Totaal Voetbal - Cruijff/Michels 4-3-3 Challenge

tomfmlfc

Reaction score
I've always been a great admirer of the Cruijff/Michels total football philosophy, I've decided to attempt to implement a tactic as much like to like as possible (any tactic creators are welcome to join in with this challenge).

What is Total Football based on?

• Short precise passing
  • Quick tempo and high intense pressing
  • Free roaming with high creative freedom (10 players attack, 10 players defend, a lot of interchanging)
  • High defensive line
  • Wing/Full backs and Wingers must hug the touchline to maximize the width

Here's a short video of arguably the greatest "Total Football" side of all time, Holland 1974 :

[video=youtube;AGyxPi9HdiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGyxPi9HdiE[/video]

The Total Football philosophy depends heavily on the nature of players in a team. Not every team can play it. In fact, there are very few teams that could do it and that is what led to suggestions that the Dutch side of 1974 World Cup was the best footballing side ever to have played. Total football requires all ten outfield players to be very strong technical footballers. The positions of all of the players are switched continuously but this is not restricted to players playing in the same position.

For example, a defender must not only be able to change positions with another defender. Total Football requires all players to be interchangeable. In other words, a defender must be able to switch with a forward if need be and a forward with a midfielder and so on. The only player who is not required to switch positions is the goalkeeper.

The formation I'll be intending to use

54FDAB8207918D755EF57F9ACE371628F6EA081B

Am contemplating whether or not to change the limited defender for a Libero role.

This formation may change due to tweaking periods, however this is in my opinion the most suitable formation for the philosophy in question.

As I previously stated if anybody is interested in taking up the challenge with myself then your more then weclome, I'll be updating this thread with results/tweaks until it's perfected.

The Tactic!

When I use the tactic I never do the team talks I've always left that for the assistant manager to do as well as opponent instructions, your obviously perfectly entitled to do it if you wish.

Match training

I personally do 1 week off Team Cohesion and 1 week off Tactics on repeat until the season starts, at this point I put it on balanced , average intensity. For match training I always prefer to use defensive positioning which I highly recommend, I also allow rest before and after matches. Remember to train the players in their individual roles!

Player attributes

Keeper - Just a general solid keeper
Centre-backs - Passing, Composure, Tackling, Positioning etcetera (Agger, Vertonghen..)
Wing-backs - Pace, Stamina, Crossing, Tackling etcetera (Walker , Johnson..)
BWM's - Tackling, Strength, Passing, Stamina etcetera (Dembele, Leiva..)
Wingers - Pace, Flair, Creativity, Crossing (Dyer, Lennon..)
Complete Forward - Finishing, Heading, Composure etcetera (Cisse, Adebayor..)

Team talks

All team talks done on assertive

Easy home games - Expect to win
Tough home/away games - For the fans
Lesser opposition away - Relax - Expect to win

Half time if winning - Doing well keep it up
Drawing against lesser opposition - Far from pleased
Drawing against same/better opposition - For the fans , Keep it up

Post match if won - Very pleased , Similar
If drawn, lost against lesser opposition - Not happy
(for away and home and use it at home against good opposition)
If drawn, lost against similar/better opposition away - Unlucky

Tactic success

Courtesy of Darandio who magnificently done a clean sweep and won every trophy he competed for in 2015 with Liverpool.

311620d1361033884-totaal-voetbal-cruijff-michels-4-3-3-challenge-overview-home-2.png

I'd really appreciate it if you could all post your results, I also highly recommend that you do NOT tweak the tactic.

View attachment 303736

Last edited:
So far so good, best not speak to soon.. (H)

ACB3F623B9DB20E67D06E37696F7BB1D505C594D

Should of battered City

EA51C5934D9274B498294972D3C632115BC1F38F

I'll see if this works with my Ipswich save. I have a similar tactic I use when I want to try and control possession in matches. It has worked well for you. Have you ever thought of maybe changinging one of the midfielders to a playmaker?

I'll see if this works with my Ipswich save. I have a similar tactic I use when I want to try and control possession in matches. It has worked well for you. Have you ever thought of maybe changinging one of the midfielders to a playmaker?

No, Simply because the idea of this tactic was for the team to attack and defend as a whole unit, the 3 BBM's all have the exact same PI's.

The tactic is working wonders, just overcome the toughest challenge yet, Chelsea away

DA908FD5D8D413C90BE83FF43D4085EBD6603A42

Another 2 extremely tough games out of the way.

It's extremely pleasing to have out played both these teams at there own grounds

9BCC9FAE5DA43A2BEB40F07A4F67565F233CDE61

A2328933BC79EF1FBE796C6F340B384082F28F1D

The tactic your using is not mine, i haven't released it yet.
yeah I nearly made that mistake of using that tactic. I didnt read it right and it was another tactic someone had put on your post. When will it be available?

yeah I nearly made that mistake of using that tactic. I didnt read it right and it was another tactic someone had put on your post. When will it be available?

Going to finish the season and if all's well I'll make it available bud.

Going to finish the season and if all's well I'll make it available bud.
No worries mate. I have put a thread on here for my ipswich save. I have a home and away tactic but i am not completely happy with my possession one. so will look forward to trying it

Tactic is now released! Download from OP!

A few teasers :

Manchester United - League cup final!

E946BD4EEBC2BA52DAA9EB7531B33475FC63FDEB

Manchester City league match away!

0997375B9057E38BA5E6548521667E80919A1581

Last edited:
I've always been a great admirer of the Cruijff/Michels total football philosophy, I've decided to attempt to implement a tactic as much like to like as possible (any tactic creators are welcome to join in with this challenge).

What is Total Football based on?

• Short precise passing
  • Quick tempo and high intense pressing
  • Free roaming with high creative freedom (10 players attack, 10 players defend, a lot of interchanging)
  • High defensive line
  • Wing/Full backs and Wingers must hug the touchline to maximize the width

Here's a short video of arguably the greatest "Total Football" side of all time, Holland 1974 :

[video=youtube;AGyxPi9HdiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGyxPi9HdiE[/video]

The Total Football philosophy depends heavily on the nature of players in a team. Not every team can play it. In fact, there are very few teams that could do it and that is what led to suggestions that the Dutch side of 1974 World Cup was the best footballing side ever to have played. Total football requires all ten outfield players to be very strong technical footballers. The positions of all of the players are switched continuously but this is not restricted to players playing in the same position.

For example, a defender must not only be able to change positions with another defender. Total Football requires all players to be interchangeable. In other words, a defender must be able to switch with a forward if need be and a forward with a midfielder and so on. The only player who is not required to switch positions is the goalkeeper.

The formation I'll be intending to use

54FDAB8207918D755EF57F9ACE371628F6EA081B

Am contemplating whether or not to change the limited defender for a Libero role.

This formation may change due to tweaking periods, however this is in my opinion the most suitable formation for the philosophy in question.

As I previously stated if anybody is interested in taking up the challenge with myself then your more then weclome, I'll be updating this thread with results/tweaks until it's perfected.

The Tactic!

When I use the tactic I never do the team talks I've always left that for the assistant manager to do as well as opponent instructions, your obviously perfectly entitled to do it if you wish.

Match training

I personally do 1 week off Team Cohesion and 1 week off Tactics on repeat until the season starts, at this point I put it on balanced , average intensity. For match training I always prefer to use defensive positioning which I highly recommend, I also allow rest before and after matches. Remember to train the players in their individual roles!

Player attributes

Keeper - Just a general solid keeper
Centre-backs - Passing, Composure, Tackling, Positioning etcetera (Agger, Vertonghen..)
Wing-backs - Pace, Stamina, Crossing, Tackling etcetera (Walker , Johnson..)
BWM's - Tackling, Strength, Passing, Stamina etcetera (Dembele, Leiva..)
Wingers - Pace, Flair, Creativity, Crossing (Dyer, Lennon..)
Complete Forward - Finishing, Heading, Composure etcetera (Cisse, Adebayor..)

I'd really appreciate it if you could all post your results, I also highly recommend that you do NOT tweak the tactic.

P.s can a admin/mod approve this tactic when possible, thank you.

View attachment 303736

Funny enough ive made a tactic based ''total voetbal'', havent implented it yet in my cardiff save as i havent got the the right players quite yet, only question i have is the fact that michel total voetball wasnt pretty passing, its more direct, not like the tic tac of barca, yes there were short passing but they way the dutch played they didnt need to pass the ball around all day to score, they found the most effect way of getting the ball into the back of the net, wether it be short precise passes or a quick ball over the top of the defense. To be honest its impossible to recreate such a great tactic, with all the nessacary elements ie, players swapping positions not just for the sake of it but for a reason. Also i noticed that your center mid isnt attacking? didnt cruijff drop deep or swap with the center mid?. Anyway goodluck i hope you guys manage to perfect the tactic, it wonderful football to watch.
Johnny.