XeNoN's 3412/5212 - SW and 2 WB's (2002 Brazil)

XeNoNF50

Reaction score
Hola!

I just made a new tactic, inspired by many different things. Firstly I wanted to make a tactic with a back 3. So I did a bit of researching and stumbled across one of my favourite teams; the 2002 Brazil world cup winners. They were a top team, but that's not under discussion!

Even though my tactic was inspired by that Brazillian 2002 team, to be more specific the line up for the final of the world cup, it is not an emulation of them. I wanted to make the tactic as effective as it can be to work on football manager 2012, and I believe I may have achieved that.

Anyway my tactic is as follows:

300px-GER-BRA_2002-06-30.svg.png

GK - A goalkeeper

SW - A sweeper, does play with the ball sometimes, but that's not important. In my tactic his main function is to make that last tackle and clear crosses etc.

CB's - Both are your standard central defenders.

WBR/L - Quite an important role in the team. They both defend and attack. Stops crosses and makes a lot of tackles. Gets up the field too. Helps to keep possession, creates chances and sometimes even gets high into the box to get on the end of clear cut chances. I think it does Cafu and Roberto Carlos a fair bit of justice!

CML - The more defensive of the two. When in possession, he is in the space readily available for the pass. Defends well and moves the possession where it needs to be.

CMR - Box to box midfielder. Gets forward to supplement the attack. Also gets into the defensive shape when we are without the ball. An all round midfielder is probably needed here, though not really imperative.

AMC - Creates a lot of chances. Some games, when I used with Real Madrid, Ozil, and with Inter Milan, Alex Teixera, makes around 5 key passes in the game. Quite important you have a good player here.

STCR - The more creative of the two strikers, naturally. Creates chances and also gets opportunities to finish them off too.

STCL - This striker will get more chances to score than the other. Someone who will finish off chances is pretty important here.

This is the first time I've used this formation, or similar. I feel it's one of the best systems for football manager. It's balanced in both attack and defence but it's pretty great at both. When defending it has 7 players back, sometimes 8 when the AMC decides to drop off. When attacking it has 7 players forward, with only the 3 defenders staying back. The WB's play an important role in that.

Anyway this is how I developed the tactic:

I am Brazil on my football manager game. Thought I'd use this formation with them because I was bored of using 4231. I edited my 4411 tactic which you'll find on this formation to convert it into this 3412/5212 tactic. I began by dropping my MR/L to WBR/L and tweaked a few of the settings on it to suit a WB. Next I added in a SW (from DR) and created a new player instruction for it. My 2 CM's I slightly tweaked from my 4411 and then I added in another striker (from DL) and added a player instruction I've previously used from my 442 formation, so I had a system of 2 strikers which I know works well together. I then made the team instructions that I though would work well with this formation. The first game up was Barcelona. I won 5-2 vs Barcelona, but it was clear the defence wasn't yet good enough. This led to a gradual number of more tweaks to get the tactic I've got right now.

Some screenshots

fcinternazionaletactics.png

ligabbvaoverviewstages2.png

realmadridcffixturesfix.png

realmadridcffixturesfix.png

realmadridcfsquadplayer.png

Using the tactic with Real Madrid I got the following: P 25 W 24 D 1 L 0 F 81 A 14

With Inter Milan:

serieaoverviewstages.png

fcinternazionalefixture.png

fcinternazionalefixture.png

fcinternazionalesquadpl.png

P 16 W 16 D 0 L 0 F 42 A 5 - Conceded only in 3 games out of 16

As I went on developing you can see the results getting better and better. This was by little tweaks that I kept making. By the end of the first half of results in the Serie A I'm convinced of it's consistency and it's effectiveness, enough to share the tactic with you all. The defence is very solid and the tactic attacks well too. With Inter Milan I've had a lot of games where I have lots of clear cut chances but score only 1 or 2 goals. You will see an example of that below, along with some screenshots of other games.

rmadridvfcbayernstatsma.png

rmadridvmancitystatsmat.png

intervsienastatsmatchst.png

intervacmilanstatsmatch.png

intervudinesestatsmatch.png

I'll add a few more screenshots of a few more games in due course.

Anyway a few pointers; the assistant does absolutely everything, team talks match prep etc
pitch size whatever it was on. Train your CB's to be SW if you haven't got any. That's what I did and it's worked so far.

and here's the tactic: XeNoN's 3412 v00001.tac

If this formation is your cup of tea, enjoy!

Last edited:
may give this a go with my juv save do u think it would work?

may give this a go with my juv save do u think it would work?

I could. I don't particularly know much about their squad. They use wingers rather than wing backs right? Renders them a bit useless but retraining them could work.

I could. I don't particularly know much about their squad. They use wingers rather than wing backs right? Renders them a bit useless but retraining them could work.
ok thanks u may be right there is allways barc

could give it a go with man u just have to sell the wingers

could give it a go with man u just have to sell the wingers

I got offered the Man Utd job when testing the tactic, chose inter milan instead though for that reason. I couldn't bare to sell Nani or Valencia!

going to make a new manu save and give this a go who should i get for swc?

going to make a new manu save and give this a go who should i get for swc?
Sergio Ramos was pretty good at SW in my Real Madrid save. I use Jan Vertonghen in my Inter Milan save. His stats are really decreased in my game because he had a long term injury before I bought him but he still works well there.

great tactic man , can you show the statistics of your key players?

great tactic man , can you show the statistics of your key players?

If you're talking about goals and assists and average ratings, you will see them on the opening post already for both Real Madrid and Inter Milan game saves.

thanks how much did u get him for

I got Vertonghen for £1.8million in the summer of 2015. He's already had 10 different injuries since I started the game, some for a few months, explains why his attributes have all decreased.

Start new game with Real Sociedad. Here some results

rsociedadvromathngkthng.png

rsociedadvgetafethngkth.png

rsociedadvathleticthngk.png

rsociedadvbarcelonathng.png

levantevrsociedadthngkt.png

some very nice scores there and that 1 with barc is awsome

Very nice. I tried something similar in a previous save. Same formation, but with 3 central defender and no sweeper, and MR/L instead of wingbacks (3-4-1-2). I came up with that formation because my backs were injured (I played Mexico). had some very nice results, especially the wins against Brazil and Argentina in the copa america or something. Creating opportunities went very well (4 CCC/game or something), defending was a bit more difficult. Looks like a really good tactic. Although sweepers and wingbacks are hard to find.

Very nice. I tried something similar in a previous save. Same formation, but with 3 central defender and no sweeper, and MR/L instead of wingbacks (3-4-1-2). I came up with that formation because my backs were injured (I played Mexico). had some very nice results, especially the wins against Brazil and Argentina in the copa america or something. Creating opportunities went very well (4 CCC/game or something), defending was a bit more difficult. Looks like a really good tactic. Although sweepers and wingbacks are hard to find.

Wing backs are strangely not that difficult. A lot of RB's you can retrain pretty quickly. Sweepers are players you may need to retrain. I've successfully managed to retrain Ranocchia and Yaya Banana within a few months. Rafael Toloi can also be easily retrained. There are a few out there, but even when I played cb in sweeper without training it worked well.

Thank you for the feedback though.

Also relevant to the thread, I just beat Real Madrid 5-0 with Inter Milan. One of my most impressive results so far.