This game is sooooo scripted!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rav3nac09

Reaction score
I am currently unbeaten in all competitions with man utd,7 games in,now im in champions league game 2 against Marseille and i lost 4-1 so i thought fudge that and loaded and tried different tactics and bang i lost again heavily so i turned it off,today i started it and lost heavily again...3 different tactics,3 similar scores,same goalscorers,same amount of goals in each half,same bookings for my team,whats the point of us banging in hours of time and effort when the game has already decided whats gonna happen...players have yellow names in the 10th minute and i wonder why then all of a sudden he receives his 1st yellow on the 12th minute,its already decided before the foul has taken place,pointless playing this game if its like this all the time...

coincidence, thats all

the players that keep scoring are probably on form and are always likely to perform well in that game. as for changing you tactics, you probably just unlucky the first time and since then you been changing tactics, different tactics to what ur team is used to (i'm guessing it was the same tactic for the seven unbeaten run) also if you saved it immediately before the game and keep changing tactics when reloading to that point then the tactics will be different to you match preperation...

Last edited:
Maybe the tactics you chose were all wrong ?

Or you could just of been unlucky ?

That's lame that you are complaining about one heavy defeat it happens to us all sometimes but we don't ***** about the game being scripted we just get on with it.

typical...someone didnt read the 1st post...im not ******** im wondering if the game is scripted...typical internet ****

teaching you not to cheat by reloading. Take your defeat like a man. you have an away goal so 3-0 at home should be fairly easy....
as for being scripted i believe it is partially with goals/ cards at similiar times but no game will be completly the same...

Last edited:
teaching you not to cheat by reloading. Take your defeat like a man. you have an away goal so 3-0 at home should be fairly easy....
as for being scripted i believe it is partially with goals/ cards at similiar times but no game will be completly the same...
he's only 8 games in, that loss will be in the group stage

Unfortunately I must agree, sometimes game do that, such as always in my pre-match advices it keeps telling that opposition teams play well against my tactic, 90 percent...

typical...someone didnt read the 1st post...im not ******** im wondering if the game is scripted...typical internet ****

No I decided to comment without reading your post!
**** of course I read it.
Stop cheating by reloading.

No I decided to comment without reading your post!
**** of course I read it.
Stop cheating by reloading.
how about stop telling him how he should play his own game - it doesn't effect you does it. If you don't like what this thread is about then don't post

So you lost one game. Deal with it. :S

Also, reloading is for noobs.

Get over it. One loss doesn't mean the board will sack you.

OK, guys.

Most people posting in reply are just ignoring the thread. Its not about complaining at being defeated (although its evident he is not happy about it) and its not about cheating.

Wether he is cheating or not, or if he should take the defeats like a man (sic) are irrelevant to the thread.

The thread is about the game being sccripted. And so it is.

Ive been playing FM forever, from the very first Championship Manager, back then you know. So, Im a fan of the series. Ive been there and done that. But there is something no one can deny: the game IS scripted and has always been. Hey, we all veterans know it.

If at a given time the script decides that youre gonna have a terrible time with a game, youre going to. Period.

Its not a question of being the worse team... its not rare to have one of those games happen when you are first in the league and you receive at home a team in the bottom half.

Its also not a question of tactics. If it were for that, a simple tactic change would succeed. Not the case. We all know that if you repeat that game youre gonna have a lotta trouble even if you turn the tactic upside-down. Even if you seem to be wrestling a victory or drawing the game the 10th time you repeat it with a new tactic... ¡boom! a well placed penalty kick at the last minute is going to do the trick for the opposition. The script IS the script after all.

Also is not a question of form. More than once you are in great form and the opposition is not.

No. Its the script. Its there and we all know it is.

We love the game, it has given us years of joy and fun, so we accept it has its faults. And this is a fault. Im sure in years and versions to come, someone along the way will decide to put an end to the script. From my humble point of view that will make the game much better. Until then, we will take it as it comes.

But scripting is there. Has always been for years. You just have to learn to live with it and accept it... or not and choose another game. Easy as that. For me its an acceptable flaw.

Last edited:
If we want to talk about scripting, then fine.

The game is merely based on mathematical algorithims. I'm sure that if you really wanted to hack away at the match engine, you could the find the exact workings of what will happen at a given moment.

The game runs on a mathematical script, with inputs that you, the user, can change. For example, say if you played Macheda over Rooney, the game's script would read Macheda's stats and use them instead of Rooney's. Of course, this is obvious and you expect that, but it's just an example.

However, when it comes to tactics, formations, outcomes, motviations, performances etc. while it seems random, there is always a mathematical formula which will be translated by the match engine into what you see on the screen. The input is again, determined by you the user. There is no such thing in FM as an unwinnable match if you're being reasonable (Of course, if you're then thinking that your local pub team can win the Champions League and beat Real Madrid 5-0 away, you're welcome to try but I doubt it). It's all a matter of how you input your instructions and which instructions you input.

Of course, since you have saved your game just before the game started, it could be possible that an event BEFORE the game could also be affecting the performance, eg. press conference, players being unhappy, player condtions etc. Therefore there is no way to tell from the information you have given us.

Therefore, yes, the game is scripted. All games which do not have 'full' user input (Such as FM) are. You merely change the script. Games like FIFA, which have 'full' user input, eg. you control the players on the pitch, are not as scripted. The scripts then merely define what you can do.

Therefore, what I am saying is, it's not the games fault. Like any other piece of hardware or software, it is merely doing what YOU, the user told it to do. The fact that it is not giving you the desired result is nobody's fault but your own. It is merely doing what you told it to do. With this in mind, I suggest you go over your tactics, selections etc. and try again.

P.S. Sorry if the last bit seems harsh, but it's the plain truth.

Last edited:
@ RM-CdF - That is total BS. If it where 'scripted', exactly the same thing would happen every time no matter what, which is the meaning of the word.

There is no script. The game is random - how can there be a script?

If you are going to use a word, at least know what it means... oO)

FM conspiracy theory if ever there was one.

Besides, even if the game did predefine results before a match actually happens (which it doesn't) this would not be a problem if you where playing the game properly i.e. not reloading.

Last edited:
Yes, of course it would be. However, there are elements which you forget to take into acount.

The match engine is lifelike in the sense that no two matches are the same. If you did an experiment, played a game, saw it's outcome, then restarted and played exactly the same game, and saw it's outcome, it would be different. (OK, you might still win, but the score would be different or the scorers would be different etc.)

Why? Because the players have played 'differently' than before. The game will not follow the same pattern because the match engine will always intpret your instructions and put them out differently. How and why? I guess that the players 'decide' to do different things, react differently to things that you told them the first time...

I would insult you, but I don't have time to waste with that. Also, I can see that you don't really understand how technology, and most importantly, software, works.

Thats a possible explanation, of course. Possible but unlikely. Unless what happens BEFORE the game, before you save it, affects it a lot more than the tactics, line-ups and changes you make prior to it. Even so, that explanation fails to tell us why the game is gonna be hard no matter what if the saved game is a week old.

Its not BS as Tharros says, nor is it conspiracy. Its perfectly repeatable from an experimental point of view and anyone whos been in this game for years knows it. Its not also, as I said earlier a question of defeating Manchester United with your pub team. Most of the so called "rigged" games happen when the team youre managing is 1st or 2nd in the division and you play a game against a relegation team.

If you really think its BS and it doesnt happen, I respectfully suggest you put it to the test. Next time you lose one of those "weird" games with your team, indulge us, repeat it 5-10 times. Change tactics all you want and tell us about it.

Of course the so called "rigged" games (I use that word because that what weve been calling them for years, instead of scripted) dont happen every time. But everytime you lose to an inferior or similar team in an unexpected manner, chances are it is "scripted".

Status
Not open for further replies.