Firstly, i'm not being funny, but people need to stop chatting about supposed 'glitches' in the ME. Esepcially ones like 'my defence concedes stupid goals' or 'my players are really dumb'. This sort of player behaviour in the ME is almost definitely down to you being rubbish at the game (which is OK, i'm no genius). The annoying bit is that people are not prepared to admit that they might be at fault and instead blame SI for making a '**** game'.

Secondly, I am definitely finding it harder. Played with several teams across several divisions and as mentioned by earlier posters on this thread, there is more scope for things going wrong. It seems to me that each 'micro-scenario' or 'decision' in game is based on much more information than previous versions. Ergo, when you're player wants to clear the ball, shoot for goal or make a 45-yard pass, the ME takes into account more numbers and parameters.

In older versions of the game, it was pretty much good enough to set up a broadly attacking tactic, buy some sick players, then win every trophy possible within 5 years. In FM13, i'm finding that I need to know exactly what to say to my players (all the time :mad:) and the press to keep them in the mood, as well as researching the nuances of an opponents tactic in order to hopefully exploit a weakness. It's almost like the older versions had these features, but they didn't really affect your team.

Hopefully I haven't caused offence, I agree it is a harder game, but if it's doing your nut in, boot up FMC and win the treble with Scunthorpe. I've heard it's a walk in the park.

Firstly, i'm not being funny, but people need to stop chatting about supposed 'glitches' in the ME. Esepcially ones like 'my defence concedes stupid goals' or 'my players are really dumb'. This sort of player behaviour in the ME is almost definitely down to you being rubbish at the game (which is OK, i'm no genius). The annoying bit is that people are not prepared to admit that they might be at fault and instead blame SI for making a '**** game'.
Whilst I agree with the rest of what you said I find this to be a little disrespectful. The ME does have issues, you'd be an idiot to not admit that and defenders at times do just completely shut off. I'm one of the few people that seems to have no issue with scoring goals and getting tactics to work but even I'll admit the ME is far from perfect in terms of bugs and little issues.

Again I do agree with you that some issues are down to the players own tactics and way of setting their team up the ME is a fairly large factor in the way the game runs currently.

Vermaelans been rubbish in my Arsenal save and Mertersackers been outstanding.I think theres something SERIOUSLY wrong here
Same with me, Merts has been 7.7-7.8 every game he played, even without scoring and even when we lose (on the demo). 8)

Whilst I agree with the rest of what you said I find this to be a little disrespectful. The ME does have issues, you'd be an idiot to not admit that and defenders at times do just completely shut off. I'm one of the few people that seems to have no issue with scoring goals and getting tactics to work but even I'll admit the ME is far from perfect in terms of bugs and little issues.

Again I do agree with you that some issues are down to the players own tactics and way of setting their team up the ME is a fairly large factor in the way the game runs currently.

To be fair, I did regret this rant almost immediately after i'd posted it. I'm just gonna be honest and say that i've only really encountered animation glitches with the ME and they seem to have been fixed by the update last week.

Like I said, i'm not exactly amazing at the game, I guess I just see it all as a new challenge. I'd be disappointed if it got really easy when the full game is released.

Due to several problems earlier mentioned in this thread i recently (about 10 minutes ago) threw my labtop to the ground in a mix of sheer fury and suicidal thoughts! I kept losing to West Ham, me being Arsenal, and problems with throughballs and crosses being a true source to goal, for the opponent, and last but not least the goalkeeper (a mix of Vito Mannone having the attributes of a camel without legs (which is equal to reality) and him barely being able to catch a ball (maybe this also applies to reality?))
After this incident i turned to my old and loyal friend fm-base, to see if my skills suddenly had dropped, or the game was still not perfect, as you would suspect. So after reading this, my feng-shui fell to a normal level again, and after punishing my labtop a little more (I'm a bit of a saddist) I'll wait untill the official release to vomit bile again!
Cheers and enjoy the game, I'll try to do the same!

Through balls are a problem for me aswell. Does you team just pass the ball round the box for about 20 mins but not actually do anything with it? And when 1 of your players does get into the box instead of shooting he will pass it out wide?

Through balls are a problem for me aswell. Does you team just pass the ball round the box for about 20 mins but not actually do anything with it? And when 1 of your players does get into the box instead of shooting he will pass it out wide?

Yes DarloGeorge exactly the same with me, team keep playing the ball left to right and then right to left again so annoying! even when I play with a creative midfielder in the AMC role or a MC (AP) that player will still not look forward and play a through ball but look out wide.

Anyone out there, is because I have my team settings as playing wide? Anyone help with this?

Yes DarloGeorge exactly the same with me, team keep playing the ball left to right and then right to left again so annoying! even when I play with a creative midfielder in the AMC role or a MC (AP) that player will still not look forward and play a through ball but look out wide.

Anyone out there, is because I have my team settings as playing wide? Anyone help with this?
Apparently its a bug which is being fixed.

On another point, I may aswell not play with anyone in defence they are all useless anyway

the only thing i'm finding harder is scoring goals everything else is fine, its real hard to score this year I know its probably my tactics. but tbh I don't think I am going to bother buying this years edition till next year, I really don't like it so wanna wait and see how all the bugs and stuff are ironed out first, I just don't like the skin, and i'm bored of answering the same questions in press conferences already i mean some have been there since 08

Last edited:
Bugs aside (most of which will be fixed on release patch), expect this game to be considerably harder. If you are just trying to game the match engine via exploits, or if you are not logically thinking through how to attack and defend based on your players, players running through lines, link ups, overloads etc, not thinking how to motivate them etc, in short, thinking it through like a proper manager (if you want to see how to do this watch out for thebetterhalf's, and hopefully my, threads in future), you will get your **** handed to you by the opposition.

Bugs aside (most of which will be fixed on release patch), expect this game to be considerably harder. If you are just trying to game the match engine via exploits, or if you are not logically thinking through how to attack and defend based on your players, players running through lines, link ups, overloads etc, not thinking how to motivate them etc, in short, thinking it through like a proper manager (if you want to see how to do this watch out for thebetterhalf's, and hopefully my, threads in future), you will get your **** handed to you by the opposition.
I have no idea what you just said lol. I'm gona need to read your thread good

I've found it easier.. Finished 4th in my first game with Newcastle, also won the Europa League. And I'm currently 4th with Stoke after 26 games and in the League Cup final.

There is definitely a bigger near for good tactics this year.. And I'm not talking about tactics that use exploits to win (like 90% of successful tactics on previous FMs) but tactics that suit your players. At both Newcastle and Stoke I have created tactics that are as similar as I can make them (without actually playing FM as a full time job) to the real life teams, and it has massively paid off. Although, watching my stoke side win 2-1 and 1-0 over and over again with goals coming from set-peices hasn't been too exciting! FM has made huge steps forward in terms of realism (despite annoying ME bugs) and if you're planning on just buying all the wonderkids and playing a standard 451 you aren't going to get very far.

The only thing I find annoying is how ***** goalkeepers are at defending their near post.. They literally leave a 10 yard gap between themselves and the post. -.-

Also, quick tip.. Set all your players (not centre backs or GK) to "Through balls - often" makes for some epic football and awesome goals!

I've found it easier.. Finished 4th in my first game with Newcastle, also won the Europa League. And I'm currently 4th with Stoke after 26 games and in the League Cup final.

There is definitely a bigger near for good tactics this year.. And I'm not talking about tactics that use exploits to win (like 90% of successful tactics on previous FMs) but tactics that suit your players. At both Newcastle and Stoke I have created tactics that are as similar as I can make them (without actually playing FM as a full time job) to the real life teams, and it has massively paid off. Although, watching my stoke side win 2-1 and 1-0 over and over again with goals coming from set-peices hasn't been too exciting! FM has made huge steps forward in terms of realism (despite annoying ME bugs) and if you're planning on just buying all the wonderkids and playing a standard 451 you aren't going to get very far.

The only thing I find annoying is how ***** goalkeepers are at defending their near post.. They literally leave a 10 yard gap between themselves and the post. -.-

Also, quick tip.. Set all your players (not centre backs or GK) to "Through balls - often" makes for some epic football and awesome goals!

Goalkeepers are a mess, there are a bunch of release fixes for them, and they are keeping an eye on it. so fingers crossed. There is also a second patch later this month, so if you are still seeing issues, make sure to report them on the SI forums

Lads, I've just kept a clean sheet! It's a miracle!

Last edited:
I find that hard to believe.

Was 0-0 and just before half time Valdes comes to to pick the ball up under no pressure at all and it looks like he falls over and completly missed it. Sevilla striker takes the ball away from him and Mascherano runs back clears the ball off the line but blasts it against the post and back into Valdes's arms. Then I went on to win 7-0. Messi got 4

The main issue seems to be that the AI is inconsistent. Players dwelling on the ball, not reacting to an opponents attack, being out of position, not acting on instructions given. Thing I've seen that are leaving me annoyed are: defenders standing with the ball at their feet in front of their own goal, they get robbed and you're a goal down. Another is a winger gets past the full back and has a forward to aim for with a cross, but instead cuts back and drops a pass to his own full back. In the same vein, a forward is clean through on goal, dribbles into the area, then stops and dwells on the ball and is tackled by a defender who gets back. This isn't bad management, it's bad AI design. If a defender won't get rid of the ball, a winger won't cross, and a striker won't shoot, it's a flaw in the game design.

Well, I was struggling on the main game, so I decided to just hone myself in the slightly easier FM Classic. Two seasons in, a promotion and then european qualification for Cardiff. So, try to go back to the main game, have a good transfer window, get into the match and am 5-0 down to Fulham as Arsenal within 26 minutes.* Not a joke. I just cannot get any sort of performance out of my team, it's astonishing. May just stick to classic.

It was 8-0 in the 75th min when I just gave up and quit.

its been anounced a new ME will be put in place when then full game comes out.

Since the update, I have been completely and utterly dominated by every team I have faced. While the opposing teams pass with laser like precision, position well and win almost every challenge, my players are unable to pass to a teammate 5 meters away. No matter what kind of tactic I use, it always ends up the same, there is just no sign of any change. Very dissapointing so far.