Arsenal Report - Zonal Marking for Gooners

That's a 4-6-0 almost. But hey it worked I saw RVP was coming very deep but I didn't realise it was that deep

Arsenal 2-1 Barcelona: Gunners throw stick into magic roundabout | Arsenal Report http://t.co/zJhD27K

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 04:09 AM ----------

Since Arsenal Report doesn't cover FA Cup matches (we can't get access to stats for Avg positions, pass completion etc.) we'll be hosting a Live Blog for tomorrow's match at Leyton Orient.

I'll be writing Minute-by-minute (sort of) updates talking about the tactics used by both sides during the game so come and read!

We'll also have the second part of the 2010/11 tactic article (written by Ix Techau) ready by around Tuesday (we hope) so check back then!

In the meantime, you can follow us on twitter to keep up-to-date: @Arsenalreport.

Lastly, we're going to have some special pre-match tactical previews with some fellow bloggers and tactical know-hows writing a Scout Report feature for the opposition.

So far, we've lined up an Aston Villa, Liverpool and Man Utd writer - Feel free to e-mail us (see "About" page on blog) or tweet us if you fancy doing some writing for another team, though!

Last edited:
Normal service resumes on thursday night with a match report from the Arsenal - Stoke game. We'll have an IP and more graphics, as always.

Also - Remember to follow us on twitter via @arsenalreport / @jossbennett or @mantralux ...

Aaand - soon we'll have an updated IP so people commenting on the thread (on the site) can make their own and import it as a JPG into their comment, showing runs/passes etc.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:01 PM ----------

Arsenal Report will have a full tactical review of tonight's match between Arsenal and Stoke Ciy within 24 hours of kick-off. Check this thread and the site around 7pm and it should be done, packed with graphics and the usual IP.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:12 PM ----------

The new article is up for last night's match.

Arsenal 1-0 Stoke: Key injuries causing positional confusion

One of the most boring matches you're likely to see, but fascinating tactically so give it a read and tell us what you think!

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:27 PM ----------

Arsenal Report is on facebook!

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

OK after the article yesterday - who do people think should be Cesc's replacement over a long period of time? (Injured/sold)

Nasri? Wilshere? Ramsey? It's a tricky role to fill..

Nasri the form he is in, surely. However, Wilshere was very impressive against Barca. He showed experience beyond his years.

Read the article and it was a good read one of the best blogs? out there

On replacing Cesc. Arron Ramsey looks like he the best for the job. If we sign Edin Hazzard from Lille maybe he could play there aswell?

:)

Nasri the form he is in, surely. However, Wilshere was very impressive against Barca. He showed experience beyond his years.

Read the article and it was a good read one of the best blogs? out there

On replacing Cesc. Arron Ramsey looks like he the best for the job. If we sign Edin Hazzard from Lille maybe he could play there aswell?

:)

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Good to get some discussion going =)

@Tharros - I don't think Nasri is anything like as effective in the central position as he is as a sort of half-winger on the right, or an inside-forward on the left. The game against Stoke was the perfect example of this.. He wasn't used to it, and no one took responsibility so there was a lot of confusion & players got in each other's ways...

I think it's a common misconception to undervalue the importance and difficulty of Cesc's role. It's not so simple as just staying in between the lines and being involved wherever possible - he's such an intelligent player and he loves to control games and dictate the tempo, meaning that a lot of the time he drops into deeper positions. Nasri doesn't have the tactical awareness to do this, and would be better suited to playing it if Wilshere (a distributor, rather than destroyer) didn't play behind him.

It's mentioned in more detail on the blog but part of the reason Song and Wilshere work so well is because they're polar opposites - not many sides play 4-2-3-1 without two deep "destroyers" behind an attacking midfielder.

@Calum - Thanks!

Ramsey is probably the best option in the LT IMO.

Hazard says he'd rather go to Spain (don't we all?) so that doesn't look like a very likely transfer at the minute...

But does that mean you think we should replace Cesc with a signing, rather than promoting from within?

Very good site, obviously going to be slightly bias written by an Arsenal fan... But overall very good!

After the disappointment of last weekend's final loss - Arsenal need to respond in a tough clash at home to Sunderland, who will be equally hurt having lost four on the trot. An interesting tactical battle is inevitable, with Sunderland having already beaten Chelsea and drawing with Arsenal...

Arsenal Report will be covering the game as usual with a post-match report including stats and an Interactive Pitch. There may even be a Live Blog if we're not at the Emirates!

Aaron Ramsey's back in the squad for tomorrow :D dead excited, hope he gets a run out.

Aaron Ramsey's back in the squad for tomorrow :D dead excited, hope he gets a run out.

Really? Brilliant news (I've not had the internet for the past day or two so for once, I'm not the first person to get the Arsenal news on here! ;)).

Somehow doubt he'll play - more just for atmosphere etc. but he may do.

Sorry, may have worded it incorrectly - don't know if he's in the squad, but he's definitely available i.e. injury free, full fit. :)

Sorry, may have worded it incorrectly - don't know if he's in the squad, but he's definitely available i.e. injury free, full fit. :)

Oh right. Well he's been back for a week, but picked up a small knock a couple of weeks ago so I imagine he'll be given another week or so before playing (so he can get up to PL fitness in training) and he won't start a game for 2/3 weeks IMO.

I was talking to someone just now and he reckons because Cesc and Song are seemingly major doubts for the Barca tie Ramsey will start alongside Wilshere and Denilson/Diaby.. give over. I'm more worried about the attackers.

I was talking to someone just now and he reckons because Cesc and Song are seemingly major doubts for the Barca tie Ramsey will start alongside Wilshere and Denilson/Diaby.. give over. I'm more worried about the attackers.

Doubt that's true. Unless Song has had a major set back... AW said he would miss this weekend probably, but would certainly be back for Barca & I believe Cesc is 50:50 at the moment.

EDIT:

Song is indeed a doubt for Barca. Cesc has a bigger chance of making it, but both are doubts.

Last edited:
Looks great, although I'm not a gunner, I may follow. Is this your own site?

love the interactive pitch

Good to hear - if you check the AR [Labs] section, you can read a small summary of what the new, improved IP will have (we're going to have the option to include it in the comments section so readers can make their own to illustrate a point =))