Who was the best footballer of all time?

Who is the best Footballer of all time?

• Total voters
Why Fernando Torres is not on the list? remember people always say winning a WC trophy would make you "ONE OF THE BEST PLAYER"...

Henry was a great player, but be realistic no one outside of England or France thinks he's as good as: Pele, Maradona, Messi et al.

I personally think Baggio was a much better player in a similar role to Henry:

[video=youtube;mOPbT-nRNzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPbT-nRNzs[/video]

But since he never played in England- he won't get a vote on these forums.

And yet Totti has a better career than Baggio, but no one likes the captain of Rome obviously.

According to me van Basten, Di Stefano, Totti, Zammer and Paul Gaskoine (sp?) are one of the best players out there. I voted for van Basten, because he was the first player to make me play football when I was 3-4 years old and with my grandfather we were watching the Calchio. I still remember when playing on the field and screaming " Marco van Basten! And goal!" and then passing the ball near my grandfather who was my personal GK :D

Messi is imo the best player in my own lifetime, however I think Pele is the best ever. 1000+ goals is just incredible. Although messi is still young and could get even better.

Good choice on G Best, great player.

You do know that almost half of Pele's goals were scored in friendlies? Pele never left Brazil so he couldn't be compared to other players, except when the World Cup came along. Today's football is much different than back then.

Messi in time will be the worlds best but for me it has to be Maradona. Despised by many but was such an amazing player.

Best for me, he did everything Messi can do now but with a belly full of beer, Gazza was same and Jimmy Johnstone of Celtic who never got the right praise...Best would be worth 150 million in todays market

Best defender - Baresi

Best midfielder - Xavi

Best forward - Maradona/Messi

No Michael Laudrup? Look him up on YouTube if you don't know him, he was amazing

Where is Zlatan Ibrahimovic on the list? :p

Out of those - Luis Nazario de Lima Ronaldo
With Batistuta a close second

I'd say Djalminha and Rui Costa but they're not on the list

But Johnstone deserves to be there, Larsson would be in a top hundred poll for definite

I agree mate: I'm a huge celtic fan so theres no need to convince me of his brilliance. I just wasn't sure other people would agree that Jinky was the best ever, (apart from you no one mentioned him) so I didn't think of adding him. Only had 30 spaces so it was hard to pick the players...

Where is Zlatan Ibrahimovic on the list? :p

Haha, awesome player- and will probably get top scorer in Serie A this season. Just not enough spaces on the pole, for all these players everyone mentions...

Michael Laundrup deserves to be there. Best playmaker i ever saw. He could create goal chances almost at will, and make it look effortless.

That being said, i vote for Zidane. A truly complete player, not much else to be said. Excellent in all aspects of the game, as well as physically, professionaly and he had a knack for performing the best at tough matches.

I respect Messi, but he is way overrated.

List is lacking a bit in defensive players, so just for variety i'll put a extra vote in Buffon as GK, Cannavaro as CB. Italian defense at WC 2006 allowed only 2 goals in - first was own goal, and the second one was wrongly given penalty after dive from Henry. As much as I dislike defensive football, thats just unbelievably impressive performance and i always thought it deserved some special recognition.