5-3-2, PLAYED 16, WON 16, SCORED 57 CONCEDED 1, 2 STRIKERS SCORING!!!

I have been using this tactic for Southampton 2nd season with the SS to AF tweak and it is starting to reap rewards now in Dec / Jan. so for those who say it does not work - it does take time for the team to get fluid with it.

I tend to make my own tactics in FM and generally I keep Team & player instructions to a minimum, but this tactic has loads! (Not a criticism btw) So here is a question to all.
From playing with this tactic and tweaking - what do you feel are he key instructions to making this tick? To me:
- The strength is fast / direct passes to the FWD line. So the Ball Pl CB’s are key as well as, direct passing, run at def & >expressive.
- another key are the WB’s - assists and goals come from them because they appear on the edge of the box and when they make a run they are in the box and any pass is short and straight across goal - so be narrow, cut inside and low crosses is another key element.
- lastly it’s getting the ball back quickly so close down, narrow and get stuck in.

What about all the other instructions?
- does the mark tightly make a big impact?
- look for overlap - does this impact the fast direct passing where players might stop and look for overlap missing a through ball opportunity?
- what about all the player I’s? Might they overkill the team ones? Or actually it does not work as good without the double tagging!

Genuinely intrigued how those who like to get into the detail of tactics see it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm playing with original tactic, my SS is completly "green" - natural for the role but still he have the lovest average rating (after 10 games), under 7.0 ....

View attachment 1137418

Here's my tweak. I had to make more tweaks than expected when playing with Twente, thereof the slight delay. I'm not saying this one is better than the one in the OP but i'm experiencing less conceded goals with this tweak.

Training - Def. Positioning
OI - Assistant

View attachment 1137426

Manchester City | Predicted 1st

View attachment 1137424

Twente | Predicted 10th

View attachment 1137419
View attachment 1137420

Hammarby | Predicted 7th

View attachment 1137421
View attachment 1137422View attachment 1137423

Is there any chance you (or someone using the tactic) could post up the individual player instructions for any that have changed from the original for those of us on FMT on tablets?

Last edited:
I'm playing with original tactic, my SS is completly "green" - natural for the role but still he have the lovest average rating (after 10 games), under 7.0 ....
Pogledaj post 399, tamo sam postavio sta sam uradio sa svojim "SS". Osvojio sam titulu lagano sa Liverpulom.

Just giving an update :) Just finished 3rd season with Man United.
1st season won: PL, ECL, Carabao Cup, FA Cup.
2nd season: Comm Shield, European Super Cup, CWC, PL, CL
3rd Season: Same as 2nd season + FA Cup. Literally lost 1 game all season (Carabao Cup vs Leeds!! I had a weakened side out).

I've used the original tactic all along EXCEPT from about start of 2nd season I've tweaked the Shadow Striker to Advanced Playmaker-Attack, with the PI's Tackle Harder, Mark Tighter, Move Into Channels. You can see in the thread a LOT of people have stated about the SS/AP not being very good, poor average ratings etc, and I do admit Iagree, it could be better. I've yet to find a suitable tweak. Can see a lot of people have used Dimartino's tweak and it seems to be working, so for 4th season I'm going to give it a go :)

Obviously this tactic has not/will not work for everyone, but I'm genuinely delighted so many people have used it with success :) Wasn't expecting it to be so popular! Loving the updates from you all :)

what are your preferences for Oi's ? None what so ever or go with Assistant manager . ??

Also play with tactic in all 3 slots and use attacking movement training until fluid ?
this is my squad at Liverpool 2nd season about 12 games in and only about 6th in League so need to start winning again !! !!View attachment 74625

Yeah the more I see other peoples feedback the more I realise the SS was a mistake :) Just haven't found a solution to the problem haha, I'm tempted to try other peoples tweaks such as moving the SS/AP as a third striker, having Dybala currently won't be a bad thing either :) Attached my team, can also see my backup players in the same pic :)

thanks mate

Hi. Back again, using this tactic and dimartino tweaks with a different team. Last time I tried this with Preston, with restrictions of only buying free agents.

This time I will not buy, loan or trade a single player throughout the entire save, depending on the academy alone to give me players good enough to eventually make it all the way to Premier League with Crewe.

Crewe has a media prediction of 19th place, and this is the results so far without a single signing:

View attachment 74624
Amazing!

For anyone looking for a similar challenge, I have made a thread about this challenge at football manager stories.
Please join me and share your results if you are interested :-)

I can see this is a rebuild of parkthebus 17 from theduke
good job working good.

Hi. Back again, using this tactic and dimartino tweaks with a different team. Last time I tried this with Preston, with restrictions of only buying free agents.

This time I will not buy, loan or trade a single player throughout the entire save, depending on the academy alone to give me players good enough to eventually make it all the way to Premier League with Crewe.

Crewe has a media prediction of 19th place, and this is the results so far without a single signing:

View attachment 1137835
Amazing!

For anyone looking for a similar challenge, I have made a thread about this challenge at football manager stories.
Please join me and share your results if you are interested :-)
where can i find
dimartino tweaks

What foot would you guys prefer to have as the right and left striker? Left-foot on left, right-foot on right, or the other way around?

where can i find
dimartino tweaks
View attachment 1137863

This is it. This is the tactic to beat. I have tried 20-25 tactics before this, but have no need to look further after trying this. In my experience, with Preston, Bournemouth and Crewe, I find that I can challenge for top spots even though the squad should'nt be good enough for it. Perfect for underdogs - should be even better with really good players.

I highly recommend to have at least one striker (of course - best if all three) that is really fast.

Last edited:
View attachment 1137863

This is it. This is the tactic to beat. I have tried 20-25 tactics before this, but have no need to look further after trying this. In my experience, with Preston, Bournemouth and Crewe, I find that I can challenge for top spots even though the squad should'nt be good enough for it. Perfect for underdogs - should be even better with really good players.

I highly recommend to have at least one striker (of course - best if all three) that is really fast.

what do u do about training etc can u put some pictures up

Back