The worst signings in premiership history

heskey to liverpool for 11 milion quid? best sale we ever made :D

as far as flops generally, shevchenko, phillipe albert, massimo taibi, sean dundee, djemba djemba, akinbiyi, collymore, kleberson, poborsky, luque, theres loads more!

I wouldn't say phillipe albert is a bad signing...
He played in 4 years time 106 games for Newcastle.
If he was that bad, he didn't have played that number of matches.

chris sutton 10million to chelsea

bojinov man city unlucky tbh

robinho - prob thought he was goin to united when agent mentioned manchester

any signing from benitez excluding torres and maybe benayoun

what about reina wilson shelvey kuyt alonso skrtel kyriagkos agger insua johnsen aurelio

(think they were all benitez)

Mutu wasn't bad, played well untill the drug thing came out.
I'd say, all Man City transfers, except for Tevez.
And Shevchenko.

How can all of Man City's transfers be bad when their team, which consists almost entirely of signed players, lies second in the Premiership?

raimond van der gouw, jordi cruyff

and the best one - WILLIAM PRUNIER! what a gem :)

Last edited:
This thread could just be on Chelsea signings.
  • Adrian Mutu - Not really our fault and we are getting the money back for him which is a plus i suppose.
  • Andriy Shevchenko - Was a flop for what we paid but i will never forget the goal he scored against Spurs.
  • Chris Sutton - 10million for a striker that scored 3 goals, although one of them was in a 5-0 romp against Man Utd.
  • Winston Bogarde - Just a money grabbing ****
  • Scott Parker - Proberly shouldnt have joined Chelsea at that time so somthing tells me he did it for money at the time.
  • Seb Veron - Proberly a little bit harsh because he suffered alot of injurys but for the money we paid definatly didn't pay off
  • Claudio Pizzaro - Scored 2 goals in a whole season both coming in different games against Birmingham.
Now some that wearn't Chelsea signings.
  • Eric Djemba-Djemba - Just absolutely woeful
  • Kleberson - See above
  • Quintin Fortune - Again see above
  • Liam Miller - How he even made an appearence in a Utd shirt is beyond me
  • Alberto Aquilani - Why Benitez thought any good would come of this is beyond me
  • Robbie Keane - Spurs done some excellent bit of business when they sold to Liverpool and bought him back for less.
  • Albert Riera - 8million for that is just poor
  • Ryan Babel - Has shown glimpses of talent but just no
  • William Gallas - Chelsea got the best end of this deal by a county mile

the legend that was Bosko Balaban! 7 mil im sure villa paid for him!

Alex Nyarko, Lens to Everton, £4.5m, July 2000
Complained that the English league was too physical. Walter Smith, appeared to side with the Everton fan who ran onto the pitch at Highbury to confront the Ghanaian over a supposed lack of effort. money well spent eh :mad:

Now some that wearn't Chelsea signings.
  • Alberto Aquilani - Why Benitez thought any good would come of this is beyond me
  • Robbie Keane - Spurs done some excellent bit of business when they sold to Liverpool and bought him back for less.
  • Albert Riera - 8million for that is just poor
  • Ryan Babel - Has shown glimpses of talent but just no

• I feel harsh judging the Aquilani talent as failed, but sadly it looks as thought that's what it is. Which is a shame because he was pretty darn good once he got going last season. He's been pretty awesome for Juventus this season, would he of been that good for us? Who knows, but it would certainly of been nice to judge him after a full season.

Yeah fantastic business from Spurs. Instead of selling some dead weight for £19m they decide they don't like all of that profit and instead decide to give us £16m of it back just so he can warm their bench instead of ours. :wub:

Agree on Riera, but to class him (and Babel) as one of the worst signings in Premiership history is ridiculous.

Not exactly the worst signing but in my opinon Berbatov.I'll agree hes been ok this season but not worth 30m and probably the laziest player I have ever seen and what is worse we still bought him even tho he couldnt score when John O'Shea(altho IMO better than kuszczak) was in goals.

Now as a united supporter im definately not gona stand here and defend berbatov to the hills, coz i think he has alot to answer for in some of his displays in a united shirt, and agree, he hasnt quite showed he is £30M worth, (considering when we bought him we were also eyeing up a certain guy that is apparently hot property now called Edin Dzeko, but fergie was worried bout his lack of pace, and prob could of had him for less than £15m but hey ho)
At spurs berbatov was there best striker for years, since klinsmann left and maybe better than him, his goalscoring record was prolific at spurs, so fergie loses van nistelrooy, a strong player that is deadly around the box, didnt strayy very far from the box mind, and replaces him with another strong guy that was deadly in front of goal, with perhaps 1 of the best touches in world football that didnt stray far from the box, an old fashioned goal hanger basically, already with PL background too, seemed a good buy considering you had rooney that would cover every blade of grass on the pitch 3 times if you would let him, and ronaldo that could turn defence into attack in the blink of an eye, berbatov was the ideal poacher replacement for van nistelrooy, yet when he got to united he changed. He suddenly wanted to drop deep to collect the ball start attacks, be part of the build up play, at spurs he was there to finish, and mainly all he did.
His goal this season against blackburn where he started the move on the edge of the area, played a couple 1-2's with evra then sprayed a 50 yard pass with the outside of his boot to feet, then spr.... ok id love to say sprinted the 60 yards to the box but i cant, jogged the ground to get in the box to complete the move is gona be up there for goal of the season without a doubt, add to that a hat-trick against liverpool which included a delightful overhead kick, berbatov is by far not a flop, just a different type of player now than the reason we bought him from spurs, if we had an out n out goalscorer playing up front with him, somebody like benzema, milito the flicks and space berbatov can create would be amazing.

does anyone remember Marcelino, we brought him for 5m and played about 3games, one of Ruud Gullits 'foreign gems' also Frank Dimas, Albert Luque, Andreas Andersson, Laurent Robert, Titus Bramble, Jean-Allan Boumsong

Now as a united supporter im definately not gona stand here and defend berbatov to the hills, coz i think he has alot to answer for in some of his displays in a united shirt, and agree, he hasnt quite showed he is £30M worth, (considering when we bought him we were also eyeing up a certain guy that is apparently hot property now called Edin Dzeko, but fergie was worried bout his lack of pace, and prob could of had him for less than £15m but hey ho)
At spurs berbatov was there best striker for years, since klinsmann left and maybe better than him, his goalscoring record was prolific at spurs, so fergie loses van nistelrooy, a strong player that is deadly around the box, didnt strayy very far from the box mind, and replaces him with another strong guy that was deadly in front of goal, with perhaps 1 of the best touches in world football that didnt stray far from the box, an old fashioned goal hanger basically, already with PL background too, seemed a good buy considering you had rooney that would cover every blade of grass on the pitch 3 times if you would let him, and ronaldo that could turn defence into attack in the blink of an eye, berbatov was the ideal poacher replacement for van nistelrooy, yet when he got to united he changed. He suddenly wanted to drop deep to collect the ball start attacks, be part of the build up play, at spurs he was there to finish, and mainly all he did.
His goal this season against blackburn where he started the move on the edge of the area, played a couple 1-2's with evra then sprayed a 50 yard pass with the outside of his boot to feet, then spr.... ok id love to say sprinted the 60 yards to the box but i cant, jogged the ground to get in the box to complete the move is gona be up there for goal of the season without a doubt, add to that a hat-trick against liverpool which included a delightful overhead kick, berbatov is by far not a flop, just a different type of player now than the reason we bought him from spurs, if we had an out n out goalscorer playing up front with him, somebody like benzema, milito the flicks and space berbatov can create would be amazing.

I agree completley but if it had been up to me I would have tried to keep Tevez and would have sold Berbatov.
I agrre that in both Liverpool and Blackburn matches he was good but im not sure and feel free to correct me but he didnt score in any of the matches(premier league anyway) in between.
As i said not a flop and def not the worst but we could have done alot better and yeah he was good at spurs but thats what they said about shevchenko and AC.

[*]Quintin Fortune - Again see above

[/LIST]

To class Fortune as a flop is harsh and silly, He played a squad role for 7 years at utd, Winning many trophies and performing okay

does anyone remember Marcelino, we brought him for 5m and played about 3games, one of Ruud Gullits 'foreign gems' also Frank Dimas, Albert Luque, Andreas Andersson, Laurent Robert, Titus Bramble, Jean-Allan Boumsong

I wouldn't say Laurent Robert was a bad signing, he played for a good 5 seasons and scored a decent amount of goals for a winger. But I'd agree with you on the rest.

Shevchenko
lucas leiva dont rate him at all
robinho
djemba djemba
chucho benitez