The Rooney Rule (Yay or Nay)

The Rooney Rule?

• Yay?

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Nay.

Votes: 40 81.6%

• Total voters
Very much agreed Jamie, the "fix" has been applied to the wrong place entirely

In all honesty I think laws like these are more 'racist' than the problems they are meant to solve. Having to interview candidates just because they're black/asian/whatever is pathetic, really.

How are they supposed to feel part of the community if they don't know if they're being interviewed because they're actually good enough, or because the law says so? Not to mention the fact that it's going to be hard for people with no managerial experience to compete with the more established managers around. Being on a 'shortlist' is hardly going to give them the job, as I seriously doubt an 'interview' alone is going to give them a job when they have no CV to speak of.

Also, England is not like, say, Spain, Russia or Italy, where a black manager would be as surreal as a palm tree on an iceberg, there have been black managers in the top flight, for instance. They've not been shut out of the managerial position, but they'll probably have to start from the depths of the football league, like many others do.

What? I was commenting on the law as a whole, wasn't being specific to football or England.

All I'm saying is, if there wasn't a reason to have this law then they wouldn't use it, stop being so naive and assuming the best man wins all the time.

Nay.

Just because they have to give them an interview means nothing. If the club was being racist, they could give an interview and just not consider them anyway. It won't make any difference. And besides, can you name any other black coaches apart from Paul Ince and Chris Hughton (who are both currently employed).. Only two I can think of is Chris Powell and Ruud Gullit.

If someone was to go and sack their manager when this rule came in and they HAD to interview someone else, it would be someone with little/no managerial experience and they wouldn't be considered due to the amount of white managers with a load of experience in the game which is essential.

A club like Manchester United aren't going to appoint a manager with barely any experience when SAF retires, so why must they be forced to appoint someone who has no chance of getting the job when you'll get World Class managers vying for the position with them. It's silly. They get viewed for jobs just like everyone else. There aren't that many managers, so there aren't many in jobs.

Also, if they were made to interview a black/asian/chinese manager and that person went on to get the job - everyone would say "Only got the job because he HAD to be interviewed" - which isn't fair. Either way, it's a no win IMO.

Stupid rule.

Nay.

Just because they have to give them an interview means nothing. If the club was being racist, they could give an interview and just not consider them anyway. It won't make any difference. And besides, can you name any other black coaches apart from Paul Ince and Chris Hughton (who are both currently employed).. Only two I can think of is Chris Powell and Ruud Gullit.

If someone was to go and sack their manager when this rule came in and they HAD to interview someone else, it would be someone with little/no managerial experience and they wouldn't be considered due to the amount of white managers with a load of experience in the game which is essential.

A club like Manchester United aren't going to appoint a manager with barely any experience when SAF retires, so why must they be forced to appoint someone who has no chance of getting the job when you'll get World Class managers vying for the position with them. It's silly. They get viewed for jobs just like everyone else. There aren't that many managers, so there aren't many in jobs.

Also, if they were made to interview a black/asian/chinese manager and that person went on to get the job - everyone would say "Only got the job because he HAD to be interviewed" - which isn't fair. Either way, it's a no win IMO.

Stupid rule.

Frank Rijkaard.

What? I was commenting on the law as a whole, wasn't being specific to football or England.

All I'm saying is, if there wasn't a reason to have this law then they wouldn't use it, stop being so naive and assuming the best man wins all the time.

You think this law actually helps and I'm the one being naive.

Sigh.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Frank Rijkaard.

Jean Tigana and Antoine Kombouaré could be added to the mix, Tigana having managed Fulham, and Kombouaré being currently employed.

Frank Rijkaard.

Jean Tigana and Antoine Kombouaré could be added to the mix, Tigana having managed Fulham, and Kombouaré being currently employed.

So with your additions, that's 7 managers. 5 of them are currently employed (that I know of). All in/had pretty good jobs too. Stupid rule.

So with your additions, that's 7 managers. 5 of them are currently employed (that I know of). All in/had pretty good jobs too. Stupid rule.

It makes no sense whatsoever. Seriously, don't they have better things to do? =/

That's a very informed post Jamie. Thanks for that.

It probably ill happen if they are discussing it as I cant see anyone going against it in fear of being branded racist.

It is a stupid and racist rule.

People are picked for jobs for there qualifications and achievements, if anything, making clubs interview shortlist ethnic minorities gives ethnic minorities an unfair advantage. They're judged as people, not by race. The reason I think for the lack of ethnic minorities in the game is because it is not popular within there culture except for black people but then there are plenty of black people in the game but not really at management level. I think in 10/20 years time, we will see a lot more people from ethnic minority backgrounds in management positions in the English game anyway. My reasons for this is that English football is more culturally diverse now in terms of players than it was 10/20++ years ago and more of these players will go into coaching and management. I agree with others though on that this is not the right solution, encouraging ethnic minorities to becomes coaches is the right way but then I think they should encourage more people in general to do there coaching badges regardless of there race or creed.

People are picked for jobs for there qualifications and achievements, if anything, making clubs interview shortlist ethnic minorities gives ethnic minorities an unfair advantage. They're judged as people, not by race. The reason I think for the lack of ethnic minorities in the game is because it is not popular within there culture except for black people but then there are plenty of black people in the game but not really at management level. I think in 10/20 years time, we will see a lot more people from ethnic minority backgrounds in management positions in the English game anyway. My reasons for this is that English football is more culturally diverse now in terms of players than it was 10/20++ years ago and more of these players will go into coaching and management. I agree with others though on that this is not the right solution, encouraging ethnic minorities to becomes coaches is the right way but then I think they should encourage more people in general to do there coaching badges regardless of there race or creed.

Jamie's touched on the area they should be addressing in the first place. if you want more ethnic managers, you start by getting more ethnic coaches. All they are doing is taking the easy route

If you're good enough, it doesn't matter if you're Black or White.

Would kind of be acknowledging a difference between people with different skin colours which is ridiculous.

I'd be pretty ******* insulted i was getting an interview because of my colour

I'd be pretty ******* insulted i was getting an interview because of my colour

To be fair, you're hardly going to get an interview based on your tactical knowledge, you're like a young, black, sexy Gareth Southgate.

To be fair, you're hardly going to get an interview based on your tactical knowledge, you're like a young, black, sexy Gareth Southgate.

Pfft im better tactically than GS!

So is my imaginary pet turtle..

Harsh :'(

But in all seriousness if they want more ethnic managers, get more ethnic coaches. Do that by helping those who want t be there but can't afford, convince the semi pro players to professional coaches. Dont set up a patronising rule

It does seem stupid, I mean, at the end of the day, look at other sports, and ethnic coaches. Cricket has a fair few, but guess what, it's one of the biggest sports in Asia, they are actually pretty good at the game as well.

One of the problems is there are relatively few Asian/Indian players playing in the top flight, or even in the lower leagues, now I appreciate that the best players don't make the best managers (most of the time), but you would expect/hope your candidate would have some sort of professional experience in the game, even at a coaching level, but there are relatively few ethnic coaches coming through at the moment, from what I understand. Do what Mike said, get the semi pro players to become coaches, give some kind of financial help to people that want to become coaches.

With the cut-throat style of football club owners at the moment, it would be basically sending lambs to the slaughter if you based employment on skin colour rather than skill/experience.

Our manager (Chris Powell) is black and was asked about this before and he didn't agree with it. I think it's ******* ridiculous.

I remember someone (I'll try to find out who it was) who said it is harder for black managers to get hired, not because the employer consciously makes a decision not to hire them, but because most employers judge managers based on whether they immediately strike a connection with them and believe that they can have a good working relationship with them. He believed that subconsciously the employer feels more of a connection with a white manager. I don't personally agree but it's an interesting point. Like I said I will try to remember/ find out who said it.