The Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Another question I've always wondered Spurs fans:

These 'quick chats' Harry has all the time, what do you think of them?

Are you happy he talks about transfers or does he get your hopes up too much for transfers?

The way I look at Gary Cahill who Harry failed to get, he got 10m for Crouch and 6 for Palacios...That's 16m pounds which I am 99% sure would get Gary Cahill if he bid for him.

Another question I've always wondered Spurs fans:

These 'quick chats' Harry has all the time, what do you think of them?

Are you happy he talks about transfers or does he get your hopes up too much for transfers?

The way I look at Gary Cahill who Harry failed to get, he got 10m for Crouch and 6 for Palacios...That's 16m pounds which I am 99% sure would get Gary Cahill if he bid for him.

Plus the Hutton money, but you see Cahill isn't a midfielder so therefore isn't worth more than 10m :mad:

Totally agree with both these points, add that Crouch might rise to 12mil and Palacios to 8mil, add in Hutton + Keane, that’s just shy of 30mil! Rumors we're preparing another bid for Cahill come January, however, everyone will be queuing up for him then, he can auction himself off with huge wage and signing on fee.

I would love to know if it was Harry bottling spending that money, or if Levy pulled the purse strings shut? Either way, we've missed a perfect opportunity to pair Daws with what could be future England CB partnership!

Levy and Redknapp relationship is looking strained to say the least!

Totally agree with both these points, add that Crouch might rise to 12mil and Palacios to 8mil, add in Hutton + Keane, that’s just shy of 30mil! Rumors we're preparing another bid for Cahill come January, however, everyone will be queuing up for him then, he can auction himself off with huge wage and signing on fee.

I would love to know if it was Harry bottling spending that money, or if Levy pulled the purse strings shut? Either way, we've missed a perfect opportunity to pair Daws with what could be future England CB partnership!

Levy and Redknapp relationship is looking strained to say the least!

At that point a bosman could be offered directly to Cahill though

Indeed. In January, Cahill will have plenty of suitors offering him a pre-contract.

Personally, I'm not that bothered we didn't manage to sign him. I have been focused purely on striker acquisition this year, and apart from a loan and a 16 year old youth player, we still haven't solved that problem of ours.

notpremierleagueproven

Good article about what I was saying with Levy not trusting Redknapp.

"There is a joke sometimes said by Spurs fans that Redknapp ‘doesn’t scout outside Match Of The Day’. A hyperbole yes, but sometimes it just crosses your mind.
Let’s take a look at his signings.
Premier League Proven: Carlo Cudicini, Pascal Chimbonda, Wilson Palacios, Jermain Defoe, Robbbie Keane, Peter Crouch, Sebastian Bassong, Niko Kranjcar, Younes Kaboul, William Gallas, Steven Pienaar, Scott Parker, Brad Friedel and Emmanuel Adebayor.
Not Premier League Proven: Bongani Khumalo, Rafael Van der Vaart and Sandro."

Found this part very interesting, as we know that it was Ian Broomfield (Our Chief Scout) who spotted Sandro and told Redknapp, who had never actually seen him play, and it is widely regarded that VdV was Levy's 'gift' to Redknapp. Khumalo was also signed on a basis of a months trial from our affiliate club club, Supersport.

We need a DoF, badly.

notpremierleagueproven

Good article about what I was saying with Levy not trusting Redknapp.

"There is a joke sometimes said by Spurs fans that Redknapp ‘doesn’t scout outside Match Of The Day’. A hyperbole yes, but sometimes it just crosses your mind.
Let’s take a look at his signings.
Premier League Proven: Carlo Cudicini, Pascal Chimbonda, Wilson Palacios, Jermain Defoe, Robbbie Keane, Peter Crouch, Sebastian Bassong, Niko Kranjcar, Younes Kaboul, William Gallas, Steven Pienaar, Scott Parker, Brad Friedel and Emmanuel Adebayor.
Not Premier League Proven: Bongani Khumalo, Rafael Van der Vaart and Sandro."

Found this part very interesting, as we know that it was Ian Broomfield (Our Chief Scout) who spotted Sandro and told Redknapp, who had never actually seen him play, and it is widely regarded that VdV was Levy's 'gift' to Redknapp. Khumalo was also signed on a basis of a months trial from our affiliate club club, Supersport.

We need a DoF, badly.

Always thought of him as a joke, especially media wise and tactically, never realised just how big a joke he is. And to think people think he is fit for the england side, ******* scandalous.

Levy: get on the phone to Carlo!

Always thought of him as a joke, especially media wise and tactically, never realised just how big a joke he is. And to think people think he is fit for the england side, ******* scandalous.

Levy: get on the phone to Carlo!

Would love to see him trying to cover his own backside in an England PC. " We just can't compete with the wages the other countries are paying, qualifying for the World Cup is as good as it's gonna get for England."

Would love to see him trying to cover his own backside in an England PC. " We just can't compete with the wages the other countries are paying, qualifying for the World Cup is as good as it's gonna get for England."

If England wants him, they can have him, and we can command some compensation off the FA! I wouldn't like to see England managed by a tactically limited manager, but I'd rather see Spurs flying, after my trips to Milan and Madrid last season, I want more of that!

Besides, disillusioned with England, wish they had the same passion and determination as our test cricket side!

Agree that we are short up front, only 3 strikers (if you can count Pav!!!!!) and then the kids, if JD and Adebayor are injured, either separately or even worse, at the same time, then we're screwed!

Is there any African Cup of Nations this winter? If so would we be losing Adebayor, or did he retire from international football after the terrorist attack?

Ade retired after the attack yes, so thats not a problem, except for when Benny and Bassong go we will be very short in defence, so we may push for Cahill even more. I'd imagine that Rose will slot in for Benny though.

Togo were knocked out of the AFCON during the qualifying stages. Adebayor won't be going anywhere.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Standard squad really, pretty much as expected. Quite surprised Giovani was included in the end, but if this means he'll get a few more chances (as Lennon has been poor recently) then I am all for it.

Rafael van der Vaart ruled out for six weeks with hamstring tear

Rafael van der Vaart ruled out for six weeks with hamstring tear | Football | guardian.co.uk

• Tottenham lose Dutchman after setback against Man City
• Not expected to return until the middle of October

Rafael-van-der-Vaart-goes-007.jpg
Rafael van der Vaart goes off injured against Manchester City. Photograph: Tony O'Brien/Action Images

Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart has been ruled out for six weeks after suffering a hamstring tear, his club have said.
The Holland international suffered the injury in his left leg in last weekend's 5-1 home defeat by Manchester City.
He has since been diagnosed with a hamstring tear after an MRI scan and is not expected to return until the middle of October. That means Van der Vaart will at least be unavailable for Premier League games against Wolves, Liverpool, Wigan and the north London derby against Arsenal at White Hart Lane.
He will also miss the start of Spurs' Europa League campaign, including meetings with PAOK Salonika and Shamrock Rovers.

I actually expected a longer duration than that. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up around the 2 month mark.

Still, it'll allow a return to 4-4-2. Maybe then I'll see how effective we are whilst playing that way, as it has been a while since we consistently utilised it on the pitch.

Rafa on the injury:

"It feels okay now," said Van der Vaart in De Telegraaf. "I hope in one to two weeks to make my comeback.

"The past has proven that I can quickly recover from such an injury."

I don't want him rushed back, either way. Would prefer him to get fit. We all saw what happened to Bale at the end of last season.

Still, it'll allow a return to 4-4-2. Maybe then I'll see how effective we are whilst playing that way, as it has been a while since we consistently utilised it on the pitch.

You don't reckon Harry will give Kranjcar a run out behind the striker instead of switching back to a 4-4-2, do you? I thought that was the logical thing to do.

You don't reckon Harry will give Kranjcar a run out behind the striker instead of switching back to a 4-4-2, do you? I thought that was the logical thing to do.

It's hard to predict what Harry's tactical plans are. Usually it's the opposite of logical.

It's hard to predict what Harry's tactical plans are. Usually it's the opposite of logical.

he'll go 4-6-0 because he's Harry 'Fackin' Redknapp!