Enrico_interview.png

"That takes you top," Dennis Friedel of Sport Buzzer said. "You must be please with that."

"Absolutely," I replied. "And we did it in style with a late winner. Very pleased. Now we have to work hard to stay here."

"You must be delighted with Mike Wunderlich's contribution from the bench?" Jakob Böttcher from Kaiserslautern Express said.

"Its only a couple times per season that a manager's substitutes have maximum impact and make you look like a genius," I said. "Mike works hard in training and its great to have his experience, vision and guile available to me."

"And Zuck," Böttcher followed up.

"Ja, how about that?" I said. "He was everywhere, wasn't he? He reads the game so well. We've been working on him playing in central midfield and would you look at this impact. Splendid."

"Many were skeptical, me included, when you signed Osayamen Osawe," Böttcher said. "He hadn't scored much in his previous stint at the club. What are you doing differently?"

"When I look at Osawe," I said. "I see a fast, athletic player who is determined. His running off the ball is great and Ulf has been working hard with him. The numbers bear this out. Four goals and four assists in eleven matches. He is doing what I expected him to do."

"What was wrong with Kiprit today?" Florian Carre of OneFootball asked.

"Ja, I don't know. I mean I can't take him off because he only needs one chance with that left foot of his. Everyone knows he's hot so they pay extra close attention to him. This means other players can exploit that even if he's having a bad day at the office, so to speak."

"Is he undroppable?" Carre asked.

"Not if he keeps playing like today," I replied.

"What about Emilio Kehrer's goal," Nklas Boll of Kicker asked.

"Man, that well taken. What can I say. Neal Gibs gave him an inch and wham."

"You spoke earlier of stay up top, would you expand on that?" Carre asked.

"Ja, sure. We are aiming for automatic promotion this season. We are finally coming together. It took a while because I didn't really have a preseaon. My players are starting to believe. I think we're in good shape to push on and get promotion. Alright, thanks guys, I'm going to head up the tunnel."

Sunday, 17 October 2021

We were still at the Frankfurt Zoo when the 1860 München v Mannheim match kicked off. I kept sneaking peeks at my phone. Die Löwen scored early (first minute) and often. An ideal scenario was a draw, but second best was a 1860 win.

Also, the zoo was fun and the police, firefighters and police tactical units were not needed.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.28.11 AM.png

Monday, 18 October 2021

8am

We were about to start our meeting when Gisela came bounding into the cafeteria.

"I have good news, very good news," she exclaimed. "The Stuttgart match has been moved to Tuesday from Wednesday. And ... this is the best part ... they are estimating TV revenue will be 575,000. Combine that with a full Fritz-Walter and ..." She just trailed off.

We all cheered.

A big pay day like this means everything for a struggling club like ours.

"Thanks Gisela," I said to her retreating back. "Well, do we want to alter our training for this week to accomodate the big pay day?"

"I think its about right," Ulf Kirsten said. "We're working on wing play, overlaps and direct attacking."

"Defense work good," added Lorenzo D'Anna. Jörg just pointed at Lorenzo, smiled and nodded.

Everybody else was just nodding.

"Anybody got anything they want to bring up?" I asked. Everybody just looked at everybody else. I guess that was a no. "Anything to report ATK?"

"We are shockingly healthy," Agnieszka replied. "Most of the players who played yesterday came in for massage, Kiprit and Lukimyha got adjusted by the chiropractor and Redondo and Zimmer got acupuncture. The cryo-tubs were popular."

"I guess I'm next," Florian said. "Duisburg are fourteenth in the table. They've scored ten, given up fourteen. They've lost four straight so this is probably a perfect time to visit. Also, one win in their last seven. They play an old school four-four-two. They will play balls over the top, their crossing is not very effective or dangerous. They tend to give up early goals and have been extremely unlucky lately. Two own goals in their last four matches, one of them was a 1-0 loss."

Last edited:
Wednesday, 20 October 2021

2pm

"Thanks for meeting with me guys," I said.

"How can we help?" Chief Scout Olaf Marschall said.

Technical Director Thomas Hengen and the rest of the scouting team Florian, Vincente, Christophe Jeannot, and Tobias Harst were all crammed into Olaf's office.

"I want to start our search for next year," I said. "We have thirteen players in the squad whose contracts end in June. I'm going to make a huge assumption here. I want you guys to look for players that can help us get promoted from 2.Bundesliga into the Bundesliga. I'm making the assumption that we're going to get into the second division and I want you all to search for players who can get us that next promotion."

"Furthermore, I want you to assume that all of our current starters will become back-ups. My experience is that we need to prepare like we need to build the team from scratch to get to that next level. I will not consider how much I personally like the current players. We all know they are great guys, hard-working professionals who are giving everything to the cause. We have to be ruthless in our assessment of their abilities. They will get a chance to step up, but the pressure is on them and I want competition at every position.

"Finally, I want to apologize in advance, but I'm going to attempt to work you all to death over these next six months."

"I glanced over you're email," Olaf said. "Shall we review it in detail now?"

"Yes," I replied. "And one more thing. Let's assume at this point we won't have any money and they'll have to be free signings or loans."

I reviewed the characteristics I want for each position:
Central defenders
Wing backs
Central midfielders
Wingers
Forwards

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.02.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.02.19 AM.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.01.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.01.52 AM.png
    85 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.03.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.03.00 AM.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.03.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.03.25 AM.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.04.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.04.04 AM.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 50
Thursday, 21 October 2021

9:49am

"Ahhhhggghhhh!" Hendrick Zuck screamed.

"F***!" I exclaimed. Julian Niehues had caught Zuck with a late tackle.

"S***!" Ulf Kirsten exclaimed at the same instant. He caught him on his planted foot.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Julian apologized. "Oh f***. Oh, no. Oh, f***!"

I texted "HELP" in all caps to ATK. Then I texted "drive cart" to her.

"No, stay down Zuck," I said as he tried to get up. "Just lay there. Agnieszka is on her way."

Everyone knew from the sound of the collision that his leg was broken.

"Breath, just concentrate on your breathing," Ulf advised.

Other players were consoling Julian who was just about in tears. He kept mumbling apologies.

We all heard the whine of ATK driving the electdric cart out. Within a moment she'd confirmed the obvious.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 12.49.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Friday, 22 October 2021

11:54am

"Oh s***," I said to Jörg. "Here comes ATK. I have a bad feeling about this."

ATK flopped down in a chair at our table in the cafeteria. She heaved a massive sigh.

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news," she said. "But Zimmer said he felt a little something during training ..."

"F***," I muttered.

"... but didn't think it was anything so he didn't stop ..."

"S***," Jörg exclaimed.

"... but Zimmer has gone and pulled his other groin."

"I'm almost too frightened to ask, but how long is he out?" I asked.

"A week or so," she replied.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.11.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.47.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.49.18 PM.png
We drove up north again. Duisberg is east of Dortmund and east of Essen. Since it was only a three and a half hour drive, we drove up in the morning. A fairly large contingent of Roten Teufels also made the trek. In the vicinity of 3.5K. This was our biggest away support, yet. The bandwagon is growing.
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 3.15.50 PM.png

I was screaming at the ref inside a minute.

Osayamen Osawe took off up the left wing. He blew past their right back so the guy did the only thing you can do to stop Osawe, took his legs out.

"That's a card!" I bellowed.

The ref stood in the middle of the pitch and pointed. He was only pointing. No reaching for his shirt pocket.

"How is that not a card?" I yelled at the fourth official as I ran up.

As usual he ignored me. F***ing refs.

In the 14th minute, Muhammed Kiprit played Osawe in. He wired a shot against the base of the post.
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 3.37.31 PM.png

In the 20th minute, the Duisberg right back rugby tackled Mike Wunderlich. When the ref only pointed to indicate the foul, I walked over to the fourth official and asked why that wasn't a card. No response at all.

Marlon Ritter curled in a nice looking free kick and Assani Lukimya smashed his volley past the keeper.

0-1

Alright fine. I'll exchange no cards for a goal.

At halftime I told them to show why we're the top team in the division.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 3.41.03 PM.png
In the 49th minute, Boris Tomiak saved us.

They lobbed a corner into the mixer. They had six guys all in front of the goal. One of them headed goalward. It was going in. Tomiak reached out and cleared it off the line.

That's as good as scoring in my book.

Minutes later, Ritter intercepted a cross field pass.

He quickly zipped a pass upfield to Kiprit. Everyone in the stadium saw Osawe turn on his jets
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 3.49.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 3.49.33 PM.png

Most importantly, Kiprit saw him and chipped a ball into the acres of space in front of him.

I'm not sure anyone in this division I've seen is as fast as him.

He left the last defender well behind.

He sprinted into the box with the ball.

He froze the keeper with a drop of his shoulder.

He slid a pass into the far side netting.

0-2

It was all over in the 60th minute.

We had a throw deep in their half. Left back Neal Gibs threw it to Ritter who returned it to him. Gibs smashed a cross towards the far post. Guess who was there?

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 3.57.22 PM.png

Osawe! He leapt higher than their left back and headed home.

0-3

THANKS FOR TUNING IN TO THE OSAWE SHOW!!!

They got a consolation goal because Gibs was ball watching, but whatever. Smash and grab at its best. Jörg and Lorenzo can work him over in training.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 4.04.12 PM.png

Great write up, your writing convinced me to start a save with FCK. I won the league comfortably the first year. I signed 3-4 loan signings, sold Max Krause and brought in a central creative midfielder. Started my second season in B2 now.

Great write up, your writing convinced me to start a save with FCK. I won the league comfortably the first year. I signed 3-4 loan signings, sold Max Krause and brought in a central creative midfielder. Started my second season in B2 now.
Thanks. There are a number of compelling saves in Germany this season. In addition to 1.FCK there are Schalke, Werder Bremen, and Hamburg are massive clubs. St Pauli is always bouncing between 1st and 2nd divisions. Don't forget long-shot, no-hopers Sandhausen (SVS 1916).

Thanks. There are a number of compelling saves in Germany this season. In addition to 1.FCK there are Schalke, Werder Bremen, and Hamburg are massive clubs. St Pauli is always bouncing between 1st and 2nd divisions. Don't forget long-shot, no-hopers Sandhausen (SVS 1916).
6 seasons deep with Schalke myself atm and absolutely loving it

Monday, 25 October 2021

8:11am

Gisela bustled into the cafetria and joined our morning meeting by pulling up a chair. I had just asked the coaches about what we needed to worry about with Stuttgart, but all eyes were on Gisela.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt," she apologized.

"No need to apologize, what have you got?" I asked.

"We made the Stuttgarter Zeitung," she said. " Both tomorrow's match and a profile of you, Enrico."

"Really?" I said.

Everyone were on their iPads to see what they'd said about me.

01_DFB_Pokal2.png

hot towel.jpg
Tuesday, 26 October 2021

11ish am

"Good morning, Enrico," Max said.

"It is, Max, it is," I agreed.

"The usual?"

"Ja, thanks," I said as I sat down in the unoccupied chair.

"Let's get you looking good for the big match tonight," he said as he draped the big towel over me. "Nervous?"

"Not really," I said. "I love the butterflys and the anticipation. Many people have real life problems they face. I get to play at a game I love."

"That's interesting," he said as he wrapped a hot towel around my head and face. "I figured something like that after the story about you in the Stuttgart paper."

"Mmm ja," I mumbled from underneath. "Nice stories, ja?"

"I will say that its a pleasant change," Max said. "Usually its about the financial crisis and how we might go under or get relegated."

"Ja," I agreed.

"I was shocked by the Werder result," he said as he removed the towel and rubbed a salve into my scalp. "So I'm actually hopeful and looking forward to tonight's match."

"Ja, like the good old days."

"1996 doesn't seem all that long ago," Max said as he started scraping at my scalp with his straight edge razor. "It was 25 years go, but I remember that season."

"Time is funny that way."

"Ja, but I realize that they have a Bundesliga squad while our players are what we can afford."

"But you just never know in these cup competitions," I said. "Anything can happen."

"Well, it will be great tonight," Max said. "A full stadium and all the television cameras and everything."

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.26.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.27.52 AM.png

The Fritz-Walter is packed. Three sides of the stadium are Kaiserslautern and the Stuttgart fans are behind the opposite end from the Westkurv. Its properly loud. This will be a real match and it feels great.
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.33.52 AM.png

The match started in our end.

Avdo Spahic needed strong hands to beat away a thunderous drive from the Stuttgart winger Enzo Millot in the 16th minute.

When we finally made it into their end in the 20th minute.

Since Stuttgart were playing a narrow formation with wing backs, I knew we'd be able to break up the flanks.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.35.43 AM.png
Dominick Schad and Martin Kleinsorge worked the ball up the right. Schad then passed inside to Rene Klingenburg.

Rene zipped a pass across to Marlon Ritter who promptly chipped the ball into the space ahead of Osayamen Osawe.

Osawe was in.
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.36.07 AM.png

He rounded the keeper.

The angle was tight, but ...

F***.

He didn't shoot at the open net and it was on his favored left foot!

I buried my head in my hands as he turned away, circled back, tried to cross and the chance was lost.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.39.35 AM.png
Stuttgart brought the ball back into our end. Osawe and Kleinsorge marked their wing backs closely and Stuttgart had a hard time finding any openings. We worked hard for each other, talked amongst ourselves and kept them at bay except for one instance when luck saved us.

In the 34th minute, Stuttgart central defender Konstantinos Mavropanos lobbed a ball over our center backs and Millot caught Kevin Kraus asleep. The footballing gods were smiling on us as he rattled the upright with his shot.

And that was it for the first half.

I told my players to keep the faith and work hard.

I told them that we'd be able to break up the flanks.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 12.11.41 PM.png
And I was right, but our joy came through the middle in the 75th minute.

Ritter chipped a ball into the channel for Muhammed Kiprit to chase.

Kiprit had been loitering with intent off the Stuttgart center backs.

So he was off as soon as he saw Ritter look down to play the pass.

And he was in on goal.

The Stuttgart keeper came charging out.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 12.12.39 PM.png
And Muhammed chipped the ball over him.

1-0

This happened right in front of the Stuttgart fans. They were shocked. The rest of the stadium erupted.

I was swept away by a avalanche off the bench.

We settled back into thwarting Stuttgart.

The problem was that we were tiring.

First to come off was Osawe. Kenny Redondo replaced him. I told Kenny to play as a winger. So we had two wingers now.

Next off was Kleinsorge and Ritter. On went Elias Huth and Mike Wunderlich.

Finally, in the 84th minute I used my final set of subs for Klingenburg and Julian Niehues. On went Jean Zimmer as defensive midfielder and Hikmet Çiftçi for Klingenberg.

In the 89th minute, Huth gave away a goal. He received a pass, started dribbling inside. He had four passing options. Instead he decided to keep dribbling. A Stuttgart player nipped it off him and fed it down the wing to the open wing back Huth was no longer marking.

That wing back curled in a cross and their striker got to the cross before Spahic and redirected it into our goal.

1-1

I stood there with my hands in my pockets fuming. F***ing Huth. Can't score, can't even keep possession.

"Enrico," Jörg said in my ear. "Go easy on Huth."

After five minutes of extra time. the players gathered at our bench for a pep talk.

I told them to hold together defensively. I reminded them that we'd get a couple of opportunities and that we needed to make the most of them.

We held steady for the first half of extra time.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 11.08.09 AM.png
From the restart, Schad played a ball over the top of the Stuttgart defense.

Huth charged onto the pass and was in on goal.

Here was his opportunity to redeem himself.

He rounded the keeper.

The angle was tight ...

but instead of shooting into an open net he turned away and looked for support.

"F*** him," I muttered. "You're done. You'll never play another minute. F***!"

I felt an over-sized hand on my left shoulder.

"I know the look on your face," Jörg said into my right ear. "Don't murder him. I even grant you that you have a few f***ing reasons for it. But don't say it in front of everyone. Take it easy on the guy."

I nodded.

Both sides were exhausted and the match ground down into nothing.

My penalty takers would be:
  1. Wunderlich
  2. Kiprit
  3. Kraus
  4. Redondo
  5. Zimmer
  6. Winkler
We won the toss.

Wunderlich stepped up, placed the ball and waited.

The ref blew his whistle.

He smashed it into the top right hand corner.

Didavi scored for Stuttgart.

Kiprit went left and converted.

Marmoush scored for Stuttgart.

Kraus watched their keeper dive right and rolled the ball left.

Spahic got a hand to Massimo's blast but couldn't keep it out.
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 11.13.44 AM.png

Redondo's shot was saved.

F***!

Kenny stood there with his head in his hands.

It wasn't the best shot and their keeper read it.

Zimmer converted his but they made both of theirs.

1-1 (4-5 on PKs)

Stuttgart are through to the third round.

Last edited:
RnFpodcast.png

Welcome to a rare Wednesday edition of Rötliche und Teuflisch. This is episode 8.53, I’m your host Werner. Joining me as always is a rather hoarse Jakob.

Jakob: Hi.

Werner: Apologies, Jakob can’t make it today and has been replaced by a toad.

Jakob: I know. I might have lost my voice last night.

Werner: I think many supporters are in the same situation.

Jakob: Can we get to the business.

W: Ja, lets save your words for the important ones. Well?

J: I think we just saw an 85 minute master class on how to beat a Bundesliga club.

W: Ja.

J: But we all know that matches are not 85 minutes.

W: No.

J: And the only flaw in the match …

W: Ja …

J: Was Pucci replacing Kleinsorge with Elias Huth.

W: He was abysmal. He was worse than abysmal. What word is worse than abysmal.

J: Done?

W: Ja, I suppose.

J: Done in the sense that I hope Pucci never plays him again.

W: In case you couldn’t watch the match or haven’t seen the highlights. Huth came on in the 85th and his first thing he did was to give the ball away. Stuttgart promptly scored. All we needed to do was keep possession and see the game out. We had them. We had our boot on their neck …

J: And then …

W: He was in on goal in extra time but instead of shooting from a tight angle …

J: Ja.

W: … he turned away and looked for the pass.

J: He only managed two last season and clearly hasn’t impressed Pucci this season.

W: Did you see his face after?

J: Pucci's? When? After the Stuttgart goal?

W: Ja, Pucci's. Any time after the 86th minute.

W: I would not want to be Huth right now, let me just say that.

J: I’m guessing he won’t even make the bench after this.

W: Enough. Enough morbid reflection on one player’s horrid performance that ruined everything for everyone. Boris Tomiak was great yesterday.

J: Ja, he really was.

W: And Kiprit. Ritter.

J: Ja. Aside from Huth, everyone did their job. Stuttgart had a really tough time out there. All credit to the players and the coaches for getting them ready.

W: Ja.

J: I mean Ulf Kirsten’s influence on our forwards is clear. They are finishing well. They are making great runs.

W: And Jörg Weber and Lorenzo D’Anna must get credit for what is becoming a stingy defense.

J: Ja. A lot is going right despite yesterday’s calamitous result.

W: Ja. Kiprit’s game was very Ulf-Kirsten-esque. In that I mean that he was terrible but kept working hard and in that crucial moment, delivered.

J: What’s so heartbreaking is there were so many gritty, hard-working and occasionally great moments last night. Its just so frustrating as a fan.

W: That is curse of supporting your club.

W: Next up is Würzburger Kickers back in 3.Liga.

J: [sighs]

W: Yes. On a more hopeful note, we’re doing great in the league and may not be playing clubs like Kickers, Halle, Duisburg of Havelse again.

J: Ja, and that’s all I’ve got today. Go away now.

Wednesday, 27 October 2021

8am

“Let’s just f***ing talk about it,” Jörg said as I was walking up to the table with my espresso.

“Ja, lets,” I said as I sat.

There was a moment of silence. A variety of emotions rolled across the faces of my coaches. Then everyone looked to me and Technial Director Thomas Hengen who’d joined us.

“Well?” Thomas said, breaking the silence. “Do you want to buy him out or something?”

“If you would have asked me last night, I’d have said can we throw him in the Lautern, too?” I said.

“Its just a cup match,” Ulf Kirsten said.

“Defense is good,” Lorenzo said.

“We’re doing great in the league,” Günther added.

“Right,” Jörg said. “Perspective matters. Big picture matters.”

“And I think you coaches are doing a great job,” Hengen said. “The team is playing well. We had Stuttgart on the ropes and bleeding, if you’ll pardon the boxing reference.”

“I propose a toast,” I raised my espresso. “To us. May our hard work continue to bear fruit.”

“Ja,” they all said in unison.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 3.27.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 3.28.05 PM.png

I'm sorry, Würzburg. Please don't take it personally. We were all in a mood. Its not you, but we sure took it out on you.

Scout Florian
Florian last name.png
said that you liked to control the ball. Maybe we were a little tired from Tuesday's 120+ minutes. Maybe we were feeling a little punitive after losing on penalties. Maybe we toyed with you, let you think you could compete.

We sat back, parked the bus, and destroyed them on the counter.

Kenny Redondo won a penalty on the fast break in the 11th minute and Muhammed Kiprit converted.

On another fast break in 27th minute, Dominik Schad whipped in a cross from the right. The defender misjudged the flight of the ball, it went over his head and Kiprit got his second.

In the 39th, Redondo cut back a pass after he'd raced to the end line and Rene Klingenburg placed his shot inside the first post to end the scoring.

3-0

We let Kickers control the ball, but we scored more than they managed to get on target.

I replaced many of my regular starters to give them avoid too much fatigue. Jean Zimmer got 20 minutes and his groin seemed fine.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 6.54.04 AM.png

Monday, 1 November 2021

7:51am

"Buon giorna," I said Lorenzo D'Anna as we got out of our cars.

"Yes, good morning," he replied.

"How was your day off?" I asked in Italian.

"It was good. I did more unpacking. My apartment is starting to feel more settled."

"That's good. You're German is progressing really well."

"Yes. Thanks." he said. He hit the elevator button for the third floor. "You were right, that German instructor is really good. Also, Jörg is a huge help."

"Once you get past the swearing."

"Yes, if I ever felt the need, I am fluent in German curse words."

"How are things going with the wife in kids?"

"I don't know, its tough," he said as we exited the elevator. "I miss them. We think she and the kids will move up here during the holiday break. Then the kids can start in school."

"Have you talked to Gisela about this?"

"I have. She's given me some options for schools so that learning German would be easier for them."

"Gisela is the best."

We both waved to Jörg as we entered the cafeteria. Lorenzo went over to get an omelet and I headed over to get my espresso.

Wednesday, 3 November 2021

2:02pm

There was a knock at the door. I looked up.

"Do you have a moment?" Kevin Kraus asked as he and his agent walked in.

This had to be about playing time.

"Of course, have a seat," I said as I closed my laptop. "What would you like to talk about?"

"This is my agent Tom Franke," he said. We shook hands. He sat then heaved a sigh. His agent looked grim and determined.

"I'll just get straight to it, I'm not getting enough playing time," he said. "I know I can contribute and I'm not getting the playing time we agreed to when I signed."

"Okay," I said. "You have a legitimate complaint, I'm not going to argue with that. However, Hengen signed you under the previous manager. He signed Assani Lukimya for me so we'd have four central defenders I trust. It was you and Assani competing to partner Boris Tomiak. Winkler was always fourth choice."

"Kevin realizes he was signed by the previous manager," Franke interjected. "But an agreement is an agreement."

"Tom, we all know its a blank slate when a new manager takes over," I said. "We got on a roll with Assani and Boris. I can't just break that up, we've got the best defense in the division."

"You said you trust me," Kevin said. "Play me, I'll prove I can do the job."

"Kevin, I played you in our biggest two matches of the season," I said. "In the Pokal against Werder and Stuttgart. Furthermore, its a long season and Assani is 35 year's old. You are going to get your chances. I urge you to remain patient."

"Kevin wants you to honor the contract," Franke said.

"Ahh," I said. "Mr. Franke, I know you must understand that when management changes, anything can happen. I have a very good options in central defense and I've made my selections. Kevin, I value your abilities and don't want this to escalate into the newspapers reporting a fight between the two of us. I want you continuing to work hard and be available when either Assani or Boris are suspended, hurt, or catch COVID."

"I can see you're not willing to budge," Franke said. I nodded then folded my arms across my chest. "Since that is the case, Kevin wants to leave. We will not be willing to negotiate a new contract."

"That is fair," I said. "Just to clarify. Do you want to go on the transfer list or just leave in the summer?"

"In the summer," Franke replied.

"That is fair," I said. They stood. "I'll see you training tomorrow then, Kevin."

"Bye," Kevin said and they were out the door.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.01.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.01.02 AM.png
    287.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.20.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.20.32 AM.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.22.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.22.22 AM.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.35.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 9.02.41 AM.png

Saarbrücken is a neighboring town about an hour east of Kaiserslautern. Its a slightly larger city. Today is the Saarland - Rheinland-Pfalz derby.

Ludwigsparkstadion seats 16k and Die Blau-Schwarzen normally draw 3-4k and never more than 5k. However, today, about ten thousand Roten Teufels showed up in Saarbrücken turning this away derby into a home-away-from-home match for us.

And we dominated.

The first half was in their end. They got out twice. What worried me is we only got one goal despite the complete control.

You all know where this is going.

Its like a footballing script straight out of central casting.

They scored on their first shot on target.

They'd brought it into our half down our right in the 84th minute. That was a dead end. So they circled back and played the ball across the front of our defense.

Our right back and Captain, Jean Zimmer, got caught ball watching on a play that happened right in front of him. The Saarbrücken left winger cut across Jean and he didn't even flinch. Their winger just slid the ball under the onrushing Avdo Spahic and they were tied.

The several thousand Saarbrücken fans screamed their delight.

Jörg and Lorenzo were up off the bench both shouting at Zimmer.

"What are you going to do, boys?" I muttered to myself. "What are you going to do?"

Muhammed Kiprit, Rene Klingenburg, Marlon Ritter and Assani Lukimya were all trying to rally their teammates.

We decamped into the Saarbrücken end yet again and began passing the ball back and forth across the front of their defense trying to find an opening.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 10.13.51 AM.png
Klingenburg found himself with time inside their box. He looked up, looked down and chipped a ball over towards the second post for Kenny Redondo.

Kenny controlled it and zipped a pass between their keeper and defenders.

Kiprit snuck in and got a toe on it.

1-2

Nicely done, boys, nicely done.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 10.19.18 AM.png

Saturday, 6 November 2021

The treatment tables were full of sore players and cryo-tubs had long lines. Eventually, we got around to analyzing the video from yesterday's match. I kept glancing over at Captain Jean Zimmer. He kept getting more and more nervous the closer we got to the end of the video. He placed his head in his hands when we reviewed his blunder.

Jörg summed it up as only he could.

"That was f***ing s***," he said and then we moved on.

Afterwords, we coaches talked over the next day's training.We had an extra day to work on stuff so I wanted to focus on some specific things. First, playing out from the back. We just needed a refresher on how to beat a press for those rare times a team tries it and how to most efficiently get into the oppositions end. Second, we needed to work on defeating the parked bus. We're not going to surprise anyone anymore. They know that our midfield tandem of Rene Klingenburg and Marlon Ritter can find the seams in a team's defense. They know that Rene and Marlon make late runs and find the open spaces. They know our fullbacks bomb forward, create overloads and curl in crosses. They know that Muhammed Kiprit and Osayamen Osawe are hot. Opponents from now on are going to park the bus. I mean, I would if I had to face us.

We got done early enough and got home in plenty of time to watch all the Sunday matches in 3.Liga.

The big match was second place Osnabrück hosting 1860 München. A draw would be ideal for us. I watched this one on my laptop.

I kept an eye on the Wiesbaden match on my iPad and kept an eye on the Dortmund II match on my phone.

All around great results for the Roten Teufels!

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 11.58.39 PM.png