This game is sooooo scripted!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wooo wooo woooo

i agree its tuff losing a game like that but makes it so much beta when you smash them when you play them again bud.

in terms of scripting to a certain level the game has to be!!

@ Ganny - Who are you talking to lol? Me or RM-CdF?

I put it down to coincidence. Why would SI create a game that predefine what happens? There would be no point playing the game if the match engine is actually of no importance.

well, if for transfer, then yes, it has been scripted...
but for games, i dont think so....
i had done the same like u, reload the game, and try different approach, and the result is not the same...
i remember i use Malaysia, and lost to Bahrain 2 times, before i get lucky at 3rd time....
so there is no script for the match result... u just need to change the approach...
try not using same player even u are using different tactic.....
hope u get what u wanted.... ^^)

Ok, CL group stages... I'm Ajax, I lose to Rubin 2-1 away, and my laptop dies, I replay the game and win 4-0! Totally different, sometimes it's just coincidence

where are you asking is this game scripted??? IF im reading your first post correctly it says THIS GAME IS SOOOO SCRIPTED...not i wonder if its scripted.. You have one loss and are unbeaten in the league, get over it, if you didnt realise, its a football simulator game meaning it simulates real football..pointless thread

My opinion is similar to most, in that I don't think the game is scripted exactly. It is down to chance and mathematics. Much the same as the above post, I have played games before and forgot to save or it's crashed etc and I've ended up with a different result.

I don't think it's as mapped out and predetermined as you think.

Exactly Sharpy and AussieOchoa. RM-CdF is just terribly unlucky (or lucky) ;)

"The match engine is lifelike in the sense that no two matches are the same. If you did an experiment, played a game, saw it's outcome, then restarted and played exactly the same game, and saw it's outcome, it would be different."

"I would insult you, but I don't have time to waste with that."

No two matches or two scores are the same, true. But the result (win-lose) usually is. If, lets say, Spurs and City play at White Hart Lane, with both teams in the upper half, is safe to say that we´d probably have very different results should we repeat the game several times "in real life". In game that variability is pretty absent or very limited.

And I would never insult you. Its good and sane to discuss and have different opinions. That qualifies for a heated argument, but not usually for insults or disrepect. True, I know few things about programming. But I know things about life and football and I can tell you safely that a lot of games in FM, if you repeat them over and over, tend to have the same overall result (win-lose), something that, in real life, shouldnt happen.

And I respectfully rest my case.

Right just done a test. First game was Palermo (me) vs Catania...result was 1-1 so reloaded and selected everything I did first time and the result was 0-0...my conclusion is although every game is different the firmulas will become the same unless something dramactically is altered. Also tried changing everything and lost 2-0 ;-)

The game is not scripted as RM-CdF suggests, but just like in real life, even if you are the best team in the World with all the best players you will still lose sometimes.

Everyone who has played FM knows that sometimes the game does just **** you over, you can be top of the league and unbeaten and then lose to someone completely at random at home, as in real life (remember a few seasons ago when Middlesbrough beat Chelsea 3-0 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4680570.stm)

These random events do happen and they are part and parcel of the game and add to it's realism, but the game DOES NOT predetermine whether you are going to win or lose a match.

If you do lose to one of those teams, don't have a tantrum or start a thread about it, just get on with the game and win your next game.

FM is definitely not scripted. There is an extreme amount of variables that need to be taken into account.

Just one more thing to be clear.

Im not saying every game is scripted or rigged, actually few are. That would be absurd and the game would be all but unplayable.

But there are rigged games and the example proposed by the OP is a fair example for everyone who has played the game for so many years. It usually happens when the odds are in your favour, when you have had a good run of results and form, and the game itself, if not a proper upset, qualifies as a surprise,

Of course, this is the game. And we all suck it off. And so should the OP, agreed, but oohh, they do exist. And I dont know how it could be programmed, but it is.

Im a medical investigator in real life, and as I do in my job I normally try to experiment and try things. And I can tell you that sometimes, if you repeat one of those games over and over again with different tactics, different line-ups, etc..., and you do it lets say 10-15 times, the final result (WIN-LOSE, not the actual scoreline) is pretty much the same. And those, I insist, are games in which is not evident (on the contrary) you should lose.

And this time I do rest the case and let you discuss it further if you feel like it.

Yes, of course it would be. However, there are elements which you forget to take into acount.

The match engine is lifelike in the sense that no two matches are the same. If you did an experiment, played a game, saw it's outcome, then restarted and played exactly the same game, and saw it's outcome, it would be different. (OK, you might still win, but the score would be different or the scorers would be different etc.)

Why? Because the players have played 'differently' than before. The game will not follow the same pattern because the match engine will always intpret your instructions and put them out differently. How and why? I guess that the players 'decide' to do different things, react differently to things that you told them the first time...

I would insult you, but I don't have time to waste with that. Also, I can see that you don't really understand how technology, and most importantly, software, works.
if the game was scripted i you would either win the game or lose it why does the game have the tactical engine to it? Why would we all every time we are playiing tweak or tactics ever soo slightly to try and win the game or even in the game. No one one would by the game as it would be down to chance if you win the league rather than down to the persons ability to change the tactics to win the league or make adjustments in game. I personally feel this thread doesnt really have any real revelence and i think that saying its scrippted is very OTT.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Just one more thing to be clear.

Im not saying every game is scripted or rigged, actually few are. That would be absurd and the game would be all but unplayable.

But there are rigged games and the example proposed by the OP is a fair example for everyone who has played the game for so many years. It usually happens when the odds are in your favour, when you have had a good run of results and form, and the game itself, if not a proper upset, qualifies as a surprise,

Of course, this is the game. And we all suck it off. And so should the OP, agreed, but oohh, they do exist. And I dont know how it could be programmed, but it is.

Im a medical investigator in real life, and as I do in my job I normally try to experiment and try things. And I can tell you that sometimes, if you repeat one of those games over and over again with different tactics, different line-ups, etc..., and you do it lets say 10-15 times, the final result (WIN-LOSE, not the actual scoreline) is pretty much the same. And those, I insist, are games in which is not evident (on the contrary) you should lose.

And this time I do rest the case and let you discuss it further if you feel like it.
so you are saying that if you have beat every team in the leadgue so far and are top and play the bottom and either draw or lose thats wrong or scripted? thats football mate. A certain sunderland beat chelsea at the weekend. Ok not bottom but not a team who should be beatig chelsea 3 nil at home.

brido writes:

"so you are saying that if you have beat every team in the leadgue so far and are top and play the bottom and either draw or lose thats wrong or scripted? thats football mate. "

No. I agree thats football and any game who would fail taking upsets into account in its design would be flawed. At that we agree.

What I say is that, sometimes, those games are rigged and cant be beaten or its extraordinarily difficult to do so.

Following your example, its always possible for the Sunderland to upset Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Thats football. But, and now I ask you, if you could repeat in real life this game again, and again, and again... how many times do you think we would see the upset out of every... lets say 10? What Im saying is that certain games, if you repeat them over and over again tend to offer the same upset or the same result (again, not scoreline-wise).

Upsets? Yes pls. It wouldnt be football otherwise.
Predestined matches? Im not so sure about that... I would prefer random ocurrences but, as I said, Im not programmer.

brido writes:

"so you are saying that if you have beat every team in the leadgue so far and are top and play the bottom and either draw or lose thats wrong or scripted? thats football mate. "

No. I agree thats football and any game who would fail taking upsets into account in its design would be flawed. At that we agree.

What I say is that, sometimes, those games are rigged and cant be beaten or its extraordinarily difficult to do so.

Following your example, its always possible for the Sunderland to upset Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Thats football. But, and now I ask you, if you could repeat in real life this game again, and again, and again... how many times do you think we would see the upset out of every... lets say 10? What Im saying is that certain games, if you repeat them over and over again tend to offer the same upset or the same result (again, not scoreline-wise).

Upsets? Yes pls. It wouldnt be football otherwise.
Predestined matches? Im not so sure about that... I would prefer random ocurrences but, as I said, Im not programmer.
Well we partly agree, however the rest of it i am affraid i differ. I have reloaded my game. Most due to when either i get my best player injured or two red cards in game or shouldnt really lose lol, i am not saying i dont do these thing but i usually win the next time of asking so i dont feel that the game is anyway scripted. If for exaample you are say lyon and you are playing barcalona and you keep getting beat then that is understandable as they are a better team even tweaking your tactics might not win you that game but if you are loseing against a side that is not as good as you then i am affraid either your team is not as good as you think or your tactics are wrong.

brido:

With all due respect we have to agree on our disagreement :)

As I said before Im not new to the game and Ive found those so called "scripted" games tiem and again. Its true that Ive looked for them just out of curiosity with all intention. They are there ::))

Lets keep enjoying our favourite game.

The experiment of reloading is also not done in a good way. Allright, if you have one particular game and you load it over and over again. Maybe you would always win or lose, and the outcome will be quite the same. But then think, in real life, there's matches too when in the end you'll think, Team A was never able to defeat Team B, even not if they would have come up front with 0-1. Maybe the game in fm you experiment with, is one of those games.
So you would have to do the experiment with a number of matches. Then no-one is going to make me believe that every single one of those matches would give you always the same result, over and over again. If someone would show me that, I would quit playing. I play fm exactly for it not being scripted. If I load a game and go on holiday, let it generate to 20 years further (which I've been doing ever since playing fm, long time), there's always different stuff happened. Well let's not drift away from the discussion.
FM is not scripted, as scripted would mean you wouldn't have any influence. What is FM to you? The most realistic, influencable game I've ever played.
Earlies someone mentioned FIFA being not scripted at all. But according to me, FIFA can not be compared to FM, in that sense.

What utter tosh! Scripted my eye, you're just making excuses for your own failings.

The game is a computer simulation which relies HEAVILY on user input to determine the eventual outcomes. EVERYTHING you do in the game affects the results/players/staff/other clubs/etc.

To simplify it so the children can understand, the game is a series of switches (imagine a whole heap of light-switches on a board). If you turned half the switches ON and the other half OFF the result would be completely different to if you turned ALL the switches on or ALL the switches off. In the first example you would have half the lights on, in the second - all the lights would be on, in the third no lights would be on. Any combination of switch produces a slightly different effect to the last.

With the game being dependant on EVERYTHING you do, even offering a player a new deal or selling one can affect a result, you just have to figure out what works and what doesn't.

I'd like to bet that the OP said in their press conference prior to the mentioned game that they expected to win the game or something dumb like that. In the Sampdoria Challenge I'm undertaking I said prior to the first game of the season v Roma that Sampdoria would win the Serie A title: result, 2 players sent off and a 2-2 draw. We were ahead at the time of the sendings off and held on to almost the last minute AND missed a sitter in injury time. Did I cry about it? No, ofc not, because I KNEW what I'd done wrong and that had I not said that the result could have been very different.

Basically, flick the right switches and the game is easy, flick the wrong ones and it's tough... just like being a manager in RL ;)

Ganny insults people by saying they know nothing about programming and suggesting that all variables are mathematical etc.

Ganny, have you never heard of random number generation?

It's entirely possible for the game to have been written in such a way that random games from a range that fit certain mathematical criteria are "scripted" i.e. You lead the league, good run of form etc, and suddenly lose a home game to much lower opposition.

What's happened?

Hypothesis

The game's designers have decided that no team should win all games and quite right too. But us clever players work out how to get best players, tactics etc, so if they just left it to straightforward maths, we would always win.

What they do is create some random generator, based on certain conditions within the game, to decide that certain games will be heavily weighed against you. In these random games, the mathematical formulae are modified in favour of the lesser team and are modified by a very large factor, to make the outcome almost certain.

Note, I said "almost" certain.

I too have replayed some of these so called "scripted" games, maybe up to 20 times before eventually turning around the result.

So, based on my many years of playing, the evidence suggests very strongly to me, that my hypothesis is correct, in that the game programmers have chosen this method or something very similar, to ensure that we don't always win when we play as Barcelona and have all the best of everything.

I note some people who say they played a game and lost and then replayed and got a different result. That can happen a lot and these aren't the games being discussed here. There will always be some variability in the game and a small change at one point can have a big effect further down the line. That's chaos theory, which is also maths.

"Scripting", is it a good thing or a bad thing?

I'd like to see realism achieved in a different way to how the game designers have implemented it, but at the end of the day you can't win every game and if they can't find a better way, then I also will live with the frustration of "scripted" games.

This is still the game I most like to play and play most often.

first of all, this game is for fun and if anyone gets fun in winning every single game then let them restart, he paid for the game, he can play anyway he wants.

Ok now there are certain games where you will always loose because the game wants to screw you. I play as newcastle and came up against bristol city in a cup time. so thinking that its a easy game set it to only commentry and full speed and went to get coffee. I came back and saw the scoreline 4 - 0 to bristol city. shocked, i replaced 3 of the 11 players, said they are disappointing and started the second half only to loose 6 - 0 fulltime. I couldnt take that defeat so i restarted the game (always saves after every game due to power cuts) this time palyed the complete game. I was amazed to see the bristol city side that turned up that day. It is as if i was looking at barcelona with inch perfect passes from average players (comparatively). Then i started closing them down and tight marking them. I got 10 shots and only 1 on target that match. My striker lukaku beat the keeper twice and failed to put it past the net.

I lost 2 - 0, 1 goal comming from almost middle of the pitch and 2nd goal is even shocking. my keeper came out clear long pass, managed to give it to my CB who under pressure passed it to my LB (young shane furgusion) who just stood there until their LM came from midfield took the ball passed to their striker who score the goal.

and that how i got knocked out of league cup. and you know the worst part is

i had to type this twice since power went off just before clicking the post reply button.

Status
Not open for further replies.