DanWalsallFC

Reaction score
skysportsbanner.jpg

WALTER WALKS!
WalterSmith1505_468x478.jpg

WALTER SMITH AFTER UEFA CUP DEFEAT

The sensational news coming from Ibrox today is that after intense talks between Walter Smith and the Rangers board, Walter Smith has decided to end his reign as Rangers manager.
The announcement was made public in a brief statement on the official Rangers website:
It is with deep sadness that we inform you all that Walter Smith has resigned from his position as manager of Rangers.

It is believed that due to Rangers tough financial state that Walter Smith and the board were no longer seeing eye to eye.
Walter Smith had this to say:
I have now left my position as Rangers manager, I leave behind me a fantastic football club with great support and I can only wish the club success going forward. That is all I will be saying on the matter at this time, thankyou.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

sportfootballbbc.jpg

RANGERS APPOINT NEW MAN

Rangers have today announced that ex-England international Daniel will take over at Rangers and has signed a 2 year contract.
This is what Daniel had to say in the press confrence:
I am very proud to be here. This is a massive football club, biggest in Scotland and one of the biggest in Britain. The club has great fans and they have a huge passion for this club.

Daniel knows the tough task ahead of him knowing that Rangers have limited resources.
Yeah the club is going through a difficult testing time at the moment and because of that I can tell you all now that there wont be any transfers into the club. At the moment we'll have to make do with what we have, which is very good. Walter [Smith] did a fantastic job here and the players are great.

He ended with a joke that he will struggle at first, due to the Glasgow accent.
I am struggling to understand people at the moment, i'll have to get used to the accent!

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

FRIENDLIES - ROUND UP
Rangers 1-1 Raith Rovers
Rangers 0-2 Queen of South
Rangers 2-0 Tranmere
Rangers 7-0 Cliftonville
Rangers 0-1 Arsenal
Rangers 0-2 Cardiff

This is what new manager Daniel had to say on the friendlies:
We played ok I thought throughout the friendlies and got through without any major injuries, apart from Steven Naismith but I am confident he'll be ready for the season opener against Falkirk.
Queen of South performance disappointed me slightly but apart from that, Cliftonville performance especially, I was really impressed.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

AUGUST 2009 ROUND UP
rangers.jpg

RANGERS GO UNBEATEN
Rangers 3-0 Falkirk
Steven Naismith '31
Steven Davis '47
Tam Scobbie '57 (OG)

Hearts 0-2 Rangers
David Weir '77
Kris Boyd '89

Rangers 2-0 Hamilton
Steven Naismith '12, '12

weirgoal.jpg

David Weirs late goal breaks Hearts

Manager Daniel was quick to heap praise on David Weir and voted him player of the month for August.
Weir was brilliant in all 3 games. He isnt young and he's certainly one of the best players in the SPL. I just hope his form continues.
I am very pleased with the games this month, we looked tidy in every game and we kept a clean sheet in all 3 games. We've had a few players out too, Kyle [Lafferty] who was our best player in the friendlies has been suspended for the first 3 SPL games but we should have him back now, he'll provide a big boost to the team.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

sportfootballbbc.jpg

RANGERS FACE TOUGH GROUP

Rangers, who were seeded 3rd in the Champions League draw are to face one of Europes best, as they face Liverpool, CSKA Moscow and Zurich.
uefa_cl_draw_1.jpg

It's a fantastic group in my opinion. Obviously we were going to get a very difficult team from the 1st seed, they are seeded 1st for a reason.
Without disrespecting CSKA Moscow we could of had a more difficult 2nd seeded side. I think the hardest thing about playing them will be the away tie.
I think we should be able to beat Zurich and I am quite confident to be honest that we'll finish 2nd. I think Liverpool are a certain 1st place but 2nd is really up for grabs and I think 10 points would do it for us.
That is what Daniel said upon seeing the draw.

They also face Scottish Division One side Morton in the Scottish League Cup 3rd round draw.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

heraldscotland.jpg

DAVID WEIR AND DANIEL
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
33445_news.jpg

'Model Pro' as Gers boss Daniel called him
By Michael Grant
Today Herald Scotland had an interview with Rangers captain David Weir and the manager, Englishman Daniel.

I sat in a quiet, empty Ibrox Stadium in the Copland Stand with Daniel and David Weir, who seem very comfortable around each other and spirits are looking high in the Rangers camp.

Daniel on facing Liverpool in 18 days:
It's going to be amazing, a tough test for me and the players. But obviously, this is where we want to be playing. We want to be playing the best.. Hopefully we can suprise them, why not? We're in good form, I cannot wait though.

David Weir had this to say:
I cant wait to get out there and play them, they are a great side with top quality world class players. I've told some of the younger lads how difficult they are from my days at Everton! I cannot wait!

Daniel on the tight budget:
Obviously it makes things a little more difficult but we all have to live within our means and if we cant afford it at the present time then that is that. We already have a great squad here anyway and for this season I think we'll be fine, I am very confident that we can win the league and I am also confident that we can get through the Champions League group.

David Weir on becoming captain:
It's such an honour to be captain of such a massive club, the biggest in Scotland. I couldnt thank the gaffer [Daniel] enough when he told me. He sat me down in his office and explained how much the club ment to every single one of the fans, from 70 year old grandads down to young kids. He then told me I am a role model to not just fans but to other footballers. He went about giving me the captaincy in a great way and I hope to repay him by putting in great performances and scoring the odd goal!

So that concluded our interview and whilst David Weir went off to train, Daniel sat me down and we had a cup of tea in his office. My first impression on the news Gers manager are very good. A warm, welcoming, friendly man.

Last edited:
good layout so far, nice detail, very good. good luck with managing rangers :D

scottishsun.jpg

KEV THOMSON SPURS BOUND?
28912_news.jpg

Spurs Target: Kevin Thomson

It is widely believed that Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is chasing Rangers midfielder Kevin Thomson and he sees now as the perfect opportunity to sign him due to Rangers precarious financial state.

Harry Redknapp had this to say: I am on the look out for a player yes, Thomson's a great player and there is interest from our side but unless Rangers want to cash in on him then thats as far as it goes as far as I am concerned.

Good layout mate you should keep a hold of Thomson for a season at least.

By the way what patch are you using?

great layout in this and intresting to see a rangers story good luck i will follow

Good layout mate you should keep a hold of Thomson for a season at least.

By the way what patch are you using?

Cheers! :D
Because my **** laptop wont connect to internet, ever.. I havent been able to get a patch for the game, but I dont mind as I have never played in the Scottish leagues before so no idea what happens or anything :D

If you need any advice pm me as i only really play as Rangers

money is usually made availible just before january so you will get something to spend on the squad although if your looking for a striker i managed to get chevanton from sevilla for free (asking price was set to 0) and he finished with 25 goals in first season so check him out

Nice layout, keep it up, you should maybe think about changing the name of your story as its boring, this would encourage more people to follow :)

Keep up the good work mate, gonna be a reader till i cant read no more LOL and agreed nice layout... shame you can't try and form a link with walsall

sportfootballbbc.jpg

RANGERS PUSH ON
_44376994_mcculloch_celeb_416.jpg

Lee McCulloch celebrating after doubling Rangers lead against Motherwell with a superb strike

People will be wondering if anybody can stop this Rangers side who seem to be playing very well under new manager Daniel.
Tonight they took on Motherwell, David Weir got his 2nd goal of the season as a defensive error from a Rangers corner led to the goal.
Lee McCulloch scored a superb goal from outside the box to make it 2-0 and an own goal by Motherwell defender Yassin Moutaouakil completed the rout.
Fernando Torres and Ruud Van Nistelrooy will both miss the game due to injuries.

Another fantastic performance by the lads tonight, was actually the first full strength side i've been able to put out as we've had injuries and suspensions. Another clean sheet too, its Liverpool next and on this form I think we can cause an upset.

Daniel also commented on the recent transfer speculation concerning Kevin Thomson:
Kev's [Thomson] going nowhere. We didnt even recieve a bid from Spurs, and if we did i'd be mad to accept it. Given that we have no money to spend, and that he is one of our best players. I would be mad to do it. I'm just glad that the transfer window is over now.
Bougherra has also attracted attention and we twice rejected bids for him. He, and nobody else at the moment are for sale.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

champions-league-logo1.jpg

RANGERS TAKE ON
5 TIME WINNERS
LIVERPOOL
Rafa.jpg

Rafa Benitez and Daniel go head to head tonight

The long wait is over and tonight, September 15th 2009 Rangers will take on Liverpool in what is being built up to be a massive game.
Liverpool sit top of the Premier League after 5 games having won 4 and drawn 1.
Rangers are top of the SPL with 4 wins in 4 games, 10 goals scored and 0 conceded.

I really do believe we have a great chance to win tonight, the lads are confident and enjoying the football. Atmosphere here is good, nobody can wait to test themselves against Liverpool.
Said Daniel Gilbert ahead of the game.

Rangers are having a good start to the season and we have to take them seriously. They have some good players and they could cause us some problems.
Said Rafa Benitez.

Rangers captain David Weir spoke ahead of tonights game too:
Its going to be a good game, we're confident.. As I am sure Liverpool are too. They're doing well in the Premier League as we are in the league too. It's a game between 2 sides on very good form.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

heraldscotland.jpg

BOUGHERRA WANTS OUT
Madjid-Bougherra-Rangers_1082291.jpg

Is he off?

It's not the news Daniel would of wanted ahead of tonights game against Liverpool but Madjid Bougherra is reportedly unhappy after Daniel rejected a £3.5 Million bid from Bordeux.
Daniel has declined to comment on it but Madjid Bougherras agent has said that his client is unhappy but hasnt put in a transfer request, he just wants his future cleared up.

My client isnt happy that Rangers have rejected a bid for Madjid [Bougherra].
He feels he may be needing a new challenge and the chance to play for Bordeux may be just what he needs, but that's all I will be saying at this stage.

Last edited:
another good update is this the group stage or the third place play off thing

glasgow Rangers champions oh oh oh .... good luck n u better beat the scum ! :L kiddon on m8

skysportsbanner.jpg

RANGERS HOLD LIVERPOOL!
Liverpool 0-0 Rangers
_44066395_whittaker.jpg

Whittaker putting in a freekick against Liverpool

Daniel can do no wrong at the moment with Rangers and is very much enjoying the start to his managerial career.
Tonight his Rangers side took on Liverpool at Anfield with the news that Fernando Torres and Ruud Van Nistelrooy were both out injured for Liverpool.
Liverpool were on top for most of the night but good defensive displays by Weir, Papac, Whittaker and Bougherra ment that the majority of Kuyts, Babels and Gerrards shots were blocked.
Although Rangers had no clear cut chances they managed to gain a point at Anfield.

Daniel was clearly delighted with the point and at the final whistle he threw his fist into the air towards the Gers fans and cheered with them.

My players tonight have done me so proud. We didnt expect to be on top for the game and we werent, playing Liverpool is one thing.. but at Anfield on a European night is another. It adds more to the game and we coped with the pressure very well. We werent brilliant and some of our passing could of been better as I think we gave too much of the ball away in midfield but we've got a point, something of which the players should all be proud of.

Liverpool saw a 10th minute goal disallowed as Voronin was offside, replays show the officials made the right decision.

Daniel also spoke of the recent transfer speculation:
I'm not here to talk about that but the fans will want to know so all i'll say is Bougherra was a little unhappy that I turned down a bid but he understands that we arent in a position to sell players and just replace them at the moment, so nothings changed. He's a good lad and always gives 100% and will continue to do so.
I dont think the boo's were fair tonight when his name was read out in the starting line up by the announcer, but unfortunately when you go public with something like that you expect it, I just hope after his fantastic performance tonight that the fans have forgiven him. I'll continue to pick him despite what people may think.

Rangers now face CSKA Moscow and Zurich in the Champions League group, before welcoming Liverpool to Ibrox.

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

sportfootballbbc.jpg

RANGERS PUSHED FOR
THE 3 POINTS
Kilmarnock 1-3 Rangers
lafferty.jpg

Super sub Kyle Lafferty

In a game that produced 4 goals, 2 shots hitting the crossbar and 10 yellow cards it was an entertaining game which Kilmarnock took a shock lead just 28 minutes in as Craig Bryson pounced on a perfect cross to slot the ball home into an empty net.
Rangers went into the dressing room at half time 1-0 down and playing poorly and by the look on Daniels face he clearly wasnt pleased at all.

In the second half Rangers played alot better as it seemed Daniels inspiring team talk had worked, Davis and Whittaker were linking up well down the wing and half time sub Kyle Lafferty was staking his claim for a starting spot in the next game.
It was Kyle Lafferty who set up the equaliser as his shot, initially saved by the Kilmarnock goalkeeper bounced straight to Kris Boyd who, from a narrow angle managed to make it 1-1.
Kyle Lafferty scored the 2nd of Rangers 3 goals as his first shot came straight back to him, he put it to the near post with a shot which should of been saved.
Kris Boyd scored another goal taking his tally to 3 goals in 5 games when Kyle Laffertys perfect header sent Kris Boyd through on goal to score on the 90th minute.

I wasnt impressed with our first half display at all, I think it was a mix of just coming back from playing Liverpool a few days before, a poor pitch and some not so good refereeing.
When you're a player and the ref is handing out yellow cards left right and centre, you dont want to tackle in fear you'll be punished for it. Some of those tackles were nothing more than a strong challenge, they got the ball.. But if a player went down he bought it and got his yellow card out.
Kyle [Lafferty] impressed me today, I thought he was the difference when he came on. He opened up the defence at every opportunity, he basically set up the first, scored the second and assisted the 3rd goal. Couldnt of asked for anything more from him, great performance.
That is what Daniel made of the game today.

We also spoke to super sub Kyle Lafferty:
Yeh I enjoyed my performance I felt I had a good game and hopefully I have proved to the boss that I am worthy of a starting place. I hadnt really been given an opportunity but that's understandable as the lads have been performing really well.
I want to be known as a super player though, not just a super sub.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

sportfootballbbc.jpg

RANGERS MEET EXPECTATIONS
Rangers 4-1 Morton
lafferty2.jpg

LAFFERTY SCORES 2 BUT MISSES FROM THE SPOT

Rangers welcomed Scottish 1st Division side Morton to Ibrox this evening as Rangers looked to meet expectations with a dominant win and get to the Quarter Finals of the League Cup.

Captain David Weir started the rout as he made Morton pay for being unable to clear a corner which came in, the Morton defenders let the ball drop in the box and Weir was there to score on the 5th minute.
Kyle Lafferty doubled Rangers lead on the 10th minute when he sprinted clear of the Morton defence, it was de ja vu for Morton fans as he sprinted through the Morton defence again on the 37th minute to score again to make it 3-0 to Rangers.
Kyle Lafferty won a penalty just 2 minutes later and there was only one person who was going to step up and take it, Lafferty himself with a chance to complete his hattrick, but he put it straight down the middle and Morton goalkeeper Kevin Cuthbert was able to make a save.
Morton midfielder Allan Jenkins scored an own goal 1 minute before half time as Pedro Mendes shot took a nasty deflection.
4-0 at half time.
It was a case of 'as you were' in the second half as Rangers were on top for the majority of the game.
Morton grabbed a consolation on the 88th minute as Steven Masterton scored a low well driven freekick to Neil Alexanders bottom left, the Rangers 2nd choice goalkeeper handed his first appearance of the season by Daniel and will be happy with his display.
Man of the Match: Steven Masterton (Morton)

I thought we played well in the first half and I would of liked to have added to our 4-0 lead in the second half but it wasnt to me, well done to Morton who never gave up and scored a good freekick near the end.
Rangers manager Daniel.

Last edited:
skysportsbanner.jpg

RANGERS WIN
YET AGAIN
Rangers 1-0 Aberdeen
boyd.jpg

Kris Boyd celebrating the only goal of the game

A windy day in Glasgow didnt even look like upsetting Rangers great start to the season as they beat Aberdeen 1-0 to silence Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee who, before the game had said that his side would end Rangers unbeaten run and that they still have a lot of work to do.
Kris Boyd scored a great curler from 25 yards out to put the Gers 1-0 up after 14 minutes.
Bougherra in particular was keeping Aberdeen at bay by using the offside trap to stop 26 year old Aberdeen striker Lee Miller, who has yet to score in his first 6 SPL games.

We played well, we never looked like letting a goal in to be honest. Bougherra played very well and we know how good Lee Miller is, but we also knew we'd stop them by using the offside trap. It worked today and I am pleased to get a victory against a good SPL side like Aberdeen. I just hope now we've changed the views of a certain someone from the opposition today.
Said Daniel, refusing to openly critisise Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

boo hiss boo na kiddding great result against liverpool and killlie

Haha I didnt think you'd like that result :D
Yeh, I was very pleased with Liverpool result in particular!