lfclad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

All around the forum you see success stories like "this played was a beast for me", "he had an average of 8.3 for two seasons for me" etc etc. What we don't hear about is the players you brought in and flopped. So thought I'd start a thread to see other the none successful side of FM.

I've not been on this version that long, but one of my flops was Bradley Wright-Phillips. for Tranmere Rovers. Braught in for 150k (I think) ended up playing only 4 games and deteriorating so bad, was one of the highest earners at the club at the time on 4.5k and didn't pay back a penny. I probably could of played him more, but he was shockingly bad when he played so ended up dropping him and he never got a look in since. Ended up paying him off and releasing him for 100k. Could of and should of spent the money much wiser at the time.

Not the most expensive flop obviously, but for the club at the time it was a signing that I felt would be quite exciting but I was wrong.

Don't be shy and share your flops. Where did you go wrong? have you bought any of the top talent and it just didn't happen for you? Would be interesting to see.

Cheers.

Isco - £25m
Ademilson - £5m
Paulinho - £25m
Isco never really played that much and when he did wasn't good enough, Paulinho wasn't bad but I had someone who was much better (Koke) and Ademilson broke his leg and never played well again!!!

Bought Falcao for £25m scored 42 goals in his first season, broke his foot and was out for months and when he returned he was horrible and struggled to get 5 goals in two seasons so ended up selling him out to PSG. Had high hopes for him :(

I rarely have players flopping but my biggest on fm 2013 has to be Markus Henriksen. I tried playing him in various roles and gave him plenty of time to settle but constantly underperformed. Bought for £37.5m and sold several seasons later for £15.25m. Annoyingly he is back to performing well again at Betis who I sold him to.

Isco - £25m
Ademilson - £5m
Paulinho - £25m
Isco never really played that much and when he did wasn't good enough, Paulinho wasn't bad but I had someone who was much better (Koke) and Ademilson broke his leg and never played well again!!!

I never really got the best out of Isco either, from my own experience I think he is a hit or miss player with regards to success.

Mario Gotze - £21.5m Picked him up after he had a falling out with Robert Matteo. He wasn't exactly bad, I just ended up changing my play style and couldn't fit him in anywhere, so sold him to PSG for £20m

And that's it so far. At the start of the 16/17 season now and haven't really made a bad signing.

i rejected a 25mill bid for Fellani once and he got sent off 9times in 1 season and scored 4 own goals!

Only 3 bad signing so far

Rodrigo - £14.75m
Nem - £3.5m
And a Brazilian free agent. Forgotten his name, but I signed him for my Luton team in the first season, was my best paid player.... And turned out he couldn't play for a year "Due to personnel reasons". :/

Both Rodrigo and Nem never even remotely got going for me.

Nem was my first signing on my Arsenal save, he played about 8 matches in which he was average, then spent the rest of the time on loan. Ended up selling him for £13m so not bad a bad transfer overall, he just flopped in terms of how he played.

I bought Rodrigo in the 3rd season, as Falcao had been alright for me in the previous season, but not amazing, and Poldi was getting old. He ended up playing 16 games and scored 1 goal. Luckily, I got £16m for him when I sold him to Monaco the season after! :D

Raheem Sterling signed him for my Spurs side for 16m he developed into a decent winger (great dribbling & crossing) but was so eratic... he would have a storming game and score a hat trick then have 10 bad games in a row after that & was so inconsistent ended up selling for 15m to Newcastle & got El Shaarawy instead.

FM12- Belhanda for 15 million USD.

Sold him on to chelsea for 20 million after one season.

But to be fair, he had an avg rating of 7 and had a few assists. But for the role he played for me, he wasn't coming close to scoring and didn't break down defenses too well. Sigh, chased that dude for a long time too

If we're going on about previous FM's then Sessegnon on my FM10 save.

Bought him for around £16m - Absolutely abysmal. Catastrophically bad. Persisted with him for 6 months as well. Sold him for £8.5m at the end of the season. It was so bad that when he signed for Sunderland IRL, I already hated him - for no other reason that he flopped for me on FM...

Ekici for £7.25m, never really fit into my Monaco side, sold him off to Germany for around £10m.

When FM13 first came out I signed Di Natale for my Liverpool squad to act as cover for Suarez and provide a scoring option in cup games. Di Natale was relatively cheap at 5 mil... and that should of tipped me off.

He went on to score two goals in about 20 appearances, and by the second season he was relegated to the practice squad.

In his defense, I played him in the Suarez role... and he lacks the creativity and pace to really excel there. My biggest complaint was that he was real lazy off the ball... like noticeably so.

He wasn't a total wash though. In his 2 years with me he tutored some good players (like Borini for the Itallian connection). Also, one of Di Natale's few goals for the club was the winner against Man U... which is probably worth 5 mil on its own.

Scotty 3.5milfor Nem is not a flop, he could have been a beast for you had you trained him right

As WBA manager I have signed a newgen player for £34m. His first month after signing was spent at the African Nations.

In his second season he broke his leg a few weeks before the start of the season and was out for 5 months. He came back for about a month and managed a few games before tearing his hamstring, which put him out for another 3 months.

I'm not into my third season and he has already torn his calf muscle and will be out for 2 months.

Season 1 - 7 League games
Season 2 - 10 League games
Season 3 - 2 (out of 8) League games

When I signed him his physical stats were quite impressive

Before Injuries

View attachment 2206

After Injuries

View attachment 2204

Injury Record

View attachment 2203

Career Stats

View attachment 2202

Isco - £21m . He was supposed to be "the next big thing". Brought him in as a replacement for Gerrard. Hardly ever played, and when he played he was awful.

Leandro Damaio.Signed for £20milllion for Madrid and scored 2 goals in 26 games or something awful like that.

Marc-Andre ter Stegen, spent over £20m on him at Swansea. Bought him for the reason that he's supposed to be the best on the game. I've always firmly believed that goalkeeper is the most important position so I thought it was reasonable, not to mention I play with a sweeper keeper, which all the extra stats required he was high in. Anyway, he was horribly inconsistent, would have the odd brilliant game but was mainly average and in some games he cost us several goals by poor passing, stupid handling errors, moving at all the wrong times, all the goalkeeping errors you can thing of.

I don't think I'll ever sign him again. If I ever buy a young goalie in future it'll be a regen or Courtois.

Scotty 3.5milfor Nem is not a flop, he could have been a beast for you had you trained him right

You can say that for all these player's on this thread, but the problem was not how I trained him, or how he developed whilst on loan (He actually developed quite well, had good attributes for his age by the time I sold him). The problem was he never learned to speak English, never settled in and by the time he had developed I had already brought in better players (Mainly Isco, who was fantastic for me)

So it wasn't actually Nem's fault, because as I said, he was average when he played, not amazing but not bad, and he developed okay - My only complaint was that he never adapted well, I presume he has a low adapatability. It was just that I simply had better players than him by the time he was good enough to play.