An [Amateur] Tactician's Chalkboard for FM11

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 694
  • Views Views 453K
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great thread, I've read all through it in the past couple of days and the articles are really well done and useful.

I'm currently trying to develop a 4-2-2-2 with two central midfielders and two wide attacking mids, I'm still very early into the developing of it but the first two results are encouraging, 2-2 at home with Arsenal in the FA Cup and 3-0 away at Norwich (I'm managing Woking in the Championship).

I have a couple questions though; reading Mike.'s article on the modern 4-4-2 I was wondering if the same philosophy could be applied to the formation I'm trying to build or if the wide players being further up the pitch would hinder the efficacy of the tactic; here's how I set the team instructions:

fav5aq.jpg

I choose a balanced philosophy for fear of having my defenders caught out of position, considering the attacking lineup, but I've noticed that in the modern 442 that's set to fluid; I guess I might try that and see how the team responds. That's the same reason behind my choosing "Stick to position" while Mike. went with "more roaming"; again I guess I'll have to experiment and see if the team can defend well enough even with more roaming allowed or if that creates gaps that the opposition can exploit.

Other differences are the style of crosses and the creative freedom allowed; I guess setting crosses to default mixes things up and makes it harder for the opposition to anticipate where the ball will go once a cross is put in, am I right? As for the creative freedom, I can always modify the single players' PI to decrease it to those players I don't think possess the ability to "create" anything useful :P

Any ideas on if the settings for the modern 442 would work with my formation opr if I'm better off in the more cautious way I've set it? I know only trying it out on FM will give me a definite answer but still, I'd love to hear what you think of it |)

Now onto the Modern Fullback and Modern Centre Forward; I've analysed the passing and movement of the players I employ in those positions and I've realized that even if my left back isn't actually set up to be a modern fullback, he acts pretty similar to one so far; here are his passing and movement in the two games I mentioned.

Arsenal game:

24din8h.jpg

s4rwvl.jpg

Norwich game:

2ihbak4.jpg

2w4isk5.jpg

Of course he was much more attacking against Norwich, but that's the surprise because, due to the presence of the AML ahead of him, I've set him as Fullback - Defend so I didn't expect him to get forward so much, and yet he never left his flank unguarded. Also, a passing rate of 92.7 is awesome, and he had an 83% successful passes against Arsenal.

Here's how I've set him:

n55vyh.jpg

which is quite different from how you've set Cissokho in the modern fullback article, and yet the passing and the average positions don't look too different from those you posted. What do you think? Here are his values, I think he could be decent at the role if I actually set him as you suggest:

jr9r37.jpg

Now onto the Modern Centre Forward; here's the passing and average positions of Maletic, the one I use in that kind of role, for the two games:

Arsenal game:

hrgchs.jpg

21j68ub.jpg

Norwich game:

5fizvr.jpg

2vdietd.jpg

And here's how I've set him:

insgvl.jpg

I've checked with the player role calculator that his best role/duty is Deep Lying Forward - Support and thus I set him so; then I tweaked with the PIs to make him link with the midfield and the other forward the way I wanted him to, coming to get the ball and then trying to play the other striker or one of the wide players in with through balls; he didn't do that so much against the Gunners but he was much better in the second game and he scored twice, both times arriving late into the box to receive the pass and slot it home.

Do you think he kind of resembles the movement/passing of the modern centre forward you explained through Rooney and RVP? I don't think it's spot on but I can see a similarity there.

Here are his values:

sd2vk1.jpg

sorry ,for Arsenal with modern tactic,What about Akinfeev,babacar,can u suggest some.I`m on my third seson...first sesason was magnificent,but in the second i qualify for champions legue...

sorry ,for Arsenal with modern tactic,What about Akinfeev,babacar,can u suggest some.I`m on my third seson...first sesason was magnificent,but in the second i qualify for champions legue...

It depends on the area you are lacking most in. I would recommend goalkeepers that are a little less expensive, and a winger or two.

Also a holding central midfielder.

Thanks ,i will probably spend all the transfer budjet and see it how it works with three or four new players

Whats next iNickStuff

• How-to: Defend and counter-attack effectively
  • The 'modern Central Defender
  • The 'modern Central Midfielder
  • Studying the 4-1-2-1-2
  • Studying three-man defence formations
  • How-to: Grasp the basics of attacking football
  • 'So, what are the components of a clinical marksman' ?
Others may follow - that's just the outlay for now.

---

Would also like to announce that this thread will be published on another forum called FM-Sweden. From now on, any new articles, that may be by myself or by other members on the forum, will now be available to be read by forum members over on FM-Sweden. Credit will be given to the authors of the articles, regardless, and have regular links back to the thread and FM-Base.

Unfortunately, the whole forum is published in Swedish, so the use of a translator is advised. Here is a link to the forum, FM-Sweden.

Studying the 4-1-2-1-2

I use this formation and can't wait for your deadline, nick

Would also like to announce that this thread will be published on another forum called FM-Sweden. From now on, any new articles, that may be by myself or by other members on the forum, will now be available to be read by forum members over on FM-Sweden. Credit will be given to the authors of the articles, regardless, and have regular links back to the thread and FM-Base.

Unfortunately, the whole forum is published in Swedish, so the use of a translator is advised. Here is a link to the forum, FM-Sweden.

If you want something* translated just give me a shout as I am active at FMS as well.

*like brief summarys, questions etc rather than a guide of 20 pages ;D

If you want something* translated just give me a shout as I am active at FMS as well.

*like brief summarys, questions etc rather than a guide of 20 pages ;D

Sounds great, definitely will give you a shout when I need some translating. :)

remember me?

i think i find out how to make an amc work as a second striker, and i tried loads it doesnt work, but i finally find out why!

because Cahill have a PPM is gets into opposition area!

remember me?

i think i find out how to make an amc work as a second striker, and i tried loads it doesnt work, but i finally find out why!

because Cahill have a PPM is gets into opposition area!

How could I forget Robing9g.

Well, telling him to un-learn that PPM would be a massive benefit, wouldn't it. It's a good thing that you found that out.

This is a great thread, I've read all through it in the past couple of days and the articles are really well done and useful.

I'm currently trying to develop a 4-2-2-2 with two central midfielders and two wide attacking mids, I'm still very early into the developing of it but the first two results are encouraging, 2-2 at home with Arsenal in the FA Cup and 3-0 away at Norwich (I'm managing Woking in the Championship).

I have a couple questions though; reading Mike.'s article on the modern 4-4-2 I was wondering if the same philosophy could be applied to the formation I'm trying to build or if the wide players being further up the pitch would hinder the efficacy of the tactic; here's how I set the team instructions:

fav5aq.jpg

I choose a balanced philosophy for fear of having my defenders caught out of position, considering the attacking lineup, but I've noticed that in the modern 442 that's set to fluid; I guess I might try that and see how the team responds. That's the same reason behind my choosing "Stick to position" while Mike. went with "more roaming"; again I guess I'll have to experiment and see if the team can defend well enough even with more roaming allowed or if that creates gaps that the opposition can exploit.

Other differences are the style of crosses and the creative freedom allowed; I guess setting crosses to default mixes things up and makes it harder for the opposition to anticipate where the ball will go once a cross is put in, am I right? As for the creative freedom, I can always modify the single players' PI to decrease it to those players I don't think possess the ability to "create" anything useful :P

Any ideas on if the settings for the modern 442 would work with my formation opr if I'm better off in the more cautious way I've set it? I know only trying it out on FM will give me a definite answer but still, I'd love to hear what you think of it |)

Now onto the Modern Fullback and Modern Centre Forward; I've analysed the passing and movement of the players I employ in those positions and I've realized that even if my left back isn't actually set up to be a modern fullback, he acts pretty similar to one so far; here are his passing and movement in the two games I mentioned.

Arsenal game:

24din8h.jpg

s4rwvl.jpg

Norwich game:

2ihbak4.jpg

2w4isk5.jpg

Of course he was much more attacking against Norwich, but that's the surprise because, due to the presence of the AML ahead of him, I've set him as Fullback - Defend so I didn't expect him to get forward so much, and yet he never left his flank unguarded. Also, a passing rate of 92.7 is awesome, and he had an 83% successful passes against Arsenal.

Here's how I've set him:

n55vyh.jpg

which is quite different from how you've set Cissokho in the modern fullback article, and yet the passing and the average positions don't look too different from those you posted. What do you think? Here are his values, I think he could be decent at the role if I actually set him as you suggest:

jr9r37.jpg

Now onto the Modern Centre Forward; here's the passing and average positions of Maletic, the one I use in that kind of role, for the two games:

Arsenal game:

hrgchs.jpg

21j68ub.jpg

Norwich game:

5fizvr.jpg

2vdietd.jpg

And here's how I've set him:

insgvl.jpg

I've checked with the player role calculator that his best role/duty is Deep Lying Forward - Support and thus I set him so; then I tweaked with the PIs to make him link with the midfield and the other forward the way I wanted him to, coming to get the ball and then trying to play the other striker or one of the wide players in with through balls; he didn't do that so much against the Gunners but he was much better in the second game and he scored twice, both times arriving late into the box to receive the pass and slot it home.

Do you think he kind of resembles the movement/passing of the modern centre forward you explained through Rooney and RVP? I don't think it's spot on but I can see a similarity there.

Here are his values:

sd2vk1.jpg

Can anyone give me an opinion on this? Also, can anyone tell me how to save and post the file of a match? I'd like to post one of the matches I've done with this tactic so you can take a look and see how it works and maybe point out how I could make it work better, or if there are glaring mistakes I should look to correct ^^)

How could I forget Robing9g.

Well, telling him to un-learn that PPM would be a massive benefit, wouldn't it. It's a good thing that you found that out.

why? if he doesnt gets it how can he become the second striker?

Can anyone give me an opinion on this? Also, can anyone tell me how to save and post the file of a match? I'd like to post one of the matches I've done with this tactic so you can take a look and see how it works and maybe point out how I could make it work better, or if there are glaring mistakes I should look to correct ^^)

I'll answer your post in a minute. Saw it earlier, but couldn't read it as I was busy.

why? if he doesnt gets it how can he become the second striker?

He needs the ability to come deep and get the ball, and charge up the field to start counter-attacks, not stay upfront and be lethargic. That's not what the second striker is about these days. There is a heavy emphasis on team play these days, and lethargy has very little space.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

In regards to your post;

For the "Modern 4-4-2" you'll have to ask Mike. for a little more information on that, as he has all the knowledge to answer your questions, unlike me. But on my part:

• Fluidity would not be recommended, and you are right for making it balanced, so that the 4-4-2 can be based around the players focusing on their own game, rather than be a team they are a million miles off of. The team you are playing as, I am guessing, are very poor, and dwell in the lower leagues of football. Keeping it simple and not exposing yourself is the best way to get the best out of the modern 4-4-2. Even if they are not, the team you seem to have on show don't seem to be the best in the land, so the instructions seem fine.
  • The instructions you've chosen, again are ones that would be recommended. You could go with 'More Roaming', so that the wingers and the central midfielders attack a little more intently, but Default is another good option. It's just dependent on how good they are in that position, role and duty.
  • As for creativity, putting the slider around half-way is a good shout, but spreading it across to more able players would be beneficial, as they can then be a lot more expansive, and contribute to the match, unlike the whole eleven who could muck it all up.

For the 'modern Fullback and 'modern Centre Forward:

• The 'Closing Down' slider is the one that dictated his pressing up the pitch, and his movement around the field, thus leading to his average position being a little miscued from the role and duty that you set. Often, this is the case, because this slider is what can be described as 'making the most out of what you have.' in terms of it's counter-parted sliders. I.e. the more defensive, the more he will do within the zones set of defence.
  • Briggs' game was also contributed by the crossing settings. Mixed positions from where he should cross and the direction to which he should, is what contributed to his passing game being so high. Regardless of where he is on the flank inside the opposition half, he can boot it into the penalty area. If successful, it contributes. If not, it still contributes.

• Maletic's first game was probably contributed by the closing by Arsenal, and their intention to break down his game. I am guessing that they fielded a three-man midfield? If so, there is a good chance that one of them was marking him. Thus, leading to why most of his passes where on the half-circle. He was often closed down, given small space to work from, and unable to contribute to the game fully.
  • Maletic's second game was against a team that, arguably, played a two-man midfield, and have a weak defence. His completion of passes was contributed by the ability work from a vast amount of space, regular service from the midfield (unlike in the Arsenal game) and poor marking from them. Both games resemble the 'modern Centre Forward because his passage completion is nearer the centre, and his average position is the same. Despite his attributes not being the best for it, he still did very well.

To save a match, you basically:

• Click onto the match.
  • Go to TV view.
  • Once finished loading up, you click on Match View Controls.
  • Click on the 'Save Match' button.
  • Save the match.
  • Go to: Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2011 > matches and find it in the folder.
  • Once found, come back onto FM-Base, and click the Paperclip icon.
  • Browse through the folders and find the match.
  • Attach the document and upload.
  • Click 'Submit Reply'.

• How-to: Defend and counter-attack effectively
  • The 'modern Central Defender
  • The 'modern Central Midfielder
  • Studying the 4-1-2-1-2
  • Studying three-man defence formations
  • How-to: Grasp the basics of attacking football
  • 'So, what are the components of a clinical marksman' ?
Others may follow - that's just the outlay for now.

---

Can't wait to that attacking football article. Currently playing possession football, having about 60% possession in every game. And I get like 0-2 CCCs in a game, most of them being counterattacks launched from midfield. I finally managed to get my pressing to work, and in last game had 20% of the time ball in the attacking zone, only 1 CCC. So I hope it covers attacking against deep defensive wall.

BTW, I almost decided to never read again your articles when I found out that you are Swedish.

Can't wait to that attacking football article. Currently playing possession football, having about 60% possession in every game. And I get like 0-2 CCCs in a game, most of them being counterattacks launched from midfield. I finally managed to get my pressing to work, and in last game had 20% of the time ball in the attacking zone, only 1 CCC. So I hope it covers attacking against deep defensive wall.

BTW, I almost decided to never read again your articles when I found out that you are Swedish.

That's good, I am glad you have managed 60% of possession on average. That's quite a feat. 70% the next stop.

And hah, I'm not Swedish, I'm British. The thread is going to be published on FM-Sweden by a member of their forum - they are Swedish. Here is the thread. The authors of all the articles have been mentioned, alongside links back to their FM-Base profiles. It's yet to be commented on, but the more articles rolling in, the more likely it will catch attention.

Last edited:
That's good, I am glad you have managed 60% of possession on average. That's quite a feat. 70% the next stop.

And hah, I'm not Swedish, I'm British. The thread is going to be published on FM-Sweden by a member of their forum - they are Swedish. Here is the thread. The authors of all the articles have been mentioned, alongside links back to their FM-Base profiles. It's yet to be commented on, but the more articles rolling in, the more likely it will catch attention.

70% is going to be hard, my players are much weaker than other players in my league. Before the season started you get those information about some attributes are you below or above the average, everything was poor or poorest. Maybe that could be the reason to my lack of CCCs and goals? Anyway, at least I have to set my playmaker's passing to normal or direct.

And also one question, how did you get so many passes to modern second striker? I only get 20 max, only 1-3 being key passes.

And I am very glad that you are not Swedish.

70% is going to be hard, my players are much weaker than other players in my league. Before the season started you get those information about some attributes are you below or above the average, everything was poor or poorest. Maybe that could be the reason to my lack of CCCs and goals? Anyway, at least I have to set my playmaker's passing to normal or direct.

And also one question, how did you get so many passes to modern second striker? I only get 20 max, only 1-3 being key passes.

And I am very glad that you are not Swedish.

Could be, just need to be a little more careful with your tactics when you come across that.

And why are you 'very glad' that I am not Swedish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back