Chris Samba
Ryan Nelsen
Alex
Sylvain Distin
Brede Hangeland
Vincent Kompany
Matt Upson

Need I name more?

I agree with all of them except Upson, Distin and Nelsen. But it's personal opinion.

At Rangers he was always CB, where does he play now?
He also plays as a CB in Villa.
Rarely, he has the chance to play as a RB.

^Basically that, although he has been played more as a right back because of Collins and Dunne's central defensive partnership. I reckon he's better than Dunne, he deserves his chance in the middle.

Haters be hating. Can't non-Manchester United fans just admit that Chris Smalling has exceptional talent? You don't take the gigantic strides he has done and be able to say that you've coped in Europe and silenced a number of great strikers in your first season at a big club like he has done

Lad's a decent prospect. Looks like he'll be a cracking player. But he's nowhere near it now. He was taken to school by Suarez, Kuyt and Meireles on Sunday. No shame in that because he is, still, just a kid who needs experience of playing at the very highest level. When Smalling's performances push a fit Ferdinand or Vidic out of the side, that's when you can start mentioning him as one of the top defenders in the league. I can think of three young centre-backs at Liverpool I'd rate as at the same level as him currently - one of them actually displaced the best rightback England currently have to leftback.

John Terry
David Luiz
Thomas Vermaelen
Jamie Carragher
Martin Skrtel
Richard Dunne
Rio Ferdinand
Nemanja Vidic
Ledley King
Daniel Agger
Laurent Koscielny
Scott Dann
Roger Johnson
Carlos Cuellar
Kolo Toure
Joleon Lescott
William Gallas
Michael Dawson
Gary Cahill
Chris Samba
Ryan Nelsen
Alex
Sylvain Distin
Brede Hangeland
Vincent Kompany
Matt Upson

Need I name more?

Maybe add some other guys previously named such as Woodgate, Jagielka, King, Cuellar, Shawcross and even Ridgewell, and we could complete the list, partially.
There are definitely a lot more players that are on the same or similar level so they can also be counted, but there's just too many.

Thanks for the help... :D

If you want, keep adding the players, frustrates my friend that I opened a thread because of him... ;)

Last edited:
Maybe add some other guys previously named such as Woodgate, Jagielka, King, Cuellar and even Ridgewell, and we could complete the list, partially.
There are definitely a lot more players that are on the same or similar level so they can also be counted, but there's just too many.

Woodgate hasn't played for so long, we can't tell. King and Cuellar are in the list. Ridgewill is a horrific CB.

Ciaran Clark is near to being a very good CB. I honestly rate him above Dunne, whose name has been mentioned in this thread more than one. Probably not as good as Smalling, mind. Also, Johan Djourou? He's been brilliant at times this year, and solid for the rest.

My Top 10, would say vidic is the best with kompany very close behind

Vidic
Kompany
Terry
Hangeland
Jagielka
David Luiz
Cuellar
Gary Cahill
Samba
Dann

King and Cuellar are in the list. Ridgewill is a horrific CB.

Sorry for that, my mistake.
And in case Ridgwell, I think I'll listen to your opinion. I mean, you are GodCubed.

How so? Make a point when you post, rather than posting nonsense.

Okay I will make my point........Chris Smalling has made what!!!......50 odd appearences in his very short career.....how many times has he even played in europe!!??? How many England caps does he have!!??? and to even say he is better then most squads 'back-ups'/ Samba and whoever else that has been mentioned is a joke......Yes he has potential, Nothing more, nothing less...As for beening 'world class' imo you have to be proven, not over 6 months, I mean 4-5 years. Most of these defenders have underwear older then him.....so take your head out your **** and speak proper sense mon!!!

As for beening 'world class' imo you have to be proven, not over 6 months, I mean 4-5 years.

I see. So there goes Messi, seeing as five years ago he was a teenager of considerable talent but definitely not world class, not to mention being relatively unproven on many a stage.

But how long as he been proving this for!!??? He could easily gone the other way...and been a flash in the pan!!!! for example Ryan Babel, Theo Walcott, Freddy Adu, SWP, D' Allessandro, Adriano, Aimar, Ortega, Rossi, the list is endless!!!

For **** sake give the guy at least a season before you declare him a cb god or ****. At the moment he is a youngster playing at a huge club alongside a master in either Vidic or Camel Gob.

He has shown in this VERY EARLY stage in his development that he has the POTENTIAL to be a top player IF he develops the way United would want him too. Sorry guys but a few decent games does NOT make him one of the best defenders in the league, not even anywhere close. Dedryk Boyata and Phil Jones have both done just as well as him. Would you say either of those are close to best in the league?

Kompany and Vidic are the best. Then take your pick:

Terry, Ferdinand, Cahill, Dunne, Carragher, Alex, Ivanovic, Toure, Gallas, Vermaelen, Dawson, Ridgewell etc... Loads more better than Smalling at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would even put Evans before Smalling......For me he has not proved himself yet.....I mean he has to be consisitant for at least 4-5 seasons before I put him in the 'world class' category imo.

Lol lol lol jonny Evans is a joke. I went to molineux to see united lost at wolves he was taken off about 60 minutes he was totally bullied and pushed about my Kevin Doyle who is no drogba in the strength department. I also remember Carlton cole giving him the run around in the carling cup. Smalling and brown should be ahead of him at OT.

Lad's a decent prospect. Looks like he'll be a cracking player. But he's nowhere near it now. He was taken to school by Suarez, Kuyt and Meireles on Sunday. No shame in that because he is, still, just a kid who needs experience of playing at the very highest level. When Smalling's performances push a fit Ferdinand or Vidic out of the side, that's when you can start mentioning him as one of the top defenders in the league. I can think of three young centre-backs at Liverpool I'd rate as at the same level as him currently - one of them actually displaced the best rightback England currently have to leftback.
cant argue with any of that. though given how defensively ***** Johnson is, that wasnt exactly hard. I know you mean Kelly but which other two? because i'd put Smalling ahead of wilson

My Top 10, would say vidic is the best with kompany very close behind

Vidic
Kompany
Terry
Hangeland
Jagielka
David Luiz
Cuellar
Gary Cahill
Samba
Dann

No vermealen? I'd say hes easily up there but then again I'm biased.

cant argue with any of that. though given how defensively ***** Johnson is, that wasnt exactly hard. I know you mean Kelly but which other two? because i'd put Smalling ahead of wilson

Johnson's defensive vulnerability is overplayed. Few goals come down Liverpool's right - most this season have come from our left-back position [edit: in fairness, those have dried up since Konchesky got bombed out of the squad] and have done for a couple of seasons now (from open play).

Currently, I'd say there's not much to choose between Smalling, Wilson (Scottish young player of the year last season) and Ayala (who's impressed both at Liverpool and more recently at Hull). Kelly's a bit further ahead, but then so's Johnny Evans.

Smalling's probably going to be a better player than Wilson and Ayala will develop into if I'm honest, but at the moment he's still got to develop into that player. That's purely because he's got the technical ability and the physical attributes in combination. Wilson's got a lot of filling out to do, and Ayala will never have the pace of Smalling. But then Smalling's positional sense is nowhere near good enough yet - that'll improve with yet more experience you'd hope.

Last edited:
Scott Dann, Roger Johnson, Shawcross, Cahill, Ciaran Clark, Vermaelan, Jagielka, Alex and Terry

Ciaran Clark????? mistake surely, Dann and Johnson as a partnership yes but ability wise Smalling is better than both. Shawcross is around the same, but Smalling will be better for sure as Shawcross is v 1 dimensional. Cahill, Vermaelen, Jagielka, Alex and Terry are better.

Johnson's defensive vulnerability is overplayed. Few goals come down Liverpool's right - most this season have come from our left-back position [edit: in fairness, those have dried up since Konchesky got bombed out of the squad] and have done for a couple of seasons now (from open play).

Currently, I'd say there's not much to choose between Smalling, Wilson (Scottish young player of the year last season) and Ayala (who's impressed both at Liverpool and more recently at Hull). Kelly's a bit further ahead, but then so's Johnny Evans.

Smalling's probably going to be a better player than Wilson and Ayala will develop into if I'm honest, but at the moment he's still got to develop into that player. That's purely because he's got the technical ability and the physical attributes in combination. Wilson's got a lot of filling out to do, and Ayala will never have the pace of Smalling. But then Smalling's positional sense is nowhere near good enough yet - that'll improve with yet more experience you'd hope.
as long as vidic/ferdinand is at the club, he will get there. kelly is a great talent, think both players have very bright futures.

In fairness i cant remember the last time you had a good left back (maybe Riise?)