An [Amateur] Tactician's Chalkboard for FM11

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 694
  • Views 451K
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at post 572, I actually asked you, but you never answered my question..

I saw your post, but I had decided upon uploading the database first before anything else and then get back to it. Then post # 573 required me to clear up the problem about the web browser and images.

Can you help me with my defence? I have evra, vidic, rio and rafael, and i play with an anchorman in front of them (de rossi) but i leak to many goals, and i have one of the best defences in the world.. and my goalkeeper is adler, so its not his fault.

You still provide inadequate and insufficient information for me to help you. Screenshots, more information on your defence and some of your results would be helpful. I don't even know what year your save is in.

If you look at post 572, I actually asked you, but you never answered my question..

Who can give proper answer to that question? You tell us who you have in defence, but where is the information? What kind of defensive line, screenshots of PIs of your defenders, what formation, do you use offside trap etc. It is hard to help if you don't know where the problem is.

74524-albums705-176229.jpg

'modern Tacticians: Vicente del Bosque

• To review the methods and styles of the coach for the Spanish national team over the time that he has been a manager.
  • To look at his time with Los Galacticos and what formations he deployed during his short three-year tenure at Santiago Bernabéu.
  • To look at the methods of the former Besiktas boss, and life after Madrid.

Article #10: The 'modern Series
Monday, 13th June 2011

How many Spanish managers can say that they have won the World Cup, the most prestigious and coveted prize in all of world football with their home nation? None of them. Except for the current manager of the Spain national team, Vicente del Bosque. That's right. The two-time UEFA Champions League and La Liga winner that was dismissed from the Bernabeu in the summer of 2003, as the men upstairs wanted 'more' in a manager and take them to the top. More? How could you get more from someone who brought in the likes of Luis Figo, David Beckham and Zinedine Zidane, all world superstars, as well as two of whom that are former FIFA World Player of the Year award winners, brought to the capital of Spain for huge fees but yet still able to win it all. Florentino Perez thought otherwise.

Now, he had brought something home, to the motherland of Tiki-Taka if you will (in the sense that F.C. Barcelona deploy the methodologies of it with great success) that has eluded La Roja for years. Up until 2010, Spain had never been finalists in the World Cup. Prior to the 2010 World Cup, the closest that the Spanish had made was fourth place in the 1950 World Cup and then quarter-finals being their bogey, and a bitter disappointment to the home faithful every time that they did. The 2002 World Cup staged in South Korea and Japan would be the last that they would see of the quarter-finals and then be thoroughly annoyed at the fact that they did not get further.

Blazing through the group stages unbeaten in three consecutive wins against Slovenia, Paraguay and South Africa, the Spanish cleansed their group stages top and unbeaten. Next would be the Republic of Ireland standing in their way, but overcame the Boys in Green with 3-2 penalty shootout win. It was only until the next round that they would be defeated by the hosts themselves in South Korea, with a jubilant 5-3 win on penalties. Heartache once more and the Spaniards were going home.

[video=youtube;Xj-4gM29C74]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj-4gM29C74[/video]

Here is a YouTube video of the highlights in which Spain were defeated on penalties after a stalemate in normal time.

As much as Spain weren't clear favourites to win the tournament, it's difficult to see how a team that honed talented players in Raul Gonzalez, Ivan Helguera, Fernando Hierro, Diego Tristan, Gaizka Mendieta and Co. would not be able to defeat a, yes stubborn and ruthless, but inferior South Korean side. Pretty sure that neutral supporters expected it too if my mind serves me well back a good eight to nine years when it was on the TV.

The most notable players from that eleven were probably goalkeeper Lee Woon-Jae and Park Ji-Sung.

Post-Madrid, and how Los Galacticos have got on since Del Bosque

Del Bosque's departure from Real Madrid did not come without it's criticism. Believe it or not. The mustachioed tactician waved goodbye to the bright lights of a team that had so much success under him, as well as bring out players into the open with chances of making the first-team and promoted from the depths of Madrid's "reserve" side in Castilla. Claude Makelele faced the wrath of Florentino Perez too, following the club's refusal to improve his pay salary, despite him being one of the world's best defensive midfielders at the time. As time passed, Real Madrid have appointed and sacked nine managers in just nine years. The average time spent at the helm of Real Madrid in that time was a mere 10 months. The longest was held by Bernd Schuster with 17.

This excludes Jose Mourinho by the way.

Schuster, the former Real Madrid player, won the league and the Supercopa de Espana (Spanish Super Cup translated) from July 2007 from when Fabio Capello was given the boot until early December in 2008. It only took eleven days for Capello to be replaced, seventeen months for Schuster to be sacked and less than 24 hours for his successor-to-be-sacked, Juande Ramos, followed by Manuel Pellegrini, followed by Jose Mourinho, the current boss. Mourinho stands in at 13 months as the manager of Real Madrid, four short of Schuster's record and two years and one month off from Del Bosque's three years and two months in the seat of Los Blancos.

Here are some interesting facts:

Under Del Bosque:

• Real Madrid ran up a bill in ingoing transfer of over £300million, one of the transfers contained the monstrous £72million signing of Zinedine Zidane from Italian outfit, Juventus in 2001. That translates into 150billion Italian Lire. The record was broken eight years on by the same club with the world record signing of Cristiano Ronaldo for £80million.
  • Real Madrid never sold a player. Every season under Del Bosque, no player was sold, but rather signed.
  • They had won the league twice under one manager. Something not done since the days of Macedonian-born Yugsolav Miljan Miljanic from 1974 to 1977. He still lives today in his eighties.
  • They had won the UEFA Champions League twice for the first time. Only first time because it was re-named to it's current name some time ago, but the feat was still not achieved altogether since Miguel Munoz was in charge of the club. Munoz won nine league titles and two European Cups from 1960 to 1974. He unfortunately passed away in 1990.
  • Real Madrid sacked him three times. Two of which were in the same decade. The first was from March to May in 1994, the second in the same month of January 1996 and then the last being from November 1999 to June 2003.
Since Del Bosque:

• Real Madrid have spent almost £1billion in terms of ingoing transfers. Totalling small transfers such as Steve McManaman's free transfer from Liverpool to Madrid to the huge purchase of Ronaldo two years back, Los Galacticos have spent over £800million. A gigantic £600million loss over the last nine years, covered by current club President, Florentino Perez since taking the role in 2000.
  • Real Madrid pay just over twenty of the last 51 players they have bought in the last nine years. Players include Lassana Diarra, who joined from English second-division outfit Portsmouth F.C. in the January transfer window of 2009 for £19million, Spanish playmaker Xabi Alonso and of course, Cristiano Ronaldo.
  • Not been able to maintain the gap between themselves and the rising F.C. Barcelona. In the days of Del Bosque, city rivals Barca had never won the league. The following season, the Catalans captured the La Liga title, beating Madrid to the crown by eight points after a two-horse race fort he coveted Spanish domestic championship, and then again the following season - this time by a landslide of 12 points. 82 points for F.C. Barcelona, 70 for lowly Madrid. Luckily enough they were not overtaken by a strong and forceful Valencia team.
  • None of the nine managers that were appointed and sacked since Del Bosque (and even Mourinho) have managed the club for more than 100 games. The Spanish tactician managed the players in white for a total of 233 games (according to Wikipedia) which excludes his two previous appointments. Once again, Bernd Schuster came close within his seventeen months, with 75 games. Coincided with the fact that Schuster's Madrid scored 156 goals, but conceded 100. He conceded more than his team should have ... far more, might I add.
But we can forget about that and move on to the next part.

The tactician's preferences

74524-albums705-176387.png

The t
áctico (means tactician in Spanish) had favours towards the 4-4-1-1 and the 4-4-2 than most. Reason being is of two. First of all, the motto under Florentino Perez since taking over the club has genuinely been having a squad full of Galacticos (Galactics, superstars really). When Capello was in charge, Perez gave the Italian little space to manoeuvre tactically and input his own ideas. He kept to the regime of always playing star players, week in and week out. Which is also the reason why the players were so fatigued and tired and probably why the league went down to the wire, where Madrid and Barcelona were level on points by the goal difference split the two.

The second reason is also related to the first, in that there has seemingly been a belief in football, since Perez was installed as President, that the club has a group of Galacticos. The same was with Del Bosque, and the huge signings he made were based around that player. The whole team would be focused on giving that player the ball all the time and making him the star of the show. In return would be goals, assists, world-class performances everytime that he stepped onto the pitch and lit up the stadium like a Christmas tree. Hence why Zidane, Ronaldo, Beckham and Figo were brought to the club. Altogether, those four cost over £200million. When played altogether, it was hoped that they would be the best force in Europe.

The 4-4-1-1 favoured the four because it meant that two of them would play on the wings (Beckham and Figo) whilst the other two would play in a STC-AMC partnership (Zidane and Ronaldo), if you want to go into Football Manager terms. The changed from time-to-time, and when they were not fit, others would step to the plate, such as Steve McManaman. It gave freedom to the team in which they could easily split open the world's best defences at times and create some brilliant attacking football.

[video=youtube;t4SHPxVzPB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4SHPxVzPB8[/video]

Just watch this clip of the UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg at Old Trafford between Manchester United and Real Madrid. United won the match 4-3, but Madrid went on to win on aggregate 6-5. Ronaldo scored a hat-trick with a beautiful goal in one of them and a memorable free-kick from David Beckham after entering the fray as a substitute made for a marvellous game of footy.

VdB changes formations and modernizes his mentality

74524-albums705-176581.png

VdB (Vicente del Bosque for those who may not be aware of the acronym) had been out of a managerial job for three years since his sacking from Turkish heavyweights Besiktas J.K., so it was thought by him to start re-shuffling the ideas and methodologies he once had at Madrid in 2003. In spite of the offer previously to become the head of the national team, the Spanish F.A. were insistent, and Del Bosque accepted the job offer following Luis Aragones' departure. Prior, the Mexican F.A., (FEMEXFUT) offered $2million-a-year deal to the Salamanca-born tactician, but was turned down. Even after a lengthy discussion with the head of the football association.

During the three years of hiatus, Del Bosque took a backseat director role, where he watched the likes of F.C. Barcelona and Real Madrid, analysing the dyversification of the game since he had been out of a job and, now being the head coach of the Spanish team, needed to catch up with what is still an evolving game. It also meant that Spain would see eight players debut for the national side. Including Gerard Pique. Fernando Amorebieta, the Athletic Bilbao defender, was called up to La Roja, but failed to debut.

VdB then went on to deploy a formation that resembled fellow compatriot Josep Guardiola's beliefs in an attacking 4-5-1, or rather known to be a 4-2-1-3, since one of the central midfielders disbands from the three and the wingers join up with the central striker to make a fearsome attacking trio in itself. The same was desired by Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, but has recently resorted to a formation that put ex-F.C. Barcelona youngster Cesc Fabregas at the focal point of the formation - the advanced playmaker and creative outlet.

You can see from the picture that it goes one of two ways in a 4-5-1 that has the midfield turned on it's head, or a 4-2-3-1 that drops the attacking midfielder deeper into the midfield. The same stylings have been deployed before by Holland's manager in Bert van Maarwijk but is far less fluent than of his World Cup final counterpart. The full backs attack from deep to stretch the midfield and make more numbers in the centre of the park for man-marking, whilst the central three turns into a 2-1, rather than a 1-2. The two central midfielders drop deeper, who are used to occupy the wingers. This was used in the 2010 FIFA World Cup final, and can be seen on ZonalMarking.net for more. The main central midfielder travels up the field to join up with the two attacking wingers/three forwards and creates an attacking four. The main central midfielder creates from deep whilst the two other forwards cut inside and provide through passes into the main forward.

Translated into the Spanish team;

• Sergio Ramos and/or Capdevila roam forward, becoming attacking fullbacks.
  • Sergio Busquets and Xabi Alonso loosely man-mark opposite wingers whilst the full backs retain the original man-to-man marking roles given prior.
  • Xavi roams up the pitch to join up with Pedro/Fernando Torres, David Villa and Juan Mata/David Silva/etc.
[video=youtube;07YnUA7rWtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07YnUA7rWtY&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

It's not Spain vs. U.S.A., but it's David Silva's superb performance against the Americans that happened earlier in June (I think). A good watch from a good channel, provided by YouTube user MrEuro14. I recommend him. Highly.

VdB's formation and roles (vaguely suggested)

74524-albums705-176608.png

I am not going to make a tactic or go deep into VdB's methods, but just run a few rings around it for you guys to understand what formation is. Vaguely. Very, very vaguely. I know how tetchy people get sometimes around a representation of the tiki-taka with Barcelona, so I don't aim to fully grasp what DB (Del Bosque) has done with the Spain national team. Just bear that in mind, folks.

But here we go.

Similarly, Del Bosque plays at a pace where few things are rushed, and pressing is tight, so that it makes it difficult for the opponents to get out of the blocks and to actually make a move of some sort. The same happened in the World Cup, and has been a general mentality in Spain since the tiki-taka has been associated with Barcelona. A high line, moderate tempo and everyone is occupying everyone else. The man-to-man marking is loose, but it is well organized because it retains the formation's original shape but makes it difficult, very difficult in fact, and just makes long passes more evident from the opposing team.

Attacking and defensive shapes

74524-albums705-176606.png

The formation conjures up shapes that are usually to the beneficiary of the team so that it doesn't get squandered by through passes and easy-to-avoid shots from the opposing team. When on the attack, the team in possession looks to stretch the play and the opposing team's defence. It also means that the full backs attacking and going forward are replaced by the defensive midfielders, so temporarily cover for them in a sort of patched-up defence if you will.

You can see from this picture the incoming overlap from Sergio Ramos (#2) to help press the Mexican fullback with Andres Iniesta (#9) who is in possession of the ball. As the opposing players go to close down, there will be space in the middle for the attack to become a lot more dangerous, and also allow for David Villa (#11) to run in from a through pass, latch onto it, and hopefully let 'er rip.

74524-albums705-176607.png

Defensively, the team becomes more conserved about the approach in attacking, and drops deeper. You can see Xavi (#8) drop back into the midfield three to get some numbers in and Sergio Busquets (#6) still filling Ramos' role as he tries to close down and man-mark the midfield. Both Xavi and Xabi Alonso (#7) are occupied with their players, but it shows that they are man-marking and trying to get a good pressing game still and making it difficult for the opposing players to get anywhere.

Counter-attacking

74524-albums705-176611.png

In the 3-1 win over Mexico, I picked out this goal to show because of the counter-attacking in it. Firstly, a cross is scuffled and the Spanish players are back to clear.

74524-albums705-176614.png

Iniesta receives the ball from a clearance. Gives him masses of space to use and to create from.

74524-albums705-176610.png

He drives through the centre of the midfield. Villa drops wide.

74524-albums705-176612.png

Cross into the box by Villa ...

74524-albums705-176613.png

Goal. Good counter attack and a good way to score it. Forward drops wide and the midfield presses. 3 vs 2 situation exposed once again.

So after this, I say thank you ...

And good night.

Last edited:
hi guys I beat barca 6-2 witht the help from nick using his modern full/wing back and modern centre forward. playing a 442 with chica poacher i will upliad vid of game.

That latest article on VDB is absolutely immense and a good read :) I adored that galactico era, and that was probably the only reason why i wasn't too disheartened seeing becks leave (being a manchester united fan myself).

I also remember watching that free kick on tele a few years back. Beckham is still class in my opinion.

Back on topic:Good work mate

That latest article on VDB is absolutely immense and a good read :) I adored that galactico era, and that was probably the only reason why i wasn't too disheartened seeing becks leave (being a manchester united fan myself).

I also remember watching that free kick on tele a few years back. Beckham is still class in my opinion.

Back on topic:Good work mate

Thanks, I aam appreciative of the positive comment and your enjoyment of reading my latest article. He is a superb tactician and deserves all the praise he can get right now.

Thanks again.

iNickStuff what would you say is the best tactic for a top team that gives the best results in every area of the pitch?

Im asking this because im currently using a 4-2-3-1 but it doesn't seem to gel that much together during the match though. My players don't really create much CCC but i still managed to score 90 goals in the league last season. My defence looking shaky when under pressure as well and I often had to rely on the goalkeeper. I hate when teams play balls in behind my back four.

Another problem that i have is Lavezzi doesn't really run onto balls. He sometimes stands stagnant when other players have an opportunity to play a through ball. Neymar and Robben don't really score as much as i would like them to.

Sandro and Vidal are probably my biggest under achievers because theyre great players but Sandro got an average rating of 7.11 and Vidal a flat 7.

Ill tell you my team but I cant put a screenine up because im away from home.

Gk - Emiliano Viviano
Rb - Marcelo(Regen) Hes like Danie Alves minues the dribbling skills. Role - Full back - Attack
Cb - Phil Jones. Role - Central defender - Defend
Cb - Johan Djourou. Role - Central defender - Defend
Lb - Jose Enrique. Role - Full back - Attack
Cm - Sandro. Role - Ball winning mid - Defend
Cm - Vidal. Role - Ball winning mid - support
Rw - Robben. Role - Inside forward - Attack
Cam - Campora(Regen, similar to Messi). Role - Attacking Midfielder - Attack
Lw - Neymar. Inside forward - Attack
St - Lavezzi(Its on LFC's update so his finishing and composure is 16). Advanced forward.

Philosophy - Fluid
Strategy - Attack
Passing- Short
Creative freedom - Expressive
Tackling - Cautious
Marking - Zonal
Crosses - Drill
Roam from position

I basically need help to make my players perform better and look more together as a team. I want more goals with less conceded(conceded 20 last season). Im not sure how to do this because ive switched between control and attacking strategies, more expressive and default freedom etc. with out the results im looking for. Would direct passing make any difference and also would stand off pressing help with defensive frailties?

Thank you.

iNickStuff what would you say is the best tactic for a top team that gives the best results in every area of the pitch?

Im asking this because im currently using a 4-2-3-1 but it doesn't seem to gel that much together during the match though. My players don't really create much CCC but i still managed to score 90 goals in the league last season. My defence looking shaky when under pressure as well and I often had to rely on the goalkeeper. I hate when teams play balls in behind my back four.

Another problem that i have is Lavezzi doesn't really run onto balls. He sometimes stands stagnant when other players have an opportunity to play a through ball. Neymar and Robben don't really score as much as i would like them to.

Sandro and Vidal are probably my biggest under achievers because theyre great players but Sandro got an average rating of 7.11 and Vidal a flat 7.

Gk - Emiliano Viviano
Rb - Marcelo(Regen) Hes like Danie Alves minues the dribbling skills. Role - Full back - Attack
St - Lavezzi(Its on LFC's update so his finishing and composure is 16). Advanced forward.

Philosophy - Fluid
Strategy - Attack
Passing- Short
Tackling - Cautious
Marking - Zonal
Crosses - Drill
Roam from position

I basically need help to make my players perform better and look more together as a team. I want more goals with less conceded(conceded 20 last season). Im not sure how to do this because ive switched between control and attacking strategies, more expressive and default freedom etc. with out the results im looking for. Would direct passing make any difference and also would stand off pressing help with defensive frailties?

Thank you.

I think u want this thread : http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...hat-approach-suits-my-team-i-need-tactic.html

picture.php

How-to: Play (decently) successful possession football

• To discover the main aspects in how to retain possession.
  • To achieve a certain amount of success with possession-based tactics on potentially successful teams.

Article #3: The 'How-to' Series
Tuesday, 25th January 2011

So it's been nearly a fortnight since my last article, which looked at the current style and play of Spanish La Liga outfit, Villarreal, where the el Submarino Amrillo manager Juan Garrido, has been praised for his fluent football in which has been successful this season, leading them to third place in the league - nine points behind Real Madrid C.F. The article can be found here. But this article is going to go into a different series this time, instead of the 'modern series. This article will be based around playing decently successful football, based around controlling possession. I have been working on this for a while after thoughts on the next article and dabbled with a few teams here and there in seeing the main aspects in achieving this. So, lets move on into the article.

Possession in football ...

Arguably your greatest friend in football if you can grab it and use it to your advantage. But it can be your worst enemy if you have a lack of it and are put to the sword every game that you don't have it. It's like oxygen to the lungs - you need it (to be more literal) and, without oxygen, you cannot breathe. The same is in football, where teams cannot be successful in their tactics if their teams hasn't actually had a touch of the ball. If you look at today's dominant teams in Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid - they all play a certain style of football that has been praised over time for the way it is played, regardless of if it's attacking or defensive.

Arsenal play fluid passing and attacking football, week in, week out and they boast (tied with Manchester United) the most goals scored in the Premier League this season. The exact same can be said about Barcelona's dominating, yet inspirational football. Their 64 goals scored this season in comparison to 11 conceded shows that it cannot have been done, to an extent, without possession. It's almost impossible. So the same can be said about it in Football Manager.

I love playing possession football. Watching my team's colour dominate the opposition's colour whilst watching the match on Key and referring back to the Match Statistics and seeing at one point I am dominating over 60% of the play makes me feel calm inside. Domination of the ball, especially in modern football, is key to winning matches, as it would be amongst other things. And I say the word dominate because it is. Possession is a battle and if you lose the battle, you're more than likely to be exposed by the opposition. Even if you park the bus. But if you are to play possession football, it requires a number of things. The first we will cover is the overall team itself.

Requirements from your team to play possession football

If you have played Football Manager 2010 or regularly play the latest out, then when you start a new save, you will often have your introduction to the team (blah blah blah) and then you have advice from your backroom staff. The men parked next to you in the dugout every match giving you tactical and player advice in-and-around the club. Once you go into this, you have them introduce themselves and their best areas of training, recommended players in the team's weakest positions, the players and who should take the free-kicks, corners, throw-ins, the best players at being playmakers and target men but then there is the assessment of the team and what they are best at in comparsion to other teams in the league.

Now, if you are one of the most dominant teams in the league and have probably the best chance of winning the league, you will have your team being one of, if not the best in almost every department. But with possession football, you must achieve 'High' or 'Good' in certain areas - or risk dwelling in the relegation zone three-quarters into the season and your best players out through suspension or injury.

(Instead of bullet-pointing them, I will explain as I go along with screenshots)

picture.php

Contrary to thoughts, I picked Bayern Munich at random, and like I mentioned earlier, this is the usual screen that you have tactical advice from your new backroom staff. Here, you will have your squad's strengths and weaknesses in comparison to the other 19-or-so teams in your league. You would use this to depict what kind of formation you will use over the coming season and which to improve through the purchasing of players or the upbringing of youngsters through the club's youth system.

Now were are going to run through what you need to play possession football from your team:

High Aggression

This is required because your team should have it's tackling set to either Default or More Aggressive - whichever floats your boat and depending on the philosophical side of your tactic. A highly aggressive squad should be able to retain possession easily and be better at winning the ball off an opposition who may have players who do that job too. This is probably the most essential requirement from your squad.

Good Strength

Coupled with aggression, strength allows your players to battle the ball off of opposition players and be stronger on the ball. Without it, your team would find it hard to maintain possession and not be as good trying to regain possession - even if they are the most aggressive in the league. Strong teams are better at winning and maintaining possession.

High Concentration

Mentally, better concentrated players are able to focus on having the ball in their possession at most, if not all times. Low concentration means that passes may fall astray or tackles may turn into horrendous ones and actually have players who have poor aggression sent off or suspended on a regular basis. Players who are able to concentrate on the task at hand are then able to pass to the better option, find better ways of keeping the ball in their favour and adhere to the manager's instructions. This is regardless of their Creativity, Anticipation or sometimes Decisions.

High Determination

Essential as a mental stat, even if you're not playing possession football. If a team is highly determined, not only if they the possession rates are in the 60's, they are determined to maintain it. When they don't have it, they are determined to win it back again. Combine it with concentration, and they will concentrate on maintaining it and being successful in their short passes, tackles and attacking opportunities that arise if they are to counter the opposition.

Good Height

A tall squad should be good when winning aerial battles from the set-piece or even just generally. If your team has one of the shortest squads in the league, then you should look at your central defenders, defensive and central midfielders, and strikers being at least 6' 2 and above. At the least. Mix that with decent Heading and Jumping abilities and working on your set-pieces, you should be able to quell the danger quite well after goal kicks or long-passes from back to front.

Good Passing (optional)

Not a necessity, but is useful. A team that can pass the ball well have a good way of maintaining possession at a much better rate, as opposed to those who are just good in the areas that I covered in the abovementioned. Really, at least one of your central defenders, two-three of your central midfielders (or defensive midfielders) and one of your wingers should be accomplished in passing. They can expand the game in the counter attack or when possession is at a large enough rate to take the game to an inferior opposition that are trying to defend as best as they can.

Good Fitness (optional)

Again, optional. Fitness would be prioritised if you're playing a largely attacking game and have players who may not be able to keep up. Possession-based games often have the opposition tire out, rather than your own team, since you're the ones passing it around and them chasing it. Counter-attacking only really comes as a way of addressing this, but having a generally fit squad is useful if you want to start attacking fiercefully during the latter stages of the game.

Formations, formations, formations ...

When it comes to formations, you have an array of tactical set-ups that have their own advantages and disadvantages from the start. The 4-4-2 itself is the most commonly-used tactic in football, but it's use of a two-man midfield and standardised wingers makes it quite bare. To the very least, talented squads will be able to pull it off in a 4-4-2, or teams who address the key areas with flying colours. Here are some beneficial formations to choose from.

• 4-3-3/4-5-1: Utilises a triangular three-man midfield that can be varied in a workaholic midfielder, aggressive-tackler and a creator from deep. The two wingers can be used on the counter with pace and the lone centre-forward can drop deep to offer options.
  • 4-2-3-1 (Normal and deep) : The two central midfielders (or defensive midfielders if you have them deep) can often be used to destroy attacks from the opposition and give it to the attacking four or the central attacking midfielder, who then passes it on to three more options. Wingers can drop deep to make it two banks of four at times and make it difficult to attack (see Arsenal vs. Manchester City from this year, Emirates Stadium)
  • 4-1-4-1: Has a defensive midfielder sit ahead of the defence and can be played in two ways. A destroyer of attacks as the 'last midfielder' or as a playmaker to create from deep. Can be utilised again because of the two central midfielders ahead like in the 4-3-3/4-5-1 because of the triangular shape. Creates two banks of four and a middle man.
  • 4-1-3-2/4-3-1-2: Often used in Italian football, this formation, with it's lack of width, can be used successfully on the counter-attack, as the fullbacks push up and the attacking midfielder can join the attack and make it a 3-4-3, as one of the central midfielders drops deep to make a third centre half.

There are others but I don't want to ramble on further.

picture.php

So here is the tactics screen on default. The formation is the 4-3-3 because it's my favourite for playing possession football. Now, when playing possession football, you can only really pick two styles, but they can be expanded on if you really want to. There is the fluid, controlled-based type, where you control the possession but, when you have the majority of it, can attack fiercly without many consequences. This is popular in most cases because you can turn the possession into goals, and with that, win quite comfortably. My experiment with such will come up soon.

Style 1

picture.php

Like I said, there are two styles. This is the first style. If teams that have a decently aggressive, strong and tall team, they will most likely pick this. It compliments their attributes in playing an organised game in which frustrates the opposition by maintaining possession and tires them out at the same time because they are continually chasing the ball. Why do you think defenders pass it across their line every now and again? Not all the time obviously.

A rigid philosophy enforces organisation and good positioning (especially by the defence) so that they cannot really be exposed at the back and only a couple of players can really come out of position. It varies. A controlled strategy is kind of the key to the door. If you don't have it on Control really, you are going to struggle in maintaining possession. Hence it's name.

And as it goes along, short passing, a disciplined game and aggressive tackling really enforces organisation. That is the key to style one. Organisation. Marking zonally allows defenders to just mark the space, rather than the man, and doesn't drag them out of position, unlike man-to-man marking. Floating crosses was just done because your playing a slow tempo anyway and if you are playing a tall target man (as you should in defensive formations) then he is most than likely to win a good amount of headers - provided the aerial service is good.

A deep defensive line, again, allows them to not be exposed very easily, narrow width keeps the middle of the pitch congested and midfielders finding it difficult to get around because they will be outnumbered and a slow tempo, coupled with moderate time wasting keeps the possession in-and-around the defence and midfield. Focused passing down the wings allows the wingers to use their pace when needed and catch the opposition off-guard. Ticking the 'Counter-Attack' box allows your team, when defending a corner, defending a goal kick or having just retained possession, to again, catch the opposition off-guard and get a quick and sneaky goal to devastate them. Especially useful away from home.

Style 2

picture.php

Style two is actually interesting because it's what I, amongst others, like to call 'controlled attacking'. You have the possession, in which benefits you in several ways. But it benefits you the best because you can actually choose when to attack. The ball is literally in your court, or to an extent, your half of the pitch. Whenever you really want, you can take the game to the opposition and force them to sit deep and endure the onslaught, or tire them out by passing it around your defence and play to your crowd whilst they laugh and jeer the opposition players who slip and slide from failed attempts in gaining possession.

The philosophy in 'controlled attacking' can vary, because it really depends on your team's abilities. If your squad boasts some of the best players continentally, then playing fluid football will, not only be attractive, but utilise the abilities of your 'world-class players'. Again, the Control strategy is essential because, really, you want to have as much possession as possible in order to take control of the game. You can, however, change this during certain stages of the game where you feel that your team is just not doing enough to trouble your opponents.

Like style one, short passing benefits because your passing to the closest option. Concentration is needed here, as you want to be sure that the closest option is also the safest option. He could be man-marked, and that then gives a striker that may resemble Carlos Tevez to poach the ball and put it in the back of the net within seconds. Expressive freedom is needed because you want to have the ability to take the game to them, but in style. It benefits creative players or players with large bouts of creative freedom in their PI's and then make your team quite unpredictable.

There isn't much need to press. If you play a high line, then pressing is already done. And besides, you're already playing possession football, so pressing them will leave you exposed, rather than them. Aggressive tackling is quite a necessity because you are really wanting to have as much possession as you can, and playing cautiously won't necessarily do the job as well as aggressive tackling. Again, zonal marking keeps your team watching the space, rather than the man. But, if your team if your defenders are very good and highly efficient mentally, you can vary this in setting it to Default and just focus on players who may not be that good marking-wise. I forgot to put 'Drill Crosses' so forget that and More Roaming, coupled with More Expressive, gives that fluid football feel and unpredictability.

Like I mentioned earlier, playing a decently high defensive line presses into their half anyway, and the fullbacks push into their territory. And also, Press More with More Aggressive will have you booked a lot more times than if you were to leave it on default. It should only be equipped if you're playing extremely attacking, which is ill-advised.

Keeping the width narrow has benefits because you're congesting the midfield and making it difficult for the opposition to move around and just generally, for them, unable to expand. You don't have to play a slow tempo, but somewhere close to it allows you to control the game and it is recommended. You want to control the game, so playing a slow game can be beneficial. You cannot control the game possession-wise if you are playing a fast tempo. Put Time Wasting to about mid-way, mix around the passing so that it, again, makes it unpredictable and tick the 'Counter-Attack' box so that you are essentially ready whenever they are. Cover all corners of the pitch.

Defensive organisation - in both styles

picture.php

With testing tactics comes saves where you need to play at least half a season and tweak. I did this with F.C. Porto and have had great success. Here is a screenshot of when I played Sporting Braga in Liga ZON Sagres (and beat them 4-0) where we are off the ball. Braga have taken a goal kick and the ball has been headed down. Fernando wins the header, but that is not what I am focusing on. I am focusing on the defensive organisation of the team.

At the back, there is Jorge Fucile (#13) Nicolas Otamendi (#30) Maicon (#4) and Rafael (#2). Infront of them are strikrs Elton (#81) and Meyong Ze (#81). Now, the team is zonally marking the strikers infront and maintaining a defensive shape, yet high line in order to exploit them with the offside trap - to an extent. Played with Fluid philosophy, they still maintain their shape and line, whilst the ball is trying to be recovered.

picture.php

A few seconds after, Porto are in possession. Belluschi (#7) plays the ball onto energetic fullback Rafael as he starts to run down the wing in order to supply the overlap, as Belluschi is not a very fast players unfortunately. Now, in response to the movement of Elton, the striker, Maicon has dropped deeper to, not man-mark him, but to mark him within the zones that have been instructed. Otamendi, somewhat parallel, has his sights on Meyong Ze and is keeping tabs on him with zonal marking. Fucile, further up the pitch at left-back, is not necessarily in-line with Maicon and Otamendi, but because of the tactic, is allowed the ability to roam in certain lines of his position. Creative freedom, mixed with the freedom to roam, gives him this opportunity.

It is critical to have good defensive positioning in such styles of football, because leaving yourself exposed at the back allows counter-attacking football from the opposition to work successfully and to then make you owning the possession, seem like nothing. The attributes that would be required for such defending (your centre halves usually) are:

• Concentration
  • Decisions
  • Anticipation
  • Marking
  • Tackling
  • Team Work
  • Heading
  • Jumping
  • Determination (optional, but useful)

The playmaker, and his role

picture.php

Yes, I have stressed it in my other two articles, but in these modern times, you cannot really argue. There is always the need of some-sort of creativity. Regardless.

Now that you know why I chose Joao Moutinho are the cover for this article, Moutinho has been central to my Porto midfield and to my advances with a possession-dominating tactic. His passing abilities are uncanny to the majority of playmakers in the Portuguese top-flight and has already attracted interest from Spanish outfit Valencia - but I am not interested. With my three-man midfield always comes the need of variation, and Moutinho's role as a playmaker is expanded heavily because of his contribution to the team. Just look at his statistics so far:

picture.php

picture.php

Incase you cannot see the numbers and writing, the blue lines going across, generally mean a good thing. Moutinho has played every match for Porto this season in the 25 we have played, coincided with having completed 1,171 passes out of 1,271, which averages 92% of his passes being successful. That is actually better than Xavi's passing rate on my current game, who has, although completed more successful passes than Moutinho, has a 73% passage rate. 19% decrease from Moutinho's.

Aside from passing, his abilities as a team players is of similar success, having won 71 tackles from 97 attempted, averaging 73% success. He has won 29 headers from 48 attempted (averaging 60%) and covered 255.2km in distance, averaging also 10.3km over 90 minutes. Out of the 25 games he has played so far this season, he has won 23.

Now, my saves ...

Having seen screenshots from my F.C. Porto save, I want to now show you the success I have had on it. I am currently unbeaten all season, having won almost every game I've played and only drawn twice (three times if you count pre-season) . In the league, I am top of it, having won 11, drawn two and never lost, scoring 36 goals and conceding four (giving me a 32+ goal difference) and ahead of the team below me, S.L. Benfica, by six points. I have qualified for the next round of the Champions League after going unbeaten against Dynamo Kyiv, Maccabi Haifa and Stabaek IF. I beat S.L. Benfica in the Supertaca, whilst making it to the sixth round of the Taca de Portugal and third round of the Bwin Cup. Here are screenshots.

Also, I have a Sevilla save in which I have had success in, but nowhere near as good as the F.C. Porto save. Also half a season, I have managed to get into sixth place, now challenging for fourth spot whilst having a tough challenge in beating Inter Milan and getting a step closer in one of my board's expectations and make the semi-finals of the tournament. I have also faced Barcelona three times out of six this season, only winning once and have to face them another two times in a Copa del Rey semi-final double and one more time in the league to a rapturous Sanchez Pizjuain crowd. Not to mention that I am around a similar time to the present times of Sevilla, who in real-life, are eigth.

View attachment 127638 View attachment 127639 View attachment 127640 View attachment 127641 View attachment 127641 View attachment 127642 View attachment 127643

And finally, when you play possession football ...

• Play a narrow pitch to attribute a congested midfield.
  • Listen to your coaches. Vary your defensive line when playing away from home and adjust the width of your play to make it either contained or expansive.
  • Balanced and Fluid philosophies when adapting Style 2 don't really matter, but Fluid football just gives you that edge.
  • You don't need to play an offside trap if you're adapting Style 2. You are already pressing high enough to attribute an offside trap.
  • Possession football requires good attackers, and good attackers get you goals. So beware of that.
  • Don't press and play aggressive tackling, it will get you into hot water with referee on more than several occassions.
  • Be safe.

wht should be the role of 11 players?????? if a play wid 2 dms thn one is supporting role and another one is defend??????And wht should be the role of da striker????????????????

wht should be the role of 11 players?????? if a play wid 2 dms thn one is supporting role and another one is defend??????And wht should be the role of da striker????????????????

You don't need to quote the whole post, it takes too much space. Also I would recommend to use language that everyone understands. Some users and lurkers don't speak English as their native language.

And to your question, there isn't one answer. That article gave you the basic things you need to consider when making a possession based tactic, rest is in your own hands. Good way to play your midfield is to use destroyer-passer-creator combo, where one of the midfielders, the destroyer, wins the ball to your team and plays simple passes to players near him, usually ballwinning midfielder on defend or defensive midfielder on defend. Passer is a deep lying playmaker style of player, drops deep to get the ball and tries to play it forward, also balancing your game, sometimes passing simple passes backwards to slow down a bit. Deep lying playmaker on support or defend is good choise. Last, the creator, looks to break the defensive line with through balls or runs from deep. Advanced playmaker or any of the roles of AMC should be suitable. You should just mix up a bit and see what works.

ahh my bad..i was in a hurry to make the previous post.......so had some typical keyboard error...any way thnx for da suggestion

Gk - Emiliano Viviano

Philosophy - Fluid
Strategy - Attack
Passing- Short
Tackling - Cautious
Marking - Zonal
Crosses - Drill
Roam from position

Thank you.

Nope, I think I was correct the first time. I want this thread : http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ns-chalkboard-football-manager-2011-a-59.html

Fracpen was correct, and you should have used the thread he linked, but never mind. It's here now so I might as well answer it.

Maybe you should change the roles of your full backs, as putting them on Attack duty will expose your defence on the majority of occassions if your attack is not working out and losing possession quickly. Full Back in Automatic does just as fine as Full Back on Automatic. Less adventurous, yes, but it stops the defence being exposed down the wings. Especially when playing on wide or long pitches which encourage direct passing and quicker attacking.

I would also suggest making one of your defender a Limited Defender and the other to have the duty of Cover. Or even just the 'Stopper - Cover' system. Especially with a high line it could benefit, but I would look at the two defenders' mental stats (Concentration, Anticipation, Decisions, Determination, Work Rate, Teamwork - not all of them but Concentration, Anticipation and Decisions are the three most important).

If the midfield or attack of the opposition can be closed down by one of the central defenders, due to high Aggression and Bravery, then possibly the attacks would be less dangerous and nullified much quicker. Thus, high pressing, better attacking and a stronger defence.

I would also like to point out that playing Sandro as a Deep-Lying Playmaker on Support duty would be a good idea. As much as he is a good tackler and can win the ball, I would suggest him to have a more freelance role where he can still control the midfield, but be the 'creator' of the midfield pairing, next to a destroyer in Arturo Vidal. I don't know what Campora's attributes and PPM's are, but maybe playing him as an Inside Forward on Support would help, as he would be drifting in and outside of the centre and to the flanks to get the ball into the box to players like Robben, Sandro, Lavezzi and Neymar.

Suggested roles for Arjen Robben and Ezequiel Lavezzi would be Advanced Playmaker on Attack and Poacher. As for the direct passing, it differs. The situations from the matches you play may dictate that direct passing would be dangerous. For example:

Your team may have high Passing, but your team's passes are more likely to be intercepted and retrieved by the opposition who may be on a similar level to yours or even superior. The counter-attacks would be much greater and frequent.

Or even just playing any team. The pitch would often determine whether or not it would be suitable. Long pitches that promote direct passing would be good, but also narrow pitches, as it can go through the centre and in to Lavezzi. You can try it, but also consider the pitch size, weather and the opposition's abilities. Would use it in a varied manner.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

You don't need to quote the whole post, it takes too much space. Also I would recommend to use language that everyone understands. Some users and lurkers don't speak English as their native language.

And to your question, there isn't one answer. That article gave you the basic things you need to consider when making a possession based tactic, rest is in your own hands. Good way to play your midfield is to use destroyer-passer-creator combo, where one of the midfielders, the destroyer, wins the ball to your team and plays simple passes to players near him, usually ballwinning midfielder on defend or defensive midfielder on defend. Passer is a deep lying playmaker style of player, drops deep to get the ball and tries to play it forward, also balancing your game, sometimes passing simple passes backwards to slow down a bit. Deep lying playmaker on support or defend is good choise. Last, the creator, looks to break the defensive line with through balls or runs from deep. Advanced playmaker or any of the roles of AMC should be suitable. You should just mix up a bit and see what works.

Indeed. Thank you for helping him out.

ahh my bad..i was in a hurry to make the previous post.......so had some typical keyboard error...any way thnx for da suggestion

No worries. Just remember to refer to the article by it's title, rather than quoting it next time.

some fantastic articles in here mate!

any idea when the next one will be up?

some fantastic articles in here mate!

any idea when the next one will be up?

Thank you Jones. :)

Well, now that I have a whole summer ahead of me, I would like to think that within the next couple of weeks. I have just got off a busy schedule so it should be quite soon.

Hi mate,
I have some questions about possession column, what the different with Hold Up Ball & Run With Ball? And how good when playing possession football, the playmaker with holding ball instruction or no? :)

Hi mate,
I have some questions about possession column, what the different with Hold Up Ball & Run With Ball? And how good when playing possession football, the playmaker with holding ball instruction or no? :)

To answer the following questions:

• The difference between holding up the ball and running with the ball is that holding up the ball brings other team-mates in to play and to support attacking moves or counter-attacks. Strikers usually do it so that they can get either the winger or the full back in support so that they can take the possession and probably put in a cross for the others. Running with the ball means that they have full control, the majority of the time, over what to do with it and are given freedom of choice in where to pass it or shoot.
Playmakers such as central midfielders can usually run with the ball often, as they can pick out passes that may be difficult for others to pick out, or take that shot from outside of the box that could be a crucial one. Running with the ball is more individual than team-working, as it means that the one with the ball is the one in full and total control over what to do with it. Others rely on him to do the job for them and to do something with it, as they are one of (if not) the best player on the team.

• I would advise against making the playmaker hold the ball up in a formation because they are more than likely not able to comprehend with the pressure from the opposition in terms of physical nature or stature, such as strength. Players that have high Aggression, Strength and Balance would be good candidates, but you could do this whereby the ball-winning midfielder holds up the ball and plays short passes, whilst the playmaker runs with the ball often, drifting forward into space and creating chances.

I just realized that I have not commented on the articles you have published here so here it goes

Slightly in love actually, a bit of a crush :wub::D

Status
Not open for further replies.