Three-tactic-COMBO (Man Utd): CONQUER PL title! BANG Barcelona 6-2 Aggr! CL finalist!

your away tactics is really good. anyway back to the topic. i won barca 4-2 both away and home.
I won man city 3-0 using combo 3 when combo 1 doesnt work during 1st half.
i did not set anything. just use what you are using.
Is setting the PPM important? how to set it?

your away tactics is really good. anyway back to the topic. i won barca 4-2 both away and home.

You don't set PPM, its trained under preferred moves

hi duneboi,

It looks like that the way an attackers break into channel and run toward the goal is not changed much between FM2013 and FM2012, than it's good PPMs. There are two way to approach training it:
- In player's training tab, set new prefer move, then ask your coach to teach the player. "Break offside trap" in Movement area and "Try killer ball often" in passing. I prefer this way because you can see the player' Workload. Don't make it too heavy for the injury proneness like Persie, Cleverley and Anderson. Heavy is ok.
- Or simply right- click onto a player>training>request new preferred move, then you meet with the coach.
If coach say he does not agree with you, simply tell him to do what you say. Don't trust him lol

In the player' information you can see what prefer move he had. It defines much how he plays on field.

There is another way to teach PM to players, by tutoring, but I'm not mentioning it here.

Last edited:
So I'm about to post here the method I use to use analysis each match after it ended. This way I think my testers will know more about what information I really want from their matches to tweak up the tactics.

Hi guys,

So there are now 2 testers informed about their starts. I'm so happy (omg excited) because this is like first time my tactics can be test on forum like this, and hope the run can continue :)

I'm upset now because 2 recent days I have so little time on gaming and cannot even step into 2nd season with Man utd, however there are a few updates to the tactics as follows (actually I forgot to tell):

COMBO UPDATE 1.0
- Please make sure your Goalkeeper distribution is set to "Defender Collect" in 1Combo and 3Combo, and "Long kick" in 2Combo
- Except for the case you have some long thrower so it is your choice. If you have no player like this, please set your Throw in to "Short throw" (Otherwise you may concede some stupid losing ball)
- Only when opponent team have only one striker, you may try set opposite instruction for this striker "Mark always" and "Closing down always". Otherwise, you should leave opposition instruction as default. I myself do not have good experience with it, skilful dribbler players like Ronaldo and Gareth Bale can ruin your formation (If someone does try opposition instruction, please share your story with us)
- For people who want to try using Shouts, or immediate team instruction changes during match,you can concentrate on 2Combo (Counter tactic) and 3Combo (Dominant possession tactic). Actually, 3Combo is almost like 1Combo, but set to default for player instruction (However, this is not recommended yet, because 1Combo is still now proven to score a lot more than the other twos)
- DO not use Shout for 1Combo (Thank for apvmoreira information)
- PPM: strikers and wingers should learn to "break the offside trap". AMC should not. MCs and AMCs "try killer ball often"

Also, this update (1.0) I will add to OP. Hope for more feedbacks from you guys. I will try to update my game process soon.

About OI:

Always put everyone, including Gk, showing worst foot.
Usually i set wingers and strikers with hard tackle. If the player marking the zone or man gets an yellow, change that OI to normal tackling.

When dominating (combo 1 in this tactics) i usually use press all defenders and GK and CMs to get them to do long balls, so you can collect and start again.

If you use this with a defensive tactic (Combo2), you could destroy your defense line.

Just opinions m8s, don't assume this is certain

hi duneboi,

It looks like that the way an attackers break into channel and run toward the goal is not changed much between FM2013 and FM2012, than it's good PPMs. There are two way to approach training it:
- In player's training tab, set new prefer move, then ask your coach to teach the player. "Break offside trap" in Movement area and "Try killer ball often" in passing. I prefer this way because you can see the player' Workload. Don't make it too heavy for the injury proneness like Persie, Cleverley and Anderson. Heavy is ok.
- Or simply right- click onto a player>training>request new preferred move, then you meet with the coach.
If coach say he does not agree with you, simply tell him to do what you say. Don't trust him lol

In the player' information you can see what prefer move he had. It defines much how he plays on field.

There is another way to teach PM to players, by tutoring, but I'm not mentioning it here.

Don't forget that the PPMs used for a possession tactic will not work for a counter one, so be careful with what you put.

About OI:

Always put everyone, including Gk, showing worst foot.
Usually i set wingers and strikers with hard tackle. If the player marking the zone or man gets an yellow, change that OI to normal tackling.

When dominating (combo 1 in this tactics) i usually use press all defenders and GK and CMs to get them to do long balls, so you can collect and start again.

If you use this with a defensive tactic (Combo2), you could destroy your defense line.

Just opinions m8s, don't assume this is certain

Thank mate!

I will make feedback on this issue right after carefully check it on field :)

combo 1 doesnt seem to produce much key highlight for my team.

combo 1 doesnt seem to produce much key highlight for my team.

The most important difference between 1combo and 3combo is the range and tempo of passes. So maybe it's better for your team to use default setting.

So what is your 11 first choice for starting line-up? And until now who is the best player maker?

And you can go to: Man Utd> Team report> Goal then go to tab Goal Assists. Can you upload the screenshot here? :)

My first 8 games without this tactic with newcastle was w3 drawn 1 Lost 4. since taking on this combo tactic pl 13 w9 d3 l 1. Really works

My first 8 games without this tactic with newcastle was w3 drawn 1 Lost 4. since taking on this combo tactic pl 13 w9 d3 l 1. Really works

I'm happy it starts well with you my friend. Looking forward and hope for more good result from you!

However, if you want to improve even more, my suggestion is to slow down the game a little bit and look at the 4 games you cannot win. Is there any problem there?

Last edited:
Hi guys!

How are your games so far?

So today my friend came over my house, bringing his laptop. He's just a FM fan like me. However he complained about his Arsenal cannot grab any positive result right from the start of season.

So here the point: we have checked for like hours the tactics, try to do something, but the results are still not good enough. So I told him to take more care about match preparation. To my surprise he left all the matches training to the assistant! The best part is that, after pay attention to some management tasks, the results start to be better far more then expected, just with some random default tactics.

I'm here sure most of you, my friends, are now get familiar with FM this year, and have for yourself a individual managing method. I myself think the game now is closer to the real-life football. However, do not miss any single detail, any chip talk. Some smallest mistakes can lead to a losing run which never ends. Do not rush into matches like suicide! ;)

[h=2][/h]

what about match prep/training mate? how you set it up?

what about match prep/training mate? how you set it up?

Not sure if my method is better than your or not, hehe, but when I start the season I concentrate on More Match training (About one third to the left of the slide). Firstly just add in one tactic, and do not care about your assistant when he said you need at least two. First week concentrate on Fitness. After that, on tactic. I arrange 1 more friendly match plus to the ones arranged by my assistant. Right before the start, the familiarity is almost full so I can add the second tactic from here.

Into the season I concentrate to general training more, but leave minimum space for match training (slide it to the right and stop right before the preparation setting disappears): Defend set-piece or teamwork for Away match, Att movement for Home. For strong opponent I increase match training a little bit.

And I myself arrange friendly matches for my Reserve team during season, keep it once a week. Any player who did not play will be available for Reserve squad. My first squad should never have some one with Match fitness lower than 95% (except ones comeback from hospital)

Well, and before match-day, switch from overview to Morale tab, talk to single player to improve this. Check for Fitness tab after that. Do the best I can here. Then we sail to the match.

Hope that's help :)

View attachment 288649

i gotta tell you mate, this tactic is SICK! oh my god! unbelivable results! destroying everybody at home! abit weaker away from home, naturally, but still works fine.. The 4-4-1-1 also great so far, used it away to Everton and Spurs ( 2 very tough games ) and it performed great.. the 1 loss came from my mistakes at picking the team, started with 3 new players that i bought in the january window, and also used the attacking tactic so.. still owned the game with 5 CCC`s.

i think im gonna build my tactics from these ones here, they are really awesome! Congrats!

wow runeaa.. you used combo 1 all the way?

Mostly combo 1 yea, but combo 2 for the difficult away games, it was not even fluid and beat everton 5-2 and draw 2-2 away to spurs. both tactics seems very good..

Not sure if my method is better than your or not, hehe, but when I start the season I concentrate on More Match training (About one third to the left of the slide). Firstly just add in one tactic, and do not care about your assistant when he said you need at least two. First week concentrate on Fitness. After that, on tactic. I arrange 1 more friendly match plus to the ones arranged by my assistant. Right before the start, the familiarity is almost full so I can add the second tactic from here.

Into the season I concentrate to general training more, but leave minimum space for match training (slide it to the right and stop right before the preparation setting disappears): Defend set-piece or teamwork for Away match, Att movement for Home. For strong opponent I increase match training a little bit.

And I myself arrange friendly matches for my Reserve team during season, keep it once a week. Any player who did not play will be available for Reserve squad. My first squad should never have some one with Match fitness lower than 95% (except ones comeback from hospital)

Well, and before match-day, switch from overview to Morale tab, talk to single player to improve this. Check for Fitness tab after that. Do the best I can here. Then we sail to the match.

Hope that's help :)

I use this:

1st 4 weeks:
General:
-physical/fitness
Match preparation:
- tactics
All games all players do 45 minutes

Why?

Very important to have all players with the maximum health. The season is very long and you will prevent injuries and players with low morale or fitness

1 week before starting of season:
General:
- tactics
Match preparation:
- tactics

Its important for the well fit players to get more in contact with your ideas

After the tactic is gelled:
General:
Ball control
Match preparation:
Your major weakness

So, you have the fitness and the tactic, now get the player to pass the ball well and fluid, so they can do what you want! In terms of match preparation it depends on what you feel the team needs against the opponent

About the amount of each:

I use 2 days for match preparation, no rest before, just after and the rest for general. if you use too much match preparation, your players will not develop.

Hop it help.

Hi guys!

How are your games so far?

So today my friend came over my house, bringing his laptop. He's just a FM fan like me. However he complained about his Arsenal cannot grab any positive result right from the start of season.

So here the point: we have checked for like hours the tactics, try to do something, but the results are still not good enough. So I told him to take more care about match preparation. To my surprise he left all the matches training to the assistant! The best part is that, after pay attention to some management tasks, the results start to be better far more then expected, just with some random default tactics.

I'm here sure most of you, my friends, are now get familiar with FM this year, and have for yourself a individual managing method. I myself think the game now is closer to the real-life football. However, do not miss any single detail, any chip talk. Some smallest mistakes can lead to a losing run which never ends. Do not rush into matches like suicide! ;)

Won the League Cup, 1-5 against City :)
Won 0-3 against Juve
Won 1-0 against Juve

Used Combo 2 away, combo 1 at home.

This where the hardest, but i have won all. Congratz for this m8.

Btw, i left my assistant the Oi and it works pretty well.

View attachment 288790View attachment 288791View attachment 288792View attachment 288793View attachment 288794View attachment 288795View attachment 288796View attachment 288797View attachment 288798View attachment 288799View attachment 288800

Cheers to all, guy!

So like I told you yesterday, my friend came over. We spent all night long on his Arsenal save. After reshaping the club with match fitness and preparation, we put on work on tactics. We developed a 5-4-1 tactic for Arsenal, and add up 2Combo and 3Combo. We just played like for fun, and just kept playing all night. The results are quite positive. Long run of 26 unbeaten matches which I hope he can lengthen it to beat the club record of 49 games after he returned home. Just like he's the manager and I am the assistant.

Since it is the first time combo tactics have been used on another team, I have extracted some lessons which I will share below. After testing all carefully, I will consider to put some improvements into the OP update. Here are the things:

- You do not really need 2Combo at Away and 1Combo and 3Combo at Home. I have reverted them and results still good. It is just about timing. Just keep in mind that 2Combo is a Counter long ball tactic which can defend good, 3Combo is more attacking short. Sometimes maybe just switch to the other if one of them does not work
- For ones who want to know how we used the tactics, we rotate 3Combo and 5-4-1 tactics for first score, then every time we lead the scoreline, switch to 2Combo for more solid defend
- We made some tweaks for 2Combo on Arsenal: Increase 2 knots for waste time. Rotate the Target man tick to AML, AMR and STRK when team does not score
- By random mixing all things up, we get almost similar results at Home and Away. To my surprise, just nothing much different between Home and Away matches
- Slow striker like Giroud still performs very well. Put Target man feed to "Mixed" rather than "Run onto ball" and he can score from header
- We did not use any opposite instruction during last night
- My friend brought in Agger and Raul Abidol. He sold a lot. Gervinho and Diaby. His squad looks a bit weak. Not understand much but he's just like a manager who want to save money.
- Agger did great at MCL, like what Phil Jones did in my Man utd save, even he's totall not familiar with this postion
- After winter transfer we brought in Moussa Sisokho and Adelmilson, who played well in STRK and at MCR slot.

Great gaming night with full of laughing anyway

So cheer guy! Just some sharing information. Now I will return to my save. Hope that the tactics will be more improved! ;)

Last edited: