• Hinduism

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Budhism

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Jedi

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • Scientology

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster]Pastafarianism[/url]

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Jewish

Votes: 6 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
agnostic.

dude you should separated agnostic from atheist as they are two different things.

atheists say there is no such thing as magic sky wizards.

agnostics just dont known if theres anything up in the sky or not ;)

Thats fair enough. It just annoys me when people act like anyone who believes in god is a moron.:P

Yeah, well, anyone who throws around blankets statements like the whole "all theists are morons" or "all atheists are morons" are most definitely the intelligence deficient ones. You can tell without even knowing them.

My friends religous and he got straight a's in his a levels doing chemistry, biology, physics, maths and further maths. He didn't drop a single mark in the core 1 or core 2 maths tests.

Don't be such a ***** about religous people. It's possible to believe in god and be a intelligent rational thinker.

Well those people are not thinking about God in the same rational way they have studied for there successes.
If they anaylized the idea of God in the same way they would more than likely come to the conclusion God is imaginary.

the statement its self is hypocritical " It's possible to believe in god and be a intelligent rational thinker", isn't believing in something there is no evidence for a display of irrational thought ?

I was pointing out that in General you will get a higher percent of atheists in a group of highly intelligent people, compared to a group of average - low intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence#Studies_comparing_religious_belief_and_I.Q.

Atheist, I believe there may be a higher power .. but I'd need proof to believe it..

Atheist, I believe there may be a higher power .. but I'd need proof to believe it..

Then isn't that agnostic? I was under the impression atheist is a person that disregards the possibility altogether.

Judaism? Aren't Jews both a religious group and a race?
No, jews are not just one ethnic group, thats a common misconception. Much like all the other major religions, adherents of judaism can look like anybody so jews are not all the same in apperance and not all that share their appearance are jewish!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews#Ethnic_divisions

Well, it's definitely possible to be an INTELLIGENT theist. A rational theist only exists when regarding matters with no connection to god, in my mind.
Sure there are, sure there are smart people doing bad things all the time! If you'd look at the evidences and how many times science has debunked religion you would be nothing short of stupid for beliving in god.

Thats fair enough. It just annoys me when people act like anyone who believes in god is a moron.:P
They are, there are no supportive evidence of gods existance, in fact, there is contradicting evidence, the Old Testaments (which all major religions consider to be a book of their faith) contains alot of citations of where god is reported to be in the sky and Muhammed is said to have traveled on a mat to God in the clouds. Now clearly with modern day technology we have debunked the entire foundation of those beliefs yet people cling to them, why? Its all psychological, and humans have a need to be confirmed and acknowledged as a group. And if you have not faced the facts and evaluated them then you are an idiot for believing in something you clearly have not researched!

Then isn't that agnostic? I was under the impression atheist is a person that disregards the possibility altogether.

correct, an agnostic is unconvinced by the idea of God, but does not dismiss, so you will find most agnostics saying they do not believe in God.
Some said Atheist and Agnostic should have been different poll options, there right they are different view points.

Sure there are, sure there are smart people doing bad things all the time! If you'd look at the evidences and how many times science has debunked religion you would be nothing short of stupid for beliving in god.

Like when? Science cannot conclusively prove there is no God. I happen to believe there isn't, but I can't be sure, and I respect all the people who think there is. There is a limit to my tolerance - for example, when they try and convert me - but really, we can't prove it either way so why bother?

They are, there are no supportive evidence of gods existance, in fact, there is contradicting evidence, the Old Testaments (which all major religions consider to be a book of their faith) contains alot of citations of where god is reported to be in the sky and Muhammed is said to have traveled on a mat to God in the clouds. Now clearly with modern day technology we have debunked the entire foundation of those beliefs yet people cling to them, why? Its all psychological, and humans have a need to be confirmed and acknowledged as a group. And if you have not faced the facts and evaluated them then you are an idiot for believing in something you clearly have not researched!

Most of the Bible is metaphor. God being "in the clouds" is just a metaphor for him being everywhere, a function for allowing the simple minds of early people to understand that he was looking down on them and had power over them. Clouds, in particular, were unreachable for common man, so it enhanced the idea of power. No theist actually believes God lives up there on a big fluffy white thing, staring down at us. Also, I think your last sentence is a bit rich.

I think you need to be more tolerant. I don't believe God exists, but there is NO evidence for or against him, so why waste your time trying to disprove him?

Probably not, but it's certainly an ethnic group, which makes all the other arguments moot considering we were arguing about racism towards Jews. This is entirely possible if they are an ethnic group.

EDIT: Was pottering around the internet and came across something that sums up my views on religion perfectly.

Religion%20is%20like%20a%20penis-1328008051.jpg

Last edited:
Probably not, but it's certainly an ethnic group, which makes all the other arguments moot considering we were arguing about racism towards Jews. This is entirely possible if they are an ethnic group.

EDIT: Was pottering around the internet and came across something that sums up my views on religion perfectly.

Religion%20is%20like%20a%20penis-1328008051.jpg
*Like*

You know, I am a Christian. And I don't mind people not believing in God, and I don't mind it when they point out their reasoning behind their belief. I would hope that they would allow me to do the same. But my problem with the debating of religion is the asinine, immature ranting and raving that begins the second the discussion is brought up.

And, please don't get me wrong. Both sides of this argument are guilty of this. Atheists are just as likely to jump into "There's no proof, science has proven that god doesn't exist and you're a jackass for thinking he does." As Christians are to start on with "Enjoy burning in **** with your pagan devil worshiping gran." I find it hilarious that one side accuses the other of close-mindedness when both are showing equal ignorance.

I don't have a problem with what others believe and honestly, I don't mind others talking about it or even trying to get me to agree with them. That's all well and good, but when the insulting of intelligence and of beliefs come into it that's where I get tired of it. Go ahead and believe in God or Allah or Buddah or a Spaghetti monster. Just don't be a **** about it.

You know, I am a Christian. And I don't mind people not believing in God, and I don't mind it when they point out their reasoning behind their belief. I would hope that they would allow me to do the same. But my problem with the debating of religion is the asinine, immature ranting and raving that begins the second the discussion is brought up.

And, please don't get me wrong. Both sides of this argument are guilty of this. Atheists are just as likely to jump into "There's no proof, science has proven that god doesn't exist and you're a jackass for thinking he does." As Christians are to start on with "Enjoy burning in **** with your pagan devil worshiping gran." I find it hilarious that one side accuses the other of close-mindedness when both are showing equal ignorance.

I don't have a problem with what others believe and honestly, I don't mind others talking about it or even trying to get me to agree with them. That's all well and good, but when the insulting of intelligence and of beliefs come into it that's where I get tired of it. Go ahead and believe in God or Allah or Buddah or a Spaghetti monster. Just don't be a **** about it.

Bravissimo. My thoughts exactly, put forward by someone much more eloquent than I.

So now believing is a bad thing? Funnily enough, science has debunked older scientific theories several times too. I don't see you losing faith in science because of that. Religious practices and beliefs too change with time. When they don't, there's conflict, like there is today.

Science invented the N-bombs and so many other mass killing weapons, so should it be blamed for the havoc created by their use? Religion or science is not bad, it is the people who use them wrongly who are bad.

There are many things in this world that work on belief and faith (not of the religious variety), rather than purely logical or rational thought.

They are, there are no supportive evidence of gods existance, in fact, there is contradicting evidence, the Old Testaments (which all major religions consider to be a book of their faith) ... then you are an idiot for believing in something you clearly have not researched!

The part in bold is patently false. You didn't research that, did you? ;)

Given the fervour with which some people are preaching Atheism, they show remarkable similarity to the "true believers"!!! :S

I've had enough of all this "THE POPE IS COMING!", he's a Xenophobe, and can get away with calling Athiests things, but when we respond, it's all "No, you can't say that!"
/Sigh.

I've had enough of all this "THE POPE IS COMING!", he's a Xenophobe, and can get away with calling Athiests things, but when we respond, it's all "No, you can't say that!"
/Sigh.

Personally not heard a good thing said about the Pope coming to Britain - and i'm a Catholic.

I am an atheist but at the end of the day we can't disprove God. We can back a relgious person into a corner with scentific truth and historical truth but there is also religious and spiritual truth as well. It doesn't matter how much you think you've proved a religious person wrong, all they have to say to cause a stalemate is that they can feel a connection with God and they feel he is listening when they prey. I and many of you can say thats ***** but really we can't tell a person what they can/can not feel. if they truley feel and believe they are speaking to an almighty being then we can't say they are wrong. I think that's why religion will stay around forever. It doesn't matter how much scientific truth we create there is still always religious and spritual truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back