'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story

Danarouso

Reaction score
Hi everyone and welcome to my first story. I am new to this kind of forum stuff for making stories so please bear with me, I may make some mistakes.

GRIMSBY TOWN APPOINT CROWTHER

gtfc.gif
It has been an eventful few weeks for Grimsby Town Football Club following Rob Scott's departure for the club for 'personal' reasons. After this transpired, today the mariners board appointed unknown Dan Crowther as the clubs manager. Some of the club's fans have met this with optimism whilst others have met it with dire uncertainty and worry of the club's future.

However, Paul Hurst had this to say at the managerial press conference following stepping down to assistant to Crowther: "I know all of the fans will be worried that a virtually-unknown manager has been appointed manager of town but I assure you, sooner or later the negative fans will wish they never doubted this appointment, nuff said!"

Crowther in brief said: "As Paul stated, not many people have heard of me but soon that will change, I HOPE! (Crowther saying this jokingly.) The club have suffered for 10 years now from their sad demise from the championship to the conference but I am now here to stop the rot and i am adamanet to do so. I want the fans to remember this: 'Good things come to those who wait'.. now hopefully we won't be waiting long (Crowther says this jokingly.)"

Club information:

View attachment 289417

Key players:

• Greg Fleming - Goalkeeper
  • Simon Ford - Central Defender
  • Derek Niven - Central Midfielder
  • Liam Hearn - Striker
Please leave your thoughts below guys, thank you!

Last edited:
Avid Grimsby Town supporter hope you get this kicking. Following with great support.

Avid Grimsby Town supporter hope you get this kicking. Following with great support.

Thanks alot mate, i am a Leeds fan living in Hull but seeing as Grimsby is only 50 minutes away I've always gone to matches since the l2 days, should be down at Blundell Park for the Wrexham game UTM

Thanks alot mate, i am a Leeds fan living in Hull but seeing as Grimsby is only 50 minutes away I've always gone to matches since the l2 days, should be down at Blundell Park for the Wrexham game UTM

Well If you let me know mate i'll buy you a pint before the game for being a gent haha! Both of the keepers on FM I would say are both very good for the BSP. Niven is the best on paper but his passing for a central-midfielder is woeful haha!

TRANSFER AND FRIENDLY RESULTS

Friendlies:

Grimsby Town 2-0 Grimsby Reserves
Gainsborough 0-2 Grimsby Town
Grimsby 1-1 Wigan Reserves
Barwell 1-1 Grimsby Town
Grimsby 2-2 Crystal Palace
Grimsby 0-2 Charlton
note: all matches were taken control of by assistant manager

THOUGHTS: A mixed bag, mostly positive.. the games have got the match-fitness up which is pivotal to the upcoming campaign. I was especially pleased with the Palace result!

TRANSFERS:

View attachment 289443View attachment 289444

Transfer thought: We needed at least 2 satisfactory wingers, pleased i've got these lads but I don't feel they are the final package. O'Brien is fast and still has alot to prove in the world of football whilst Fanimo also has a chance to get some experience with us to impress the hammers with his potential. I believe these two will be the only signings as our budget is very tight.

Well If you let me know mate i'll buy you a pint before the game for being a gent haha! Both of the keepers on FM I would say are both very good for the BSP. Niven is the best on paper but his passing for a central-midfielder is woeful haha!
Haha and I agree! I feel Aswad Thomas is under-rated on the game also. He is quality IRL!

AUGUST UPDATE

SOUTHPORT 1-0 GRIMSBY
First game in charge and what a disappointment! Both teams were poor but were did dominate posession.. a late McKeown mistake denied us a point at Haig Avenue and left us pondering what could have been! (Att: 1,990)

GRIMSBY 4-2 STOCKPORT First home game in charge and a slightly better performance despite being defensively torrid. Fanimo scored an absolute wonder goal aswell on his debut which was remarkably memorable (Scorers: Famino, Disley, Hearn X2) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 3,708)

GRIMSBY 4-2 NUNEATONHearn flourished once again, scoring a well-earned hattrick otherwise this game could have been quite different due to poor defending which needs to be addressed! (Scorers: Pond, Hearn X3) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 3,703)

WREXHAM 2-0 GRIMSBY​ Poor performance all round really, never really got going.. mentality also wasn't right. Hope this doesn't occur regularly on away days! (Att: 4,549)

GRIMSBY 0-3 MANSFIELD Bad start to finish, once again like the Wrexham game never got going and everyone was pretty much poor. On a hindsight view though, we had 2 matches in the space of 3 days therefore fitness was low and everyone was still dwelling on the Wrexham result. (Att: 3,264)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH (GTFC)

View attachment 289499

Liam Hearn

Hearn was brilliant this month, scoring 5 goals in 5 appearances averaging a rating of 7.20. Wingers need to be alert next month to improve their service to Hearn who is an established finisher and a man who will be pivotal to a play-off push.

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 289502

Not the worst start ever, Maybe a loan signing for the full-back positions as they are very very weak there. Please take a look at my story too mate see what you think: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-manager-stories/109986-ra%FAl-gonz%E1lez-blanco-prince-madrid.html#post1648662

It's extremely unlikely until Jan, no one is really up for grabs in the loan market, think i'm going to rotate the full-backs and hope to get the best out of them. I really like your story after checking it out also mate, going to be following it :)

Not a brilliant start but one to build on buddy! Like the idea :)

SEPTEMBER UPDATE

HEREFORD 4-3 GRIMSBY TOWN

Poor first half performance in which our poor defending lead to the bulls' 4-1 lead at half time, talks in the dressing room obviously worked as we bounced back in the second half.. something to build on at least for the mariners. (Scorers: Hearn, Elding, O'Brien) (Att: 2,993)
BARROW 1-1 GRIMSBY TOWN
First draw of the season and on a hindsight we really should have won this game, Hearn missed an unbelievably good opportunity in the latter stages of the game (Scorer: Elding) (Att: 1,184) (Injury: O'Brien out for 6-7 wks)
GRIMSBY TOWN 0-1 FGR
Stats wise, we dominated the game however FGR got a lucky goal from a corner and managed to hang on in most periods of the game, frustrating seeing as the state we're in at the moment (Att: 2,392)
KIDDERMINSTER 2-2 GRIMSBY TOWN
To come back from 2-0 down is always a fantastic achievement, if we had more time we could have possibly even won the game (Scorers: Hearn, Pond) (Att: 2,037)
GRIMSBY TOWN 2-1 LUTON TOWN
Well, let's face it.. the torrid run is over and we needed this result. A spot of fortune with them scoring an own goal but Hearn's goal was a quality finish to say the least. (Scorers: Tonge O.G, Hearn) (MOTM: Thomas) (Att: 3,007)
GRIMSBY TOWN 0-1 GATESHEAD
One of them late lucky goals once again, how vigerously frustrating!! (Att: 2,143)
NEWPORT COUNTY 0-2 GRIMSBY TOWN
Thankfully, we end the month with a win and our first cleansheet/away win of the season, coming in end September. This is something to build on for next month. Up the mariners! (Scorers: Hearn X2) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 2,340)

liamhearn1.jpg

Liam Hearn
Liam has picked off from last month and his goals have now risen to 10 from this season with an average rating of 7.43.

THE TABLE

View attachment 289952

Thoughts

Not the best of months but i believe we can turn this around next month and venture into the top half of the table.. up the mariners!!

OCTOBER UPDATE

GRIMSBY TOWN 3-0 DARTFORD
Second successive win and what a win it was, the players should be proud of them self.. Apart from Aswad Thomas though who looked uninterested in most parts of the game.. (Scorers: Pond, Hearn X2) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 2,026 :()
ALFRETON 1-2 GRIMSBY TOWN
Liam Hearn ran his old club ragged but unfortunately only scored 1 goal which was a youtube-quality blunder from highly-rated Ranieri, glad I never signed him now! 3rd successive win in a row mind, i'm not moaning (Scorers: Hearn, Disley) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 1,774)
TELFORD 0-2 GRIMSBY TOWN
Left it late but Hearn runs another team ragged and extends our unbeaten/winning run. Very pleased with current progress of the squad.. may long it continue!!.. (Scorer: Hearn X2) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 2,197) (Injury: Disley - out for 4/5 weeks)
BARROW 0-1 GRIMSBY TOWN (FA CUP QUALIFYING FOURTH ROUND)
The return to Holker street was proved successful in the FA cup last qualifying round but in truth the match was stalemate and was won by a soft Liam Hearn header. Oh boy, isn't he a gem?! (Scorer: Hearn) (MOTM: Ford) (Att: 1,184)
GRIMSBY TOWN 3-1 MACCLESFIELD
Ended this fabulous month with another great win infront of our fans.. very proud of the lads since we were 1-0 down! (Scorers: Thanoj, Hearn, Pond) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 2,749)

In the FA Cup first round GTFC
will take on...
TRURO CITY at Blundell Park

NATHAN POND
(images went weird and didn't work, apologies)
Nathan consistently played well, swinging in some goals and assists along the way and fully-deserved the award.

CROWTHER WINS MANAGER OF THE MONTH

I suppose I deserve it for our fantastic month, full credit to the players though like ;)

HEARN WINS PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Liam was in rich form for us again, scoring an incredible 6 goals in 4 appearances.. well done Hearn!! UTM

LEAGUE TABLE

Superlatives for the lads this month, absolutely fantastic month and the best one i've endured so far as town manager, may the run long continue!

Hopefully John Fenty opens his pocket up for you mate. Usually a tight so and so in real life but recently he has backed us financially.

Hopefully John Fenty opens his pocket up for you mate. Usually a tight so and so in real life but recently he has backed us financially.
I know right mate, our financial state needs to be addressed atm!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
MARINERS NEWS Grimsby Telegraph special

JOE COLBECK JOINS GAINSBOROUGH TRINITY ON A THREE-MONTH LOAN DEAL

Grimsby Town winger Joe Colbeck has been sent to Blue Square North leaders Gainsborough Trinity on loan in a bid to win some match-fitness in order to break back into the Grimsby fold following falling down the pecking order in the wide midfielders unit. Grimsby boss Crowther said 'Trinity are not too far away and it'll be good for Joe to regain his confidence and match-fitness and hopefully he'll be back around January time to boost the depth in our squad in order to bolster our promotion campaign.'

GRIMSBY DRAW BOSTON AWAY IN THE FA TROPHY 1ST ROUND

Grimsby Town have drew Boston United away in the first round of the FA trophy. The Mariners will travel to York Street to face the fellow Lincolnshire side on the 24th of November. Mariners manager Crowther said this when asked about the match at a press conference: "I am looking forward to the Boston game, Bostons only an hour and fifteen minutes away so I am generally expecting a big following from our fans, a good crowd overall and a really good game." When asked about the FA trophy, Crowther said " The FA trophy isn't the most prestigious trophy in the world however it is a trophy and these fans at this club do deserve some silverware and all being well, we do have a good chance of winning it but before talking about winning it, we face a tough task at Boston very soon."

NOVEMBER UPDATE

Grimsby Town 3-1 Truro City (FA Cup first round)

Pretty good performance by the lads even though we were expected to win, they scored a truly bizarre goal from nearly their own box.. unbelievable!.. (Scorers: O'Brien, Pond, Thanoj) (MOTM: Pond) (Att: 2,310) GRIMSBY DRAW TRANMERE ROVERS AT BLUNDELL PARK IN THE FA CUP SECOND ROUND.
Hyde 1-2 Grimsby Town
Good performance from the lads, Neilson scored his first goal for the club which was a positive for him as he has been a disappointment so far in his mariners stint on loan from Crawley. (Scorers: Miller, Neilson) (MOTM: Neilson)
Grimsby Town 0-0 Woking
Disappointed that the winning run is over, but believe me we didn't deserve to get anything out of this one, credit to the defence though.. they were BRILLIANT. (MOTM: Fanimo) (Att: 3,018)
GRIMSBY TOWN 1-1 BRAINTREE Early penalty given away by Hatton which ruined the game for us mentality wise, did well to pull one back though. (Scorer: Hearn) (Att: 2,948)
BOSTON UNITED 0-2 GRIMSBY TOWN Great, brave performance from the lads as we saw the pilgrims off rather well, disappointed about the attendence though! (Scorers: Disley, Hearn) (MOTM: Pond) (Att: 1,162)
EBBSFLEET 1-0 GRIMSBY TOWN Ebbsfleet end our run but in all fairness it was an extremely poor performance from more players apart from Simon Ford who played his heart out. Well played son but the 2-month unbeaten run is over :( (MOTM: Ford) (Att: 1,244)

View attachment 290037

Simon Ford

Simon put in alot of very good performances this month and has turned his season form around if he keeps up these brilliant performances.

THOUGHTS
A fairly positive month apart from the fact of the unbeaten run ending which was a shame but still, our league standing is still very respectable

View attachment 290038 (league table)

DECEMBER UPDATE

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-3 TRANMERE ROVERS
Did good to pull an equalizer but from then on we were extremely poor and Tranmere deserved to progress. (Scorer: O'Brien) (Att: 6,649)
GATESHEAD 2-0 GRIMSBY TOWN
And the run looks like it's going to start again.. the torrid run that is. (Att: 1,366)
GRIMSBY TOWN 2-1 TAMWORTH
A lucky late winner saves us this time, all morales are at fairly poor or poor and I think we're going to struggle this month, Hope not though UTM! (Scorers: Thanoj, Wood) (Att: 2,388)
CHELMSFORD 1-6 GRIMSBY TOWN
We pretty much out-classed the blue square north minnows, I must say their keeper was unbelievably horrific (Scorers: Pearson, Hearn, O'Brien, Thanoj X2, Pearson (Greg)) (MOTM: Thanoj) (Att: 1,002)
GRIMSBY TOWN 1-4 WREXHAM
Rubbish in the second half, NUFFSAID (Scorer: O'Brien) (Att: 2,884)
LINCOLN CITY 0-3 GRIMSBY TOWN
Fantastic 3 points against the gimps, and yes you won't believe it... James Mckeown our 23 year old Scottish keeper bizarrely scored from a goal kick, wow.. incredible. (Scorers: Pond, McKeown, Hearn) (MOTM: Pond) (Att: 2,121)
MANSFIELD TOWN 0-3 GRIMSBY TOWN
Wrapping 2012 up with a 3-0 away win at the league leaders.. don't get much better than that. Spectacular performance from Pondy and the rest of the lads. Roll on 2013... (Scorers: Pond X2, Thanoj) (MOTM: Pond) (Sent off: Pearson) (Injured: Niven; out for 3-4 weeks) (Att: 3,301)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan Pond

Nathan Pond has had a fantastic month, claiming quite a few goals and assists and deserves all the praise he has got for his contributions for this month.

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 290050

Last edited: