Manager of the Month propels Wigan to second!

Manager of the Month Jordan Conroy has completely transformed the team he took over in 2012 and they have now moved up to the dizzy heights of second. Unlike when they first achieved a feat like this in their first season, it's by no means a fluke. Wigan have been performing well in all competitions and have ensured that they'll top their Europa League group with two games to go. Unfortunately for their fans they're out of the Capital One Cup at the quarter final games again as they lost away to Newcastle. However their league form has made up for this as they won every single league game they played, including a 2-0 win over Tottenham. With this kind of form, Wigan have a very good chance of qualifying for the Champions League at the end of the season.

View attachment 314194

November

Europa League Group G
5/11/15

Wigan 5 vs. 1 Vidoeton
Adryan(24) Ademilson(27, 82) Savic(29) Wellington Nem(68)

A bit of a shock as we went 1-0 down but we responded well and that's us topping the group.

Premier League
10/11/15

West Brom 0 vs. 3 Wigan
Batth('6) Doumbia(35) Kone(37)

A great result away form home against a good team.

21/11/15
Wigan 5 vs. 0 West Ham
Batth(21) Doumbia(53, 76) Wellington Nem(65) Lacazette(84)

Another great win with plenty of goals, our goal difference is really good this year because of results like this.

25/11/15
Leeds 1 vs. 3 Wigan
Kone(10, 42, 55)

Brilliant performance from Kone as we sealed another easy win.

28/11/15
Wigan 2 vs. 0 Tottenham
Anderson(pen 21) Doumbia(90+4)

It was our turn to score the late goal as we made up for the Community Shield disappointment.

Capital One Cup Quarter Final
30/11/15

Newcastle 3 vs. 2 Wigan
Mamaev(11) Kone(79)

It seems like the players didn't want to have that many fixtures so they thought they'd go out of the cup because we made a lot of mistakes which led to their goals.

View attachment 314195

In other news:
View attachment 314196View attachment 314197

Last edited:
Wigan falter in holiday season

Wigan Athletic have started doing what they've hardly done at all this season, losing. Wigan lost four games this month, two in the Europa League and two in the Premier League. They won't worry too much about the Europa League games as they already topped the group and it was a chance to experiment but they would have still liked to win them. In the league however they would have expected to win against Swansea and the defeat at Man United was just embarrassing. That didn't do their goal difference any favours as the team that they needed to keep a goal difference advantage over is the team that scored four against them. The fans will be hoping that they can go back to winning ways next month, though they have some tough games which will test them.

View attachment 314202

F.A Cup 3rd Round
Liverpool vs. Wigan

December

Europa League Group G
3/12/15

Wigan 1 vs. 2 Werder Bremen
Taarabt(58)

I thought I'd try out my other tactic for this game but it didn't go well so it still needs some tweaking I think.

Premier League
6/12/15

Newcastle 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Sulejmani(pen 59) Adryan(80)

A good win to get revenge for the Capital One Cup match.

9/12/15
Swansea 1 vs. 0 Wigan

Swansea were in fifth when we played them but we still should be doing better than this.

12/12/15
Wigan 2 vs. 0 Aston Villa
McCarthy(33) Sulejmani(63)

A good way to bounce back after the Swansea game.

Europa League Group G
17/12/15

Feyenoord 1 vs. 0 Wigan

I made a couple of adjustments to the tactic and we probably should have won but Anderson getting sent off after 10 mins didn't help. We did have 57% possession though so it's a step in the right direction.

Premier League
23/12/15

Wigan 2 vs. 0 Bolton
Savic(22) Adryan(27)

A solid win against our rivals which is always nice.

26/12/15
Man United 4 vs. 0 Wigan

A terrible game, we were completely outplayed. We used our big team tactic but it didn't work at all so I may start using my third tactic for bigger games.

29/12/15

Wigan 4 vs. 1 Blackburn
Sulejmani(pen 33) Wellington Nem(69) Kone(71, 88)

It's a good job my attacking tactic still works well or we'd probably be mid-table!

View attachment 314203View attachment 314204

In other news:
View attachment 314205View attachment 314206View attachment 314207View attachment 314208

Wigan back on track in new year

After a shaky seasonal period, Wigan are back on track as they got back to winning ways in the Premier League. Winning every game in the league this month is a good a way as any to prove to people that the past few games were only a blip rather than a premonition of the rest of the season. Wigan have ended the month top of the table and if their form is anything to go by, they will still be up and around there at the end of the season. On the other domestic front they've been given tough draws in the F.A Cup with Liverpool away and then Tottenham at home. If Wigan are to defend their crown then they'll have to do it the hard way.

View attachment 314303
F.A Cup 4th Round Draw
Wigan vs. Tottenham

Januray

F.A Cup 3rd Round
2/1/16

Liverpool 1 vs. 1 Wigan
O.G(25)

A tough draw away from home but we dominated and should have won.

Premier League
6/1/16

Everton 1 vs. 3 Wigan
Doumbia(37, 69) Adryan(58)

A great win away to the other Merseyside team.

9/1/16
Chelsea 2 vs. 3 Wigan
Anderson(22, 44) McCarthy(38)

I wasn't expecting a win from this and it was a good display of the third tactic I use.

F.A Cup 3rd Round Replay
13/1/16

Wigan 2 vs. 2 Liverpool
Doumbia(35) Sulejmani(84)
(Wigan win 5-4 on penalties)

We went 2-0 down early on but we battled back and Ruffier proved the hero as he saved their last penalty after all the others had been converted.

Premier League
16/1/16

Stoke 0 vs. 1 Wigan
Doumbia(77)

We won ugly but we won which is fine by me.

20/1/16

Wigan 2 vs. 0 Sunderland
Savic(26) Sulejmani(pen 72)

Another solid win, we're racking them up now.

F.A Cup 4th Round
23/1/16

Wigan 0 vs. 0 Tottenham

Another tough game in the F.A Cup and even if we do win we face Man City in the next round.

Premier League
26/1/16

Wigan 1 vs. 0 Arsenal
Lacazette(90+1)

A good win against fourth place, which basically puts them out of the title race. Also a but of tactical genius on my part if I say so myself as I brought him on in the 90th minute and went to attacking rather than counter.

30/1/16
Sunderland 0 vs. 5 Wigan
Doumbia(10) Wellington Nem(27) Ademilson(51, 56, 89)

A very easy win here, Mignolet played terribly and basically gave Ademilson his first hat-trick in the Premier League, coming off the bench as well. I wish we played these every week :p

View attachment 314317

In other news:
View attachment 314321View attachment 314322View attachment 314323View attachment 314324View attachment 314325View attachment 314326View attachment 314327

Last edited:
ive been following from start but been forgetting to comment sorry bout dat but im loving this its quality

F.A Cup holders crash out early

The F.A Cup holders Wigan Athletic have crashed out of this years cup at the hands of Tottenham in the fourth round. With the Wigan board wanting the team to reach the sixth round, this performance will be disappointing but the great performance in the league could make up for it. Wigan are still up and around the top of the table at this stage in the season and people are starting to think that they may be able to mount a serious title challenge. We caught up with Conroy to ask him whether he thinks that Wigan can challenge for the title, "Well it's going to be tough but if you look at our form we've been playing well this season and are here on merit. However, if you look at the fixtures going towards the end of the season then Man City have the advantage and I think they're still favourites." He may have a point and what could be the most important game of the season with regards to the title comes right at the start of March as Wigan host Man City. If they win then the title will be in their hands and though they have the tougher fixture list they will have a chance, though if they lose I can't see Man City losing the title from that position.

View attachment 314619

Europa League 2nd Knockout Round Draw
Club Brugge vs. Wigan

February

F.A Cup 4th Round Replay
3/2/16

Tottenham 2 vs. 0 Wigan

A shame we couldn't win and get through but it would have been tough as we'd have faced City in the next round and United in the round after that.

Premier League
7/2/16

Wigan 2 vs. 0 Birmingham
Batth(41) Doumbia(83)

Back to winning ways with a routine win.

Europa League 1st Knockout Round 1st Leg
18/2/16

FC Lorient 2 vs. 4 Wigan
Batth(19, 32) Doumbia(25, 35)

A good win with plenty of away goals but it's a shame we conceded two.

Europa League 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg
23/2/16

Wigan 1 vs. 3 FC Lorient
Ademilson(32)
(Wigan win on away goals, aggregate 5-5)

I have no idea what happened here and in the end we were lucky to scrape through.

Premier League
27/2/16

Wigan 2 vs. 0 Swansea
Sulejmani(3) Ademilson(24)

Another good win at home with another clean sheet.

View attachment 314622

In other news:
View attachment 314623View attachment 314624View attachment 314625View attachment 314626View attachment 314627

Last edited:
Wigan triumph in title clash

Wigan Athletic have given themselves a great chance of winning the title by winning the top of the table clash with Man City. Goals either side of half time gave Wigan a much needed win to help their title challenge. An undefeated month for Wigan in the league, where they dropped only two points at the start of the month. If Wigan can continue matching City's results up until the end of the season then they will become the Champions of England, which will be an astonishing achievement for the manager and the club. That is why it's slightly confusing that the chairman Dave Whelan is choosing to move on from the club, just as they look to complete the complete rise from the bottom of the Football League to the very top. One positive from this is Wigan's display of focus as they keep winning during their takeover talks. They will need to show this kind of focus if they're going to close out the title come May.

View attachment 314639
Europa League Quarter Final Draw
Wigan vs. Arsenal

March

Premier League
2/3/16

Liverpool 0 vs. 0 Wigan

It's a shame we didn't win this game as it really would have helped our title challenge

5/3/16
Wigan 2 vs. 0 Man City
Taarabt(34) Batth(50)

A fantastic win which puts us in a great position for the title.

Europa League 2nd Knockout Round 1st Leg
10/3/16

Club Brugge 0 vs. 3 Wigan
Doumbia(3, 58) Savic(42)

A pretty easy win really and I'm surprised that they've managed to get this far. I'm pleased they did though because I got to play them :p

Europa League 2nd Knockout Round 2nd Leg
15/3/16

Wigan 2 vs. 1 Club Brugge
McCarthy(8) McCarthy(19)
(Wigan win 5-1 on aggregate)

Another easy win but it's a shame we conceded at home.

Premier League
19/3/16
QPR 0 vs. 1 Wigan
Lacazette(69)

I can start to feel nerves come in as we should have won this easily but we managed it so that's fine by me.

23/3/16
Wigan 4 vs. 0 Leeds
Anderson(pen 19, 49) Doumbia(47, 59)

That's more like it, plenty of goals again keeping the goal difference up.

26/3/16
West Ham 0 vs. 1 Wigan
Savic(60)

Another nervy win but a goal from a corner was enough in the end.

Europa League Quarter Final 1st Leg
29/3/16

Wigan 1 vs. 2 Arsenal
Taarabt(73)

Disappointed that we lost and conceded two away goals, we've got it all to do in the next leg if we're going to get through.

View attachment 314640

In other news:
View attachment 314641View attachment 314642View attachment 314643

Last edited:
Wigan humiliated in Europa League but close in on title

It was a mixed month for Wigan in their different competitions as they were dominated by Arsenal in the Europa League but they moved within one point of winning the Premier League title. Very early in the month they played Arsenal at the Emirates and were humiliated 6-1 which is not acceptable for a team of Wigan's quality. There were whisperings that this heavy defeat would derail their title challenge and there seemed to be some stalk to this as they lost 2-0 at Tottenham three days after. However they managed to get things back on track with a win over Aston Villa, though they very nearly threw away a three goal lead which would have really made people and the team question their title challenge. Man City have made things slightly easier on Wigan by dropping points which means that they only need one point from their last two games to win the title. They also have the chance to win the league in front of their fans which I'm sure will leave in their memory for years to come.

View attachment 314650

April

Premier League
3/4/16

Wigan 2 vs. 0 West Brom
Doumbia(2) Mamaev(26)

The early goal settled any nerves and we managed to see the game out comfortably.

Europa League Quarter Final 2nd Leg
7/4/16

Arsenal 6 vs. 1 Wigan
Ademilson(37)
(Arsenal win 8-2 on aggregate)

I made another of my tactical decisions here as when we went 2-0 down I took off our three most important players to rest them for the league games.

Premier League
10/4/16

Tottenham 2 vs. 0 Wigan

Unfortunately my decision didn't pay off this time as we dropped precious points here.

23/4/16
Aston Villa 2 vs. 3 Wigan
Anderson(29) Adryan(36) Ademilson(38)

A good win that we just managed to close out but we nearly let it slip. City lost to West Brom in the gap which means the loss against Tottenham was cancelled out.

27/4/16
Wigan 4 vs. 0 Newcastle
Adryan(8) Rodriguez(14) Anderson(pen 35) Caldwell(pen 58)

A great win against a tough Newcastle side, one of the games I was worried about as well as the Tottenham one.

30/4/16
Wigan 2 vs. 0 Everton
Doumbia(35) Sulejmani(76)

Another good win against a struggling Everton and even better was that City drew against Aston Villa which means I'm six points clear with two games left.

View attachment 314651

Last edited:
Wigan win Premier League!

After an epic season for Wigan Athletic, they've managed to hold onto first place and win the Premier League title at the expense of Man City. It's a fantastic achievement for the small North West club and it's come four years after Conroy took charge and they've gone from strength to strength since then. People were wondering if Wigan, who have no previous title experience (well not at this level anyway) could keep their composure and keep winning games despite the mounting pressure. They managed to do so and even won the league in front of their home fans with a draw against Man United. The new chairman Liam Young was thrilled with the achievement of the manager and with only a year left on his contract will surely be offering him an extension soon. If he can repeat anything like the form of this season then he will surely go down in Wigan folklore, if he hasn't already, and be considered along the most renowned managers in the world.

View attachment 314689

May

Premier League
8/5/16

Wigan 1 vs. 1 Man United
Adryan(20)

The title is ours! I can't believe it, I didn't seriously think we could hold on with our fixture list but we managed it! We were 1-0 for ages and the scored a 90th minute equaliser, I was scared that they would score a late winner to delay our celebrations.

15/5/16
Bolton 3 vs. 1 Wigan
Adryan(2)

I think most of our players had already mentally checked out but who cares, we won the league!

View attachment 314690

In other news:
View attachment 314691View attachment 314692View attachment 314693

End of Season Review

This season was even better than last season I didn't think was possible after the F.A Cup win but somehow we've managed to win the league! I was wondering if we would be able to get into the Champions League this season after moving one place higher each season but we made a leap this season to the top of the table. It's a shame we couldn't defend our F.A Cup but we had such a tough draw, especially in the two games we would have played after it's like the game was punishing me for winning it last season. Also we were knocked out of the Capital One Cup at the quarter final stage again this season and hopefully we'll manage to win it sooner or later. Reaching the quarter finals of the Europa League again was really good though we were unlucky to draw Arsenal as we could have had Getafe or Fenerbache which would have been great. We also kept a surprising amount of clean sheets seeing as though I started using a more attacking tactic which is promising and hopefully we can build on all this for next season.

Did I meet my targets?
Reach the semi-finals of either the F.A Cup or Capital One Cup - No
Second round/Quarter Finals of the Europa League depending on draw - Yes
5th of higher in the league - Yes
Keep at least 20 clean sheets - Yes (28)

Results from last season
View attachment 315306View attachment 315307View attachment 315308View attachment 315309

Wigan Team of the Year
View attachment 315296

Fans Player of the Year
View attachment 315297

Manager of the Year
View attachment 315298

Other Competitions
View attachment 315302View attachment 315303View attachment 315304View attachment 315305

Barcelona won the Champions League, beating Man City 2-1 after extra-time.
Tottenham defended their Capital One Cup, beating Newcastle 2-0 after extra-time.
Tottenham won the Community Shield, beating Wigan 2-1.
Bayern Munich won the Europa League, beating Arsenal 2-1 in the final.
Man City won the Club World Cup, beating River 2-0 in the final.

Wigan move up the European Rankings again
View attachment 315299

Last edited:
Sorry I've not been updating for a while guys but I've been a bit busy. I'll try and get on and get a but further so I can keep updating

What tatics did you find best for playing against big teams? I have 2 tatics i use on my Wigan file and my 3rd one is never effected and im hoping to push on to top 4 this year

Fantastic read! Had a good time at wigan myself on FM11 but couldn't reach these heights!

Now you have won the league i expect you will try to retain it and also dip your toes in champions league! Are you tempted by bigger teams if offers came in? Or even abroad?

You've done a fantastic job building tho :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What tatics did you find best for playing against big teams? I have 2 tatics i use on my Wigan file and my 3rd one is never effected and im hoping to push on to top 4 this year

I mainly used my 4-1-2-1-2 tactic for the bigger teams but sometimes I would use my 4-2-3-1 tactic if I thought it would work better against that team.

Fantastic read! Had a good time at wigan myself on FM11 but couldn't reach these heights!

Now you have won the league i expect you will try to retain it and also dip your toes in champions league! Are you tempted by bigger teams if offers came in? Or even abroad?

You've done a fantastic job building tho :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers mate! :) Yeah they're a good team to play with, I tried them in FM12 but never did very well with them.

And yeah that's the plan, I don't know how realistic it would be to retain the league but I'll give it a go and the Champions League will be interesting to play in. And I have been thinking of splitting the save if an offer from a big team abroad comes along but I'll keep this one going as well.

And cheers mate, hopefully I can keep going strong :)

Great story! Looking forward to hearing the next chapter.

Interested to see what happens with the takeover. Hope you can increase your stadium so revenues will rise!

Great story! Looking forward to hearing the next chapter.

Interested to see what happens with the takeover. Hope you can increase your stadium so revenues will rise!

Cheers mate, I'm having a bit of trouble motivating myself to play it at the moment, I'll explain in my next post.

I was glad I managed to keep my job but they seem to be more skint than Dave Whelan. I've already asked them for an increase but they said there wasn't enough money, I regret doing it before the takeover now but oh well.