The Sandancers, First their was Phil Brown then Joe McElderry and now Danny Simpson!!

September 2009
The honeymoon period is well and truly over, in this month that became transparent. Also in this month my team showed that they are definitley up for the cup.

SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 WHITLEY BAY - DICKENS

PENRITH 1 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

(FA CUP) SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 SKELMERSDALE -
PHELAN

DUNSTON 2 - 1 SOUTH SHIELDS
- FEASY

(FA VASE)
SOUTH SHIELDS 2 - 0 WELLINGTON-
WILLIAMS, DICKENS

BILLINGHAM SYN 1 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

(FA CUP) SOUTH SHIELDS 2 - 0 GODALMING -
DAVIES, TAYLOR

CONSETT 1 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

As you can see we have lost 4 games in a row in the league all being away from home, this of course is no excuse and it needs to be addressed as we can't afford to drop this many points. On a postive note we are fgoing well in the FA Cup as we have beaten teams in higher leagues than ourselves in the last two rounds.

Player of The Month
Andy Darby -
Although the striker has not scored recently he has been putting in first rate effort every game no more so than in the game against Godalming where he set-up both goals for the team.

League Table
View attachment 14354

Last edited:
Danny where did you manage to get this update from because I desperately want to do Christchurch. But them in the BSS is too hard so I'd like them in the proper league? Thanks

P.S. Good luck, I'll definitely be following.

October 2009
An indifferent month for the Sandancers. Once again we showed that we love the cup competitions and maybe not the league so much.

(FA VASE) SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 MELKSHAM - PHELAN

SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 SHILDON- NUGENT

(FA CUP) CARTERTON 0 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

NORTON & STOCKTON ANCEINTS 1 - 1 SOUTH SHIELDS- DICKENS

(FA CUP) SOUTH SHIELDS 2 - 0 CARTERTON - DICKENS (2)

BEDLINGTON 1 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

(DURHAM COUNTY CUP) SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 SHILDON (AET)- DICKENS

SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 1 BISHOP AUCKLAND - WILLIAMS

SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 1 ESH WINNING- O.G PLUMMER

The results in this month highlighted the ability of the team as we became the first team to beat the previosuly unbeaten Shildon in the league after 4 straight defeats at the very start of the month, and then again in the County Cup. The results also highlighted the misgivings in the team, most notably the two draws at home, especially aginst Esh Winning

As you can also see the FA Cup run goes, after a great performance home and away against higher league opposition. We are one game away from making the first round proper. Farnbrough Town stand in our way and the bookies have placed us at 50-1 to qualify. The winner will have a home time against BSP side Forest Green. Fingers Crossed :)

Player of The Month
Curtis Dickens -
As you probably realsied he came up with some crucial goals in game most notbaly is double against Caterton. Great work from the midfielder to chip in with goals in a league where very few goals seem to be scored.

League Table
View attachment 14366

Looks good Danny, are there any players you would recommend?

As an exiled Sand-dancer myself, and a Sunderland supporter to boot I shall be watching this with interest.

Well done on the game so far, but ... there's always a but isn't there ... I'd like to draw some parralleles with my last Mariners game, back in the heady days of FM07 if I recall. In season 1 I got a decent squad of free transfers together and finished just above the relegation places thanks to a ten game unbeaten run at the end of the season. Two successive promotions saw me in the league's basement and I got sacked after a dismal season resulting in the team getting relegated. Funnilly enough after geting a job with Hereford, Hartlepool I wound back with Sunderland where I had a decent run.

Anyhow I'd like to ask you about how you set the game up. Back then I think I looked at the budgets of all the clubs in the division and gave us an equal ammount as the poorest team. Obviously I had to 'make' Filtrona Park etc.

What did you do with starting budgets, reputation etc? Did you have to populate the other teams or did you just leave them as randomised teams? If you put in the players from other clubs then kudos to you for that - a LOT of work I'd imagine. This is one of the projects I was going to do later ... maybe after the New year ... but maybe I could get round to doing it sooner - we'll see.

I don't normally post up one match result but this game was insane I didn't know whether to be happy or disappointed.

View attachment 14406

Also I did beat them in the replay but in my haste to go out this morning I forgot to save and lost the save gutted :(

Last edited:
November 2009
A month that was dominated by cup games, which postponed league games. This meant we slipped in to the relagtion places but with 5 games in hand on the teams a round us I am not to worried about the league postion.

This month including reaching the FA Cup first round proper, I did end up winning the replay against Farbrough which was a relief after that amazing 3-3 draw that you can see earlier on in the thread. It was an amazing achievement, and although we lost to Forest Green, that included former Premiership players Stefan Moore and Jeff Whitley, it was still a huge achievment by the team. On with the results.

(FA CUP) FARNBOROUGH 3 - 3 SOUTH SHIELDS - WELLS, DARBY (2)

(DURHAM COUNTY CUP) SOUTH SHIELDS 3 - 0 DARLINGTON RA
- TAYLOR, PHELAN, EASTWOOD

(FA CUP REPLAY)
SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 FARNBOROUGH
- DICKENS

(FA VASE) LEISTON 0 - 2 SOUTH SHIELDS
- DICKENS, O.G WARDLEY

(FA CUP 1st Round) SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 2 FOREST GREEN - EASTWOOD

SOUTH SHIELDS 2 - 0 ASHINGTON
- WILLIAMS, DAVIES

(NORTHERN LEAGUE CUP) TOW LAW 0 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS (Won on Penalties)

RYTON 0 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

It was hard to gauge the teams performance this month as most of the games were in the cup and as you can see we played teams in higher divisions and beat them, which was of course fantastic. But then we struggled against the teams in our own league like Tow Law and Ryton. It will be interesting to see if the team can transform their cup form into their league form as we could push for the top half of the table if not the playoffs.

This month also bore witness to South Shields first signing of the season. I managed to persuade Tom Hickman to join the club from Faversham, and the midfielder will be a great assest to the club. He has already stated in the local Gazette that he is looking forward to going to the fair at the seaside as he never went as a child.

View attachment 14446

Player of The Month
Andy Eastwood -
The bid defender has been brilliant this month, the only player that has played all 90 minutes, and sometimes 120 minutes of every game. He also chipped in with 2 goals from the back, his 2nd goal of the season putting us ahead against BSP side Forest Green. Hopefully he can continue his form in the coming months.

League Table
View attachment 14445

I am having the same troubles Danny with Forth. It won't be an easy game for either of us.

Im having the same troubles with Christchurch as well

I am having the same troubles Danny with Forth. It won't be an easy game for either of us.

Yeah is hard like but I am motivated to do well with Shields so I will stick it out. I have realised a goal scorer would be golddust at this level will need to find one next season no doubt

good luck. hope you beat the drop. What level are you?

Yeah is hard like but I am motivated to do well with Shields so I will stick it out. I have realised a goal scorer would be golddust at this level will need to find one next season no doubt

Sameee :( But it is so hard finding a striker for £0 at this level

Sameee :( But it is so hard finding a striker for £0 at this level

Same!!! I think we may need to be patient with it. Accept we may be at this level for a fe years and try find a few bargains.

Same!!! I think we may need to be patient with it. Accept we may be at this level for a fe years and try find a few bargains.

Yep I think so ha! As long as I can avoid relegation for a couple of seasons I shall be delighted, but I am 5 points from safety after 12 league games already!! Bad bad times

[FONT=&quot]December 2009
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Back to the league for most of this month as we needed to catch up with the rest of the league, games wise. What I will say about this month is that my strikers finally started playing at the end of the month after a baron spell of no goals for the team and they were the ones who started scoring which was a bonus. Here are the results...

BILLINGHAM TOWN 1 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

(FA VASE) ST MARGARETSBURY 0 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

(NORTHERN LEAGUE CUP) SOUTH SHIELDS 3 - 1 NORTON & STOCKTON ANCIENTS - TAYLOR (2), WILLIAMS

WEST AUCKLAND 0 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

(FA VASE REPLAY)
SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 ST MARGARETBURYS - DAVIES

SOUTH SHIELDS 2 -
2 DUNSTON – PHELAN, HICKMAN

TOW LAW 0 - 2 SOUTH SHIELDS- PHELAN, WILLIAMS

SOUTH SHIELDS 1 -
1 CHESTER-LE-STREET - PHELAN

SOUTH SHIELDS 1 -
0 SPENNYMOOR TOWN- DARBY

As you can I see near the end of the month we started to pick up our form which was encouraging and it allowed us to climb away from the relegation zone towards the playoffs. Some notable games were the games against Dunston, where we threw away 2 goal lead against ten men in the last 15 minutes which was infruiating, and the game versus Tow Law where the strikers gelled together and contributed to the win.

Player of The Month
Dan Phelan -
Not only has the striker been scoring goals towards the end of the month, he has been contributing to the team hands down. He tormented the defence in the last game of the month against Spennymoor. Hopefully we have turned a corner with the strikers, especially Dan and we cna kick on up the league.

League Table

[/FONT]
View attachment 14461

Last edited:
Well played mate, doing better than me ;)

January 2010
This month saw us drop out of the County cup as well as the Northern League Cup, which was disappointing as I felt we could have won one if not both competitions. We did however make it through in the FA Vase and got drawn against Carteron, who we knocked out in the FA Cup earlier this season. Here are the results

WHITLEY BAY 0 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

WEST ALLOTMENT 2 - 0 SOUTH SHIELDS

SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 PENRITH - PHELAN

NEWCASTLE BENFIELD 0 - 2 SOUTH SHIELDS- O.G. FISHER, DARBY

(FA VASE) SOUTH SHIELDS 1 - 0 STEYNING - DAVIES

SOUTH SHIELDS 2 - 0 BILLINGHAM SYN - O.G. KEEN, WILLIAMS

(DURHAM COUNTY CUP) SOUTH SHIELDS 0 - 1 DARLINGTON RESERVES

(NORTHERN LEAGUE CUP) SOUTH SHIELDS 0 - 0 BILLINGHAM SYN (LOST 4-2 ON PENALTIES)

SHILDON 0 - 1 SOUTH SHIELDS - FEASY

As you can see we were once again inconsistent, woeful at the start of the month, but picking it up towards the end in the league anyway. I was not too disappointed getting beat by Darlo considering the team they had out, was a mixture of youth and players who had played for the first team this season. The game after the Darlo game was the real shock for me. It was without a doubt the strangest game I have ever managed and here is why....

View attachment 14593

4 red cards and we were dwn to 8 men!!!! Thought we could nick it on pens,b ut it was not to be. We ended the month on a happy note thankfully with what has become a customary scoreline against Shildon, a 1-0 win.

Player of The Month
Martin Speight-
The full back had a hand in all our goals scored bar the own goals before his injury in the Northern League Cup game. He was solid at the back and great going forward. Hopefully his injury will not keep him out too long

League Table

View attachment 14594

As you can see we still have 3 games in hand and maybe we can push for 2nd spot as Whitley Bay seem out of reach for now.