West Brom v Man Utd

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 231
  • Views Views 13K
Wait until Blackburn put Samba on him at a corner.

It will be horrible game to watch De Gea against Stoke Not doubting his ability, but the way they use throw in and set pieces makes me so nervous. Hopefully he will adapt by that time.

Evra made one of the worst league debut and Vidic was average, Reina was not all that good when he first joined. Have to laugh at few who compared him to some random **** like Taibi.

It will be horrible game to watch De Gea against Stoke Not doubting his ability, but the way they use throw in and set pieces makes me so nervous. Hopefully he will adapt by that time.

Evra made one of the worst league debut and Vidic was average, Reina was not all that good when he first joined. Have to laugh at few who compared him to some random **** like Taibi.

Stoke seem to have trouble imposed that kind of game on us oddly, won the last 6, all fairly comfortably

I felt we deserved a draw.Ref wasnt great today for either team but I really think he had it out for Long.Gave way too many free kicks to United against Long when he did nothing wrong.

Stoke seem to have trouble imposed that kind of game on us oddly, won the last 6, all fairly comfortably

I wouldn't say we won comfortably last season. Stoke away is really tough and if I'm not wrong even in 2009-10 we struggled to win the game. At home we just play them off the park though..

Edit: Having Vida in the team helped a lot. He just loves aerial battles..

I wouldn't say we won comfortably last season. Stoke away is really tough and if I'm not wrong even in 2009-10 we struggled to win the game. At home we just play them off the park though..

the games scorelines are close but they overall threat isnt that major, performance wise its comfortable

I felt we deserved a draw.Ref wasnt great today for either team but I really think he had it out for Long.Gave way too many free kicks to United against Long when he did nothing wrong.

pushing someone in the back isnt doing nothing wrong

Well, Chelsea had won 5 out of the last 6 IIRC yet they couldn't break them down today (Even if it was due to Begovic having a blinder) and Stoke had a few chances from throws as well. I could see De Gea failing at one of those throws. I wouldn't blame him, though - 90% of the keepers in the world never faced (and probably never will) throws like those.

pushing someone in the back isnt doing nothing wrong
Im not saying everything he did.But most things he did.Like when he backed into somone(not actually fouling him) like a normal striker would and the ref gave it as a foul.

Well, Chelsea had won 5 out of the last 6 IIRC yet they couldn't break them down today (Even if it was due to Begovic having a blinder) and Stoke had a few chances from throws as well. I could see De Gea failing at one of those throws. I wouldn't blame him, though - 90% of the keepers in the world never faced (and probably never will) throws like those.

Actually De Gea's weakness is not commanding his area, I have seen him collecting crosses with ease or getting to it, he just reacts late for shots from distance but have superb reflexes for shots from close range. Weird...

I can see him struggling at Stoke, (Well which keeper haven't) but not like many make out to be, including me.. (I was just bit pessimistic with my previous post about De Gea)..

What do everyone else think of De Gea's treatment by the West Brom players in which he was pushed and shoved unfairly and the referee offered no protection at all (awarding West Brom a corner just to encourage them to keep doing it)? I was pretty disgusted by it tbh.

Oh bore off! Too many seasons now goalkeeprs have had FAR too much protection off refs. It made a change seeing the ref not blow his whistle EVERY time the keeper goes down. Compare that to the match earlier on when Cech went down like a sack of spuds whenever he could and the ref just kept killing the game blowing up every time. If this was made consistant and fair like everyone expects refs to be then we would see an average of four penalties given each game due to players jostling and tucking at each other on every corner (Terry vs Shawcross in the earlier game is a classic example, both were guilty of 'pushing and shoving unfairly'

I agree that keepers should get some protection but the amount they get is shocking really.

Doggy performance by Utd in the end to just get the job done so well played to them. I was impressed with WBA today especially Long, i can see him scoring a few this season for them. But here we go again, luckily for De Gea his teammates (mostly Young) stopped him from being on the back pages tomorrow. First of all let me say i am not questioning the mans potential and i do believe some aspects of his game are very good indeed. But pointing out the obvious he struggles with long range strikes and every week players will just keep trying their luck from range and there are some great strikers of the ball from range in the PL. Again im not saying he is a **** keeper because that isent the case but as i said when they signed him it was a huge gamble and it would have made much more sence if they bought him in last season to work with VDS.

Find it laughable that people think players should get protection. The FA doesn't give a ****. They''re concentrating more on protecting refs (which though is the right thing, they should also crack down on some un-necessary rough handling of players from opposition players).

wut

Serious? The amount of late challenges I saw Long put in today and how he wasn't booked I have no idea. Young booked for a mistimed tackle, and Anderson booked for telling the ref De Gea was almost rugby tackled, yet Long and Morrison got away with kicks, trips and shoves all game, not to mention the amount of time Long stayed down after being lightly tripped.

Tamas' deliberate body checks, which he did on Young a few times, were cynical also.

So...Man United somehow manage to win after playing average for most of the game...and all the other 'big' clubs play better than them, but can't win...hence gifting them the top spot.......Yup, the EPL is back alright..

United were fantastic for the first 35 mins and should have been 2 or 3 nil up, it was just the mistake from De Gea that shook them up a bit. Arsenal were poor for 90 mins and look like they will really struggle this year, Liverpool weren't any better than Sunderland overall and relied on playing the long ball to Andy Carroll and Chelsea never really threatened against Stoke (Torres being the exception) also Cech was lucky a couple of times with Delap's throws. United were the only team that deserved to win their game.

United were fantastic for the first 35 mins and should have been 2 or 3 nil up, it was just the mistake from De Gea that shook them up a bit. Arsenal were poor for 90 mins and look like they will really struggle this year, Liverpool weren't any better than Sunderland overall and relied on playing the long ball to Andy Carroll and Chelsea never really threatened against Stoke (Torres being the exception) also Cech was lucky a couple of times with Delap's throws. United were the only team that deserved to win their game.

You're severely downplaying the other teams performances.

Serious? The amount of late challenges I saw Long put in today and how he wasn't booked I have no idea. Young booked for a mistimed tackle, and Anderson booked for telling the ref De Gea was almost rugby tackled, yet Long and Morrison got away with kicks, trips and shoves all game, not to mention the amount of time Long stayed down after being lightly tripped.

Tamas' deliberate body checks, which he did on Young a few times, were cynical also.
Honestly I saw bits and pieces because the stream I was watching it on had this ****** who was just being completly annoying and racist so I was putting him in his place anyway I heard the commentator say a few times that the ref was being unfair towards Long.The one thing I did see on De Gea was a fair enough.They both went up and his arm hit him but there was no intent.He wasnt even looking at where de gea was because he was focused on trying to header the ball

Find it laughable that people think players should get protection. The FA doesn't give a ****. They''re concentrating more on protecting refs (which though is the right thing, they should also crack down on some un-necessary rough handling of players from opposition players).

This is why I try to avoid typing after a night of JD. Was meant to put it as- players will always get the rough treatment from certain opposing players, as the only thing that seems to be getting concentrated on is the cheating/diving aspect, and ensuring refs get respect. Tbh, if players can get away with taking each other out, most of them will keep exploiting it, unless it's spotted on a replay of games.

Back