'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story

• Thread starter Thread starter Danarouso
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 133
  • Views Views 27K
MARINERS NEWS

WEST BROM ANNOUNCED AS TOWN'S NEW PARENT CLUB

West Bromwich Albion were announced as Grimsby's new parent club earlier this morning. WBA are rumoured to be paying The Mariners 30-40k per year to help Grimsby's running costs whilst Grimsby will be sent WBA's latest youth products in order to help them gain experience.

Furthermore, the Premiership outfit WBA will play Grimsby regulary in friendlies at Blundell Park each pre-season until the partnership ends, it is likely that the Mariners will retain the gate receipts from the game.

DECEMBER UPDATE

OLDHAM ATHLETIC 3-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Poor from start to finish, can't believe we actually scored a goal in the game! (Scorer: Cook) (Att: 2,598)

GRIMSBY TOWN 4-2 BRENTFORD

We definitely showed class to upstage the league leaders, our finishing was pure excellence and it would have been 4-1 if Stephens didn't give away a late penalty. (Scorers: Craig OG, Hearn X2, Hurst OG) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 4,335)
GRIMSBY TOWN 0-0 CHELTENHAM TOWN

To describe this game i would say: Solid at the back and a bag of nerves at the front. (MOTM: Stephens) (Att: 4,401)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-0 AFC WIMBLEDON

Let me tell you a little story.. After his 30k summer move from AFC Wimbledon, Stacy Long joined the Mariners with high hopes. After a startling start after the first couple of games in August Long faced his former club at Kingsmeadow and was unfortunately injured by his former club and was put out for 3-4 months with a torn hamstring. Long then makes his return to action and pops up against his former club to score the winner.. I do love dramatic irony! (Scorer: Long) (MOTM: Oshilala) (Att: 3,903)

BARNET 0-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Poor performance overall to be truthful, but a show of class from Oshilala resulting in a classic goal sealed us 3 points against the bottom side, Barnet. (Scorer: Oshilala) (MOTM: Oshilala) (Att: 1,867)

CRAWLEY TOWN 1-0 GRIMSBY TOWN

Never really got into the game so we didn't deserve anything from this but Crawley weren't much better either. (Att: 1,802)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH (GTFC)
ADEJI OSHILALA
I signed Adeji on a free following his release from Cardiff so that he could have a career ressuregence and prove himself to the lower leagues in English football and this past month he did exactly that with some stunning performances and capped them off with a brilliant goal vs Barnet later on in the month.
LEAGUE TABLE UPDATE

View attachment 291273

Mariners News

Crowther reaffirms loyalty with Grimsby

Mariners boss Dan Crowther has confirmed that Luton Town had approached him to discuss the possibility of him taking over as first-team manager at Kenilworth Road and that he turned down the mid-table Blue Square Premier club. Crowther had this to say: 'Obviously Luton are a big club but so are my current employers..I was flattered that such a big club made the offer but I am very happy at the current progress we are making here at Grimsby and I hope it may continue.' The mariners board are said to be delighted with Crowther that he has rejected the offer from Luton Town.

NEIL ETHERIDGE JOINS MARINERS

Free-agent goalkeeper Neil Etheridge today has officially joined Grimsby Town on a free transfer. The 23-year old who has been capped by the Philippines 48 times is said to be highly ambitious and hopes that he can learn alot whilst at the mariners following his release from Fulham.

2014 HERE WE COME...

JANUARY UPDATE

GRIMSBY TOWN 5-2 MANSFIELD TOWN

We finally defeat our save-nemesis' Mansfield for the first time since a 3-0 away win at Field Mill in the conference, and to be fair these are pretty much always classics! (Scorers: Long X2, Scapuzzi, Hearn, Vincent) (MOTM: Long) (Att: 4,751)

(TRANSFER NEWS: Davide Petrucci joins the Mariners on loan from Manchester United until the end of the season)

EXETER CITY 0-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

I am ecstatic about this result, a late Stacy Long goal sealed 3 points and I thought we deserved it due to a strong all-round performance. (Scorer: Long) (MOTM: Stephens) (Att: 5,193)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-1 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE

Well, i was aiming for a 'Devon double delight' but it wasn't to be. I think we should've won this game really as Plymouth are struggling unlike their fierce rivals Exeter who are in and around the automatic spots.. But credit where credit is due, they were very resilient.. especially in midfield but our full-backs need to take more responsibility in the future for sure. (Scorer: Long) (MOTM: Ford) (Att: 4,187)

BRISTOL ROVERS 3-3 GRIMSBY TOWN

A point dropped i'm afraid, Bristol Rovers are 21st and are struggling whilst we are chasing the play-offs.. we should be winning this game.. the goals we conceded were quite simply unacceptable. (Scorers: Scapuzzi X2, Long) (MOTM: Scapuzzi) (Att: 4,100)

MATCH NEWS: ROTHERHAM V GTFC RESCHEDULED TO FEBRUARY DUE TO WATERLOGGED PITCH

STACY LONG

Stacy has been brilliant since returning from his long-term hamstring injury which kept him out for 4 months. The attacking midfielder has been pivotal in the last 1 and a half months' results and I hope this form continues until the end of the season to aid our play-off push!

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 291290

its a nice story. seeing as i just completed my season with ebbsfleet i know alot of these teams and places. that 3-1 win against macclesfield in october seems a good result. keep up the good work.

FEBRUARY UPDATE

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-1 DAG & RED

Very disappointing performance, Dag and Red are a great team though with the likes of Shaun Derry, Matt Derbyshire, Wes Fogden and Abu Ogogo.. still no excuse for a performance like how we 'performed' though. (Att: 4,620)

ROTHERHAM UNITED 1-3 GRIMSBY TOWN

A well-worked win at Rotherham has restored some faith, I even feel that we should have won by 5 or 6.. Hearn did miss a lot of chances. Still, never the less a brilliant result and one to build on.. (Scorers: Hearn X2, Madjo) (MOTM: Hearn) (Injury: Petrucci - Out for 5 to 6 weeks) (Att: 4,468)

GRIMSBY TOWN 6-0 ROCHDALE

Was this Grimsby Town 6-0 Rochdale or Juventus 6-0 Rochdale? I really don't know. Best performance since i've been at the club and Sheppard was just absolutely incredible. (Scorers: Sheppard X4, Marrow (OG), Scapuzzi) (MOTM: Sheppard) (Att: 4,788)

ACCRINGTON STANLEY 1-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Points dropped.. we had a chance to tighten a strangehold on our place in the playoffs but we blew it i'm afraid. (Scorer: Sheppard) (MOTM: Long) (Att: 1,903)

KARL SHEPPARD

Karl has played phenomenal in recent games and fully deserves this award, he was world-class against Rochdale and performed well in the draw at Accrington too.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 291293

its a nice story. seeing as i just completed my season with ebbsfleet i know alot of these teams and places. that 3-1 win against macclesfield in october seems a good result. keep up the good work.
Thanks pal, I am hopeful on a second successive promotion but we shall see. The result was very good against Macclesfield back in the Blue Square Premier I agree, they're a very threatening side and are battling it out with Fleetwood, Stockport and York for the Blue Square Premier title.. I'm sure they'll eventually get back into the FL!

How did you do with Ebbsfleet? They are a very good challenge mate, hope it went well :)

Keeeping the mariners afloat it seems, install you as the manager in real life!

Great stuff! Really enjoying this story, and it's motivating me to start my own. Though the lack of Oxford United in League 2 is a bit worrying. :P Are they in League 1? Or back in the BSP? :(

Thanks pal, I am hopeful on a second successive promotion but we shall see. The result was very good against Macclesfield back in the Blue Square Premier I agree, they're a very threatening side and are battling it out with Fleetwood, Stockport and York for the Blue Square Premier title.. I'm sure they'll eventually get back into the FL!

How did you do with Ebbsfleet? They are a very good challenge mate, hope it went well :)

Well i won BSP on first season after a shaky start. made some key loan signings in josh dawkin he was key player and also i signed former Northern Ireland International Michael Bryan and those two on the wings demolished the BSP and provided many assists and goals. My Strikers were Pericard and Appiah (on loan from Crystal Palace). The Key though was my defensive partnership of Paul Lorraine and Patrick Ada. Ada won Player of the season with an average rating of 7.47 and i got myself the manager of the year award. My team conceded the least goals in the BSP. Promotion was secured, the club chiefs decided upon building a new stadium which has really shaken up my finances and put me in a vulnerable position for my League 2 season. 9m the stadium is costing with a 3m grant from the local authorities so my club value is now 1.2m (6m debt). Considering when i took over the clubs value stood at 250k. I might add that once i secured promotion the club decided to go "professional" so i am in the process of renewing contracts to full time. My Wage Budget is lower then last season and i have no transfer kitty. I offloaded Preston Edwards for 2k and his 450pw wage along with Enver-Marum with his 625pw wage, offloading these only got me 240pw under my wage so i had to loan out a few and bring a few loans in myself. I too loaned in Scapuzzi and he started brightly scoring in the first 2 games before injury struck and he hasnt featured since. i picked up diego poyet (charlton), adam coombes (chelsea) and alex marrow (crystal palace) on loan for the season along with scapuzzi (man city). its the 29th of september and im currently sitting nicely in 6th on 16 points after 10 games and have had victories against scunthorpe and portsmouth who are higher above on the table along with a surprise victory over league 1 team wycombe in the JPT.

... Im following your story with great intrigue as i too am on a journey similar to yourself albeit with ebbsfleet.

Great stuff! Really enjoying this story, and it's motivating me to start my own. Though the lack of Oxford United in League 2 is a bit worrying. :P Are they in League 1? Or back in the BSP? :(

Currently 19th in league 1! :)

Well i won BSP on first season after a shaky start. made some key loan signings in josh dawkin he was key player and also i signed former Northern Ireland International Michael Bryan and those two on the wings demolished the BSP and provided many assists and goals. My Strikers were Pericard and Appiah (on loan from Crystal Palace). The Key though was my defensive partnership of Paul Lorraine and Patrick Ada. Ada won Player of the season with an average rating of 7.47 and i got myself the manager of the year award. My team conceded the least goals in the BSP. Promotion was secured, the club chiefs decided upon building a new stadium which has really shaken up my finances and put me in a vulnerable position for my League 2 season. 9m the stadium is costing with a 3m grant from the local authorities so my club value is now 1.2m (6m debt). Considering when i took over the clubs value stood at 250k. I might add that once i secured promotion the club decided to go "professional" so i am in the process of renewing contracts to full time. My Wage Budget is lower then last season and i have no transfer kitty. I offloaded Preston Edwards for 2k and his 450pw wage along with Enver-Marum with his 625pw wage, offloading these only got me 240pw under my wage so i had to loan out a few and bring a few loans in myself. I too loaned in Scapuzzi and he started brightly scoring in the first 2 games before injury struck and he hasnt featured since. i picked up diego poyet (charlton), adam coombes (chelsea) and alex marrow (crystal palace) on loan for the season along with scapuzzi (man city). its the 29th of september and im currently sitting nicely in 6th on 16 points after 10 games and have had victories against scunthorpe and portsmouth who are higher above on the table along with a surprise victory over league 1 team wycombe in the JPT.

... Im following your story with great intrigue as i too am on a journey similar to yourself albeit with ebbsfleet.

Well done on promotion, amazing feat considering Ebbsfleet should be struggling.. well done :) And it is 50/50 on the stadium.. how much will it hold? If it holds over the 10K+ Capacity and with decent ticket prices you should gain some more money in gate receipts which will be brilliant for the club.. gate receipts have been pivotal in keeping us afloat in finances.. hope you get promoted.. things are already looking promising with them fantastic results!

MARCH UPDATE

SOUTHEND UNITED 2-4 GRIMSBY TOWN

Great start to the month with us playing some very attractive football with some well-worked goals, big win also for the play-off hunt! (Scorers: Scapuzzi X2, Long, Vincent) (MOTM: Scupazzi) (Att: 4,879)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-1 GILLINGHAM

Most players was poor apart from Stephens and Hearn who were very determined to win the game for us, great crowd too (Scorer: Chorley OG) (MOTM: Stephens) (Att: 5,345)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-1 NORTHAMPTON TOWN

These draws need to stop ASAP or we will not make the play-offs. Our midfielders need to take more responsibility as our possession was far inferior to theirs (42% - 58%) Lack of having the ball has occured in the last 2 games and this needs to stop! (Scorer: Scapuzzi) (MOTM: Scapuzzi) (Att: 4,819)

PORT VALE 4-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Myrie-Williams ran us ragged today, the result was embarrassing though as Port Vale are like 20th in the league.. the unbeaten run is over and ended in style. (Att: 3,836)
BURTON ALBION 3-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

We're starting to perform terribly now and it's getting frustrating.. looks like we aren't going to make the play-offs at this rate, sorry everyone. (Att: 4,834)

(TRANSFER NEWS: Town announce the loan signing of Swansea Wales U21 central midfielder Lee Lucas until the end of the season)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-0 ALDERSHOT TOWN

Well, my 100th game in football management went well and according to plan with us winning but we could have been better, Etheridge was fantastic between the sticks and Petrucci's excellent passing and creativity skills won us the match, well done lads! (Scorer: Sheppard) (Att: 4,338)

DAVID STEPHENS

David has mostly been a rock in defence for most of our games, with some exceptional displays.. especially the last game with Aldershot Town.

UPDATE LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 291428

APRIL UPDATE

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-4 SHREWSBURY TOWN

Well this was an important game and we've been hammered so I don't think we're going to make the play-offs now, our tag of being a struggling team has finally caught up with us. (Scorer: Scapuzzi) (Att: 5,148)

WYCOMBE WANDERERS 1-2 GRIMSBY TOWN

Vital away win keeps us in contention of the final 2 play-off places and gives us hope for the last couple of games, good win. (Scorers: Scapuzzi, Long) (MOTM: Scapuzzi) (Att: 3,888)

MORECAMBE 2-0 GRIMSBY TOWN

Utterly dreadful performance.. it's like they don't want to get into the playoffs to be honest. (Att: 1,630)

BRENTFORD 1-3 GRIMSBY TOWN

We have completed the double over Brentford who have been automatically promoted after the result, very good result.. now onto the final game of the season at home against Oldham to see who will get in the playoffs out of us and Shrewsbury, this thanks to an unlikely help in Barnet who scored a last minute equalizer against them to give us a last day chance to overtake Shrewsbury and get into the play-offs. (Scorers: Hearn X2, Petrucci) (MOTM: Hearn) (Att: 6,501)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-0 OLDHAM ATHLETIC

Well our players and fans did their part, but did Cheltenham beat Shrewsbury to get us into the playoffs? (Scorers: Petrucci, Scapuzzi) (MOTM: Scapuzzi) (Att: 5,567)

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 291446

Ultimately we didn't qualify for the play-offs which was a disappointment but we didn't get relegated or finish mid-table like I predicted which was great but still, it is always disappointing to miss out on the play-offs when being so close to them!

LUCA SCAPUZZI

The Italian striker on-loan from Manchester City was sensational this month and key to most of our positive results.

MAY UPDATE

Teams coming down from League One

MK DONS
YEOVIL TOWN
TORQUAY UNITED
CREWE ALEXANDRA

Teams coming up from Blue Square Premier

FLEETWOOD TOWN
YORK CITY

IN OTHER NEWS...
MANCHESTER CITY LIFT THE PREMIERSHIP TITLE
REAL MADRID BEAT BARCELONA 3-2 IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL
SPORTING LISBON BEAT CSKA MOSCOW 1-0 IN THE EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL

JUNE UPDATE

CONTRACTS RENEWED

CLIFF BYRNE
BRADLEY WOOD

RELEASED

SAM HATTON
DEREK NIVEN
JAMES MCKEOWN
GUY MADJO
JAMES VINCENT
LIAM HEARN
NATHAN POND
ANDY COOK
ASWAD THOMAS (JOINED SLIGO ROVERS)
ANDI THANOJ
TOM CHARLESWORTH

JULY UPDATE

TRANSFERS

IN:

Sonny Bradley - Free transfer from Hull City (Central Defender)
Lee Brown - Free transfer from Bristol Rovers (Full-back at both sides)
Paul Dummett - Free transfer from Newcastle United (Left-back)
Billy Clarke - Free transfer from Crawley Town (Attacking midfielder/striker)
Matt Lecointe - Free transfer from Plymouth Argyle (Striker)
Gary Alexander - Free transfer from Crawley Town (Striker)
Matt Harrold - Free transfer from Barnet (Striker)
Jack Dunn - Loan from Liverpool (Attacking midfielder)
Lee Lucas - Loan from Swansea City (Attacking midfielder)
Elliot Lee - Loan from West Ham United (Striker)
Gines Guzman - Loan from West Ham United (Goalkeeper)

OUT:

(Contract releases from June update)
FRIENDLIES

GRIMSBY TOWN RESERVES 1-2 GRIMSBY TOWN
EVERTON 3-0 GRIMSBY TOWN
STAFFORD RANGERS 1-4 GRIMSBY TOWN
GRIMSBY TOWN 2-2 PORTSMOUTH
NORTHWOOD 2-2 GRIMSBY TOWN
GRIMSBY TOWN 0-3 WEST BROMWICH ALBION

THOUGHTS ON PRE-SEASON

Some decent signings have been made, tried not too release too many from last season - only the key performers I signed from last season were retained and others who didn't perform well enough were released and yes, Hearn was one of those.

A TRIP TO THE RIVERSIDE FOR TOWN

Grimsby Town draw Middlesbrough away at the Riverside Stadium in the first round of the capital-one cup.

AUGUST UPDATE

MIDDLESBROUGH 2-0 GRIMSBY TOWN (CAPITAL-ONE CUP FIRST ROUND)

I don't know who was worst than the other but still, Stephens put in a fantastic performance despite giving away a pass that led to their opener.. he got a 7.8 match rating for his performance. (Att: 8,147)

(CUP COMPETITION NEWS: GTFC DRAW DONCASTER ROVERS AWAY IN THE FIRST NORTHERN ROUND OF THE JPT TROPHY)

FLEETWOOD TOWN 2-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Beaten yes, but a much better performance after getting a goal back from being 2-0 down, Stephens again was fantastic! (Scorer: Long) (Att: 4,497)

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-2 PORT VALE

We never got going infront of our own fans who showed great support and that is a disgrace, we need to get our act together and quick. (Injury: Lee Lucas - Out for 2-3 weeks) (Att: 4,626)

TORQUAY UNITED 1-0 GRIMSBY TOWN

Basically all of the match apart from their goal and the last 15 seconds was simulated. (Att: 4,072)

SOUTHEND UNITED 0-2 GRIMSBY TOWN

Everyone was fantastic today from front to back and we have done really well to bounce back at Southend who have a really good team this season, but still.. first win of the season and we need to build on it for next month. (Scorers: Clarke, Lee) (MOTM: Stephens) (Att: 6,700)

David Stephens

David has picked up from where he left off last season, he has been fantastic in every game and trust me we've lost the rest apart from Southend. The rating of 7.8 against championship outfit Middlesbrough surprised/pleased me a lot.. long may these performances continue from the young Welshman!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 291565

Back