Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

11.29pm GMT: This is more chilling news from Kyodo:
The cooling system failed at three reactors of the quake-hit Fukushima No 2 [Daini] nuclear power plant Saturday, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co said.
The company, which has already scrambled to deal with radiation leaks at its Fukushima [Daiichi] No 1 plant, notified the industry ministry that the failsafe system at the No 2 plant stopped functioning as the temperature of coolant water has topped 100C.
So much for the "failsafe system", which appears to have failed.

So (and I'm not trying to scaremonger here btw), there's still a chance for it to into meltdown?

I'd still have to put it as highly unlikely.

I'm sure they already have some of the most brilliant minds throughout the world there working on the solution.

So (and I'm not trying to scaremonger here btw), there's still a chance for it to into meltdown?

It's possible, yes. I think the bigger worry for them is any highly unstable isotopes escaping.

I'm still in awe of the power of the tsunami in the video. Truly breathtaking.

I'm still in awe of the power of the tsunami in the video. Truly breathtaking.
I couldnt believe it personally, nothing stopped it. Water is the most powerful weapon on earth.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't nuclear power stations a not very good idea in earthquake prone places to start off with?

My sixth-form tutor is head of Geography at our school and the Geography department tend to act overly harmonious towards natural disasters and are "fascinated" by them rather than sorry for the people.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't nuclear power stations a not very good idea in earthquake prone places to start off with?

They put them through strict safety inspections, if you look the structure is still perfectly in tact which is credit to the engineer's. The problem is that the coolant system has broken down, which is supposed to be the protection against the earthquake.

Indeed, the coolant system was broken before the quake, so it's kinda their own fault.

Where does it say that?

2006: Three to four new power supply cars have arrived at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant in north-eastern Japan to provide emergency electricity for the earthquake-damaged cooling system of one reactor, the World Nuclear Association has said. The power cars are being prepared for connection, the WNA said, citing the Japanese ministry of economy, trade and industry. Other power modules are being flown in.

2009: The World Nuclear Association said pressure inside the containment of Reactor 1 at Fukushima-Daichi had been steadily increasing over the time that its emergency core cooling systems had not been active. The Tokyo Electric Power Company reported at 0200 local time (1700 GMT) that pressure had increased beyond reference levels, but was within engineered limits, the WNA added.

Perhaps i read your previous psot wrong, but in any case i take that to mean that they haven't been maintaining their reactor correctly/safely enough even if it meets industry guidelines.

The California Governor declares state of emergency in four counties due to the tsunami damage

didn't notice that. four counties?!

Perhaps i read your previous psot wrong, but in any case i take that to mean that they haven't been maintaining their reactor correctly/safely enough even if it meets industry guidelines.

I heard that the system was cut off from the grid power which is why it hasn't worked all day, and then the back-up diesel generator's failed to work for whatever reason.

0050: Reaction to events at two nuclear power plants 250km (160 miles) north east of Tokyo, where states of emergencies have been declared. Environmental group Greenpeace tells the AFP news agency "Japan is in the middle of a nuclear crisis with potentially devastating consequences". Campaigner Jan Beranek adds: "While the immediate focus is on minimising radiation release and keeping local people safe, this is yet another reminder of the inherent risks of nuclear power."

Nuclear power may be risky, but its a **** of a lot better than fossil fuels. Nuclear power, or accelaration of global warming....i'll stick with nuclear power

Nuclear Power isn't even as risky as some campaigners make it out to be. Chernobyl happened because it was poorly managed with poor safety measures. The safety measures that go into western plants are phenomenal, for instance you would be exposed to less radiation working at a nuclear power station than you would in just a normal environment.

Offshore wind farms ftw!

Welcome to the East of England. The UK's future power hub. :)

Anyway back to Japan, i find it highly unlikely that a full blown meltdown will occur now, they have been aware of, and working on the problems for hours now, giving fairly regular updates on the situation. If it were to go **** up, it would have happened by now, they may have to vent some gas, hopefully stuff with a short half life, but if they have to do it, they have to do it.