their 5 best candidates for the job, for whatever reason none are black, so they ditch one of their candidates just to make sure they aren't accused of racism.

The article is boasting about how the 'Rooney rule' has worked in NFL, go figure, stack the odds unfairly in favour of a minority and they're bound to get more job intake - regardless of talent or merit just because they have more rolls of the dice.

It's an insult to great managers like Chris Houghton who are there on merit. John Barnes on the other hand must be jumping for joy.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Treated differently by giving everyone the same opportunity?

lol brilliant deduction Einstein. (6)

This rule was needed in America; it certainly wasn't "ridicules"

Is that not the point though? it isn't really giving everyone the same opportunity is it? it is pc bull to give a minority a big opportunity. I didn't realise we were still in the 80s here, racism in UK football is pretty much dead (not abroad sadly).

Still not seeing how anyone is being discriminated due to race based on this rule.

Whites will still get the majority of the interviews, so to say it limits their opportunities is bullshit.

It's like the people who ***** about minority's getting scholarships. Big ******* deal, they still need good grades to qualify. Without the scholarship they likely wouldn't even go to university.

Again, 1 interview. No group of white people are going to burn down the club offices crying racism without looking like a bunch of idiotic skinheads. I also don't see how a "wasted interview" possibly hurts anyone. You know how many "wasted interviews" actual HR managers go through every day? Also there have been cases in the US where there was only one interview by an organization...They had their one guy targeted and lined up and didn't give the time of day to anyone else (Immoral as these cases were generally "I like Coach X, he's my friend I'm hiring him")

This rule hurts nothing (except maybe the sensitive feelings of those in power apparently) and gives football a chance to further it's image to minority markets (customers often associate with a company that has a similar racial background). The best argument I've seen against it was that it "took interviews away from whites"....if race doesn't exist to you, then why is that an issue?

Still not seeing how anyone is being discriminated due to race based on this rule.

Whites will still get the majority of the interviews, so to say it limits their opportunities is bullshit.

It's like the people who ***** about minority's getting scholarships. Big ******* deal, they still need good grades to qualify. Without the scholarship they likely wouldn't even go to university.

Again, 1 interview. No group of white people are going to burn down the club offices crying racism without looking like a bunch of idiotic skinheads. I also don't see how a "wasted interview" possibly hurts anyone. You know how many "wasted interviews" actual HR managers go through every day? Also there have been cases in the US where there was only one interview by an organization...They had their one guy targeted and lined up and didn't give the time of day to anyone else (Immoral as these cases were generally "I like Coach X, he's my friend I'm hiring him")

This rule hurts nothing (except maybe the sensitive feelings of those in power apparently) and gives football a chance to further it's image to minority markets (customers often associate with a company that has a similar racial background). The best argument I've seen against it was that it "took interviews away from whites"....if race doesn't exist to you, then why is that an issue?

The biggest thing for me, is that it misses the bigger issue. There aren't actually that many minority coaches to choose from anyway. They want more managers, then they need to get more coaches first. They do this by financially supporting those who want to be coaches and above but cant afford it, or by encouraging semi-professional players to become professional coaches

Maybe more would want to become coaches if they saw that there was a good representation of managers who are minorities?

I brought this up when I mentioned customers associating with a company which is one of the few real justifications for workplace diversity.

Maybe more would want to become coaches if they saw that there was a good representation of managers who are minorities?

I brought this up when I mentioned customers associating with a company which is one of the few real justifications for workplace diversity.

The rule isn't going to make a bigger representation. They have the opportunity to become a manager IF THEY WISH. They don't, and forcing clubs to interview people on race rather than merit is going to change nothing about the image of football to ethnic minorities, it won't get any more into management, and it's frankly insulting that people are being offered interviews on race over individual merit.