Reaction score
Yo, another player story! Loved a few of the ones so far, especially Lippo and the Leedsfans ones.

Hoping to include a little 'story' with mine.

Same PA/CA as the majority.

PLAYER FACTS:
Name - Calum James
DoB - 17th May 1998
PoB - Aberdeen, Scotland

//

Calum James spent the majority of his younger years with Aberdeen's youth squads, before getting a call at 15, alerting him that Celtic wanted him to join their Under 17 developmental squad, he was on the brink of 16 and was playing great football with talent scouts from across the UK interested in his trade.

However, school wasn't going great and his Italian Mums, American fiance was aggressive and wanted his school to go well, with football being seen as a hobby and not a career prospect.

Michael, the fiance, had the opportunity to return to New York to work with his former law firm and now the 16 year old Calum was forced to go, along with the Italian Mother and younger sister. Tarnishing his opportunity with Celtic but Michael did say he could look at getting Calum involved with a club around New York, to allow for Calum to continue playing.

//

Calum was clearly distraught over the prospect of leaving Celtic's developmental squad, as were Celtic and in an attempt to continue his progression Calum was given a huge boost as Celtic set him up with New York Red Bulls, who promised to take him in for the Summer before making any decisions on his future.

//

Last edited:
The small scout report sent over to New York from Glasgow regarding the creative central midfielder Calum James..

17f67fb4f72d9c7575a44eb050961827.png

Calum James appears in the North American Champions League!

9ff7119d01e144c22329a3ecb1189f96.png

In a quick post-match interview with Kick TV, the youngster said "I'm delighted that I've been given the opportunity to play, I just want to keep improving and continue to get game time."

The match was the youngsters 3rd match in as many months for the club.

//

Not much to really say, played 3 non-competitive matches too, starting at a decent Stateside club was going to be tough but hopefully chances come and I make a move across the pond to Europe!

Milestone!

The phone rang through in the living room and Calum hopped through to answer it.

It was his agent, Frank Dingwall, who Calum got linked up with by Celtic.

"Hey Calum, it's Frank! Some good news, Mark Wotte needs you to play in the u19 Euro Qualifiers. San Marino, Latvia.. and England! You free?"

"Yeah sure! That's great."

"He'd have phoned but international line costs and all that you know.."

The joke sucked and the conversation died, Frank emailed through flight and travel arrangements and he was set to go play for his country!

//

SQUAD:
5562413a61c96ede4da77083fa99ef6e.png

Story gets confusing - benefits of starting in the MLS! The American season ended, New York Red Bulls did nothing and I didn't touch the league..
Played 3 at the club, 2 came in the cup and 1 in a group stage NACL game.

I then got an "extension draft" Orlando City and got tossed into the Under 23s. #OrlandoCityBaby

It meant making a move from the family and living in a teammates spare room.. Saves money!

Agent wasn't happy about the move and Celtic responded to my call saying I couldn't join up with their 18s until May, if space was even available..​

Last edited:
Calum James turns down a stay at Orlando City, then a subsequent contract from Portland..

dc35f23b75b898d9d5dd4b3912bb5022.png

However, Calum James did get a phone interview with the men of BBC Scotland's Sportsound in a feature pre-match.

Sportsound: "Hi Calum, thanks for joining us. I personally don't know a whole lot about you, but hear you're very talented. Tell us a little about your American story."

CJ: "Yeah yeah, well I got brought over and managed to play with New York Red Bulls. I rarely featured, which is fine, I'm only 16 but got thrown across America to Orlando City. Which was alright, I was put with Kaka to learn more about my trade but things didn't work out. I fell out with a few teammates and the club and I opted to let me go."

Sportsound: "So what's next? I hear Celtic are a possible destination?"

CJ: "Yeah, I have spoken with a couple of Scottish clubs. Celtic's Head of Youth has spoken with me, it was always a possibility that I'd return to their 18s if this American thing didn't go to plan but we will see."

//

ccefd7d912e3fae92a7e31f8ea7c6d0d.png

Boyhood club Aberdeen are interested in bring Calum James back to Pittodrie, while Celtic are also setting up for making an offer..

As are Sporting Lisbon, who have some very solid youth facilities and brought through some very talented players.

Exciting!

May 12th 2015.​

Calum James had besides his phone scrolling through Twitter for the majority of the day. It was June 8th, the Scottish window opened and it was suspected a club would open up talks then if ever.

The phone rang.

"Hello, Mr James!"

The bellowing voice was his agent, Frank Dingwall.

"Good news and bad news. Chris McCart [Celtic HoY] has said their intake of youth players is done and there's no plans for anyone new. However, Derek McInnes HIMSELF wants you to come over to Scotland whenever you can to discuss terms. They'll cover your expenses! This is what you need, Calum."

"That's great, yeah sure. I'll fly tomorrow!"

//

Calum was welcomed by a middled-aged, bald Frank Dingwall at Heathrow, before they both got onto another flight to take them across the UK to Aberdeen.

"This is a huge opportunity for you, Calum. We're not going to try get you a big contract, or any guarantees playing wise because we both know that if you deserve it you will play for it and we know you will. We'll let them see you play and before you know it you'll be making dollar!"

//

adb3610628bae39f14feed48348c383c.png

8a5114155e2041032eedba340628e6d9.png

Hope to God I get some time on the pitch, could be a big year.​

Nice, hopefully you get some first team minutes this year!

Nice, hopefully you get some first team minutes this year!

Same! Playing in America didn't really work out, had a different idea for America but couldn't find a download that had the AM clubs incorporated properly, which is just impossible with the way it works and FM!

Same! Playing in America didn't really work out, had a different idea for America but couldn't find a download that had the AM clubs incorporated properly, which is just impossible with the way it works and FM!

Fair enough, I've never tried playing in America, too many weird rules haha

December 2015..

Time at Aberdeen hasn't be too great, nor too bad. Despite being seen as Aberdeen's future I have rarely featured. I featured in the Europa League for 42 minutes, including extra time, before we were knocked out on penos with me taking 0. I also featured in the League Cup twice, grabbing a goal and assist against Rangers in a 5-2 defeat. Still no injuries and I can't help but feel Aberdeen Under 20s isn't helping my development.

AIMS FOR 2016

• [*=center]Feature in the League
    [*=center]Average 6.8+
    [*=center]Feature in Under 19 set ups with Scotland
201a9447c51d497e592eefd44627de11.png

*Played 2 games in league since this was written up, 2 weeks later so shows I am getting a little involved*
835cd6be82dd966350a2c6b983d30b7d.png

e262bc7430d7217416499d2fd80f9586.png

It was moments like this that defined Football, moments where dominance is broken..

Aberdeen were on the brink of toppling Glaswegian dominance in Scotland. After a Matchday 37 victory at Pittodrie, Aberdeen were setting up to welcome Partick Thistle, one point ahead of Celtic.

Players dreamed of such a moment and it seemed Calum James was set to keep dreaming.

//

Yeah, hardly featured in the second half of the season.

63699c70095bcc5bfc8124dd0e320fa2.png

I have featured with the under 20s and had a massive 20 assists but struggling to break into the line-up at Pittodrie. They have played a 4-3-3 straight up, and I haven't been able to get into that midfield trio since they have had 0 injuries and all playing out their minds!

Attributes have gone up very little. Dribbling and a few mental's is all I notice.

b6831fe0310381a325dfbe9411a4956d.png

//

MATCH DAY 38!

Aberdeen need to equal or better the result of Celtic.

They opt for a 4-5-1, with 3 CM's and 2 AMC's.. Perfect for Calum James to feature, but instead he remains on the bench.

ABERDEEN TAKE THE LEAD - 6 Minutes - Ryan Seager

ABERDEEN DOUBLE THEIR LEAD! 14 Minutes - Ryan Seager

SEAGER DOES IT ALL! - 40 Minutes - Ryan Seager

HALF TIME -
ABERDEEN 3 - 0 Partick Thistle

Celtic continue to draw 0-0

Aberdeen with a double change at Half time, McGrandles and Fabio Castellano are replaced by Adam Rooney and David Goodwillie..

PARTICK THISTLE PULL ONE BACK! 58 Minutes - Alberto Cerri

CALUM JAMES IS BROUGHT ON FOR THE FINAL 15!

PARTICK THISTLE MAKE THINGS EXCITING! 79 Minutes - Alberto Cerri

CELTIC MAKE IT 1-0 at Dundee United!

GOODWILLIE SETTLES IT!

ABERDEEN ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF SCOTLAND!

4e6756832ace8c889512988059f036a6.png
//

Yoooo, that was exciting. Happy I ended my holiday to see Aberdeen in such a position.

//

Ecstatic that I featured on the final day, I was involved in Goodwillie's goal and featured in many moves. Was a scary final few, especially when Langfield pulled off a huge double save, moments after hearing the Partick Thistle chants of Celtic being 1 to the good.

One medal to add to the cabinet.

//

Onwards and upwards.​

Nice start to your career man! Glad that you are featuring in the 1st team too, especially in huge games like that title decider!

Nice start to your career man! Glad that you are featuring in the 1st team too, especially in huge games like that title decider!

Same, just a little sad I didn't feature more especially with how central Mr McInnes played!

Look at this madness! Tycoon takeover followed by mad Sponsorship cash - ahead of Celtic, Rangers and League winners Aberdeen!!!

f1ea3f160e7d58ae3febeea13198350c.png

Same, just a little sad I didn't feature more especially with how central Mr McInnes played!

Look at this madness! Tycoon takeover followed by mad Sponsorship cash - ahead of Celtic, Rangers and League winners Aberdeen!!!

f1ea3f160e7d58ae3febeea13198350c.png

St. Mirren of all teams! Thats unreal haha

The 2016/2017 season could have been a big one for me, it could have propelled my career and I really felt like that was going to happen. I had been pushed into the team and played in the title decider..

However, not everything works out that way..

Opening day of the season saw me start in a 1-0 loss against Motherwell. It wasn't great but I saw the minutes. I was hit with a concussion though and this cut my match short by 25 minutes.. or something like that.

Upon returning to training, I was excited and determined, the little time out followed by action caused knee tendinitis. Which sucked, good bye 4 months of my career. This saw us through to January by time I was fit and I had really fallen down the pecking order at Aberdeen, I gained a few pounds and Livingston were desperate to see me turnout for them.

Derek McInnes was prepared to give me a shot away from Aberdeen to let me clear my head and return the following season as a refreshed, fine player.

I played 4 matches, Daily Record had my match ratings average at around 7.1, which is decent and I was enjoying myself. Until I decided I was beating that pacey left back down the wing I should never have been on, pop and tear.. there goes the hamstring. Good bye Livingston, I was given time to recuperate and rest.

I played 5 matches that season, a season opener at Aberdeen and 4 consecutive games with Scottish League 1 winners Livingston.

I played under 20 games at Aberdeen when trying to recover but who cares about them.

//

Further note, officially I have 0 medals due to number of appearances! Even the big one at Aberdeen! The hunt goes on.

//

ps; injuries suck.

332e7a395292696e533a3870616dcc63.png

Least I am a star at Livingston :'(

04034a8ea2161b02a7690848507e7f6a.png

Progress also stagnating.

//

Aberdeen also failed to win the league.. While Livingston won League 1.. Maybe I am a factor in all this ;).​

Ouch, that's terrible luck with injuries! :( Hopefully you bounce back for the next season!

The call came on June 8th, the day the transfer window opened. It was Derek McInnes, directly.

"Hello Calum, hope you're enjoying your time off.. uh, well yeah."

It was awkward, while all players were on holiday, I'd been out all season.

"Yeah, gaffer. Guess so. Physio says I should be fit and healthy so just doing what I can while of course enjoying my 'time off'". I returned.

"It has been an awful season for you, I understand. It happens, injuries come to the best of us. You just have to bounce back and become a better, faster players. You still have time to become a great. Just believe."

I quickly tried to turn things real with a quick reply...

"Yeah, but for that to happen I need to play. Not just under 20 games, boss."

It was risky, but I have to play to progress.

"Yes, exactly. I was calling to say that you will be playing the season at Aberdeen."

//

I had one year left on my contract and really I felt it would just run its course and I'd be down a few leagues. That's certainly how I felt after that season of injuries. All I need is a chance and I can show the people of Scotland and most importantly Derek McInnes that I can play.

//

@CalumJames58: Love playing football! So happy to start a season and play with a club who trust #Aberdeen #GettingThere

@AberdeenFC: Calum James, after an impressive start to his season has made the Scotland 21s Squad who are trying to qualify for the Euros!! #Congrats

//

Made an appearance too!!

9e14588adf84b52c89a017f044c1f045.png