Thiago Motta Capped for Italy

HibernianBoy

Reaction score
Thiago Motta was capped by Italy last week despite being capped twice for the Senior Brazil side. Fifa had ruled that same week that Motta would be allowed to change nations.

This intrigued me, surely the rule is after being capped by your senior national team, you can't switch nations. Can anyone shed some light on why Motta was allowed to switch nationalities.

If that is the case, Arteta should play for England, better than the options around TBH

Gerrard > Arteta > England midfielders

If the Italians can do this then call him up Fabio!!

He's classed as dual heritage and they've changed it so that only competitive games now matter.

Seeing most national games are friendlies it seems a little daft.

Although we should do the best thing for England results... i really would rather not see our football team go down the same path as the cricket team IMO.

Although we should do the best thing for England results... i really would rather not see our football team go down the same path as the cricket team IMO.

What, actually winning things?

Because we are English most of us frown upon this but i am all for it. Imagine if Portugal cared about non Portugese players playing for them?? We are too snobby, patriotic and pig headed to let someone who wasent born in our country to play for us. Some say he wouldnt want to win or wouldnt care, Arteta is a professional. He dosent support Everton but does that mean he hasent or dont try for them?

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Bang on the money!!

I dont mind Arteta donning the Three Lions Shirt one day, he is only going to make us better, can hardly make us much worse IMO

As far as I'm concerned only English players should play for England.

England should take note off Scotland

We have been helped by the english quad of Steven Fletcher, Kris Commons Phil Bardsley James Morrison etc

It helps so do it :D

So you would prefer to take the quick fix, to make our team slightly better, than actually sorting out youth development in this country with more national team focus, and improving grass routes level development, which in turn would improve the national side in the long term..?

arteta is not better than the options that we have available - he's aging and his performances have dwindled from previous seasons..

Calum said:
England should take note off Scotland

We have been helped by the english quad of Steven Fletcher, Kris Commanns Phil Bardsley etc

It helps so do it

Steven Fletcher refuses to play for scotland :L

So you would prefer to take the quick fix, to make our team slightly better, than actually sorting out youth development in this country with more national team focus, and improving grass routes level development, which in turn would improve the national side in the long term..?

And rejecting Arteta would improve grass roots football how...?

As far as I'm concerned only English players should play for England.

It's all fine people saying "Only English players!!" I assume you mean anybody born in England? What about somebody born abroad but with English parents [i.e Hargreaves], or somebody born in England with foreign parents? If somebody considers themselves to be English and/ or is dedicated enough to actually want to play for our country why shouldn't we let them? Especially if they are better than the players we currently have..

I'm sure Motta gave the same commitment to the Italians as he would have the Brazilian national team, but because he wasn't born Italian means he shouldn't play?

Develop the youth players on the International scene like Wilshere & Henderson etc, rather turning to an ageing Spanish reject

**** Arteta we got Wilshere, plus i dont think he would make us any better at all so really no point callin him up

It's all fine people saying "Only English players!!" I assume you mean anybody born in England? What about somebody born abroad but with English parents [i.e Hargreaves], if somebody considers themselves to be English and/ or is dedicated enough to actually want to play for our country why shouldn't we let them?

I'm sure Motta gave the same commitment to the Italians as he would have the Brazilian national team, but because he wasn't born Italian means he shouldn't play?

not sure that's his point - probably more to do with the fact that it doesnt seem right: players are picking sides based on which team is a) more successful or b) easier to get into. it's going to negate the whole point of national sides if they're full of players from different countries :S

Id rather win than lose.. and if that meant calling up arteta ETC then why not..

all of you can say were not doing it the right way ETC but were not winning and you lot would suddenly change your mind and support if we were to win stuff

On reflection this doesn't change things too much, Motta could have played for Italy but chose Brazil. He's just now been given the opportunity to switch.

This Arteta discussion is irrelevant. If by current rules a player's allowed to play for England, let 'im.