An [Amateur] Tactician's Chalkboard for FM11

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 694
  • Views 450K
Status
Not open for further replies.
GK:gomes

RB: vedran corluka Role: full back (automatic)

CB:woodgate, dawson Role: Central defender(defend)

LB: baines Role: full back ( Automatic)

DMR: Rodwell Role: anchor man(defend)

DML:nuri sahin Role:deep lying playmaker(support)

AMR: aaron lennon Role: winger (support)

AMC: van der vaart Role: attacking midfielder( Attack)

AML:bale/modric Role: winger(support)

Striker: Sergio ageuro role: complete forward( attack)

i am following your style 1(rigid philosophy wid staring strategy control) and till now it didn't give me positive aspect of my game....my team failed to gel with one another during the match..

i play 4231 deep...but my team always lost against the bigger opponents..also my passing and possession rate are not so tight enough....they seem to lose possession many times...any useful suggestion is welcomed..

GK:gomes

RB: vedran corluka Role: full back (automatic)

CB:woodgate, dawson Role: Central defender(defend)

LB: baines Role: full back ( Automatic)

DMR: Rodwell Role: anchor man(defend)

DML:nuri sahin Role:deep lying playmaker(support)

AMR: aaron lennon Role: winger (support)

AMC: van der vaart Role: attacking midfielder( Attack)

AML:bale/modric Role: winger(support)

Striker: Sergio ageuro role: complete forward( attack)

i am following your style 1(rigid philosophy wid staring strategy control) and till now it didn't give me positive aspect of my game....my team failed to gel with one another during the match..

i play 4231 deep...but my team always lost against the bigger opponents..also my passing and possession rate are not so tight enough....they seem to lose possession many times...any useful suggestion is welcomed..

I would advise that you review the roles that you have given your players. Examples are in players like Aaron Lennon, Luka Modric, Sergio Aguero and Rafael van der Vaart being played in roles that don't suit them. They comply with different ones instead. The following roles should be applied:

• Aaron Lennon: Inside Forward, Attack
  • Gareth Bale: Winger, Attack
  • Rafael van der Vaart: Advanced Playmaker, Support
  • Sergio Aguero: Poacher, Complete Forward, Attack

• Jack Rodwell: Defensive Midfielder, Defend, Deep-Lying Playmaker, Defend
  • Michael Dawson: Limited Defender, Defend / Stopper

Also consider pushing your central midfielders from the defensive midfield position into the central midfielder position. It would benefit a lot more and have your attacks supported a lot better because the midfielders are able to attack more freelance, rather than sit ahead of the back four and protect them from opposition attacks.

Try making the tempo of the play moderate, and towards the middle of the slide, rather than on Slow. Time Wasting can be adapted to Often, or rather close to it so that the team tries to retain possession a lot better with Short Passing and expressive creativity.

Lastly, Luka Modric plays best as a CMr / CMl, not a AML.

thank you inickstuff..........will post my performance later....one qustn will it be better to have expressive creativity on rigid philosophy???

iNickStuff when will be new article?

Like I responded to Jones, it will be soon. Within a couple of weeks I'd assume.

thank you inickstuff..........will post my performance later....one qustn will it be better to have expressive creativity on rigid philosophy???

You're better with a Balanced or Fluid philosophy, given the capabilities of your squad.

here is my 2011-12 squad:

defense: corluka, baines, dawson,king, woodgate, kaboul, shawcross,rodwell

midfield:modric, nuri sahin, huddlestone, sandro, bale, lennon, krancjar, dos santos, vdv,de rossi

striker: aguero,babacar, christian barthez, dzeko, defoe

wht tactics should i apply to get the best outta my team??????????

I would advise that you review the roles that you have given your players. Examples are in players like Aaron Lennon, Luka Modric, Sergio Aguero and Rafael van der Vaart being played in roles that don't suit them. They comply with different ones instead. The following roles should be applied:

• Aaron Lennon: Inside Forward, Attack
  • Gareth Bale: Winger, Attack
  • Rafael van der Vaart: Advanced Playmaker, Support
  • Sergio Aguero: Poacher, Complete Forward, Attack

• Jack Rodwell: Defensive Midfielder, Defend, Deep-Lying Playmaker, Defend
  • Michael Dawson: Limited Defender, Defend / Stopper

Also consider pushing your central midfielders from the defensive midfield position into the central midfielder position. It would benefit a lot more and have your attacks supported a lot better because the midfielders are able to attack more freelance, rather than sit ahead of the back four and protect them from opposition attacks.

Try making the tempo of the play moderate, and towards the middle of the slide, rather than on Slow. Time Wasting can be adapted to Often, or rather close to it so that the team tries to retain possession a lot better with Short Passing and expressive creativity.

Lastly, Luka Modric plays best as a CMr / CMl, not a AML.

here is my 2011-12 squad:

defense: corluka, baines, dawson,king, woodgate, kaboul, shawcross,rodwell

midfield:modric, nuri sahin, huddlestone, sandro, bale, lennon, krancjar, dos santos, vdv,de rossi

striker: aguero,babacar, christian barthez, dzeko, defoe

wht tactics should i apply to get the best outta my team??????????

If you use what I suggested earlier, then you should be fine.

hey one thng i played luka modric down the left wing and he got man of the match 2times out of 3...:\

hey one thng i played luka modric down the left wing and he got man of the match 2times out of 3...:\

I never said it was a bad thing to play Modric at LW, I just said that it's not his best position. That's a good thing.

i need help with juventus i want to play 424 tactic i have this players:
buffon
storari
ziegler
de ceglie
bonucci
sorensen
chiellini
barzagli
lichsteiner
pepe
krasic
martinez
marchiso
pirlo
sissoko
melo
matri
del piero
toni
quagliarella
amauri
iaquinta

Would you describe Rooney's new role as a modern second striker or a modern playmaker?

Last edited:
I think second striker he plays in the hole behind Chicharito

Thought that at first but his stats last season 17 goals 16 assists in all competitions would using him as a modern second striker get the best of both assists and goals

Would you describe Rooney's new role as a modern second striker or a modern playmaker?

Second Striker.

Too much of a nomadic forward and hones the majority of the traits to be a centre forward to be recognised as a playmaker. More or less the opposite to a Trequartista in terms of hard work and their movement.

iNick do you have any ideas on how to implement the role ramires played for dunga in fm
A box to box midfielder that is in central midfield when his team are defending and becomes a winger when his team regains possession

How Argentina should play

Argentina in Copa America

Argentina’s recent “success” in Copa America inspired me to write this article. Many of you probably have watched some of Argentina’s games from TV, and have noticed that even fans of Albicelestes have been very disappointed with their performance. And of course, the Messiah, Lionel Messi hasn’t been himself, and has founded himself in middle of critics in news all over the world.

Two of the first games were simply bad, Sergio Batista trying to replicate Barcelona to build his team around Messi, while Argentina has 3 world class number 9 strikers, Tevez, Aguero and Higuain. They have also Lavezzi, who had great season it Italy, but he moves more freely, often playing as a winger, both scoring and creating. So having top strikers left out of the starting 11 and use Messi as a striker in a false nine role and using Tevez as a winger, doesn’t sound that good. Other problem is midfield, Cambiasso, Gago, Banega or Mascherano being anywhere near of Iniesta’s or Xavi’s quality, not using the space left by Messi’s movement. Batista was forced to try some other approaches, which weren’t successful either.

Of course, this isn’t the whole truth. Last game of group stage against Costa Rica was another story. Messi was moving behind the strikers and on the right hand side of the pitch, looking for space and made several through balls to forwards. Higuain was in a traditional striker role, while Aguero and Di Maria made a good partnership on the left side, both moving into channels when Higuain made space with his movement, Aguero starting his runs from wider position, and Di Maria involved more to the build up play. Batista realized same thing that I knew even before the Copa America had started; their midfield isn’t good enough to set up Messi, so he should set up others. This lead to 2 assists by Messi, and third one wasn’t far away, when Lavezzi missed the net, hitting the post from a similar chance where Aguero and Di Maria scored.

My idea for Argentina

I decided to make my own tactic suited for Argentina. Keys to this tactic are how to play Messi to get the best out of him and how to use the quality strikers. Also the midfield is something to think about. This is what I got:

View attachment 184815

As you can see, it uses 4-2-3-1 formation, with another midfielder playing deeper, covering the defensive line. I like it to be attacking, as Argentina has lots of attacking players, but their midfield isn't very capaple for creating and keeping the ball for a long time, at least in real life, in FM that is actually quite easy to do, but I don't want to use the flaws of the ME to build up this tactic, otherwise I would have used 3 strikers. Messi is used as the playmaker, no target man assinged, I have just heard that ticking it will get the ball forward more quicker. Not pressing the whole pitch, as it will tire players, and forces to use high defensive line, which I don't want to use because of lack of space at the back.

Player roles

View attachment 184796

Messi is played as a winger, because I want him to create the chances, as Banega and Cambiasso doesn't have the quality to create most of the chances. Pastore has potential, but he has played only few minutes so far in Copa America. Also Messi has lots of space to run with ball as a winger. He should both score and create, altough you can get more out of him when playing him in another position, but this way I can use also other attacking players. No wide play, he already cuts inside because of his PPM and move into channels drag him out of position.

View attachment 184797

Agüero, Di Maria or Lavezzi on the other side of the pitch. Searches for space behind the defence, supporting the striker and tries to get into scoring chances. Trying to act like Agüero and Lavezzi against Costa Rica when Messi made 2 über passes, Agüero scoring but Lavezzi hitting the post.

View attachment 184798

Milito, Higuain or Agüero. Only thing he has to do is score, anything else you get is a bonus. Trying to break the defensive line with direct running. Move into channels sometimes makes him to drift into wider position, but it is covered by Tevez.

View attachment 184800

Tevez, acting like a second striker, role made by iNickStuff, you can find that role from the OP of this thread. Only little tweaks to make it suit the tactic. Only player with man marking and closing down at maximum, because his stamina and workrate allows him to act like a headless chicken when defending. Also good mental skills allows him to tackle hard. Trying to read Higuain's movement and fill the space he leaves.

Defensive players were ordered to play simple game, short passing and no running, fullbacks supporting attacks, but not taking any risks. Pastore/Banega in MCL acting quite advanced though, even little too advanced, as you can see soon.

Striker partnership

View attachment 184801

This simple picture shows how strikers read each others game. Higuain has gone to wide position, and has recieved the ball. Tevez then goes forward to fill the position left by Higuain. Messi also has a small involvement, going to more central position. This leads to Higuain making a cross, intercepted by Alex, #3

Semi-final against Brazil

Game against Brazil was a good chance to test how my team plays. Brazil used a very defensive 5-1-2-2 formation with wingbacks. So at least 3 CBs and DM defending all the time, allowing wingbacks, centre midfielders and strikers to act in a more attacking manner. This was very difficult to break, and I won 2-3 after extra time. Brazil scored from a penalty, which was given way too easily, and Marcelo scored the other one with a amazing long shot hitting the bar. I am going to show my first 2 goals in that match, 3rd one was an own goal from a corner so not much to show.

View attachment 184802

Ansaldi has recieved the ball from Mascherano after he intercepted Brazil's clearance. Ansaldi has lots of space to run with ball, but only passing option being Agüero. Brazil has marked my players very tightly.

View attachment 184803

As instructed, Ansaldi doesn't run with ball but passes it to Agüero, who has some space to dribble, as marked with a red box. Now Tevez makes a wrong decision, running towards Milito when he should run to position of the other arrow, to make more options for cross. Here you can also see how many defensive players Brazil has.

View attachment 184804

Agüero cuts inside as a right footed player. Pastore acting little too advance now, taking away the space of Agüero. Tevez and Milito waiting for a proper ball or rebound.

View attachment 184805

Even though lots of players aroung him, Agüero sends a pass in targeting for Milito. Black box indicates the space where the ball goes. Going too close to keeper would mean easy interception for him, too far away from goal meaning that defenders could intercept the pass or giving Milito too little time.

View attachment 184806

Milito finishes well after 1 touch. Immediately after Milito's strike there is 7 Brazilians inside their own box and 1 more just outside the box marking Pastore.

View attachment 184807

Mascherano made another interception and played the ball to Messi. Pastore is recieving treatment, but there is still 3 players waiting for a cross. Messi has also possibilities to play the ball back to Mascherano or to Zanetti, who is supporting the attack.

View attachment 184808

Again there is a small space where the ball could be delivered. Messi cuts inside, and after a few steps sends a ball towards Milito.

View attachment 184809

Milito finishes with a diving header. Again, lots of Brazilians near their own goal, leaving only Robinho and Luis Fabiano upfront.

Match stats

View attachment 184810

I had more shots, and most of them being from short range, while most of Brazil's attemps where long shots. Their only clear cut chance being the penalty. I also controlled possession, altough it wasn't something I tried to achieve. I also ran less than Brazil, which can sometimes give the difference needed to win the game.

In final game against Uruguay (sorry, no screenshots) I controlled the game, them having only few chances while I had several chances. Finally I scored a winner with a counter attack, Messi making a superb assist over the defenders, sendind Higuain to 1-on-1 with a keeper. He doesn't miss, and Argentina win the Copa America. Messi had a half time rating of 6,5 but full time rating of 8,1 picking the man of the match award.

Conclusions

Some keys to make a succesful tactic to Argentina: Use Messi as a creator, as they lack quality in midfield. Use attacking approach, quick with counter attacking. Make sure that the world-class attacking players offer through ball options for Messi, and also to other players.

Also I want to point out that this wasn't meant to be a tactic tweaked to win everything, but more of a roughly made system where Argentina should build on.

I had some very good time writing this article. First it was ready 3 days ago, but then some problems occured and I had to write this all over again, getting it ready just 20 minutes before next match of Argentina. Anyway I hope this encouragages more people to write their own article. Good idea if you are stuck in your long term save and need some changing. It can also give you some tactical ideas to improve your tactics. Also, I'm sorry that this is quite short, I finished it with a hurry, but I also hope that it contains everything worth of mentioning. I'm delighted to answer any questions, or even edit later to make improvements if necessary.

Hope you enjoy it, greetings from Finland!

Last edited:
Very well done SS. Looks better than mine. :)

Linking it to the OP now.

Sergio Batista should have taken my advice, at least I won Uruguay ^^

My approach provided what Argentina was missing, quick passing and direct off the ball movement. Goal scored by Higuain was similar to my second goal against Brazil, Messi cuts inside, good lob over the defenders and a header by striker. Only difference is that my goal scorer was Diego Milito.

Status
Not open for further replies.