Who was the best footballer of all time?

Who is the best Footballer of all time?

• Total voters
Italy didn't really play defensively they just bossed the game through Pirlo..

Nesta would be up there if it wasn't for his injury problems.

Michael Laundrup deserves to be there. Best playmaker i ever saw. He could create goal chances almost at will, and make it look effortless.

That being said, i vote for Zidane. A truly complete player, not much else to be said. Excellent in all aspects of the game, as well as physically, professionaly and he had a knack for performing the best at tough matches.

I respect Messi, but he is way overrated.

List is lacking a bit in defensive players, so just for variety i'll put a extra vote in Buffon as GK, Cannavaro as CB. Italian defense at WC 2006 allowed only 2 goals in - first was own goal, and the second one was wrongly given penalty after dive from Henry. As much as I dislike defensive football, thats just unbelievably impressive performance and i always thought it deserved some special recognition.

Beckenbauer, Baresi and Maldini are all better defensive players than Cannavaro imo. And Zoff is better than Buffon, but Yashin is widely thought as the best GK ever... (And he has one vote)

Ronaldo

All the other players I never watched (the older ones like Bestie, Beckenbauer etc) as I was too young/not born yet, Ronaldo was the best player on the planet for a number of years, he was magical!

When Messi and C.Ronaldo retire I will say the same thing about them!

Got to be Sir Bobby Charlton? The things he went through and then went on to win everything there was to win in the game. The man is an absolute legend and one of the most respected footballers ever.

Pele was the best of all time. I'd say Zidane was the best of the modern era

Ok I'd like to change my answer to Messi. 72 goals in a season is just... insane.

Franco Baresi.

One of the most complete footballers ever, with the heart of a lion. Has so many admirable qualities...loyalty, bravery, determination, leadership...he was an exceptional man.