True Man Utd Fan

Lol lol lol jonny Evans is a joke. I went to molineux to see united lost at wolves he was taken off about 60 minutes he was totally bullied and pushed about my Kevin Doyle who is no drogba in the strength department. I also remember Carlton cole giving him the run around in the carling cup. Smalling and brown should be ahead of him at OT.
Doyle is one of the best strikers in the league. Im not even joking.
Evans is better than Smalling imo

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

Ciaran Clark????? mistake surely, Dann and Johnson as a partnership yes but ability wise Smalling is better than both. Shawcross is around the same, but Smalling will be better for sure as Shawcross is v 1 dimensional. Cahill, Vermaelen, Jagielka, Alex and Terry are better.
Have you seen Clarke this season?

let time arrive, then say whether he's good or not.

as long as vidic/ferdinand is at the club, he will get there. kelly is a great talent, think both players have very bright futures.

In fairness i cant remember the last time you had a good left back (maybe Riise?)

You'd hope so. Ferdinand's getting a lot of injections to try and 'manage' whatever his back problem is, isn't he? Does make you wonder just how long he'll be able to continue. One thing I do like about Smalling is that he isn't afraid to carry the ball out of defence. Know your manager isn't a huge fan of that most of the time, but if Smalling learns to continue on and pull the defence onto him, then he's going to be quite some player. But his main priority has got to be learning where he's meant to be - on Sunday, it wasn't his 'fault', if you know what I mean, but either the occasion got to him in a huge way or there's some fundamental issues in his game which need to be addressed. Not least on where he should be as the covering centreback.

Our leftback situation is a disgrace. Aurelio is a super player, but he should never have been given a 2 year contract. Insua wasn't too bad early part of last season, but he tired badly towards the end of the season - not surprising for a kid though. But meh. Kelly was holding down the rightback spot because he was performing there. Very encouraging. He's a huge lad as well. Looks like good things for him in the future.

I dont think any sane United fan will say Smalling is among the best CBs in the league. All they can say is he is among the best prospects in the league. Few seasons back everyone rated Evans top prospect and many wanted him to replace Rio this season. Now many dont rate Evans any more as soon as he as hit a rough patch and having confidence crisis.

As of now he is an exciting prospect. Still long way to go to name among one of the best in the league. Talent is there, hope he lears the trade from Rio..

Doyle is one of the best strikers in the league. Im not even joking.
Evans is better than Smalling imo

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

No Doyle works hard for the team but he's not one of the best strikers in the league but hey that's a whole different debate ;).

As for Evans being better than smalling, no chance. Its funny how smalling is now uniteds 3rd choice CB behind rio and vidic and Evans isn't even 4th choice at the moment. as brown is. He had good potential but he's had 2 shocking seasons now he isn't strong enough for united

I see. So there goes Messi, seeing as five years ago he was a teenager of considerable talent but definitely not world class, not to mention being relatively unproven on many a stage.

True, but he also made 6 Champions League appearances, scored a goal, and assisted once, in 2005\06 season. Even though he was 3 years younger than Smalling now.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Yeah. He's been outstanding, even scored a few vital goals.

Smalling is ok. I have only seen him on the TV though, MoTD and United games, so I suppose I can't hugely comment on his positional sense and stuff like that, but from what I have seen, he seems to have good composure on the ball, and is a fairly reliable one on one defender.

However, I don't think he would warrant a place in the top 15 CB's of the PL, maybe in the future though.

Currently, I'd say there's not much to choose between Smalling, Wilson (Scottish young player of the year last season).

He was young player of the year, but also terribly over-hyped. He is a great talent and had 5 or 6 good games, but he only played 14 so i don't think he deserved it.

In short, Smalling isn't one of the best in the EPL. One of the better younger centre backs, yes.

Long version:

Better Premier League CBs

~ = Borderline

Arsenal
Vermaelen
Djourou
Koscielny

Villa
Dunne
Collins
Cueller

Birmingham
Johnson

Blackburn
Samba ~
Givet ~
Nelsen

Blackpool
None

Bolton
Cahill
Knight ~

Chelsea
Terry
Alex
Ivanovic
Luiz

Everton
Jagielka
Heitinga
Distin ~

Fulham
Hangeland

Liverpool
Carragher
Agger
Skrtel
Kyrgiakos ~

City
Kompany
Toure
Lescott
Richards

United
Vidic
Ferdinand

Newcastle
Coloccini

Stoke
Shawcross
Huth

Sunderland
Onouha
Mensah ~
Turner ~

Tottenham
King
Gallas
Bassong
Dawson
Corluka

West Brom
None

West Ham
Upson ~

Wigan
None

Wolves
Berra ~

No vermealen? I'd say hes easily up there but then again I'm biased.
I think hes extremely over rated and not great defensively. i would maybe put him in there but only just. Imo Vidic and Kompany are the 2 best cbs in the league.

He was young player of the year, but also terribly over-hyped. He is a great talent and had 5 or 6 good games, but he only played 14 so i don't think he deserved it.

I can understand that view. But then the thread is about yet another overhyped young player. We build these lads up and then knock them down when they don't meet our crazy standards of being a generational talent and the next 'X', 'Y' or 'Z'. Providing he doesn't go off the rails, I can see Wilson being a fixture in the Liverpool side within the next three years. Just as I'd imagine Smalling will be for the Mancs.

as long as vidic/ferdinand is at the club, he will get there. kelly is a great talent, think both players have very bright futures.

In fairness i cant remember the last time you had a good left back (maybe Riise?)

Indeed, Riise in his early years (pre-2006/7), Insua was thrown in at the deep end, Aurelio's great, but injured so much.
Anyhoo, yeah, looks good, but too early to tell. Imagine him playing a lot though due to Ferdinand's injuries.

/rant
I don't understand the point of this thread. If you just wanna make fun of your friend then it's not worth a a thread. If you wanna open a thread so everyone can talk about how Smalling isn't there yet then your OP is too horrible for it.

So should I open another thread next time when one of my Liverpool mates tells me that Kelly is better than Maicon/Alves or that Suarez is the best striker in the world? Or when my Villa mate tells me that Bannan is better than Scholes?

And what's wrong with having Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Rooney and Nani in the Top EPL team?

/rantover

On topic - I think Smalling is good but he still have a lot to do to be the best.