Yossi Benayoun seals Chelsea switch

MFC1992

Banned
Reaction score
According to reports on the Jewish Chronicle website on Monday, the Liverpool star and Israel captain has agreed a four-year contract with Chelsea after the two clubs agreed a fee of around £7 million.

When news first broke of Cole's departure and the anticipated move to replace him with Benayoun, it caused incredulity for fans of both clubs. The Stamford Bridge faithful couldn't believe that Cole would go, but only days ago Chelsea announced his contract would not be renewed, while Liverpool supporters were in shock that Benayoun would wish to defect to the London club.
Then, when Benayoun later confirmed that he was negotiating a move to Chelsea, the Liverpool fans were even more shocked that one of their players was openly talking about leaving. There are fears Benayoun's exit could have a domino effect with Anfield's star names attracting attention,and Fernando Torres still on Chelsea's wanted list.

Benayoun flies back to England later this week from holiday in Israel to undergo a medical and pick up his £80,000-a-week wages, the salary that Cole was enjoying at the Bridge until he became a free agent and demanded a £30,000 plus pay rise, which Roman Abramovich refused to sanction.

Benayoun will himself enjoy a healthy pay rise due to his move from Liverpool to Chelsea. Cole, though, is left still considering his future while on England duty, putting the decision onto the backburner to concentrate on the World Cup finals in South Africa.
It has been suggested that he has 'signed' for Arsenal, but the Gunners' pre-contract is conditional on Cole returning from the tournament fully fit.

However, Arsenal's north London rivals Spurs have also declared their interest in trying to sign Cole, in Soccernet exclusive interview with Spurs manager Harry Redknapp. West Ham too have made preliminary enquiries, but David Sullivan confided to Soccernet that Cole has already said no.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/7976

not sure wether to like this signing or not but he played well at liverpool so lets hope he does the same at chelsea

ya seen this on SS surprised me he hasnt been good at liverpool and cole was twice as good as him even at his best :S

I wanted him at city, oh well, he will regret being a benchwarmer at chelsea, cant see him playing regularly.

It's a nice misleading title but unless it's confirmed by the Chelsea official website, it hasn't really happened yet.

good player to bring of bench and scores important goals

ya seen this on SS surprised me he hasnt been good at liverpool and cole was twice as good as him even at his best :S

Serious? Surely you're not, He's been fantastic at 'Pool.
From January onwards he hasn't been performing, and i expected him to go, but not to Chelsea, and not for such a low price for one of out most creative players

Quick Question, Why where you on the Jewish Chronicle Website? ;) oO)

from January onwards is probable what is stuck in my head, but you have to agree he was never anything compared to cole

Doesn't seem like a bad idea, basically a less injury prone Joe Cole minus a touch of talent.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Eh?!

Yossi in my eyes is probably the most underrated player in England, his creativity at Liverpool was (bar Gerrard) unmatched.

Quality signing if you ask me.

Last edited:
He would be a regular at city, he could play on the wing, and he could also play in the center, we need someone creative like him to go along side De Jong