UCL Arsenal V Braga Match Thread

Winners ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In my opinion he was solid at the back tonight and always offered something going forward. My praise for him was more what I have seen over the last few weeks.

On another note how do you think Arsene will play when RVP gets back will we go two up top or will Chamakh drop to bench?

In my opinion he was solid at the back tonight and always offered something going forward. My praise for him was more what I have seen over the last few weeks.

On another note how do you think Arsene will play when RVP gets back will we go two up top or will Chamakh drop to bench?

Hopefully RVP will be thrown on the bench as he's never fit and if he starts on his first game back he will come off after 20 minutes injured again XD

probably the most dominant Arsenal performance I've seen in a while. (No the blackpool game doesn't count)Whoever said Cesc looked like he didn't care-you don't have a game like that no matter who the opposition is if you don't care. Arsenal looks so much better with Chamakh instead of RVP up front IMO. A much more physical presence, very impressed with him so far.

Agree Wilshere doesn't play in the same position as Ramsey, Ramsey plays slightly deeper, but obviously when it comes to a 'young prospect' you can't fit them all in the team/bench! We've obviously got a world class midfield, but we really do need to get back to performing well against the top sides (as we've usually had a strong record against them beyond perhaps the last two seasons). Sunderland won't be a very stern test, but for an away game with a coach who likes to organise his team it'll be a sharp climb-down from the 6-0. If we win it I'll be more than happy though, but in previous years I've learnt to be wary of "a good bet for 3 points" as an Arsenal fan ;)

And yes, if we get RVP back, I'll be sorry to lose Chamakh to the bench as he looks brilliant. I support Barca so obviously I love watching keep-ball, so seeing how Chamakh drops deep and creates space for the inside forwards is wonderful stuff. As much as I love RVP's wonder strikes of course, he doesn't have the same physicality to hold the ball which is invaluable. Obviously this is early days and I'll make a proper judgement when Chamakh has played half a season, ideally we could play both but I don't see it working given the quality of the midfield.

Last edited:
Great performance, enjoyed it. Wouldnt mind seeing Arsenal win it this year.

first game for the portuguese side, wasnt expecting this at all, nontheless, I hope that Braga can go through

Could none of you Arsenal fans get a ticket for the game?

Ihad one waiting actually, but I really didn't feel like going. Still recovering from illness.

I was very pleased with Arsenal, though I admit I only watched the highlights, it gave me pleasure when I noticed that Braga didn't have a single highlight clip shown.

Fabregas was an absolute beast today, shows how vital he is to our team, and how lost we're going to be when we lose him. Tragic.

I had predicted a 4-0 win, my dad 3-0. After the first half I wasn't at all surprised at the final score.

Wilshere had a great game today, so too did Fabregas. Glad all that speculation hasn't gone to his head, still an amazing player that we need to keep. Vela got a nice couple of goals to round up the match to prove that he's still improving. Keep it coming and prove it in the league Arsenal.

I had predicted a 4-0 win, my dad 3-0. After the first half I wasn't at all surprised at the final score.

Wilshere had a great game today, so too did Fabregas. Glad all that speculation hasn't gone to his head, still an amazing player that we need to keep. Vela got a nice couple of goals to round up the match to prove that he's still improving. Keep it coming and prove it in the league Arsenal.
it was weird how they just didnt bother marking fab...who then utterly destroyed them, and when they did it was too late, and they then couldnt deal with wilsheres movement

it was weird how they just didnt bother marking fab...who then utterly destroyed them, and when they did it was too late, and they then couldnt deal with wilsheres movement

'In their defence' it was their first game, and it was against arsenal, not the best way to start Champions League football

'In their defence' it was their first game, and it was against arsenal, not the best way to start Champions League football

But surely, in the dressing room, or even when the draw was made, they thought 'Oh Fabregas plays for Arsenal, we need to keep him quiet all game'; why didn't they? He was clearly going to be the main threat all night and proved it.

Glad Wilshere's loan paid off last season, and he's learning well from Cesc. I had doubt whether he would become the great player he's supposed be last year but I firmly believe he can be up there in a few seasons. Great intelligent and skilful flick for Chamakh's goal which he took well fair play to him.

Many positives from the match. Had a darts match when the footy was on so was a bit distracted but managed to catch all the goals :)

But surely, in the dressing room, or even when the draw was made, they thought 'Oh Fabregas plays for Arsenal, we need to keep him quiet all game'; why didn't they? He was clearly going to be the main threat all night and proved it.

Glad Wilshere's loan paid off last season, and he's learning well from Cesc. I had doubt whether he would become the great player he's supposed be last year but I firmly believe he can be up there in a few seasons. Great intelligent and skilful flick for Chamakh's goal which he took well fair play to him.

Many positives from the match. Had a darts match when the footy was on so was a bit distracted but managed to catch all the goals :)
wilshere benefitted massively from bolton, both in playing time and in his physical game. wilshere is like the perfect blend of english aggression, drive, and fitness, combined with continental technique and flair

Agree Wilshere doesn't play in the same position as Ramsey, Ramsey plays slightly deeper, but obviously when it comes to a 'young prospect' you can't fit them all in the team/bench! We've obviously got a world class midfield, but we really do need to get back to performing well against the top sides (as we've usually had a strong record against them beyond perhaps the last two seasons). Sunderland won't be a very stern test, but for an away game with a coach who likes to organise his team it'll be a sharp climb-down from the 6-0. If we win it I'll be more than happy though, but in previous years I've learnt to be wary of "a good bet for 3 points" as an Arsenal fan ;)

And yes, if we get RVP back, I'll be sorry to lose Chamakh to the bench as he looks brilliant. I support Barca so obviously I love watching keep-ball, so seeing how Chamakh drops deep and creates space for the inside forwards is wonderful stuff. As much as I love RVP's wonder strikes of course, he doesn't have the same physicality to hold the ball which is invaluable. Obviously this is early days and I'll make a proper judgement when Chamakh has played half a season, ideally we could play both but I don't see it working given the quality of the midfield.

Well, what i meant was that Ramsey plays a little deeper than Fabregas, (and usually instead of Fabregas, they wouldn't really work together) as the primary playmaker, but still ahead of the rest of the midfield... Wilshere is given a little more freedom than Diaby, though this can be a little costly at times because he surges forward and doesn't cover the flanks, which Diaby does, or is meant to do. Either way, he plays Diaby's position, would love to see Ramsey and Wilshere playing together.

RVP does exactly that... That's precisely how Walcott scored against Blackburn, and why he got so many assists last season (When he actually played :S) Chamakh is a different player, he's able to release the ball early, and make a run, or hold it up for one of the midfielders, last night he did exactly this for his goal when Wilshere ran outside of him then produced a marvellous (if accidental) backflick type thing and Chamakh's finish was brilliant. But it showed for Fabregas' second goal (The header) that we are more willing to cross the ball into the box, RVP can head, he just doesn't like to, and we did it occasionally for Bendtner but nowhere near enough. (We saw the result of putting the ball into the box against Stoke) IMO Chamakh is a great signing, similar to Wilshere, he is the perfect mix of physical strength, and pace as well as trickery, he's really gelling quickly and could easily have more than 3 goals in 5 games if Gilks/Bogdan hadn't been in such good form.

Ihad one waiting actually, but I really didn't feel like going. Still recovering from illness.

I was very pleased with Arsenal, though I admit I only watched the highlights, it gave me pleasure when I noticed that Braga didn't have a single highlight clip shown.

Fabregas was an absolute beast today, shows how vital he is to our team, and how lost we're going to be when we lose him. Tragic.

Braga actually had more posession for about 20 minutes of the first half, i was getting a little worried. They kept pressing and creating chances, they perhaps would've scored if they pushed more players forward, but with the pace in Arsenal's team that's always risky if it's only 1-0... Didn't really understand why ITV highlights showed only Arsenal posession, i was at the game and honestly felt that although we played well going forward we were shaky at the back occasionally, and as said, Clichy tried to do kickups in the box at one point. Having said that, it was literally 20/25 minutes, and after we scored again, twice...

Could none of you Arsenal fans get a ticket for the game?

I did :D Birthday present for ma 18th