arthur montford interview

you sit here as the new assistant manager of the sfa, are you pleased to bepart of the sfa after your directing role with greenock morton?
definetly i always enjoy scotland games as they unite a nation and my time at morton isnt over i have taken an advisory role on a part time basis and aim to carry on a t scotland and morton

despite some world class players scotland seem to lying lower than they should be in the rankings table what should be done to take scotland to where they deserve?
well we have an excellent new manager installed and we aim to qualify for the euro 2012 finals. we have been using the world cup qualifying group like friendlies as the best we can do is play offs and this gives fans an idea of whats to come in the future

you will be working as an assistant under david hart, what is your relationship like with him?
well i feel that we are on the same level and when david offered me the job i was over the moon and jumped at the chance and at my age offers like this probably wont happen again.

images

arthur at the sfa head quarters earlier today before the press conference which saw him fight a strmash of journalists to get to the press conference

Last edited:
When's the next update and what positions are available?

images

youth is key stats montford

in an interview for a sunday newspaper, Arthur Montford stated that manager david rogers should focus on youth aspects and look to secure the future of the nation. montford also said that he was bitterly disapointed with mortons opening 0-0 draw at home to stirling albion , he also announced that if david rogers didnt meet expections of a nation in the world cup qualifying group then he WILL still be in a job for the euro 2012 qualifiers. Montford said " david is one of the best managers in scotland right now and he has came in over half way through the current campaign so it is unfair to judge the boy on this alone. if we wait to see what happens in the euro qualifiers this will give us and the fans a better perspective on what we as a nation can expect plus i have already said during the press conference that we should use these games left in the world cup qualifiers as more of a testing session instead of gambling only big names. I have watched a few lesser players i.e conway, swanson and nick montgomery on several occasions and believe that these players could be given a call up to see what they can do atleast.
TO READ MORE OF THE ARTHUR MONTFORD INTERVIEW THEN READ TOMMOROWS SPORTS PAGES

Saturday 3rd October '09
The Japan friendly was a week away and I spent the afternoon packing my bags. These last few days I've been really excited about the Euro qualifiers and I just want to get stuck into it, but before that gets underway the groups need to be drawn and the summer spent in agony as I would have to watch the World Cup at home. I have been paying closer attention to the Scottish youth players and its hard to pick just a few, the future of Scotland looks very bright & exciting. Im very much looking forward to training with the lads on Monday.

The media have surprisingly been very kind to me recently and that can only be good for me and team morale.

:wub:​

sponsor-logo-thesun.gif

Rogers speaks
out!
Scotland boss David Rogers took some time out of his busy schedule to have a word with us about how things are going at the moment.
sfa-logo.jpg

"David, thank you for coming to talk to us today as we know you are a very busy man.

Firstly, How do you feel things are going with the Scotland team at the moment after coming under some criticism for a poor start?"

"I think things are going pretty well, we haven't managed a win since i've been here however i'm sure we can gain a win in our next friendly against Japan."

"Right. Now that you will not qualify for the world cup, how do you think your team will fare in the Euro 2012 qualifiers?"

"We have great talented players youth and experienced, and with a combination of both im sure we can do very well in the Euro qualifiers."

"For the upcoming friendly against Japan, you have thrown youngsters such as John Fleck into the squad. Will you be looking to put these players in the starting 11 for the foreseeable future?"

"I have thought about starting with youth against Japan, and if they can prove they deserve a place in the starting 11 then I don't see why they won't start in future games."

"Finally what do you think about the new assistant head of the SFA, Arthur Montford?"

"Well I havent had much of a chance to get to know Mr Montford yet, but based on first impressions I think he is a fantastic guy and good for the job and together we can all take Scotland forward to glory."

"Thank you Mr Rogers."

"A pleasure."

Glory, one of the last words he used. Something Scotland fans havent had much of recently and will be hoping and praying for.
05319678400.jpg

Young John Fleck has recieved a call up.​

Last edited:
Good stuff guys,just read through all 3 pages and its real good,will be following

images

Montford In talks with Morton consortium!
Arthur Montford has today revieled that he is in advanced talks with a consortium who are intrested in buying over Greenock Morton. It is believed that Montford would not be a major money contributor to the consortium but he will use the club as a scottish youth team!
these astonishing blue prints should come as welcome news to david hart and david rogers as montford would build a world class youth and training facility with youth academy plus world class coaches inorder to furthur boost the scottish under 19 and 21 teams respecivly. Montford said " i am considering the offer from the scottish consortium and i would use morton to aid young scottish talent in their quest for the big time. i dont want to go into to much detail but i would stay as assistant at the sfa as currently I am having an excellent time at the sfa and look forward to the JApan game which i know we are using mostly youth players." Douglas Rae current morton chairman was unavailible for comment

Friday 9th October '09
We arrived in Tokyo last night and had a few hours to explore the city and wow what a city! The match was tomorrow and before we headed back to our hotel we had a tour of the stadium we were going to play in tomorrow, which was called National Stadium. It was a neat stadium with a capacity of 50339.

After the tour we went back to the hotel, I spent the rest of the evening thinking about my starting line-up, I've decided to go back to the simple 4-4-2 and test out the youngsters. Im very confident this will be my first win as manager.

Saturday 10th October (Match Day)
I woke the lads up at 7am and we all went for a jog before breakfast. They all seemed physically up for the game later today, hopefully they are mentally aswell. After breakfast we headed on our team coach and travelled 20 miles to the training pitch, which was over the road from the National Stadium. We trained from 10am to 12:30pm and I had decided on my starting 11. We hopped back on to the coach and headed over the road to the stadium, we were greeted by the stadiums receptionists and they we went on through to the dressing rooms. Kick-Off was at 3pm so we had plently of time.

As kick-off was getting closer, the players went out for their warm ups and I was filling with excitement.....

when do you reckon game update will be.
I wanna do a scoop on what I think will be ur first win.

Cool.
What do you think of 1st interview.
I can interview you about takeover if deal goes through.

Japan V SCOTLAND

GK: C Gordon
DR: A Hutton
DL: L Wallace
DC: S McManus
DC: A Webster
MR: S Arfield
ML: K Commons
MC: J Fleck
MC: B Bannan
FC: K Boyd
FC: R McCormack

S1: N Alexander
S2: C Berra
S3: D Weir
S4: S Whittaker
S5: D Fox
S6: R Wallace
S7: D Fletcher
S8: J McFadden
S9: K Miller

First Half
Japan started the game brightly, having the better chances however Fleck went close on a number of occassions from long range and Arfield with a header from a corner late on in the half, the youngsters were certainly impressing. The first half was pretty much 50/50 and we went in at half time 0-0.

Second Half
Japan started the second half very well and Scotland have been 2nd best.

49th min - The Japanese midfield comes forward and with a good looking through ball to Koido who placed it in the bottom left corner of the goal, Gordon was well beaten, OFFSIDE! Good call from the linesman

52nd min - Scotland change to 4-3-3, Arfield OFF Miller ON, Webster OFF Weir ON, Commons OFF Fletcher ON

68th min - Fleck picks up the ball on half way and takes a shot, hits the bar!

70th min - L Wallace OFF Fox ON, Boyd OFF McFadden ON, McManus OFF Berra ON

80th min - Things pick up for Scotland, they are passing the ball well and getting forward.

Full Time 0-0

I was disappointed with our first half efforts but im extremely happy with Flecks performace, he was outstanding. I had this one down as a win for us today but Japan were the better side so I cant complain about the final result.

sponsor-logo-thesun.gif

Rogers men draw a blank against Japan.
Scotland draw against Japan as Fleck makes debut.

Scotland could only muster a 0-0 draw yesterday in their friendly against Japan as John Fleck sparkled on his debut.
Ross McCormack kept his place in the side after criticism despite recent good performances and started up front with Kris Boyd who got 2 goals versus Holland. John Fleck and Barry Bannan made their debuts in the centre of midfield.

Both teams started the game brightly with Fleck going close on a number of occasions. Neither team stood out and the teams went in 0-0 at half time.

Scotland were 2nd best at the start of the 2nd half with Japan having large periods of possesion.
With 20 minutes left Scotland had made all their substitutes and switched to a 4-3-3 formation. However neither team had made a breakthrough with John Fleck coming closest hitting the bar from 30 yards out.
At the end of 90 minutes neither team could be separated with the score finishing 0-0.
Scotlands man of the match was John Fleck who had a stunning performance.

More news to come tommorow.
05319678400.jpg

Ferguson pleased with performance

Clark Ferguson, Scottish assisstant manager, has declared himself pleased with the performance against Japan.
"The performance was quite good and I'm especially delighted with the performance of John Fleck. He did absolutely great and I'm happy he got his chance. David (manager) set out the right tactics and squad and he's unlucky not to have a win under his belt. It'll come soon enough and we'll just have to be patient."
Ferguson has defended his boss and gave him the vote of confidence after a reporter critisised Mr Rogers.
Ferguson went on to ask fans to get behind the team in time for the Euro qualifiers.