What to do if you just can't win

If anything, things are going better for me since the most recent update. Before the update, had dodgy performances in friendlies and league, silly mistakes. But just played Hull won 3-2, beat Crystal Palace and Barnsley 1-0 and am currently sitting top of the NPower Championship, and the only friendly I lost was a 1-0 against Valencia via pen. And only 4 of my 1st team players have a rating below 7.00 and the lowest being 6.80. But more importantly I resisted the temptation to change the formation, remained patient and now things are gelling perfectly.

Same on a 15 match unbeaten run with spurs dembele is a monster from midfield much better since the patch

Eh, I am playing FMC. FMC shouldn't be a game for dummies. If for folk who can't afford to donate two weeks of their lives to finish a season!

alot of people are still having success i'm finding it easier since the mini patch, the logical approach works with this game and other people are working this out. yes ME has bugs but they work for both sides and its not like 12 did't have bugs either the offside from a corner drove me insane. It difficult to replicate a real life match they have to be careful how they take these bugs out too because it could affect other parts of the ME.

I care little for SI tbh, other than the game itself i am indifferent.

Presumably you feel the same way about bug ridden fifa 12, fifa 13 releases that hit the shelves in the year preceding their title?

I don't play FIFA or anything. Only game Ive played since school has been FM. Obviously game companies want the game out before christmas for sales. All I want is to hand over my hard earned money for a fully playable game now, not in Feb/Mar. Obviously each to their own. Only for the fact I only paid £19.50 for FM13 I would otherwise return it and re-buy the game in Feb/Mar 2013 (providing the Mayans aren't right!)

Piracy for one.

Before steam was mandatory, pirates outnumbered paying customers 3:1.

Only now are the resources available to invest more into the game, they hired plenty of people this summer, including dunc. Yes the match engine isn't perfect, but its a total rebuild from last year.

Granted. But its obviously asking too much much to take a year's release out and just completely fix the ME?? Was it FM09 that had the last big ME rework? That was one that I returned. Seems a pattern at this stage. My fave FMs of recent years have been 08, 10, 12. Might just stick to even number releases from now on :p

I don't play FIFA or anything. Only game Ive played since school has been FM. Obviously game companies want the game out before christmas for sales. All I want is to hand over my hard earned money for a fully playable game now, not in Feb/Mar. Obviously each to their own. Only for the fact I only paid £19.50 for FM13 I would otherwise return it and re-buy the game in Feb/Mar 2013 (providing the Mayans aren't right!)

Granted. But its obviously asking too much much to take a year's release out and just completely fix the ME?? Was it FM09 that had the last big ME rework? That was one that I returned. Seems a pattern at this stage. My fave FMs of recent years have been 08, 10, 12. Might just stick to even number releases from now on :p

Game companies are also under pressure from the fans to release the game quickly. Look at Diablo 3, after 10 years of hype Blizz rushed it out without pvp, an auction house and with numerous bugs and flaws.

It's not so simple to say 'why can't they just release a working product, it's their job'. You've clearly never worked with code. I had to do a module for Uni last year, and even my project which was a couple hundred lines of code would drive me crazy with tiny errors that break the whole thing. Imagine doing that with millions of lines of code. They simply won't be able to fully polish a game as complex as FM from internal testing, they need people playing en masse to find and iron out all errors.

Game companies are also under pressure from the fans to release the game quickly. Look at Diablo 3, after 10 years of hype Blizz rushed it out without pvp, an auction house and with numerous bugs and flaws.

It's not so simple to say 'why can't they just release a working product, it's their job'. You've clearly never worked with code. I had to do a module for Uni last year, and even my project which was a couple hundred lines of code would drive me crazy with tiny errors that break the whole thing. Imagine doing that with millions of lines of code. They simply won't be able to fully polish a game as complex as FM from internal testing, they need people playing en masse to find and iron out all errors.

While I agree with your point about code and development, I think waiting for a final patch 13.3 for example (Which is considered usually to be the most stable or perfect release of said game) is a little much when you consider how close the next installment in the series is to release.

Sure game companies want the games out before Christmas but so do nearly all customers. The game is fully playable, nothing is missing and nothing is so broken it's unplayable. To expect a game to come out completely bug free and working perfectly is completely irrational and will never happen unless they run a 6 month long beta.

While I agree with your point about code and development, I think waiting for a final patch 13.3 for example (Which is considered usually to be the most stable or perfect release of said game) is a little much when you consider how close the next installment in the series is to release.

It's only the most stable relative to the release version, and it's only the most stable because they've had the time to make it so. The game is perfectly playable and enjoyable in it's current state. The most important part of the 3rd patch for me is the transfer update, I usually pay little attention to ME updates and just get on with the game. If it wasn't for the forums, apart from a few glaringly obvious things that have happened (which are annoying, but not unmanageable) I wouldn't even be aware of issues with the ME. But then, I have this weird ethic where I prefer to criticise myself and improve rather than blame others for my failings.

Sure game companies want the games out before Christmas but so do nearly all customers. The game is fully playable, nothing is missing and nothing is so broken it's unplayable. To expect a game to come out completely bug free and working perfectly is completely irrational and will never happen unless they run a 6 month long beta.
I never expected a fully bug free FM13. I'm still waiting for a bug free FM08 :D:D!!

The game is playable as is when playing with Barca, Utd etc. As you drop leagues the flaws become more obvious.

Listen, I'm not saying everyone agree with me, I'm right. Nor am I saying don't buy FM ever again. I'm saying I personally won't be buying another FM until Feb/Mar after its released.

I bid you adieu. See y'all in March!

focus more on match prep and you will win.

coming up against a top or midtable team work the whole week on intensive attackingmovement etc.. match prep and you will gain results.

After the first 3 days since the release, my team(Liverpool) just losing everything maybe a win or 2 in 5 games but then i said to myself i paid a lot of money on this game and been waiting for this game for long time so im not gonna give up.

So i go for plan B, change team(Newcastle), tactics, almost everything then i slowly got the results i wanted. Im very happy with the game right now although maybe a slight bugs but they dont affect me much. 8-|

You were talking about Chelsea?

No, i was talking about man utd, and that fergies decision to play a formation with wingers (in vast contrast to all other tactics used by fergie this season) was unexpected and a contributor to the win.

I'm having an incredibly hard time with the game. Decided to start as Palace after reading this post, but after a decent start, have suddenly hit a horrible run of form. I focused more on the opp. tactics and what they had played against poorly before, but with mixed success. I'm currently 18th after about 12 games. I won my first 3 of 5, but now have only gotten a possible 4 points of my last 8 or so games. I don't have a set tactic, as I change it quite a bit to suite my opp. weaknesses, so maybe i changed it around to much? What is a good balance? Should I only be tweaking things, and not necessarily changing formations? The morale is quite low, and team meetings arn't doing the trick atm. Just having an incredible hard time, and not sure what to do. I really want to enjoy it and get good at it, because i believe that even though it incredibly frustrating at times (many) it seems like a huge step up from '12 and is a lot more rewarding. Any advice at all?

I have two formations which I rotate between; one is my standard 4-2-3-1 formation which is fluid and my other is 4-1-2-2-1 which is rigid and counter.

I use the latter tactic when playing bigger teams.

But I usually tweak my tactics (both formations) depending on who I'm playing. I'm using Everton and in the most part use Fellaini as BWM and Gibson as DLP, but there are games when I change it to Fellaini as BBM and bring in Hargreaves (free transfer) as BWM.

Make sure your players are familiar with your formations and just tweak. Also work on match prep where you might be conceding goals ( I always on def positioning or def set pieces).

I 100% agree on the added realism and think as a package the game is better than any of the previous versions. However, some of the bugs make it almost unplayable. I don't care what anyone on this forum says, to watch an international full back with X amount of caps for his country being skinned on a consistent basis by a Sunday league winger is just utter bollocks. And some of the attacks! To see your winger beat his man only to stop, pass it back to the full back and then be stood offside when he receives the ball back is not realistic. It's *****. It is heavily bugged. It is feckin irritating and it's really really hard. But it's FM and that's why we love it. SI will sort the bugs and people will win the champions league with Wigan and everybody will be happy again. Just grin and bare it until the patches are released!

No, i was talking about man utd, and that fergies decision to play a formation with wingers (in vast contrast to all other tactics used by fergie this season) was unexpected and a contributor to the win.

You were talking about Chelsea vs United, in which case the reason United won was because of a terrible decision to send Torres off and an offside goal given.

@raikan007 How do you do your research? I mean, the only thing i can see is their formation in previous games. I have no clue what counters a 4-2-3-1 for example.

I started playing FM last year and i got alot of problems adjusting to FM13. I only play with commentary so no 3D stuff for me (i dont like it).

Also, does any1 have a problem with the scouting? I got 1 sick scout who gave me 130 reports in 1 year and other scouts are still on 0-10. I reach around 50% of the world :/

starting as United only about 6 games into my season and not finding it too bad. Alot harder than 12 tho as you actually have to consider your tactics before every game and be able to change tactics on the fly (although its a bit silly that if i score an unlikely goal and then dont go counter/defensive i concede an equaliser almost instantly). Only defeats of the season were to Madrid in a friendly and to Juventus in the CL group stage match. The main gripe i feel people have with this game (although not myself) is that it is ALOT harder to take charge of smaller teams and get them beyond expectations especially in the first season.