• Replies Replies 694
  • Views Views 453K
Status
Not open for further replies.
dejanstankovicewesleysn.jpg
[/URL]

The False 10

• Creating False 10

The Concept of the popular False 9 where a center-forward drops deeper to collect the ball, It is now established in modern day tactical thinking.But with the emergence of the False nine we have seen the less publicized up rising of the False 10. This player assists the progress of the False 9 and operates simultaneously with the center-forward.

If a team has a Striker who is going to constantly play deep and/or pull wide, teams need players to break forward from deep(er) areas to exploit areas created by the False 9's movement. More often then not these have been players who are wingers, inside forwards or second strikers. But espically in the World cup, Real Madrid and Leonardo's Inter Milan. But more commonly they have been playmakers Ozil and Wesley Sneijder.

Without the False 10 the False 9 would be useless and vice versa they rely on each other to work. A traditional attacking midfielder is expected to play deeper and spend less time at the point of the attack. In the transitional stage of The False 9 a new role is created the False 10.

wesleysneijderaveragepo.jpg
[/URL]

As You Can see Sneijder has pushed up alongside Rovin Van Persie to exserte more pressure on the opposition's defense. This has created a 4-4-2 from an orginal 4-2-3-1.

Football Manager

I will be using Inter Milan or more specifically Sneijder for my example of a False 10
As he defined the role best when playing for holland in the world cup

fcinternazionaleinterta.png
[/URL]

This is the 4-2-3-1 being played for my Inter team,With Support Inside Forwards and Milito as a deep laying striker on support recreating the False 9.

fcinternazionaleinterta.png
[/URL]

I Made Sneijder a Trequartista to encourage more forward thinking play and for him to get forward more a higher attacking mentality will get him higher up the pitch.Higher creative freedom is vital for the AMC to wonder around and look for space, runs from deep will encourage more forward runs. Creating a False 10.

In Game- Super Cup Final - Down to 10 men with Samual getting sent off and giving a way a penalty but it was well saved. Cambassio is moved to the DC position with the AML/R moving to MR/L. Milito and Sneijder keeping their original positions.

intervromatvview.png
[/URL][/IMG]

As the Goal kick is taken you can see that Milito and Sneijder are in their original positions in a 4-3-1-1.

[URL="http://img573.imageshack.us/i/intervromatvview2.png/"]

As the Ball is Won by Zanetti you can see Sneijder has drifted in to a ST position creating a 4-3-2 just like real life expect a player light
[IMG]http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3673/intervromatvview2.png[/URL][/IMG]

As the ball is headed to Milto he controls it and looks for opitions with him playing so deep he has dragged away 3 players from there original positions leaving plenty of space

intervromatvview3.png
[/URL][/IMG]

AS Milito has drawen away 3 denfenders he has opened up space for Sneijder to drive in to.

As Sneijder has driven into that space he is being closed down but still has space to operate in and has three main opitions
1. Continue driving in to the space
2. Through ball it to milito and hope for the return
3. Smash it towards goal

intervromatvview5.png
[/URL][/IMG]

He decides to take the 3rd opition and the most hard to execute and it pays off making it 2-0 to Inter.

intervromatvview6.png
[/URL][/IMG]

The Goal was created due to the space that Milito opened up drawing 3 defenders away from there positions leaving plenty of space.

Sneijder created the goal by moving into a ST position something the Roma team were not epecting leaving plenty of space with his amount of creative freedom and run from deep, he drives forward allowing him plenty of opinions.

Match Analysis

When the ball is won by Inter Sneijder is automatically changed from a AMC to a ST giving Inter more options with Sneijder closer to Goal and able to run at Roma. He is also playing higher Than Milito making him more of a Advanced striker. This Happen regulary in the game and with 11 men on the pitch i'm sure Sneijder would have got a higher rating than 9.00
intervromatvview7.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Conclusion
The False 10 is proved to be very effective when used with the False 9 as the two are made for each other a Striker who drops deep and a AMC who pushes forward to join in to help with the attack and in which doing so actually changes the base of the formation in an attacking stage
can you add the PI for sneijder and (possibly milito) ??? thank you anyway

Hey, this thread is fantastic, and has really helped me with my game, especially Mike.'s 4-4-2 and iNickStuff's possession football, so thanks a lot for that!
However I was just wondering, is anyone planning on doing a defensive tactic anytime soon (ie. to play away against bigger teams)? I'm not brilliant at creating my own tactics, i'll give it a go but I'm a bit rubbish at setting the PIs and stuff. I've even looked through the forum, but naturally and understandably almost all of the tactis are to get goals etc... So I just thought I'd ask, see if you have anything in the pipeline :)

I have read some of these articles, and put some of them to test. They have worked well for my low league team. Of course, when having team in lower league, I have to buy right players to each position to make them work, as I don't have budget to get players with too many possible positions and roles to play. Now I have mixed some of these (actually mostly different kind of player types posted here), making weird tactic in attacking part of the game. I play 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs and 3 AMCs.

Basicly I am trying to play fluid possession football, and currently I have modern fullback, central winger, false 9 and false 10. Modern fullback, which is actually attacking wingback in my team, is on the left side with inside forward. These two players have more quality than the other side, so I try to make the game from that side. It has worked well, fullback getting good amount of passes and crosses, always helping the attack.

Attacking works fine sometimes, sometimes it is just a big mess. Lately I discovered that my AMCR is useless. He was playing that false 10 role, but it didn't work, instead of making runs to the space which false 9 created, he first went down to receive the ball when playing as trequartista, and after that, when I made him to be attacking midfielder with attack duty, made runs in right flank. This made my central winger to be false 10, as now he is the one who is running (sometimes) to the space. For some reason, he is (IMO) playing too much in the center, altough I want him to support the left flank. Also my false 9 isn't really what I expected, as he has troubles to make good passes and turn with the ball altough having space around him.

So if someone who has tested these things could help a little, it would be nice. If needed, I will post some feedback.

Here are questions already told about above and some else to make my tactic work:

-How to get false 10 to make forward runs to empty space in the middle?
-Is it possible to combine false 10 and central winger?
-How to get false 9 making better passes and turn with the ball?
-Which roles and PIs I should make to my DMs to play the ball quickly to the players in front of them?
-Who should be the playmaker if I want my forwards and AMs to pass the ball and create chances near the opponent's penalty box?
-Who should be the playmaker if I want my midfielders and defenders to keep the ball, creating chances from lower or frustrating the opposition?
-What time wasting I should use when keeping the ball up/down?

And in the "how to play (decently) succesful possession football" article it was adviced to tick the counter attacks box, but I noticed that with it my defenders played huge amounts of long passes, 90% of which opponent's defenders collected, no matter of the PIs of my defenders.

Hey, this thread is fantastic, and has really helped me with my game, especially Mike.'s 4-4-2 and iNickStuff's possession football, so thanks a lot for that!
However I was just wondering, is anyone planning on doing a defensive tactic anytime soon (ie. to play away against bigger teams)? I'm not brilliant at creating my own tactics, i'll give it a go but I'm a bit rubbish at setting the PIs and stuff. I've even looked through the forum, but naturally and understandably almost all of the tactis are to get goals etc... So I just thought I'd ask, see if you have anything in the pipeline :)

Yes, there is in fact. I was working on one this morning with Wolves. It's still in the works because I lost 7-0 at home to Chelsea, but yes. There will be one done soon, but there can be one done by other members if they wish to.

It should come out soon, possibly this week.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

I have read some of these articles, and put some of them to test. They have worked well for my low league team. Of course, when having team in lower league, I have to buy right players to each position to make them work, as I don't have budget to get players with too many possible positions and roles to play. Now I have mixed some of these (actually mostly different kind of player types posted here), making weird tactic in attacking part of the game. I play 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs and 3 AMCs.

Basicly I am trying to play fluid possession football, and currently I have modern fullback, central winger, false 9 and false 10. Modern fullback, which is actually attacking wingback in my team, is on the left side with inside forward. These two players have more quality than the other side, so I try to make the game from that side. It has worked well, fullback getting good amount of passes and crosses, always helping the attack.

Attacking works fine sometimes, sometimes it is just a big mess. Lately I discovered that my AMCR is useless. He was playing that false 10 role, but it didn't work, instead of making runs to the space which false 9 created, he first went down to receive the ball when playing as trequartista, and after that, when I made him to be attacking midfielder with attack duty, made runs in right flank. This made my central winger to be false 10, as now he is the one who is running (sometimes) to the space. For some reason, he is (IMO) playing too much in the center, altough I want him to support the left flank. Also my false 9 isn't really what I expected, as he has troubles to make good passes and turn with the ball altough having space around him.

So if someone who has tested these things could help a little, it would be nice. If needed, I will post some feedback.

Here are questions already told about above and some else to make my tactic work:

-How to get false 10 to make forward runs to empty space in the middle?
-Is it possible to combine false 10 and central winger?
-How to get false 9 making better passes and turn with the ball?
-Which roles and PIs I should make to my DMs to play the ball quickly to the players in front of them?
-Who should be the playmaker if I want my forwards and AMs to pass the ball and create chances near the opponent's penalty box?
-Who should be the playmaker if I want my midfielders and defenders to keep the ball, creating chances from lower or frustrating the opposition?
-What time wasting I should use when keeping the ball up/down?

And in the "how to play (decently) succesful possession football" article it was adviced to tick the counter attacks box, but I noticed that with it my defenders played huge amounts of long passes, 90% of which opponent's defenders collected, no matter of the PIs of my defenders.

To anaswer the following questions in order:

1. Possibly ask him to start moving into the channels or dribble through the centre, or set it through his PI's.
  2. I am not fully aware of both styles of play, as I have not researched into them enough to really give a good enough answer. But, seeing it, I would say that with the current Football Manager, it is possible, but takes a lot of work and added attribues, PPMS, PI tweaking (etc.)
  3. Your normal central midfielder or one of your wingers.
  4. A defensive midfielder, who sits deep, or a central midfielder with tweaked PI's to stay deep and pick out passes from the cente of the park.
  5. Mid-way through, maybe a couple of clicks to the right.
  6. You can un-tick the box if you want, it just makes your team more aware when the opposition attacks. Reduce your defenders' creative freedom and passing if you don't want them to pass up field.

RE False nine

It does depend on the sort of player used an example would be when dont know how much teamwork effective how they play but when Aguero plays he likes to turn and dribble through the centre (PPM) and he shoots more then I would like him to (mainly because he doesnt score soon as he does I wont complain |)). However Lukaku has high teamwork and does more passes and tries to get others into play but has low passing so his passes arent always good but does seem to be scoring more.

If were allowed to make requests could someone please do an article on defensive midfielders because mine don't generally receive great ratings. Even in great performance when all the other players get 8+ ratings the dm will be lucky to get a 7.5. Is this just a rating glitch because the player seems to be doing the job because he averages 5 tackles a game and manages few interceptions?

If were allowed to make requests could someone please do an article on defensive midfielders because mine don't generally receive great ratings. Even in great performance when all the other players get 8+ ratings the dm will be lucky to get a 7.5. Is this just a rating glitch because the player seems to be doing the job because he averages 5 tackles a game and manages few interceptions?

I will cover it in the 'modern Midfielders article coming up soon.

Thanks for your answeres. Couple things were left opened, but I hope to discover them myself trough some tests.

About that 3, central midfielder also meaning AMC? I think my wingers aren't good enough to be playmakers.

Made few tests, moved AMC R&L to AM R&L, they defend fullbacks better and gives my AMC more space to operate, which seems to be leading to some good chances. Sadly the AMC still doesn't support wings as I would like him to do.

Thanks for your answeres. Couple things were left opened, but I hope to discover them myself trough some tests.

About that 3, central midfielder also meaning AMC? I think my wingers aren't good enough to be playmakers.

Made few tests, moved AMC R&L to AM R&L, they defend fullbacks better and gives my AMC more space to operate, which seems to be leading to some good chances. Sadly the AMC still doesn't support wings as I would like him to do.

Try and get your central attacking midfielder to move into the channels, or make him learn this as a Player Preferred Movement. It's not easy to get him to support the wings as it would be desired to, but him moving into the channels is the only one that you can really do.

Get him to possibly swap positions with one of your wingers?

Hmm, currently I have wide play set to hut touchline in order to get him into wide positions. Doesn't seem to work very well, altough he makes good job getting space in the centre and behind the defensive line. Moving to channels should help that even more. PPMs seem to be impossible for him, always says that it doesn't benefit his game.

Swapping positions... I could try, if it doesn't do any harm that he will play as AML though not having any position ability in it?

And thank you very much for that modern fullback article, player I got to that role is on top 10 in tackles/game and assists, and he hasn't even played a full season.

Looking also forward to that modern central midfielder, definitely going to add (or change roles, as I have good amount of central midfielders) one to my team.

Hmm, currently I have wide play set to hut touchline in order to get him into wide positions. Doesn't seem to work very well, altough he makes good job getting space in the centre and behind the defensive line. Moving to channels should help that even more. PPMs seem to be impossible for him, always says that it doesn't benefit his game.

Swapping positions... I could try, if it doesn't do any harm that he will play as AML though not having any position ability in it?

And thank you very much for that modern fullback article, player I got to that role is on top 10 in tackles/game and assists, and he hasn't even played a full season.

Looking also forward to that modern central midfielder, definitely going to add (or change roles, as I have good amount of central midfielders) one to my team.

Retrain him into an AML. But thanks, your comments are appreciated.

Ashley_Young.jpg

Creating the Central Winger
  • · Creating the modern Central Playmaker into Football Manger
The Central Winger

Players who played as winger roles a couple years ago have simply moved to play as a number ten, now making them play in their “natural” position. When Wesley Sneijder was at Real Madrid he would usually play in the wings. Though when moved to Jose Mourinho’s Inter side he was put in the number ten role and would base the tactic around him.

Also other players, that have spent their formative years as wingers are now playing in the central playmaking role this season. Ashley Young at Aston Villa, Adam Ljajic at Fiorentina, Mathie Valbuena at Marseille. These players seem to be change the way the playmaker thinks causing changes into the modern game.

The result that these players give to the playmaker position is different. Instead of staying in the center waiting to find space, they move to the flanks and get the ball there. This give the other players to move to the center or other areas since the player takes a player with him to the flanks. Give themselves better option of passing the ball to a player.

42881bd1e1.jpg

Ashley Young’s passes higher on the flanks rather than the center of the pitch. Bring towards the point that the central winger moves into flanks to obtain the ball and play it off. Another example (below) is Fiorentina’s Adam Ljajic, when on defensive duties (on the left) he stays on the center but as soon as Fiorentina break away towards the attack (central and right picture) he moves towards the left and right flank to receive the ball.

42c289af67.jpg

Football Manager

In the article I have chosen to choose the Inter team, as I mentioned how Jose Mourinho has take Sneijder into this role. Sneijder had a great season last year, and was all over the place with wonder passes, has a beautiful shot, and knows where all his teammates are. Probably one of the best players of the modern game.

d6d212685a.jpg

As seen (above) Sneijder, will be playing in the center of two other central midfielders, he will be moving to right and left to get the ball and give to another player to create the play, explaining his playmaker role.

92d2ef52dc.jpg

For his position to work, he has to have at least 13 in the following attributes:

• First Touch: The being of every players play is his first touch, if he has a bad first touch the team will not get anything from him since he has to have a decent first touch to pass the ball in a good angle when he get a pass to him.
  • Passing: Having a good passing skill here is very important, the player has to be able to make good passes and direct to player, if he has a bad passing rating, his passes will not get towards him, but if he as a good pass, it will no doubt reach the player its intended for.
  • Creativity: He is the playmaker after all, so he has to be creative he has to see what will be the better option to his intellectual ideas with a creative pass helping him choose what to do, creativity is a very important attribute here.
  • Decisions: The play maker has to have a great decision attribute, because he has to make sure he is doing the right thing, there are many options when he has the ball in his feet but which one is the best out of all of them, that’s where this comes to plays deciding.
  • Teamwork: He has to have good teamwork, he has to be able to rely on his teammates and his teammates to rely on him, if not how are they going to get or receive the ball?
00fdc7fcd0.jpg

For the modern role to work, we have to fix some of the things given. He has to be able to play wide, hug the touchline, he has to be in each side at all times, to get better results and opening up the play for him and his teammates, he has to have a lot of creative freedom, and mostly be attacking, for the player to be looking for the ball.

In Match Example

ebea7d213e.jpg

(Above) Maicon has the ball, and he is going to pass it to Zannetti, and Sneijder as seen has moved into the flank bringing to defenders with him leave a gap in the center of Roma's number 10 and 33. Which in when Maicon will give the ball to Zannetti, and Zannetti will give Sneijder a pass, once he moves to the gap.

a54789eb3d.jpg

(Above) Zannetti has the ball now and Sneijder has moved back to the center to receive the ball, as seen Pandev will move towards the open space left once Sneijder took player 33 with him, leaving Pandev for and option to cross, or pass it back.
aa5d5e7ac1.jpg

(Above) Sneijder has the ball and Pandev is moving towards the open space still, which Sneijder will give him the ball, with him to give the ball into the box, shoot, or cut it back for a normal pass.
2acc6dd045.jpg

(Above) Pandev recieves the ball, and is going to give towards the space were Sneijder is, giving Sneijder a run to either cross, pass or shoot, in this case he shot one touch which resulted into a goal.

Match Analysis

4032a9995c.jpg

In the picture (above), its shown that most of Sneijder's passes were on the flanks, leaving a few in the center. Which shows that Sneijder was all over the place as he is supposed to as a Central Winger. With him moving from flank to flank, giving the teams options, bringing great results to the team.

Conclusion

Central winger is a great position to have in your team as the player gives the team more options, bringing great results to the team, and giving the whole team a morale boost. Possible one of the best positions in modern football, that help you in the game, and should not be taken lightly since he exploits the other team leaving them with gaps in important areas.

interesting point there.
by the way, can you post pandev, stankovic and also etoo PI ?

Last edited:
@ retslagoon - If you are going to quote a post that long, at least put it in spoiler tags...

OT: Great stuff lads. Keep it coming. :)

The same as any other tag:
Start with
Code:
[SPOILER]
and end it with the same except with a / in front of the word. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back