Who was the best footballer of all time?

Who is the best Footballer of all time?

• Total voters
Biased much? To be honest, the players you've named are all good players, but most of them I think aren't anywhere near the best players ever! Still, you're entitled to your own opinion, I won't challenge that.

Not necessarily. If you are a great player like Xavi, then you will be able to carry your team, so it's not just about your team mates (although football is a team game). Players like Lionel Messi can just inspire a team on their own sometimes, but I disagree with the statement 'you need to win a World Cup to be the worlds best' - that just seems like nonsense!

I can't really comment on this, because I've only seen a few of them play, but of the ones I've seen (about six of the latest ones), I would say Cristiano Ronaldo is the best! People may be surprised I didn't say Messi, but Ronaldo is more versatile and a more rounded player than Messi, and to be honest has done brilliant in a team not quite as good as Barcelona's. He's been extremely consistent, although Messi is younger!

​- PZW

Wise words and i agree but ronaldo is a little to arogant for my liking, else hes amazing. I love ronaldinho cause he plays footbal for fun and doing little tricks and messing about, especially before he moved to barca.

I voted Messi only because i am young and never seen the players apart from short clips only fair.

I think Messi and Ronaldo are far ahead of everybody ever.
marsh u r a legend, and the work u do 4 us is fabulous, but sorry geez, i disagree with u 1000% the pinacle of a players career is the world cup, if i was asked to have either 10 pem league titles 4 my beloved rams or 1 world cup with england it wu b world cup everytime, as a player u have to win the world cup to b the gretest ever, have to. its like if ur a millionaire and ur walking in2 a room full of billionaires and saying your rich.

which means he had a better national team nothing more

people always say that you need to win a world cup to be the worlds best

Rubbish.
ok thrn, if u took maradona out of the 1986 team and replaced im with messi, wud they stll win the world cup? no way, not in a million years, cuz minus maradona and messi the current argie team wud **** on the 86 team

my best ever player seen was maradona, even though hate him, but if wasnt 4 munich air disaster, it wud hav been the great duncan edwards, cuz if it wasnt for the crash, we wud have won 58, 62 and 70 and had 4 stars instead of 1 on our shirts, big dunc had it all and wud hav been captain in 66, alongside tommy taylor they wud hav dominated world fotball, but life is cruel sometimes and munich had mass repercussions.

No Mr. Schmeichel?

Schmeichel was an awesome keeper no doubt. Just didn't want to have to many keepers so i picked the keeper most experts seem to agree was the best ever.

Went for Cruyff as he was a truely beautiful player. Puskas was a close second for me tho

Maradonna good; Pele better; George Best.

My vote goes to the Belfast Boy for such a legacy and story he left behind, not to mention his beautiful game.

Yashin, Baresi, Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Maldini and many more from that list are also players I truly admire and respect. Great list you've compelled there, mate, I can't think of many more I would have included without being biased.

Sorry, allow me one biased moment. Sir Bobby Charlton and Cristiano Ronaldo are also in a league of their own.

marsh u r a legend, and the work u do 4 us is fabulous, but sorry geez, i disagree with u 1000% the pinacle of a players career is the world cup, if i was asked to have either 10 pem league titles 4 my beloved rams or 1 world cup with england it wu b world cup everytime, as a player u have to win the world cup to b the gretest ever, have to. its like if ur a millionaire and ur walking in2 a room full of billionaires and saying your rich.

If u think winning the world cup is what makes a player good then are u calling giggs, cruyff and hagi rubbish.they never had a chance to win the wc cause theyre natiional teams arent the best.

No Henry? Even though I don't think he was the best in the world surely he deserves to be on that list

so basically what people are saying is if a player is from Uzbekistan, he cannt be the best player ever because his national team is poor?

The aregentinian team is noway near the spanish, and the spanish side is pronbably the best national side ever.

When we talk about individual ability and who is the best player, why are people needing to win the world cup.. a team event!

George Best was one of the better players and he never even got to a world cup, it means nothing.. its simply where you were born and how good your national side is

so basically what people are saying is if a player is from Uzbekistan, he cannt be the best player ever because his national team is poor?

The aregentinian team is noway near the spanish, and the spanish side is pronbably the best national side ever.

When we talk about individual ability and who is the best player, why are people needing to win the world cup.. a team event!

George Best was one of the better players and he never even got to a world cup, it means nothing.. its simply where you were born and how good your national side is

I 100% agree about a player not getting the deserved recognition because he plays for a low national team. Alfredo Di Stefano and George Best are on that list and they never made it to a World Cup. Bernd Schuster, Eric Cantona, Ryan Giggs, Ian Rush, George Weah, big Duncan Edwards and quite a few more never made it to a World Cup... yet they're all undeniably fantastic players and some of them will be remembered forever. The World Cup is amazing but if a player's team can't get there then it's hardly their fault.

I 100% agree about a player not getting the deserved recognition because he plays for a low national team. Alfredo Di Stefano and George Best are on that list and they never made it to a World Cup. Bernd Schuster, Eric Cantona, Ryan Giggs, Ian Rush, George Weah, big Duncan Edwards and quite a few more never made it to a World Cup... yet they're all undeniably fantastic players and some of them will be remembered forever. The World Cup is amazing but if a player's team can't get there then it's hardly their fault.

Totally agree. Best and Di Stefano: most fans, players, experts, agree were 2 of the best players ever and didn't go to a world cup. Don't think it devalues a career, especially now that international football is not as good as Club.

No Henry? Even though I don't think he was the best in the world surely he deserves to be on that list

Henry was a great player, but be realistic no one outside of England or France thinks he's as good as: Pele, Maradona, Messi et al.

I personally think Baggio was a much better player in a similar role to Henry:

[video=youtube;mOPbT-nRNzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPbT-nRNzs[/video]

But since he never played in England- he won't get a vote on these forums.

Zidane because I've never seen someone with such grace on the ball and In my opinion he was the best playmaker ever .I've just never seen someone with such great control of the ball before like Zidane had . He was a player with excellent vision , near perfect balance and a master of the ball with his technique . What more would anyone want from a player? Messi is great and everything but the spectacles Zidane created were a real joy to behold .