What Tactic Suits My Team?

Hey everyone, I recently started my first campaign and started out as the Leeds Utd manager.

Everything is going well for me, but I just cant settle on a set formation and a starting 11.

I currently play a standard 4-4-2 slightly attacking formation and change my defensive line from 'deep' to 'push up' depending on the speed of my oppositions attack.

My starting 11 is:

GK - Casper Ankergren

DF - Jean-Joel Perrier-Doumbe / Lubomir Michalik / Paul Huntington / Alan Sheehan

MF - Bradley Johnson / Neil Kilkenny / Fabien Delph / Andy Robinson

FW - Jermaine Beckford / Luciano Beckford

---------

I still have all the original Leeds players plus I have signed Chris Killen (who just cannot score) and Miguel Rebioso.

I prefer to play a more attacking game to defensive but my team never look convincing in-front of goal and I tend to win by the odd goal (lots of 1-0's and 2-1's).

My midfield is often rotated (maybe a little too much too) and I cant settle with my best defence as Fabian Delph always seems to put in great performances, but my assistant says Jonny Howson should be the first member of the team on the team sheet. Robert Snodgrass, David Prutton and Jonathan Douglas also often get played when I feel neccessary too, and they never let me down.

Others players that are often rotated are Frazer Richardson, Miguel Reboiso, Ben Parker and Rui Marquez

Thanks!

P.S ~ I will get a screenshot if you want.

Last edited:
I'm Liverpool and have just ended first season. Though I generally win most games, any team that plays a direct style tends to cause me problems.... Any Ideas? (Usual first 11 below)

Gk: Reina
Defenders: Arbeloa, Carragher & Dossena (Aurelio, Degen, Agger, Skrtel & Hyypia reserves)
Midfielders: Mascherano & Lucas holding with Alonso in Centre and Gerrard, Riera & Kuyt Attacking (Fiore, Benayoun, Plessis, Babel, Novo & El Zhar reserves)
Attackers: Torres (Ronaldo & Ngog reserves, but expecting to sign Owen & Balotelli in transfer window)

Cheers.:)

i started a game with arsenal and have the original team and nly brouhgt in youngsters wat tactic wud u recomend 4 arsenal

Anyone able to help me with Arsenal i play a 4-4-2, i bought Veloso but cant win away from home and sit 8th 16 points behind Man U???

Thought i'd try something new and start as Crystal Palace.
Bought and loaned a few players, couldn't get many as palace have no money at start as in middle of takeover.

Attached printscreen of team.
Can anyone help with a tactic, i prefer using 4-4-2.

I'm Liverpool and have just ended first season. Though I generally win most games, any team that plays a direct style tends to cause me problems.... Any Ideas? (Usual first 11 below)

Gk: Reina
Defenders: Arbeloa, Carragher & Dossena (Aurelio, Degen, Agger, Skrtel & Hyypia reserves)
Midfielders: Mascherano & Lucas holding with Alonso in Centre and Gerrard, Riera & Kuyt Attacking (Fiore, Benayoun, Plessis, Babel, Novo & El Zhar reserves)
Attackers: Torres (Ronaldo & Ngog reserves, but expecting to sign Owen & Balotelli in transfer window)

Cheers.:)

I'm guessing your back 3 is only Carra in the centre with Arby and Doss out wide? If so, try giving Mash a really defensive setting for a DMC to help Carra out more, or switch to a flat back 4 because that's what you'll end up with anyways if Mash is being pulled that far back. Why not play a ball-carrying DC to make up the difference in midfield?

anyone got any help for arsenal or port vale. now i got the squads they start with basically and whatever i try games either end 0-0 or i lose

help!!why my staff automatycally renewal contracts??whwer i must go to do that i renewal contracts for staff??

Just had an awesome pre-season with Forest,

Not had my 1st game in the league yet, but will do after work tonight.

Anyone ever had a really good season playing the same way they did in their friendleies or should I change it??

Newly promoted to Premiership, with an Ipswich side that are decent for Championship. Used an attacking 4-1-4-1 team, only bought Damien Delaney 2.4m, Vuckic 1.2m,Bouzanis 0.425m and Salamon 1.3m. Had Volz, Fabio and Eckersley on loan (fee combined 750k), so no superstars or money to spend. I predicted play-off place for extra wage budget.
I've played a couple of pre-season friendlies against good teams and my lads are useless, I need to avoid relegation and find a formation and tactic to suit me at this higher level. My squad is:
GK:Bouzanis,Supple,Wright
DL: D:Delaney,Thatcher,Harding(wb),Richards(wb)
DC:Balkenstein,Bruce,Naylor
DR:McAuley,Wright
MC:Campo,ShumulikoskiGarvan,Miller,Trotter,Norris,Salamon
M/AML:Quinn,Peters,Ainsley
M/AMR:Haynes,Walters
ST/F:Counago,Stead,Vuckic,Lisbie,Kadlec(new signing 375k)

Trying to offload maybe 4/5 average players but will only get £7mill at most. Any ideas that can help would be much appreciated!

Renewing my original post, have played a few pre-season friendlies with average results:
I assume I'll need a defensive system as I don't have the stikers to terrorize a decent Premiership defence, maybe a tight 4-2-3-1 system. Any advice will be appreciated!!!

Could someone recommend a tactic for celtic please?

Dave123 said he had some success using my Benitez 4-4-2 in the league and Lee's Liverpool tactics (4-1-3-2) in Europe. They both use the same mentality system and so decent players should be able to switch between them easily.

-----

For those who wanted some Arsenal tactics, there is a set of Role Theory tactics for 4-4-2 in the download section which I've done. They aren't tested by me, and they will need tinkering with although they should be sound for very high technical level teams. But they might help you on your way.

View attachment 3435

This is my current team and formation. I'm really strong at home and haven't lost all season , but away i lose continusly.

help please

View attachment 3435

This is my current team and formation. I'm really strong at home and haven't lost all season , but away i lose continusly.

help please

Make the tactic a little less attacking for when you play away from home. Not sure about the forward run for your keeper to be honest - never seen that before :D You might want to take off a striker to make a 4-1-4-1 and play counterattacking football - having fewer forward runs by players would also help you defensively.

Make the tactic a little less attacking for when you play away from home. Not sure about the forward run for your keeper to be honest - never seen that before :D You might want to take off a striker to make a 4-1-4-1 and play counterattacking football - having fewer forward runs by players would also help you defensively.

Ok thanks

And my keeper situation is for the one on ones - he comes rather than staying on his line , and in this league not many players can finish all too well:)

And i recently just played that same formation and tactics 3 times against top 8 teams away from home and i won :mad:.. I'm starting to think its just the patheticness and inconsistancy of my league 2 side :D!

Thanks for the advice

Cheers for explaining the keeper Lew. Never thought of it like that. Sweeper keeping in practice in the lower leagues :)

You get better performances against the 'better' teams because they are coming out to attack you and you're obviously matching them. The problem will be against teams that will defend against you, your players will not be able to get through and then they'll get frustrated and then the opposition kills you on the counter. Less attacking but more control over the match is the plan against them.

Last edited: