True Man Utd Fan

Lemi95

Reaction score
Yeah, my first thread! :D
Finaly...

Ok, this is the story:
My and a couple of my friends (Arsenal and United fans) were chatting and came to an idea to create the best EPL team, and so we did. But than we wanted to create the reserve team, and when we came to the DC's (which were supposed to be the 3rd and 4th best in the league) the United fan said: "Samlling huh?"

Dead serious!!!

I as a Villa fan immediately suggested Dunne as he was the first one to come across my mind, an my Arsenal friend said that Vermaelen is a better player than Smalling. And the guy said: "You must be joking, I don't even want to discuss this"

Later he admitted that he was wrong (not in case of Dunne) but still claimed that Smalling is one of the best. A true United fan, huh? He had 5 Man Utd players in Top EPL team ( Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Rooney and Nani)

So my question is, how many DC's better than Chris Smalling can we name?
Thanks! ;)

Smalling has come a long way in such a short amount of time! It can't be easy for someone who was playing in the lower leagues just three years ago to make an instant impact in the first squad at one of the top clubs in the world.. Smalling will be a great player.

Smalling has come a long way in such a short amount of time! It can't be easy for someone who was playing in the lower leagues just three years ago to make an instant impact in the first squad at one of the top clubs in the world.. Smalling will be a great player.

This. But i think he is not still world class.

Scott Dann, Roger Johnson, Shawcross, Cahill, Ciaran Clark, Vermaelan, Jagielka, Alex and Terry

It will be a long thread if you want to know all the better cb's in the EPL

Most teams have 2/3 better than him so im just going to say that he is about the 45th best cb in the league. I really dont want to name each one of them.

It will be a long thread if you want to know all the better cb's in the EPL

Most teams have 2/3 better than him so im just going to say that he is about the 45th best cb in the league. I really dont want to name each one of them.

Being a tad silly now. Smalling is a great defender at such a young age. No way is he 45th CB. Got to be in the top 15, maybe top 10.

Being a tad silly now. Smalling is a great defender at such a young age. No way is he 45th CB. Got to be in the top 15, maybe top 10.
maybe top 30 at a push, he hasnt done enough to prove himself yet.

maybe top 30 at a push, he hasnt done enough to prove himself yet.

I'd agree if your going by past seasons and more than the last couple of months, Smalling hasn't done much no. Mainly cause he's young ;). But if your going by current form, then Smalling must be near the top.

For someone of his experience I think he has great composure.

Lets be honet.... It goes Vidic > Rio > Smalling > *

There are loads better than him, he's young though.

Lets be honet.... It goes Vidic > Rio > Smalling > *

I would even put Evans before Smalling......For me he has not proved himself yet.....I mean he has to be consisitant for at least 4-5 seasons before I put him in the 'world class' category imo.

Its like saying Rooney is the best striker in the league! We can all see its got to be Heskey.

he plays well alongside vidic because vidic directs him and pretty much tells him what to do, you can see that.

hes gonna be amazing in a few years when he can do that for himself and after getting all the experience.

for now? hes good, but only alongside someone who is commanding and someone who can direct him and help him improve (like vidic.)

Vermaelen or Smalling ?
Is your friend serious????

Vermaelen anyday of the week

Ignasi Miquel.

A whole host of other players. There are loads of better CBs than Smalling all over the world.

Ignasi Miquel.

A whole host of other players. There are loads of better CBs than Smalling all over the world.

That's why it's centre backs in the EPL not worldwide.