**TheBetterHalfs Tactic Sets**Including the SPLIT 451** A total of 67 Tactics !!

TheBetterHalf

Patient Moderator
Reaction score
TACTIC SETS BY TBH
Sets of 6 versions

THE VERSIONS
In this post, I have uploaded different formations, all containing 6 different tactics/versions. Look at them as frameworks and as inspiration for your team. Now, the screens beneath are from the Wide 451 and they might be slightly different in other formations ( to come) but the general approach will be the same

Really Attacking
View attachment 449024

We push up and hassle. We exploit the flanks and look for killer balls. Feel free to add one more attacking role in midfield. Naturally, this approach is vulnerable to teams playing composed & compact so its not one you would launch at start against teams to have respect for. When facing teams that actually sit deep and defend well, then an attacking approach like this might be too attacking. Why not then use a more probing approach, like Control.

Control
View attachment 449023

We play more probing with the aim to control the game and use more runs from deep rather than more advanced positions. We both try to retrieve possession as well as hold it, meaning that we both retain posesion as well as hasle the opponent. We try to stretch the opponent to create space by using the width of the pitch

Slow Standard
View attachment 449022
We try to keep the ball when in possession and control the game. The players play with less risk and then also less reward. When using this versions, be prepared to constantly and closely follow the flow of the game to react to what we see on the pitch. If the opponent sits compact and defend, perhaps we need to play more agressive using Control or Wide & Stretch. If the opponent are all over us we are unable to cope with the pressure, unable to actually play a short passing game in a slow tempo, then look at the pitch to see what fails. Perhaps its time for Quick Counter ?

Wide & Stretching Counter
View attachment 449021

Here, we find the most probing and controlling of the counter versions. We look to use more width and deny the opponent space. We simply look to create space to exploit rather than exploit what is already there. In short, its an approach much closer to Control rather than Quick Counter

Quick Counter
View attachment 449020

Launching quicker counter attacks to exploit the space the opponent leaves behind. If the space is not there, the efforts might be in vain and result in a loss in possession without actually getting any chance outr selfes. When playing on poor pitches or when its raining etc, this approach is perhaps one that whilst not suiting your team and the way that the opponent play, still might be the correct choice as the circumstances dictates that you need to play ugly

Cautious Counter
View attachment 449019

Here, we sit back more, trying to keep possession when we have the ball. Do remember that its a fine line between being cautoius and too passive.

Picking the Set/Formation
When it comes to the formation and the uploaded tactics, you will find that some formations are more attacking and aggressive by default. This means that playing Cautious Counter in a more advanced formation will have less players behind the ball than in a ?deeper? formation, just like Really Attacking might be more of an overloading approach in the advanced formations and more of an Controling or cautious approach in the deeper formations.

In the end, it?s up to you to choose the formation that gets the best out of your team and is more likely to be able to get results. Think about it, if playing as Chelsea and having many central mids, you might be tempted to use a Narrow Diamond formation. Whilst this might suit your squad, you need to consider if this is a formation that suit the circumstances, that you will be likely to face teams flooding the midfield playing compact and defensive. It might be that this part of the field is congested so a formation using more width might be better. The same goes for a team like Crystal P. A too advanced formation might not be the best of choice. Better than to have a consolidation season, playing a more compact and deep formation and build for the future

You will also find( in the future) some uploaded sets that don?t contain 6 version, but maybe just one, two or three and I will refer to these as ? EXTRA SETS? These are the ones that by default can?t be used in both a Really attacking and a Cautious Counter version. Like a Deep and Narrow 4132. This formation is great when wanting to play really compact on the counter but not when wanting to be in control and playing attacking. The same goes for the 424, a formation that simply can?t be used in the more probing versions, like Slow Standard, Cautious Counter etc. Here, you can either use these as plug & play tactics or implement them into the other sets, like having the 424 as an extra version to the 4411, or the Deep & Narrow Quick Counter as an extra version to a more advanced but narrow formation

The roles/Players
Have a look at the different roles and duties, along with the player and team instructions before editing any of them and the importance here is the balance rather then the specific role. When using a more probing approach though, its important that the movement comes from deep rather than from the advanced players, just as its equally important to have players trsetching the defence from advanced positions when playing a more direct style ( like attack and Quick Counter, i.e more players on attack in advanceds positions)

The Set Pieces
I have not touched this so please re-arrange them so they suit your squad. In fact, it might be crucial to do so since the formations have been made with the last one as a framwork, meaning that the DMC in the 451 might be the 2nd striker in the 442s

Results

wowpanstlol - SPLIT 451
Currently using the Split 451(slow standard / wide stretching )on Brighton
, Hardly concede goals and average 60% possession most games.
View attachment 441365View attachment 441370View attachment 441368
using quite a young team to cut down in salary costs sold most old players

-----------------------------------------------
:BABIS - Using the SPLIT 451
View attachment 433957View attachment 433960View attachment 433962
All matches played with control 4-5-1 split.Very nice work tbh!
------------------------------------------------
CoryJacko - Deep 4231
View attachment 434068
------------------------------------------------

FORMATIONS UPLOADED ( more will come)

451 - Deep 4231 - Wide striker narrow - SPLIT 451 - 4411
View attachment 449017View attachment 449016View attachment 449014View attachment 448523View attachment 448190

View attachment 444780View attachment 444763View attachment 444728View attachment 443934View attachment 443933View attachment 443932

THE EXTRA VERSIONS UPLOADED
These are the ones that by default cant be used in both a Really attacking and a Cautious Counter version. Like a Deep and Narrow 4132. If a formation is too advanced or too deep, it simpy wnt function using all 6 versions so here, I am uploading either single tactics or small sets that uses this formation, tactics that you can implement into your approach

View attachment 444725

Last edited:
What versions should I use?

In the end, its all up to you as a manager, what kind of football you want to play and what end of players you have at your disposal. Here are some hints about what versions you could load up in the 3 slots

Notice that these are just examples of the chosen 3 versions. It might be that you as a manager want to play possession football BUT still want to go for the 3 points in all matches, using Control as your main version and then Really Attacking and Quick Counter in the other slots

Possession based style of football
-Control,
-Slow Standard
-Wide & Stretching Counter

Balanced approach
-Control
-Quick counter
-Cautious Counter

The Counter approach
-Quick counter
-Cautious Counter

High Risk & High Reward approach
-Really attacking
-Control
-Quick Counter

Could I use just the one version?
Indeed you can :D.

Possession based style of football, smart players
-Control

Possession based style of football, quick and technical players

Swift Attacks playing compact
-Quick counter

Can I pick versions across the formations ?

Yes, you can. This is probably the most realistic way to do it.
The more attacking/aggressive the version, the more attacking formation. The more cautious the formation, the more cautious the version. Just remember that you might need to re-construct the tactics as the Striker might end up as a DMC if switching between the 442 and the 451: D Here are some examples

Using AMR/L and one FC
Really attacking – Wide 4231
Control – Deep 4231
Quick Counter – 451

Last edited:
Great, great, great! :)

I've some questions (as usual): How do you select between each approach? I'm using the 4-5-1 with Liverpool, using mainly the control one (a lot of possession but few goals. I won, that's what matters haha), still in pre-season. I'm pretending to use opposition reports and from there choose three of the approaches to the upcoming match. I remember you say that you planning each cycle and see which tactic do you use accordingly to what you think it's best.

Oh and regarding general training. My team lacks immensely in defending, fitness and team cohesion. I'm pretending to rotate this 3 and use defending positioning almost all of the games.

Great, great, great! :)

I've some questions (as usual): How do you select between each approach? I'm using the 4-5-1 with Liverpool, using mainly the control one (a lot of possession but few goals. I won, that's what matters haha), still in pre-season. I'm pretending to use opposition reports and from there choose three of the approaches to the upcoming match. I remember you say that you planning each cycle and see which tactic do you use accordingly to what you think it's best.

Oh and regarding general training. My team lacks immensely in defending, fitness and team cohesion. I'm pretending to rotate this 3 and use defending positioning almost all of the games.

I have updatd the 2nd post with some info regarding versionpicking. Firstly, I start out by deciding on the formation that gets the best out of my team. Next, I look at wjhat kind of generall approach that will suit my team the best ( Like playing a more probing style, a quicker counter attack style etc). Next, I look at what other 2 versions that are more likely to be used. this means that these 3 versions will be the ones I always have uploaded in the 3 slots, BUT I still use the others during the gema if seing fit

As for training, Its something that is to be looked at longterm and wont have any effect at all of the outcome of the game unless the stats of the players improve/decline drasticlly or yuour players are unfit/exhausted

The Old SPLIT 451 IS BACK !

This time in a set of 6 versions. ( added to the opening post)

7e2i.png

Now, if wanting to use this as a single plug & play, then here is a rough guide.

Title Challenger
- Control or Wide & Stetching Counter

Other Top teams
- Wide & Stetching Counter or Slow Standard

Teams aiming for a middle place, Euro Cup
- Quick Counter

Teams aiming for staying up
- Quick Couner Or Cautious Counter

Latest matchwith the SPLIT 451

As Milan play a Narrow 4312, I really wanted to go for the win by exploiting their flanks. Here, I picked my normal away version for my team, The Wide & Stretch Counter ( the one most similair to the old SPLIT 451 from FM13)

1a5j.png

bgmb.png

okay thats cool.. what role would suit Luis Suarez best :) btw he has just scored his 4th againts Norwich :)

It would depend in what formation and what overall strategie. Playing him as a poacher or an advanced FC in a control version using overlaps will probably see him underachive( here, I would use him as a DLF on support with more runs from deep and dribbling) but in a counter strategy using the flanks, he will perform.

It would depend in what formation and what overall strategie. Playing him as a poacher or an advanced FC in a control version using overlaps will probably see him underachive( here, I would use him as a DLF on support with more runs from deep and dribbling) but in a counter strategy using the flanks, he will perform.

Okay thanks for the advice :) have a nice evening :)

Okay thanks for the advice :) have a nice evening :)

if you want, you can have a look at these 2 tactics as some inspiration of a 3511

If you should like that formation, I can make the other 4 versions to

Last edited: