Friday, 17 November 2023

11:03am

"Silva, you got a minute?" I said. We were between drills and he just happened to be standing next to me.

"Ja, Enrico," Amilcar Silva said. He bent down, rolled his socks down then took out his shin pads. It was remarkably warm for the middle of November so everyone was in shorts and long sleeve shirts. Then he straightened up. "What's up."

"The words I heard bouncing around the Fritz-Walter is you're a bit unhappy that Jean got a contract but you didn't get one."

"Ja, well I had been thinking about asking for a new contract," Silva said. "But it means a lot that you've taken the time to check in with me. I'm good. Thanks, Enrico."

"Of course," I said.

He jogged off to get a water bottle.

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.43.04 PM.png

need-coffee-now.png
Monday, 20 November 2023

8am

"How was everyone's weekend off?" I asked. I took a sip of my espresso and waited.

"F***ing great," Jörg said eventually.

"Ja, fine," Ulf Kirsten added.

Everyone else just kind of grunted, nodded or shrugged.

"Clearly, you're not motivated enough," I said. "Where's the excitement to be back at work? What you all need is more caffeine. We face Leipzig this week and we need the players motivated to face them. So I guess that the beatings will continue until morale improves."

"Leipzig are in a tough spot," Chief Scout Olaf Marschall said to break the strange silence that settled after my attempt at a joke. "This might be a great time to face them. Many of their players will just have gotten back from international duty and they visit Barcelona on Tuesday in the Champion's League. So between the jet lag and tired legs from international duty, they'll be worried about Tuesday and keeping their Champion's League hopes alive. They've won two and lost two in the Champion's League so Tuesday's match is pretty important."

"So we can expect some rotation this coming Saturday," Olaf continued. "They play a 4-2-3-1 most often but will play a 3-5-2 with wing backs on the road. They are 8th in the league. Four wins, three draws and four losses. They've scored 17 and conceded 8. They beat Schalke 1-0 in the last match but drew with Hertha in the prior one. Generally, they are strong and fast at all positions and, not withstanding the effects of international duty and the upcoming Barcelona match, should be tough opponents for us. The thing we should probably be ready for is their speed down the flanks."

"Thanks, Olaf," I said. "So this week I want to focus on the team cohesion. With Boris Tomiak injured and Jean Zimmer suspended for yellow card accumulation, I want the team ready to play without two of our most important players. Additionally, I want extra sessions on finishing because we simply must score on the chances we are given. Alright, lets talk through our training sessions for the week."

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 2.28.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 2.29.39 PM.png

Leipzig had the ball in the back of our net with 1:43 on the clock. They crossed in from a free kick out left and Ainsley Maitland-Niles flicked the ball in at the near post. Amilcar Silva barely marked him and just watched him score.

But we were saved by VAR! The goal was ruled out for offsides. We are really missing Boris Tomiak organizing the defense.

I got Silva's attention and told him to pay attention and mark his man.

But they got the ball across the line again in the 15th minute and it counted. The lobbed a long ball into our right corner for their speedy winger Martin Damsgaard to chase. Matej Mach is quick, too, so he closed him down. Damsgaard exchanged passes with another midfielder and Mach let him cross towards the penalty spot.

Molla Wagué and Josua Mejias didn't react quickly and their striker got to the cross first and poked the ball past Avdo Spahic.

0-1

F***! We've got to close down their wingers and anticipate their crosses better. I got Molla's attention and told him we've got to close down the wingers better and deal with their crosses better.

In the 23rd minute, Oliver Batista-Meier played a through ball for Omar Shakur. The Leipzig keeper caught the ball outside of the box then stepped back into the box.

"HAND BALL! HAND BALL!" I yelled as I sprinted over to the fourth official. "The keeper was out of the box!"

"Calm down, Enrico," the fourth official said. "VAR is reviewing."

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 2.48.40 PM.png

The ref never stopped play. F***ing ridiculous! Why have VAR if not to make calls like this one?

We created a chance in the 36th minute, Mejias lobbed a long ball up towards Shakur Omar. Shakur flicked it upfield and Muhammed Kiprit anticipated the flick and was in on goal. As the defenders sprinted back and were catching him, Muhammed tried to lob the keeper. Unfortunately, he didn't get enough height on his chip and it was an easy save.

Billy Arce played in Shakur in the 41st minute, but he blasted wide.

Molla Wagué was having a stinker of a match so I replaced him at halftime with Oliver Hüsing.

In the 50th, Julian Niehues gave away the ball inside our box. Thankfully, his teammates made some desperate saving tackles and eventually cleared the ball. Bullet dodged!

In the 53rd, Billy set up Shakur again but he blasted high and wide from the top of the box. I started to worry that Shakur was wearing the wrong boots today.

Then in the 63rd, Leipzig got a second goal. They were passing the ball around just outside our box. Our positioning was good and we were bottling them up. But then Leipzig's provider from their first goal, Damsgaard, unleashing a tomahawk missile from 30m that nearly ripped the net from the posts.

0-2

S***! Not much you can do about that kind of strike.

Billy was tiring so I moved Oliver from central midfield out to the wing and sent on Rene Klingenburg.

My sub paid dividends in the 75th. We were pressing for a goal and eventually broke them down. Klingy got us back into the game.

1-2

Klingy and Ritter invented a new celebration in which they bow. Maybe they'd seen it somewhere. It was weird because they weren't bowing to each other or anything.

Leipzig's superior quality shone through for the remainder of the match as they kept the ball and pressed us really hard when we had the ball. Additionally, our passing wasn't great.

Oh, well. Maybe next time Shakur will wear his shooting boots.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 9.20.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 9.20.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 1.42.23 PM.png
Pucci_interview.png

"Tough home loss, ja, Enrico?"

"Wow. so many of you here. Thanks for showing up. Any home loss is tough to take. We weren't defending very well in the first half. Not pressuring the ball in the midfield, not sticking close to their wingers. poorly organized. Ja, the beginning of the match was tough to watch."

"How bad are you missing Boris Tomiak?"

"Clearly, we are missing Boris. Oliver stepped in and played well so at least there is that."

"Would you comment on substituting Molla Wagué at the midway point?"

"Not much to say. My actions speak for themselves."

"Would you care to comment about the Leipzig keeper's handball?"

"Not really. The ref didn't see it. The VAR official didn't see it when he looked at the replays. I was able to see it on a rain-splattered iPad that Jörg shoved in front of my face. I'm not sure that had much of an impact on the match. Its rather hard to score from free kicks that close in anyways. The bigger story is our inability to finish."

"It was Joachim Lowe's first match in charge. How much influence did that have?"

"Our inability to finish our chances played a much larger role. But, ja, I'm sure the players wanted to impress their new boss. They played well."

"You are still at the opposite end of the table than where the experts predicted. Please comment."

"Ja, its nice to play under the pressure of competing at the top of the table instead of fighting for our survival. Pressure is still pressure and we need break out of our scoring slump. I think everyone, fans, staff and players, are all excited about what the rest of the season might bring."

"There seems to be a growing discontent at your reluctance to play in a direct manner as you promised the team would. What is your response to that?"

"Sorry, who are you?"

"Florian Ulrich of the Leipzig Fußball Zeit."

"Hi, Florian. Nice to meet you. First time at a Kaiserslautern match?"

"Uh ... well ... ja."

"Welcome. Rather than give you the whole history lecture, I'll just say that this club was in 3.Liga two years ago. We flirted with insolvency before I arrived. We've won each division to get back where we belong. I'm not sure who your source is that any supporters or that my board are unhappy. I got booed the other week because we were terrible and deserved the ridicule, but thats about it. We play the match in the best manner in which we can win it. If that's on the counter, we do that. If thats and end-to-end slugfest, we do that. So I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Wolfsburg have been the big story for all the wrong ..."

"Sorry, I don't want to discuss other clubs today," I interjected. "I'm going to head inside and talk to my players. Thanks for coming ..."

Sunday, 26 November 2023

5:15pm

"Ciao, Enrico."

"Hallo, Enrico, Its Niklas Boll."

"Hey, Niklas. How's it going?"

"Is this a good time?"

"Ja, sure."

"Hoffenheim fired Sebastian Hoeneß today. Rumor is that you're their top target. Would you care to comment?"

"Ja, I saw they fired him during the halftime show. What do the odds-makers say are my odds?"

"No idea, Enrico. I think its a bit early for that."

"Oh."

"Your comment please?"

"Well, I guess I have several things to say. First, we higher up than them in the table. Long term, we're a bigger club and we have a larger stadium. In the bigger picture, Kaiserslautern are better off with a bigger supporter base. Also, I'm having fun. We've built something special here and I want to see where it can go."

"Thanks, Enrico. That's all I need for a story. Talk to you later."

"Ciao."

Click.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 9.58.25 AM.png

Coffee_stupid_questions.jpg
Monday, 27 November 2023

8am

"Alright, lets start with you today, Agnieszka," I said, pointing at her with my espresso.

"Well, congrats on the link to Hoffenheim?" she said.

Everyone turned back to look at me. I just rolled my eyes. She and everyone else kept looking at me expecting an answer.

"F*** them. Nobody likes them and I'm having too much fun with you nutjobs," I replied.

"Alright," Agnieszka said. "I think we speak for everyone that we're glad you're staying."

"You all know I'm going to be linked with every opening, right?" I said. "I'm the hot commodity. Just ignore it all. Seriously."

"Okay," Agnieszka shrugged. "I just bet we read about it on Twitter first and then you're not here the next morning."

"Sweet Mary Mother of God," I said in Italian shaking my head.

"I love it when you swear in Italian," Agnieszka said. "Fine. I'm happy now, you've sworn in Italian. I'll lay off. Okay, injury update: Boris is still weeks away. That's it. The rest is just your usual mid-season aches and pains."

"Thanks, Agnieszka," I said. "Next up is our defense. What the f***, Jörg and Lorenzo."

"F*** that s***," Jörg said. Lorenzo nodded enthusiastically.

"We miss Boris, ja, but too many players make so many errors," Lorenzo said. "I think you say last week that beatings continue until morale improve, ja? Well beatings continue until ball-watching go away."

"What he said," Jörg added. "Our concentration is s***."

"Well, you guys know what to do," I said.

Jörg slammed his fist into his hand to indicate what he was going to do. Also he scowled. Between the two of them, the defenders were going to have a rough week in training.

I turned to look at Ulf Kirsten.

"Ja, I know I know," he said. "We'll keep working on variations of the same thing. At some point our finishing is going get better. I'm not going to threaten them with violence." He nodded towards Jörg and Lorenzo. "But I will frown a lot and swear. I promise."

"Alright, now that that's all sorted," I said. "Olaf, what can we expect from FC Nürnberg?"

Thursday, 30 November 2023

9:21am

I heard the yelp, I spun towards the sound. Avdo Spahic lay sprawled on the turf. He curled up into fetal position, clutching his right ankle.

"F***!" I moaned as I started jogging over.

Avdo started whacking the ground in pain. The two goalkeeping coaches knelt beside him.

"Anyone hear a pop?" I asked as I arrived.. Sprains pop, breaks don't.

Goalkeeping coaches Wolfgang Wimmer and Jan-Paul Conradi both shook their heads no.

I texted ATK to bring the meat wagon.

We got him sitting up and sprayed his ankle with the magic freezy spray. He looked like he was in shock.

Both Boris and Avdo out?

Kaiserslautern are f***ed.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.36.43 AM.png

axel-call.png
Friday, 1 December 2023

3:15pm

My phone vibrates. I look at it. It vibrates again. This makes no sense. Why would he be calling?

It vibrates again.

"Ciao, Enrico."

"Good afternoon, Enrico," the deep voice intones. "How are you?"

"I'm good, Alex."

"I bet you'd never hear from me again, ja?"

"You have that right. I am rather in shock."

"No hard feelings about how that played out, right?"

"No. No hard feelings. The board made the decision. I don't blame them. I didn't deliver."

"That's good to hear, Enrico. Good to hear."

"So why are you calling, Alex?"

"I'm sure you saw the news that Pál Dárdai left us for Wolfsburg."

Eintracht Frankfurt had just gotten spanked by Bochum and were booed off the pitch by the traveling supporters. Dárdai saw the writing on the wall and had taken up Wolfsburg's offer before Eintracht could fire him.

"I did."

"So here I am, hat in hand so to speak. On bended knee ..."

"Ja."

"Well, I've always been a fan of yours. I wanted to give you another season."

"Ja. Sorry, I'm still in shock that you've called."

"Can we talk?"

Here's the situation. Eintracht had sold off pretty much all the players who'd underperformed for me. I have to admit that I was pretty impressed by the quality of players they'd fielded against us. I could get Kaiserslautern to where Eintracht are right now in four or five seasons. Eintracht are swimming in money and had underperformed for years now. This was why I'd signed on for them in the first place; the potential. If someone were going to challenge Bayern other than Dortmund, Eintracht had the most potential.

"Ja, Alex. Lets talk."

"How about tomorrow night?"

"I would be free around ten."

"At Machiavelli's. I'll get a private table."

"Ja, Ciao."

Click.

I stared at my phone for a minute in disbelief and in inner turmoil.

Do I really want to do this?

200810-r-xl-lamb-rogan-josh.jpg
Friday, 1 December 2023

7ish pm

"So that's the situation," I said in conclusion and picked up my fork.

"Well my Italian-American bundle of drama, you certainly have yourself a situation," Gwen said fiddling with her Rogan Josh.

"Do we have to move?" Matthew asked.

"Here's the thing, Matthew, Daddy hasn't decided what he's going to do, yet," Gwen explained.

"Oh," Matthew said.

"Can we move to Paris?" Allison asked.

"Don't talk with your mouth full, love," Gwen chided.

"But can we?" she asked again.

"That'd be a really long commute," I muttered to my plate.

"What's a commute?" Allison asked.

"Every day I drive from here to the Fritz-Walter," I said. "After we're done with training and any meetings I have, I drive home. That's commuting. Its a fancy word for driving to work and back."

She pretended to feed some of her dinner to her doll.

"Yeah ... so I don't know what I want to do," I said.

"What does your heart say?" Gwen asked. "You weren't happy there or at Lazio. Are you happy at Kaiserslautern?"

I took a bite and chewed on it.

"Well ... on the one hand, I'm getting the maximum out of my current squad," I said after I'd swallowed. "To take the next step with Kaiserslautern, I need better fullbacks ... and ... maybe Matej Mach can develop into what i need. I need a big, strong midfielder to partner Ritter or his eventual successor Oliver. I need fast, dangerous wingers. I need to sign Omar or find someone similar and I need someone to partner him."

"Eintracht are underperforming. They have a great defense, their central midfielders are everything I'd want. They have fast, dangerous wingers. Great keeper, better than Spahic. A really great strike force. They have ... right now ... what I want to build Kaiserslautern into."

"Wasn't that the lesson your learned on the Arctic hike?" Gwen asked.

"Yeah."

"What's an arctic?" Allison asked.

"The frozen north," Gwen replied. "Sweden, Norway, Canada, Finland, Russia."

"The north pole," Matthew added.

"Santa!" Allison exclaimed.

"Santa isn't real," Matthew said.

"Are you so sure?" I said.

Matthew rolled his eyes.

"Why are you worried, Daddy?" Allison asked.

"Because if I'm under a lot of pressure, I'm grumpy all the time," I said.

"You are a grumpy wumpy mumpy," Allison said pointing her spoon at me.

"Remember what you used to say about type two fun?" Gwen said.

"Yeah, I don't talk about that much anymore, do I?"

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 3.10.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 3.11.47 PM.png

Nürnberg scored in the 3rd minute from a corner. The corner was delivered to the center at the 5m box. Julian Krahl stayed rooted to his line and four defenders let the Nürnberg player have a free header. Avdo Spahic would have snared it or, at the least, punched it clear.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.53.43 PM.png

1-0

I checked to make sure I was still wearing pants. I was. Nightmarish defending, though.

And they were up by two in the 17th minute. The Nürnberg forward had his back to goal. They played a pass up to him. He just rolled Josua Mejias, ran in on goal and blasted past Krahl.

2-0

"G*d@mn m*therf***ing s***biscuits!" I swore to myself. "F***ing nightmare."

We somehow made it to halftime without giving up any more. Honestly, it was a miracle.

"WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT S***!" I bellowed once everyone was in the team room at halftime. All the coaches and Agnieszka were behind me glowering at the squad. "THAT WAS F***ING EMBARRASSING! SORT IT OUT!"

Then we retreated into the tiny manager's office.

We started out the second half better. We had nothing to lose so I could tell that the players were going all out.

We finally got our breakthrough in the 58th minute.

Matej Mach and Harry Chapman had a nice passing interplay down the left flank. At the end of it Harry made a run to the end line, but didn't have any good options so he passed back to Matej who raced passed his defender and sent in a second post header.

Omar Shakur cushioned in a header.

2-1

I screamed (mostly incoherently) to encourage them and pump them up.

Then in the 64th, Matej fed a pass inside to Marlon Ritter. Ritter dribbled into the box and, since nobody closed him down, had time to line up his shot and curl it into the far corner.

2-2

That's more like it.

The two halfs were mirrors of each other. They had the first, we dominated the second.

Unfortunately, that third goal wouldn't come.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.43.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.43.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Machiavelli_Frankfurt.jpg
Saturday, 2 December 2023

10pm

I shook hands with Axel, Managing Director Markus Kröschke, and General Manager Ben Manga.

"You used to come here regularly," Axel said as we sat down. "Didn't you?"

"We still drive up here on occasion," I replied.

"Nice comeback today," Markus said.

"Ja, it was. Thanks."

"Well, we're pretty impressed with what you've done at Kaiserslautern," Axel said. "Saved a founding member of the DFB and brought them back to the Bundesliga."

"What do you think about coming back?" Markus asked.

"I wouldn't have to move," I said. "So that's just one less thing for me to worry about. I'm here because I like your squad. Your squad is where I want to get Kaiserslautern except I wouldn't have to wait three to five years. Your squad should be challenging Bayern."

The waiter arrived and we placed our orders.

"So why aren't we challenging Bayern?" Axel asked.

"That is a complicated answer," I said. "First, I feel required to say that I have no idea what the squad thought of Pál Dárdai. What I do know is I use a different system than Pál did. On offense, my system is designed around creating and exploiting overloads. Defensively, its about defending in layers. I took a year off after I got the sack and thought through how I do everything. I've changed as a person and as a manager."

"So you think our squad is superior," Ben said. "But we only beat you because of the ref. Do you think you can get our squad playing above their level, as you say?"

"Ja, that's the gamble with bringing me back, isn't it?" I said. "I'm confident I can replicate my success at Kaiserslautern with you."

"Why didn't you succeed here before?" Axel asked.

"That's what I spent a year thinking about," I replied.

"Tell us more about overloads," Axel said.

"My new system does a better job of creating and exploiting overloads. Two on ones on the flanks, late runs that are nearly impossible to defend, and moving the ball quickly. Defensively, I make sure we have few one against one scenarios and the opponent always has to get through multiple defenders. Making sure there are no overloads. I also run my trainings slightly differently so that the players learn to see the overloads and understand instinctively how to exploit them or prevent them."

"Why are Kaiserslautern so difficult to beat?" Markus asked. "You only had that one bad loss to ... um ... Freiburg?"

"Ja, that Freiburg match was bad," I said. "I have a squad full of players who were cast aside or never got a chance. They are hungry and desperate."

"Can you get our squad playing that way?" Markus asked.

"I think I can. While they aren't castoffs, nobody can match FC Hollywood. I'm pretty good at motivating my players, I think I can use Bayern's level of sustained success as the mountain top we need to aim for. Clearly, I'd use the rest of the season to determine what players I can count on. To see where we are squad-wise."

"What about working with me?" Ben said.

"I think we had a good working relationship when you were Chief Scout. I don't see why that wouldn't continue in your new role."

Our food arrived.

We talked more generally about Fußball but it would occasionally wander back to the problems and challenges that Eintracht Frankfurt faced.

"Thanks for the lovely dinner, guys," I said. "Thanks for the opportunity."

"Ja, and thanks for meeting with us, Enrico," Axel said. "We'll be in touch."

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 7.36.27 AM.png
Monday, 4 December 2023

8am

"Happy Monday," I said as I sat down with my espresso.

Everyone just stared at me.

"What?"

Jörg held his iPad in front of me. The Stuttgarter Zeitung said I interviewed for the Eintracht Frankfurt position. He swiped sideways. Die Welt said the same. He swiped through several other articles.

"I told you there were going to be lots of articles," I said.

"Well?" Jörg said.

"I'm not leaving you all for Eintracht," I said. It was true. I'd thought all Sunday about it and decided. They probably weren't going to make me an offer anyways. "We have a lot of work to do here."

"Ja, like preparing for Stuttgart this coming Saturday," Olaf Marschall said, saving me. "Our neighbors are in thirteenth. They have one win in their last five and have drawn the last two. They play a standard 4-2-3-1. They are a big, strong, and fast squad. They should be doing far better than they are currently doing ... at least on paper. But that's the thing about Stuttgart, they never live up to their potential. Its not complex. We need to play our game. We're home so we'll have the Westkurv cheering us on. We just need to impose ourselves on them."

"Thanks, Olaf," I said. "Agnieszka?"

"Boris is still about two weeks away," she replied. "That's about it. Plenty of aches and pains but nothing else serious."

"Thanks," I said. "Lets figure out our training sessions for the week."

Wednesday, 6 December 2023

Matej Mach and Marlon Ritter made the Team of the Week!

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 6.06.50 PM.png

Friday, 8 December 2023

Here's the preview of Kaiserslautern's future. We need wing backs, wingers, center backs and central midfielders. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bumper crop.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.39.32 PM.png

Friday, 8 December 2023

9:01am

We're just starting our first set of training drills. My phone buzzes. Its my agent Luca.

"I've got to take this," I say to Ulf Kirsten. He nods.

"Ciao, Enrico."

"Enrico, how are you this morning?" Luca asked.

"You know me, always busy."

"I have good news and bad news. Depending upon how you look at it."

"You're such a court jester, Luca. Its Eintracht, right?"

"No, its Hoffenheim. They want to interview you. They have expressed their admiration for your work at Kaiserslautern and believe you'll be the perfect fit for them."

"Ha, no. Not interested."

"But, yes, its about Eintracht, too. Let's be honest. If they haven't reached out by now, they're negotiating with someone else."

"That's fine. I don't want it anyways. I'll be staying here."

"And that's the good news, Enrico. You'll be staying at Kaiserslautern."

"Smart @$$," I said. "Alright, I gotta go."

"Ciao."

"Ciao."

Click.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.45.48 PM.png

Friday, 8 December 2023

12:15pm

I stand up from the lunch table, tray in hand when my phone buzzes. I set my tray down and fish my phone out of my pocket.

"Ciao, Enrico."

"How was your lunch?" Luca asks.

"Delicious," I repied. "The chefs here are really good. You don't usually call to check on my lunch, though, Luca."

"No, its called small talk, you ignorant buffoon. I have news, though."

"I figured."

"Eintracht called. You're interview was unsuccessful."

"I just love how personal it is. Who did you talk to?"

"Someone named Ben."

"Ja, that's the General Manager. The board tells the General Manager who calls the agent who tells the applicant the answer is no. So impersonal, so German."

"Don't tell me you're sore about it?" Luca said.

"No, its just that the Chairman called me saying he wanted me back. Its just interesting dynamics."

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 11.25.53 PM.png

Friday, 8 December 2023

12:31pm

I'm in my office. I'd just beginning reading through scouting reports. My phone buzzes, its Gwen.

"Hi, Gwe..."

"OhMyGodYouWillNotBelieveWhatJustHappened. IjustGotaCallFromMyAgentTheyWantMe2BeInHotFuzz2. IcannotBelieveIt."

"You're going to need to breathe, I can't und..."

"OhMyGodIknowIamTotallyFreakingTheF***outOverThisIcannotBelieveThatIamGoingToBeInaMovieHolyS***."

"You're going to need to slow down," I said. "I can barely understand you."

"Simon Frost. Neil Pegg. They ... they ... they want me in their movie."

"Wow. That's amazing. I can tell you're incredibly excited. You even got their names flipped."

"Huh?"

"Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Edgar Wright?"

"Right them. Comedy geniuses. I just got the script to read through."

"What's the role?"

"Uh, sexy assistant who works at the station."

"Oh. Uh ... cool."

"Let's face it. They probably want me in it for me legs and willingness to wear low cut blouses."

"Uh ..."

"Most of the world has seen me in knickers."

"Yeah ... that's true." My mind flashes back to coming out of the Tube in London to see a 15m wide picture of Gwen reclining in a two piece bikini plastered on the wall. "This could be a cool, new dimension to your career."

Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 11.03.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 11.06.02 AM.png

Shakur Omar and Rene Klingenburg take shots in the 6th and 11th minutes, but its not until the 14th that Omar nearly scores with a bullet just outside of the post.

Julian Krahl makes a diving save from a long distance shot in the 17th minute.

In the 36th, Muhammed Kiprit put the ball in the back of the net, but he was offside.

And that was it for the first half. We had more possession but couldn't do anything with it.

In the 49th, we couldn't defend a long throw in our right corner. A Stuttgart player flicked the throw on and Asier Villalibre had the easiest of tap-ins at the second post.

0-1

Josua Mejias and Julian Niehues were utterly flummoxed by the flick on. Krahl stayed rooted to his line when it would have been easy to step out and snare the flick.

In the 53rd, the Stuttgart keeper robbed Marlon Ritter. Marlon's shot from just inside the box was destined for the upper corner until their keeper got a fingertip to it.

Their keeper saved Marlon's 30m free kick in the 56th.

Billy Arce wasn't playing well so I replaced him in the 60th with Harry Chapman.

Omar headed high from a Jean Zimmer cross in the 65th minute.

We were undone a minute later, but VAR saved us. Inigo Cordoba was offside and the goal didn't count.

We fell apart again in the 71st, but this time it counted. Zimmer had drifted inside to play auxiliary center back and Chapman was caught ball-watching. The Stuttgart fullback had plenty of time to pick out a second post cross to a wide open Cordoba and this time it counted.

0-2

F***!

I replaced Klingenburg with Alf Alten. Klingy was stinky so why not give the kid a few minutes.

In the 74th, their fullback was dribbling down our left flank when he pulled up with a hamstring injury. Matej Mach retrieved the ball and we moved the ball upfield despite protests from the Stuttgart players to kick it out. Eventually, Zimmer curled in a far post cross and Kiprit nodded it home.

1-2

The Stuttgart players surrounded the ref demanding he call it off. He waved their protests away.

Omar was exhausted so I replaced him with Oliver Batista-Meier. Oliver played as a left winger.

We pressed and pressed, but couldn't generate any good chances.

Finally, a bad ricochet in the 90th minute presented Chapman with a goal scoring opportunity at the top of the box, but he shot tamely wide.

In the 94th, Chapman crossed and Oliver's header hit a defender and trickled wide of the post.

Oliver Hüsing's header from the corner floated high and that was it. Another disappointing loss.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 1.04.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 1.04.11 PM.png