A New Era

The Sun 16th March 2013 - 8-1-1 Formation Earns Wigan Point

Wigan 0 -0 Wolves (Premier Division)

Gav Williams was left fuming after his Wolves side failed to break down Wigans rearguard at the JJB. Javier Aguirres men rarely advanced into the Wolves half through the entire ninety minutes opting instead to keep The Wanderers at bay by crowding their own 18 yard area.

'Wigans pitch is so narrow its hard to move the ball around as it is' said Williams. 'So when the opposition employ 8 defenders in and around their penalty box your chances of finding a way through are minimal. They needed the point admittedly to pull themselves away from the bottom three, but they didnt even try to nick a winner. They defended for ninety minutes.'

It may have been a different story had Wolves not been missing both Brazilian international playmaker Yuri and Cristian Benavente through injury. Turk Berk Yasar was employed along Roberto in midfield giving the Wolves engine room a very defensive look in itself.
'I could have dropped Dalla Valle into the attacking midfield role' conceded Wiliams 'But hes just too deadly up front to not play him there.' Ultimately the decision may have backfired as even though Wolves were solid in the middle there was no creativity to feed the strikers.

Wolves now sit 6 points clear of Arsenal on the same games with Liverpool effectively dropping out of the title race.

The Express & Star 31st March 2013 - Williams Pens New Wolves Contract

Gav Williams today pledged his future to Wolves by signing a four year contract on a reported £32,000 a week.
He has been given a transfer kitty of £24.5m and its rumoured his amin targets are Spurs striker John Austin and Real Madrid midfielder Pierre Ducasse. Austin however may be out Wolves price range as the young striker has recently seen his value soar since establishing himself as an England regular.
Madrid boss Gordon Strachan has also warned Williams off Ducasse, although it is believed a bid of around £20m may tempt him to sell.

fek me that Austins good. Keep it up.

i envy you, i can never stay at one club that long

The Sun 2nd April 2013 - Not So Jol-ly Martin!

Athletic 1-2 Wolves (Champions League Quarter Final Leg 1)

Athletic boss Martin Jol saw Wolves put one foot into the quarter finals of the Champions League last night with a 2-1 away win. Goals from Theo Walcott and an own goal from defender Ivan Garai were enough to see Gav Williams side ****** victory with two precious away goals.

'After my time at Spurs I thought we had Wolves pretty sussed, but they came here and played fantasically well. I told my team how to play against them and they didnt. And Im sure I didnt tell them to score a goal for them either' said Jol.

Teenager Jose Javier Gallego cancelled out Walcotts 15th minute opener on 20 minutes, but Athletic failed to cope with long spells of Wolves pressure. Walcott took his tally to 12 in Europe this season after racing clear of the defence onto Lucas Trecarichis through ball to slide under Javier Mandaluniz.

Williams declared 'Nobody expected us to have a chance of winning the European Cup again but I think this result signals our intent. But we still have to get through a tough home tie yet.'

keep up the good work as always also kudos on the headline :)

ur team is good

I think its the best team Ive had on FM and they're still all quite young. Another 4 years and I reckon they'll be world-class.

keep up the good work as always also kudos on the headline :)

Cheers mate. I'll send that DVD Monday, Ive been away again.

booz, i dont suppose u could post your tictacs up could you mate? :p

I miss fm :( get paid on Thursday so hopefully get pc fixed this week some time.

booz, i dont suppose u could post your tictacs up could you mate? :p

OK my base tactics are:

CBs set to very defensive, rare forward runs
FBs set to defensive, sometimes forward runs

DMC set to slightly defensive, rare forward runs

AMC set to attacking, often forward runs

AMR/L set to very attacking, always forward runs

STs set to very attacking.

My reasoning is defenders are there to defend. Full backs are ok going forward sometimes but you dont want to get caught short on a counter attack, so I leave my wingers to do the majority of the wideplay.
I play two central midfielders, one attack minded one defense minded. Obviously one covers in front of the defence, one supports the attackers with through balls and late runs into the box.

I set this tactic in the Championship and have stuck to it, although it took a while to work effectively as I had to acquire players to do what I wanted. It seems consistency does pay off though. My first 2 or 3 seasons in the Prem i would play defensive counter attack away from home and attacking at home. But now my team is pretty good, I stick to attacking all the time.

SkySports.com 6th April 2013 - Toon Pay Penalty

Wolves 1 - 0 Newcastle (Premier Division)

Scott Parkers rash push on Theo Walcott in the box gave Wolves their 23rd win of the season in this 1-0 massacre at Molineux. Despite the scoreline this was a game with plenty of goalmouth action, and could have been a cricket score if it hadnt been for Toon goalie Artur Boruc.
Walcott dusted himself off to put the penalty away himself in the 16th minute, with Roberto, Dalla Valle, Siwahla and Walcott himself all spurning gilt-edged chances later in the game to increase the scoreline.

Despite a fine double save from Ismael in the second half, Newcastle never looked like threatening Wolves lead.

'This is one step closer' said Gav Williams after the match. 'We've 7 games to go and its all in our hands now. As Ive said before Im happy to grind out 1-0 wins if it means us retaining the title, although the lads could have had a couple more today.'

The Express & Star 9th April 2013 - Three And Easy For Rampant Wolves!

Wolves 3 - 0 Athletic (Champions League Quarter Final Second Leg)

Wolves cruised into the semi-finals of the Champions League with a comprehesive 3-0 victroy at Molineux, giving them a 5-1 win on aggregate. It was a stunning performance of attacking football that left Gav Williams smiling, but Martin Jol was fuming.

'I cant believe our performance' said the Dutchman. 'We may as well have not turned up at all, we were never a match for Wolves. Having said that, anybody who has Dalla Valle playing for them in that form will be challenging for honours. He was immense.'

Indeed, Dalla Valle shot to the top of the Champions League scoring charts with a fine brace after Theo Walcott had opened the scoring on the stroke of half time. The match had been a dull affair until Athletic failed to clear from their own 18 yard area, allowing Benavente to slide an inch perfect pass through to Walcott who slammed past Aranzubia from 12 yards.

Dalla Valle doubled the lead five minutes after the interval. Juan Lucas tricked his way down the left and fired over a low cross for Dalla Valle to pirouet at the near post and smash home.

The game then was just a formality as both managers made substitutions to keep legs fresh. But Dalla Valle was not reading from the same sheet saving his brilliant best til last. Darko Pavicevic, the promising young Serbian right-back broke up a rare Athletic attack before advancing towards the halfway line. He then stroked a beautiful 60-yard crossfield pass to pick out Dalla Valle unmarked on the angle of the area. Without hesitation he smashed an unstoppable volley into the far corner of the net. Molineux erupted and Wolves were home and dry. It was the Finns 10th Champions League goal this season.

'I couldnt have asked any more from the lads' said Williams. 'They coasted through and gave me a really easy night. Lauri was outstanding and his second goal was a delight!'

Wolves were joined in the semi-finals by Barcelona who lost 1-0 to Gelsenkirchen, but won 3-2 on aggregate.

BBCSport.co.uk - Tough Draw For Wolves

Wolves have landed Barcelona in the Champions League semi-final draw.

'Its the hardest draw considering the teams left in the competition, but at this stage there are no easy games.' said Gav Williams. 'You have to beat the best to be the best so we're happy with the draw, especially being at home first leg. Hopefully Barcelona are concerned about the tie as we've proved we're a good side who are continually improving.'

The Sun 14th April 2013 - Chelsea Blaggers!

Chelsea 1 - 2 Wolves (Premier Division)

Roberto Mancini hailed Wolves second half super show and declared them fit to be champions. 'The second half would have been a joy to watch for a Wolves fan or a neutral. For me it was a nightmare. Thats probably the best 45 minutes of football you'll see all season.'

Indeed Chelsea had battered Wolves in the opening 45 minutes and were unlucky to go into the interval on level terms. Only 6 minutes had gone when Kakas threaded through ball found Rodrigo Palacio 18 yards out. Schwechlen and Taylor were far too slow to react and Palacio took full advantage sliding perfectly past Baptiste into the far corner.

It was all Chelsea from then on in, and Bradley Baptiste in the Wolves goal proved why they payed Chelsea £10m for him in January as he haunted his old club with some fine saves.

Wolves pulled level against the run of play on the half hour as a brief forray into Chelseas half bought an unexpected goal. Juan Lucas received the ball on the left but there seemed nowhere for him to go. A deft peice of trickery later and he was past Vanden Borre and racing to the byline, he fired a low cross across the 6-yard box and there was Benavente sliding in to beat Cech.

The second half was a completely different story. Walcott missed a sitter as he rounded Cech only to fire into the side netting. Then Cech made a fantastic save from Walcotts low 25-yard curler. Gav Williams then made 2 key substitutions which changed the match. Micah Richards and Mike Bull came on for the ineffectual Roberto and Walcott and within 4 minutes they were in front.

Nicolas Leiva took advantage of space on the right to float a long cross into the box, Dalla Valle headed back down and Bull fired home an unstoppable drive for the winner.

Wolves captain Steven Taylor declared 'The gaffers half-time talk and the two subs made all the difference. Credit to him for being able to turn games like that, especially at places like Stamford Bridge.'

Still got it saved mate, been travelling a lot lately but I think thats come to an end for a while so I should have the time again mate.
Cant wait to carry it on to be honest, I prefer a net game to a game on me own. Have you got your PC sorted yet?

just got paid so taking it to a shop on sat morning before the Hearts game.

booze, i know its a big ask but could you post all of your transfers, in and out, cos im thinking of starting as wolves and wouldn't mind seeing who you bought and sold, since you are doing so well. ;)