The UK Politics Thread

Just think. Boris and Trump having access to nuclear weapons. I feel so comfortable when I go to bed with that thought.........
well them 2 plus putin its the 80s all over again

well them 2 plus putin its the 80s all over again

Ah the "good old days". When kids were made to watch Threads and they had the most fked up nightmares ever. God bless the 80s

It's a weird situation for sure, since technically speaking the vote isn't even legally biding. With Cameron out, the bruhahaha within the Torries first needs to settle, for UK to be able to even trigger the procedure. Then it takes at least two years of negotiations, during which UK becomes a second-class EU member, still having to pay their dues but not being able to participate in decision making. And depending on the negotiations, the final deal may need to be confirmed by majority votes in all of the remaining member countries.

The whole procedure is messy, but UK agreed to it when they signed the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the procedure going for several years.

Yeah can't see it happening either but no doubt there'll be some form of backlash.

Saying that I didn't see us leaving the EU either lol. Went to bed convinced it would be very close but we'd vote to stay in. So the way this day has gone I wouldn't rule anything out. But if there was a 2nd vote there would be absolute **** on

That's why it's come as such a shock. I don't think anybody (even leave campaigners/voters) expected us to leave.

Ah the "good old days". When kids were made to watch Threads and they had the most fked up nightmares ever. God bless the 80s
**** that sapphire and steel was off the chain insane

You are not wrong mate and that is what was so dissapointing, chance to have full on EU debate amd it descended into farce. I blame the remain as much as the leave for this mess. Becuase it was left on the average man in the street to try and diffuse the mess.

Thats generally what happens in most places these days with our 'soundbite' culture and rising populist sentiments. Complex issues like the EU get over-simplified into one or two issues such as immigration with both sides relying more on rhetoric to sway votes instead of hard and concrete policy discussion. The media itself does not help matters either. I mean who the **** will read a 1000 word OPED on whether EU is good for the fisheries industry. The more controversial and simplistic they make something sound, the more subscribers they will get.

Lesson to be learnt is that people vote based on wildly different factors. Some like yourself will look at the bigger picture and vote accordingly while others like zzeezy will vote narrowly based solely on whether EU has been good for his life or not. Either way is perfectly fine. That is something we should have accepted when we called this referendum.

That's why it's come as such a shock. I don't think anybody (even leave campaigners/voters) expected us to leave.

Another huge disaster for the polling industry after the Trump fiasco. Makes you realize how disconnected from reality many of these armchair intellectuals are.

Also to all those who voted Remain (such as myself), I urge you guys to accept the decision and work together to ensure the consequences from leaving the EU will be minimalized and Britain can prosper outside the EU. Thats exactly what we would have told the Leave campaigners if Remain had won just in a different way of course.

Also to all those who voted Remain (such as myself), I urge you guys to accept the decision and work together to ensure the consequences from leaving the EU will be minimalized and Britain can prosper outside the EU. Thats exactly what we would have told the Leave campaigners if Remain had won just in a different way of course.

Unfortunately with vote this close, drama is unavoidable. After all, this is UK's single biggest political shift in our lifetime. Add the fact that Scotland and NI don't seem pleased about the results, and it's guaranteed there's gonna be years of major internal friction.

I'm sort of amused at people on the internet celebrating the upcoming desctruction of the EU, because at the end it's the UK as we know it that might tear itself apart.

I honestly couldn't take another second referendum and all the build up around it again, the decision has been made, lets accept it and move on or else it's totally pointless ever having it in the first place.

All the ******** arguable debating at best beforehand and afterwards is just annoying as ****, (not referring to anyone here) but literally going on virtually any website you get it, especially facebook, that's **** on earth. Suddenly every person seems like they are a politician.

I see this petition has got over a million signatures last I looked, not sure its the answer myself personally. Cameron has already resigned so would he take that back? Then we would have another extended period of uncertainty which would not be good for our financialector too. The interesting thing will be the debate in the commons and how they approach it.

I see this petition has got over a million signatures last I looked, not sure its the answer myself personally. Cameron has already resigned so would he take that back? Then we would have another extended period of uncertainty which would not be good for our financialector too. The interesting thing will be the debate in the commons and how they approach it.

I am sorry but any such petition would be completely unfair. A free and fair referendum was conducted. The results are in. If you wanted specific criterias set like a turn out above 75% then you should have implented it before the referendum. Now its just a tactic because the result did not go your way undermining the democratic process as a whole.

Same thing with the Republicans trying to get rid of Trump. Like it or not, he won the nomination fair and square. Its all good for these armchair intellectuals to sermonize everyone on the importance of democracy when things are going well but just as soon as the **** hits the fan, they try to subvert those very same democratic processses.

I am sorry but any such petition would be completely unfair. A free and fair referendum was conducted. The results are in. If you wanted specific criterias set like a turn out above 75% then you should have implented it before the referendum. Now its just a tactic because the result did not go your way undermining the democratic process as a whole.

Same thing with the Republicans trying to get rid of Trump. Like it or not, he won the nomination fair and square. Its all good for these armchair intellectuals to sermonize everyone on the importance of democracy when things are going well but just as soon as the **** hits the fan, they try to subvert those very same democratic processses.

yeah its not going to achieve anything, the decision is made and like I put on Facebook last night (it may surprise no one on base that I am equally if not more so direct and controversial on facebook) its time to deal with the outcome and rather than people hating on each other it is time they redirected their energy toward holding politicians accountable, and we should be asking them whats next etc. Cameron resigning and the leadership not being decided till October has bought the government time in this regard.

Last edited:

Over 2 million last night, probably closer to 3 now I'd assume. Don't think it'll happen though.

Repeating would be wrong, a vote is a vote. Although there's the major issue with Scotland and NI, who did vote to stay and have large enough degree of autonomy for that to be taken seriously.

Stolen from the net, not my words, just something doing the rounds. I was only having a conversation this morning with a friend where we both noted just how quiet Boris has been for someone that was SO vocal before his 'win.' Interesting theory .....

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

Last edited:
Repeating would be wrong, a vote is a vote. Although there's the major issue with Scotland and NI, who did vote to stay and have large enough degree of autonomy for that to be taken seriously.

At this point, one of the Brexiters like Boris or Gove just need to grow a pair and stand up and say 'You know what guys, this idea was dumb to begin with. If we leave, not only will we have to face tremendous pain as we tear and rewrite numerous legislation but also we will be destroying the UK as we know it with Scotland probably voting for independence'.

Boris realizes this which is why he was looking so glum at his 'victory' rally. Will there be anger and protests if the government decides not to leave? Most certainly yes. Will it completely undermine democracy? Yes. But is the right decision to take. Maybe this vote was needed to make the elites get off their **** and address the grievances of the populace and fix whats wrong with the European project as a whole.

Stolen from the net, not my words, just something doing the rounds. I was only having a conversation this morning with a friend where we both noted just how quiet Boris has been for someone that was SO vocal before his 'win.' Interesting theory .....

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

Saw this myself. It actually makes a load of sense. If Boris does invoke Article 50, his legacy will likely be that of a man who broke up the UK, destroyed the dream of a united Europe, plunged the country into a recession and deep economic uncertainty and played an active role in creating one of the most divided and fractured societies Britain has ever seen.

No wonder he was saying there was no rush to invoke Article 50. He is trying to buy time to figure all this out which hopefully Brussels does not afford him by forcing him to make a decision now.