Wasted Talent

I also saw it, and Robin Friday stands out for me. Often labelled as "the greatest footballer you never saw"

266738-2.jpg

''He soon moved to Hayes, who were willing to pay him more and were closer to his home in Acton. Hayes started one match with only ten players, as Friday was finishing a pint in the local pub. When he finally took the field after ten minutes he was obviously drunk and spent the game staggering around the pitch. Naturally, the opposition ignored him, until he scored the only goal of the game.''

"Whilst playing against Mark Lawrenson for Cardiff against Brighton on the 31 October 1977, Friday became agitated by the future BBC pundit. He kicked Lawrenson in the face and received a red card before defecating in Lawrenson's kit bag"

If true, I'm liking this guy (source was a channel 4 article which is no longer on the site)

I have to say one was Antonio Cassano... the lad was literally a genius but he a rebel and who knows he could have certainly been so much better

Ooh ahh Paul Mc Grath definately.
Was a great player even tho he was drunk and worse for alot of his games.
Even still he is an alcholic and i feel sorry for him.
A true legend that didnt fill his potential

Mantorras - Currently plays for Benifca and was named the young player of the year by the Confederation of African Football in 2001. He was considered to be the best player coming out of a Portuguese Africa since Eusebio. In 2002, he suffered a knee injury and, I believe, he missed 2 years of football. He did come back but he was never the same and never fulfilled his potential.

My dad has told me about in the past when Lee bowyer was young some people were touting him as a future England star but look what happened...

Ryan Green ! :wub: Was always a decent RB for us. Anyone know how he's doing at Hereford ?

Just thought of another one, Kleberson who used to play for Man Utd, was ****** brilliant at the 2002 World Cup for Brazil, remember him smashing a belter onto the crossbar in the final, but went to Man Utd, got injured and played out of position and now he's back in Brazil, I though he could have been really world class.

Watch at 1:40
YouTube - 2002 FIFA worldcup final Brazil V Germany (highlights)

Denilson, Jermaine Pennant, Bentley, Cherno Samba

Just thought of another one, Kleberson who used to play for Man Utd, was ****** brilliant at the 2002 World Cup for Brazil, remember him smashing a belter onto the crossbar in the final, but went to Man Utd, got injured and played out of position and now he's back in Brazil, I though he could have been really world class.

Watch at 1:40
YouTube - 2002 FIFA worldcup final Brazil V Germany (highlights)
he is back on form i think, he was in the brazil world cup squad

Freddy Adu was supposed to become a world great, but he was a flop!

He is still 18 or 19, still time for him to fulfill his potential.

Patrick Kluivert. Certainly a world class player, but career was marred by injuries.

Mantorras - Currently plays for Benifca and was named the young player of the year by the Confederation of African Football in 2001. He was considered to be the best player coming out of a Portuguese Africa since Eusebio. In 2002, he suffered a knee injury and, I believe, he missed 2 years of football. He did come back but he was never the same and never fulfilled his potential.

Surpised he even returned after 2 years to tell you the truth

He is still 18 or 19, still time for him to fulfill his potential.

Patrick Kluivert. Certainly a world class player, but career was marred by injuries.

Adu is suposidly 21 but its a well known secret that he is actually older then that. When he was 13 coming through it was known that he was actully 17 so thats why he done so well at that level.

Adu is suposidly 21 but its a well known secret that he is actually older then that. When he was 13 coming through it was known that he was actully 17 so thats why he done so well at that level.

A well known secret that is actually an internet rumour.

FIFA has sanctioned the use of mobile MRI bone scanners to accurately determine the age of players. Many players were refused registration for the Nigerian U-17 team last year because they were too old, some by as much as 8 years.

I can't see a club like Benfica giving him a contract without accurately determining his age.

I would not call anyone who's career is blighted by injuries wasted, just unlucky. To me someone who was a wasted talent was someone who has thrown their career away by living a life which helped throw their career away.

But if we are classing injuries then Brian Clough was a wasted talent and so is Ledley King and so many more we could all mention.

One player that I thought had great potential was Mido but his attitude has gotten in the way of his career.

Last edited:
Fábio Paim. The start without light. he was on Sporting Lisbon, then Chelsea... but money ****** up his life. He had more potential than Cristiano Ronaldo and Thierry Henry, when CR went to Man United he said "If you think that i am good, wait to see Paim." ... where's he now? portuguese 3 division lawl :D

Last edited:
Charlie Miller is brilliant in my dad's old videos, until about 1998, then he disappears!

Anyone who has achieved anything important is not wasted, i.e Player Of The Year winners, or maybe even Premiership winners. Whereas David Bentley and Quaresma, no question there talent's haven't achieved them anything!