Tottenham v Arsenal [19:45 - 20/04/11]

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 166
  • Views Views 9K
Status
Not open for further replies.
North London XI Is not only Tottenham and Arsenal, what about Barnet?

I didin't say so..i know he didin't try. But the keeper got the ball first and Bale is super fast and he should slow down because surely he can see the keeper is close to getting the ball.

He tries to impress too hard. Gets 100% in situations where you maybe should slow down a bit.
That's called determination and commitment, not that a Man City fan will understand with your Balotellis ;).

Lets try and and make a non Bias North London 11

Szenzsy​

Sagna Dawson Vermaelen BAE​

Thudd​

Nasri Fabregas Modric​

VDV​

RVP​
Szenzsy instead of Gomes? No way just because of one blunder.

Gomes

Sagna - Vermaelen - Dawson - Bale

Sandro

Huddlestone - Fabregas

Walcott - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Modric

Van Persie

A great team, but imagine a Manchester team :wub:! Rooney, Tevez, Nani, Yaya Toure, etc.​

I didn't watch the game but it sounds good, a 3-3 draw at WHL. Just out of interest, how was Gallas' reception :P?​

Last edited:
There's a lot wrong with that team, Paul.

Firstly, Bale hasn't been a LB for a long time.

Secondly, Huddlestone needs to be deployed deep for his passing vision to be effective and constant. If you push up up-field, he's expecting to have too much of a roaming task within the team and it just doesn't suit his game. Though I definitely disagree with the inclusion of Sandro so soon into his Premier League career, swapping him with Huddlestone would be a better idea.

Finally, Modric is not a winger. He needs to play centrally, all the time. No exceptions.

BAE was amazing last night, such an underrated player, better than Clichy. Here is my North London 4-4-2. Sorry Van Der Vaart.

Szezcsny
Sagna - Dawson - Vermaalen - BAE
Lennon - Fabregas - Modric - Nasri
Van Persie - Chamakh

I also think we looked better when Bale wasn't on the pitch, we weren't relying on him too much, which made it an all round good performance. And Crouch did well

NEW POST: Tactical analysis: Tottenham 3-3 Arsenal: Another lead is lost, hope is all that remains Tottenham 3-3 Arsenal: Another lead is lost, hope is all that remains | Arsenal Report

Touching on:

- The excellent BAE,
- Narrow vs Wide: How Arsenal played before and after half-time at the back,
- Arsenal's hopeful balls forward to RvP - and why they didn't work,
- Tottenham's focus on the left-wing.

Oh and:

Szczesny

Sagna Dawson Vermaelen BAE

Thud

Fabregas Modric

Nasri ------------ Bale

RvP​

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

BAE was amazing last night, such an underrated player, better than Clichy. Here is my North London 4-4-2. Sorry Van Der Vaart.

Szezcsny
Sagna - Dawson - Vermaalen - BAE
Lennon - Fabregas - Modric - Nasri
Van Persie - Chamakh

I also think we looked better when Bale wasn't on the pitch, we weren't relying on him too much, which made it an all round good performance. And Crouch did well

Bale was shocking. Went into 8 duels (5 on the ground, 3 in the air) and won none of them.

Lennon was far better at running at Sagna and getting into the space.

--------Szcezeny-------------
Sagna-Gallas-Dawson-Clichy
------Thudd-Modric--------
Nasri---Fabregas--Bale
----------RVP----------

Practically the same North London XI as I chose, Joss, though I left the goalkeeper spot open for either.

Practically the same North London XI as I chose, Joss, though I left the goalkeeper spot open for either.

Yeah - I think Szczesny showed his inexperience last night at times.. Good and bad aspects to his game - on the one hand, did brilliant against Bale when he took him out in the box and won the ball, made a good save from VdV and from Modric, but also v slow and wrong decision vs Lennon (pen) and probably shouldn't be beaten at his near post.

Same with Gomes - probably should have saved Nasri's shot and made an error similar to the one vs Madrid vs RvP (when he was ONside ;)) but got away with it thanks to the linesman.. also made a top save from Walcott but wasn't credited with it (GK given but looked like he had a touch) - Think Woj. is better overall tbh but GKs are often a liability.

What a great game. Maybe one of the best Premiership matches I've seen. Was real disappointed to see Arsenal lose their lead again. But they were obviously drained and tired and couldn't do much in the last half hour after the score was tied. Too bad. Even if Arsenal somehow won the rest of their games, and Chelsea for whatever reason fights for a point at OT, I'm sure ManU will win all of the other games. They're all easy if I remember correctly.

Next year will be their year though. I think they'll be the team to beat in the Prem if they can stay healthy. And if they could just get rid of the loser's mentality. I hope this year's CC loss doesn't do irreparable damage to their psyche that carries over to next season (IMO that's why they lost everything else this season, they had that week where they lost in three competitions and that crushed their spirits).

Next year will be their year though. I think they'll be the team to beat in the Prem if they can stay healthy. And if they could just get rid of the loser's mentality. I hope this year's CC loss doesn't do irreparable damage to their psyche that carries over to next season (IMO that's why they lost everything else this season, they had that week where they lost in three competitions and that crushed their spirits).

Thats what they've been saying for four years.

My North London Team would be:

Szczesny
Sagna Gallas Dawson BAE
Thudd
Fibreglass Modric
Lennon/Walcott Nasri/VDV Bale
RVP​

Last edited:

Szczesny
Sagna Gallas Dawson BAE
Thudd
Fibreglass Modric
RVP​

That would destroy any team. But maybe I would swap Gallas/Dawson for King (when fit)

That would destroy any team. But maybe I would swap Gallas/Dawson for King (when fit)

I would swap both of the CB's with King and Woody ideally but as they aren't fit they have been disregarded, so I don't know why people have picked Vermaelen? :S

Szczesny
Sagna Gallas Dawson BAE
Thudd
Fibreglass Modric
RVP​

Would be an awesome team. The difference is though is that Arsenal aren't losing players any more and they've gone out and spent money the last two seasons. Their time will come. Remember how much Barca struggled earlier on? They sucked for a while, it took them a long-time to build what they have now. The difference is that Arsenal never fell out of the top 4 while Barca has. I bet in some years time this Arsenal team will be great.

I would swap both of the CB's with King and Woody ideally but as they aren't fit they have been disregarded, so I don't know why people have picked Vermaelen? :S

Because he's better than Gallas? Seems odd to pick Gallas after his performance on Wednesday night...

And because King and Woodgate have been permanently injured for about 3 years. Vermaelen has missed one season..

Do you genuinely believe your defence is better than ours? Not trying to start an argument - just think that team is ridiculously biased.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Would be an awesome team. The difference is though is that Arsenal aren't losing players any more and they've gone out and spent money the last two seasons. Their time will come. Remember how much Barca struggled earlier on? They sucked for a while, it took them a long-time to build what they have now. The difference is that Arsenal never fell out of the top 4 while Barca has. I bet in some years time this Arsenal team will be great.

It's a 10 year plan - started after/just before the Invincibles season - bringing in waves of youngsters who will be ready to step up when the current crop of players are past their peak.

Players like Bartley, Frimpong etc. (That age group) should be providing reliable competition to the current First XI (if all goes to plan and they all stay - which I think they will; no financial obligation to sell Fab & co.) when they reach their peaks (Next year/year after) and then when the Current First XI is past their peak, they'll have the experience to help the 1st 'wave' of players to come into the team and become first choice..

The idea is that the process will continue and we have enough quality in our Youth and Reserve Teams (ripping apart the Dallas Cup atm) to dominate the English league in a similar way to Barcelona not long from now.

The Mighty Transition: Why Arsenal Haven’t Won Anything In 6 Years | Arsenal Report

Because he's better than Gallas? Seems odd to pick Gallas after his performance on Wednesday night...

And because King and Woodgate have been permanently injured for about 3 years. Vermaelen has missed one season..

Do you genuinely believe your defence is better than ours? Not trying to start an argument - just think that team is ridiculously biased.

First things first, Gallas has been exceptional this season probably being the signing of the season. Gallas has been fit almost all season, where as Vermaelen has been injured almost all season. Arsenals team lack leaders from the back, and Gallas and Daws are both fantastic leaders and if you had them at the heart of your defence, you would most probably be top with ease. Also, Benny > Clichy. Most underrated player in the PL.

First things first, Gallas has been exceptional this season probably being the signing of the season. Gallas has been fit almost all season, where as Vermaelen has been injured almost all season. Arsenals team lack leaders from the back, and Gallas and Daws are both fantastic leaders and if you had them at the heart of your defence, you would most probably be top with ease. Also, Benny > Clichy. Most underrated player in the PL.

Didn't say anything about BAE - if you look at my team, I put BAE in there.

Firstly - Gallas = signing of the season? LOL. That is all.

If Gallas was such a brilliant leader why were people saying we lacked a leader when he was at Arsenal? And why did he sit down and have a tantrum when we drew at St. Andrew's? And why did he upset so many people in the dressing room? He's disruptive and he isn't better than Vermaelen.

I agree Dawson is a superb defender, but since you've conceded almost 40 goals this season - your defence can't be THAT good. You've conceded the same amount of goals as Fulham and Gallas made two big errors on Wed. night.

Didn't say anything about BAE - if you look at my team, I put BAE in there.

Firstly - Gallas = signing of the season? LOL. That is all.

If Gallas was such a brilliant leader why were people saying we lacked a leader when he was at Arsenal? And why did he sit down and have a tantrum when we drew at St. Andrew's? And why did he upset so many people in the dressing room? He's disruptive and he isn't better than Vermaelen.

I agree Dawson is a superb defender, but since you've conceded almost 40 goals this season - your defence can't be THAT good. You've conceded the same amount of goals as Fulham and Gallas made two big errors on Wed. night.

Right, name me a better signing this season? Free transfer, experienced world cup winner and without him we could have been stuffed considering our injuries. Obviously he didn't get on with certain players at Arsenal granted, but at Spurs there have been no reports at all of any dressing room uprest and he has simply lead by example, especially against Milan.

Regarding the last part. We have conceded 39 goals and you gave conceded 34. Hardly a world of difference is it? Especially considering the goalkeeping mistakes.

How you can disregard Gallas because of one game is astonishing. Remember at the Emirates? He was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back